The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

Since reading the article about it being 50 years to the day since its first release? I have had the music whizzing around my head all day!!!
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Man From Uncle Complete Feature Film Collection can be found reasonably priced on Amazon btw.
    All 8 films are extended, sexed-up versions of TV episodes, but the additional footage shot for the films, is less PG. eg Paluzzi's scenes in To Trap a Spy, would have been too "hot" for tv censors.
    Not a bad way to prepare for the upcoming film, by revisiting the original cinema offerings.
    51k4ZulFHbL.jpg
  • timmer wrote: »
    Man From Uncle Complete Feature Film Collection can be found reasonably priced on Amazon btw.
    All 8 films are extended, sexed-up versions of TV episodes, but the additional footage shot for the films, is less PG. eg Paluzzi's scenes in To Trap a Spy, would have been too "hot" for tv censors.
    Not a bad way to prepare for the upcoming film, by revisiting the original cinema offerings.
    51k4ZulFHbL.jpg

Ditto a shower scene with Senta Berger in The Spy With My Face.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 2,115
    Surprising only in its timing. The UNCLE movie has been given a PG-13 rating by MPAA for the U.S. market 11 months before release.

Speculation: I'm guessing the reshoots are complete and the movie is basically done. Recording of the score is underway.

http://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2014/09/24/u-n-c-l-e-movie-gets-pg-13-rating/
  • The Man From UNCLE original series being re-issued by Warner Home Video in November.

This will include the same extras as in the 2007 release, but the packaging will be different.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Man-UNCLE-The-Complete-Series/20324
    Looks good. The same set, but packaged differently.
    Personally I like my Uncle briefcase packaging.
    I often put on one of my Uncle suits, grab the case and go out the door on mission.
    There is a local tailor shop that I like to drop by. :D
  • Recap of a busy week, where news of UNCLE 1.0 (the original show) and 2.0 (the movie) collided.

http://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2014/09/27/u-n-c-l-e-the-week-that-was/
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Love all this UNCLE info coming our way! :) Really looking forward to the movie.
  • Warner Bros. announced that Henry Cavill will be involved with four movies (the current Batman/Superman, two Justice League and another Superman standalone) as Superman. If the UNCLE movie is successful, will he have time to do an UNCLE sequel. (Yes, putting the cart before the horse, but just wondering...)

http://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2014/10/15/update-can-henry-cavill-do-u-n-c-l-e-sequels/
    Warner Bros. announced that Henry Cavill will be involved with four movies (the current Batman/Superman, two Justice League and another Superman standalone) as Superman. If the UNCLE movie is successful, will he have time to do an UNCLE sequel. (Yes, putting the cart before the horse, but just wondering...)

http://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2014/10/15/update-can-henry-cavill-do-u-n-c-l-e-sequels/

Well he will not be short of work in the coming years that's for sure!
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 4,622
    If the new movie does well, maybe Cavill could simply be replaced.
    Movie fans' thirst for more Uncle might be enough for a second film.
    Cavill I consider to be an adequate choice to play Solo, but no more, unless he dazzles.
    There may be a more dashing Solo actor out there, ripe to take over what Cavill helped to get off the ground.
    That great a Sequel. Like The Equalizer sequel is also in the works with Denzel Washington returning to role. I be looking forward to that.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    timmer wrote: »
    If the new movie does well, maybe Cavill could simply be replaced.
    Movie fans' thirst for more Uncle might be enough for a second film.
    Cavill I consider to be an adequate choice to play Solo, but no more, unless he dazzles.
    There may be a more dashing Solo actor out there, ripe to take over what Cavill helped to get off the ground.

I hope not, I hate actors replacement.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 11,119
    A first Warner Brothers publicity shot of Solo, Napoleon Solo (played by Henry Cavill):

cavillsolo.jpg

Also, there seems to be rather positive Twitter comments by someone who has seen the first teaser trailer:

@aaronkaj Watched the trailer for The Man From U.N.C.L.E. Henry Cavill should be the next James Bond.

Really, 2015 will be a year full of spies. Whose mission will be most succesful? That of James Bond, Ethan Hunt or perhaps even Napoleon Solo ;-)?
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 2,115
    A first Warner Brothers publicity shot of Solo, Napoleon Solo (played by Henry Cavill):

cavillsolo.jpg

Also, there seems to be rather positive Twitter comments by someone who has seen the first teaser trailer:

@aaronkaj Watched the trailer for The Man From U.N.C.L.E. Henry Cavill should be the next James Bond.

Really, 2015 will be a year full of spies. Whose mission will be most succesful? That of James Bond, Ethan Hunt or perhaps even Napoleon Solo ;-)?

It's not an official Warner Bros. image. It's a fan one (a fan who occasionally posts here but hasn't in a while).

He took a 2013 image of Henry Cavill that came out during publicity for Man of Steel. It's very good but note how the shadow doesn't quite match Cavill's right hand.

cavillsolo.jpg

It's not an official Warner Bros. image. It's a fan one (a fan who occasionally posts here but hasn't in a while).

He took a 2013 image of Henry Cavill that came out during publicity for Man of Steel. It's very good but note how the shadow doesn't quite match Cavill's right hand.

Thanks @AlexanderWaverly ;-). You are right. Are you a bit excited to see this film?
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 2,115

Thanks @AlexanderWaverly ;-). You are right. Are you a bit excited to see this film?

I am. Henry Cavill wasn't my first choice for Solo. To be honest, I had never thought about him until he emerged. But I was intrigued. During filming last year, I saw various "Easter Eggs" of visual touches that evoked the series (Solo's pinkie ring, Kuryakin's turtleneck, etc.). But I think it will be a largely new take, similar to how Ritchie did a different take on Sherlock Holmes while incorporating elements of the original.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 11,119

I am. Henry Cavill wasn't my first choice for Solo. To be honest, I had never thought about him until he emerged. But I was intrigued. During filming last year, I saw various "Easter Eggs" of visual touches that evoked the series (Solo's pinkie ring, Kuryakin's turtleneck, etc.). But I think it will be a largely new take, similar to how Ritchie did a different take on Sherlock Holmes while incorporating elements of the original.

I'm getting excited for this movie as well. And not just for this movie. 2015 seems to shape up as one hell of a year for fans of spy/action movies. In this topic, http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/7447/2015-may-be-the-biggest-movie-year-ever#latest , I did a small prediction of possible worldwide box office grosses, because we seriously get all these fantastic franchise films:
    --> $ 875 - $ 975 Million: "Fast & Furious 7" (will be greatly "helped" by Paul Walker's death)
    --> $ 850 - $ 950 Million: "Bond 24" (will still profit greatly from "Skyfall's" success)
    --> $ 725 - $ 825 Million: "Mission: Impossible 5" (now this will be competing with Bond 24)
    --> $ 525 - $ 600 Million: "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." (Guy Ritchie, the guy behind the rebooted Sherlock Holmes)
    --> $ 350 - $ 475 Million: "Kingsman: The Secret Service" (I think this will do way better than many think)
    --> $ 175 - $ 275 Million: "Tak3n" (director: Olivier Megaton)
    --> $ 150 - $ 225 Million: "Hitman 2: Agent 47" (it has Vaughn, but no real star cast)

Okay, I'm gonna start preparing for a wunderful year of espionage ;-). Starting with "The Return Of The Man From U.N.C.L.E.", the 1983 TV-movie, with Robert Vaughn, David McCallum, George Lazenby, Patrick MacNee and Anthony Zerbe ;-).
  • The Man From UNCLE episode guide, one of the first fan UNCLE websites, is back online after a couple of months.

http://uncleepisodeguide.wordpress.com/

From 2008 until this summer, it had been housed at the now-defunct Her Majesty's Secret Servant site. When that site went down, it took the UNCLE episode guide down with it.

The episode guide is still under reconstruction but it's taking shape.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Nice site!!
    Check out "The Golden Anniversary Affair" Facebook page for all kinds of new UNCLE updates.
  • More updating and tweaking on The Man From UNCLE episode guide. I'm posting this separately: a link to a part of the site about major UNCLE-007 connections.

Five entries have been added: Ken Adam and Jane Seymour (their UNCLE connection is what could have been, as opposed to what was) and Henry Cavill, Leavesden Studio and Terry Bamber (who worked on the crew of several Bond movies as well as the new UNCLE movie)

http://uncleepisodeguide.wordpress.com/u-n-c-l-e-s-ties-with-james-bond/
    Yeoman's work @alexanderwaverly!
    Here's another one for your Bond-Uncle tie-ins.

Richard Loo ( Hai Fat in the TMWTGG) plays Thrush operative Dr. Yahama in Uncle Season 2, Episode 30, The Indian Affairs Affair(1966).
  • timmer wrote: »
    Yeoman's work @alexanderwaverly!
    Here's another one for your Bond-Uncle tie-ins.

Richard Loo ( Hai Fat in the TMWTGG) plays Thrush operative Dr. Yahama in Uncle Season 2, Episode 30, The Indian Affairs Affair(1966).

Thanks, Timmer. I have added and given you a shoutout.
    More news on the actual film: http://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2014/10/27/cavill-says-u-n-c-l-e-movie-has-comedic-element/

According to Henry Cavill, playing U.N.C.L.E. spy Napoleon Solo, the upcoming spy movie (August 2015) has Roger Moore-esque comedic elements. Interesting ;-).
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Meh, I hope that the comedic element won't influence the movie too much. I was hoping for a darker and more serious tone.
    And that's from me, who enjoys Die Another Day.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Hahahahahaha, that's SO funny!!! :))
    I much prefer the Girl From Uncle approach to the Dench as M , reckless "take the bloody shot" approach.