Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote:
    Hey Hey HEY! Only William Shatner can talk like that! X(

I believe he does hold the TM on that, yes.
    I was actually enthusiastic when I learned that they chose Quantum of Solace for the title of Bond 22. I still think it is a great title.
  • Ludovico wrote:
    I was actually enthusiastic when I learned that they chose Quantum of Solace for the title of Bond 22. I still think it is a great title.

Loved this:

Controversial opinion:

I don't like the "other fella" line in OHMSS. It makes me cringe more than the "tip up" line in DAD ever did.
    Controversial opinion:

I don't like the "other fella" line in OHMSS. It makes me cringe more than the "tip up" line in DAD ever did.
    Birdleson wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Controversial opinion:

It took me years (decades) to come to terms with that. Now I actually like it.

I've been never been bothered by it. I quite like it when filmmakers break the fourth wall.
  • I don't mind when filmmakers break the 4th wall (I don't mind the Bond tune being played in Octopussy) but the "other fella" line just feeds the fire of the "code name" theory group.
    Birdleson wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Controversial opinion:

I've been never been bothered by it. I quite like it when filmmakers break the fourth wall.

Perhaps its Laz's delivery as well as the line itself but I've always cringed when its come on.
    Birdleson wrote:
    I don't mind when filmmakers break the 4th wall (I don't mind the Bond tune being played in Octopussy)

That is the one that kills me.

Now you see I don't really mind that one. It's kind of cheesy but Moore handles it well. The Tarzan yell is a different story though.
  • Octopussy was Moore's best Bond movie.

The 1980s Bond films is an underrated era.
    I don't mind when filmmakers break the 4th wall (I don't mind the Bond tune being played in Octopussy) but the "other fella" line just feeds the fire of the "code name" theory group.

I liked the line, but I not the bastard child (so to speak) it spawned.
    I like the PTS of FYEO.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote:
    I like the PTS of FYEO.

Me too. I love the enjoyment on Roger's face as he's about to dump Blofeld. :)
    chrisisall wrote:
    I like the PTS of FYEO.

I've never had any real problems with it either. The Margaret Thatcher stuff at the end bothers me a little though. It's the kind of thing that should have been on a charity show as a sketch.
  • RC7RC7
    The 1980s Bond films is an underrated era.

Along with the 60's it's the most solid decade in the franchise, IMO.
    chrisisall wrote:
    I like the PTS of FYEO.

I am of two minds about it. I find Moore a very convincing widower Bond, but not sure Bond, even Moore's Bond, would have dispatched the murderer of his wife so casually, so dispassionately. Especially since he was grieving her a moment ago. I know part of the PTS's intention was to show the middle finger (or the two fingers) at Kevin McClory, but still. The PTS of FYEO is so darn schizophrenic.
    An angry wordless look would have served better than that pat on the head for me, but maybe Bond was slipping to the Dark Side for just a moment. ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    chrisisall wrote:
    I like the PTS of FYEO.

If you turn off the sound, it is one of the best. The helicopter stunt is amazing, and done for real. Also nice to see Bond visit the grave.
    Now that I understand the 'stainless steel' reference, I realise that it's Blofeld losing what little is left of his mind. I'll leave the sound on. :)>-
    chrisisall wrote:
    Now that I understand the 'stainless steel' reference, I realise that it's Blofeld losing what little is left of his mind. I'll leave the sound on. :)>-
    In the novel, a mad Blofeld created a pandemonium. In the movies, he uttered crazy things and played with a remote control helicopter. I guess Bond couldn't be angry, seeing his nemesis so pathetic.
    Lazenby has more of a screen presence than Dalton.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Lazenby has more of a screen presence than Dalton.

Agree 100%, I'm not bashing Tim, I'm a great fan of his interpretation of Bond, but George just looks and moves so much like I imagine Fleming's Bond to be, yes we could quibble about the couple of scenes where his lack of acting experience does show, but to me on screen he has the presence of James Bond, Tim has more the presence of an enthusiastic drama teacher...just my humble opinion!

• Dalton's problem is that he's a stage actor, and therefore overacts. Compare his RAGE FACE when Saunders is killed to Connery's subtle fuming in M's office after Jill's death. Dalton has many strengths, but one defining weakness.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 11,189
    I too have thought Dalton sometimes has the presence more of a stuffy teacher than Bond.

I think Dalton overall is the better actor but, as I've said before quite a few times, he's also got a small screen quality about him. You can imagine him in a drama on television.

Laz does have some wince-inducing line deliveries but one can't deny that he does look strikingly handsome. At the same time though he can blend into a crowd - as shown during the ski chase/meet up with Tracy.
  • I love the bit in DAD where he waltzes into the hotel and asks for his usual suite. I thought it was one of the few funny bits in the film.
    Dalton's problem is that he's a stage actor, and therefore overacts. Compare his RAGE FACE when Saunders is killed to Connery's subtle fuming in M's office after Jill's death. Dalton has many strengths, but one defining weakness.

While I'm not sure I'd call it over-acting I do see your point. There's a dramatic style to Dalton's acting. Compare his reaction to finding Della to Laz's reaction to discovering Tracy has been shot beside him. For me George's double take is more powerful than Tim's dramatic "DELLA!!" and angry face.

However I do really like the scene a few minutes before when he smiles and walks away after Della tosses him the wedding thingy from her foot. A nice subtle, tender moment.

SOMETIMES though with Tim it does look a bit like he's acting.

I love the bit in DAD where he waltzes into the hotel and asks for his usual suite. I thought it was one of the few funny bits in the film.

I don't mind it either. I always smile at the "just surviving" line.
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2014 Posts: 10,512
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Laz does have some wince-inducing line deliveries but one can't deny that he does look strikingly handsome. At the same time though he can blend into a crowd - as shown during the ski chase/meet up with Tracy.

I never thought of Lazenby as being particularly handsome. He's quite striking, namely because of his height and physique, but those ears. I also think Lazenby gives off an aura of simple-mindedness. With the others, I sense there is something going on in their heads, a level of intelligence behind the eyes. I never got that with Lazenby.

RC7 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

I never thought of Lazenby as being particularly handsome. He's quite striking, namely because of his height and physique, but those ears. I also think Lazenby gives off an aura of simple-mindedness. With the others, I sense there is something going on in their heads, a level of intelligence behind the eyes. I never got that with Lazenby.

I understand your point to an extent and would definitely say there's a "simple-mindedness" in his earlier scenes. Sometimes he has a blank look on his face and simply "says" his lines. The bull fighting scene is a case-in-point. You can feel the frustration of Tracy and Draco as they argue but with Laz he just seems to deliver his dialogue with little feeling or emotion (like Broz he also purses his lips together). One of his poorer scenes.

I was just saying that physically he seems to have a confident swagger that Dalton didn't really have. He has more...umph on camera if that makes sense.
  • Birdleson wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Controversial opinion:

The best instance of fourth wall-breaking is Vijay playing the Bond theme on the recorder whilst charming a cobra when Bond arrives in India.

• chrisisall wrote:
    I like the PTS of FYEO.

Not one of my favs. It's fine until Blofeld and Conti's cheesy score make their appearance, then it does straight down the smokestack.