The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

• delfloria wrote:
    Principal production has wrapped on the U.N.C.L.E. feature. The next big news will be..... who the composer is and the release date.

Related question: when might the first teaser trailer come out?

Strictly a guess: it might get attached to 300: Rise Of An Empire, which has a March 2014 release date.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1253863/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    timmer wrote:
    bump!

News alert!! Amazon Canada has a good price on Complete Man From Uncle TV series Briefcase set. Its jammed with extras and includes original colour pilot plus one of the cinema releases. Must buy.
    It's a prized possession along with my Bond movie collection.
    Sometimes I put on a suit, grab the case, and go out the door on a mission.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/ref=pe_168560_60697690_pe_row1_b2/?ASIN=B00005JM5Z

51HwF-jpZtL._SL500_.jpg

51eoxW9xTlL.jpg

I have to say that that is a pretty cool looking box set!

:-bd
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 4,622
    Coolest Box set ever made. Coolest TV show ever made. Actually tied with the Avengers (John Steed and co. English spyfy). One show is as good as the other.

I just wish the box set had come with an Uncle Agent triangle pin. I would like to be able to pin the pin to my suit, when I go off on missions, when in Uncle facilities that is.

Back in the day the TV producers used to mail out Uncle Agent ID cards. I'd like one of those too.
    Maybe such goodies will come with the new film's blu-ray release.
    If someone even issued an Uncle official-suit clothing line, I'd buy.
  • Misha Kuznetsov has now posted a pic of himself and Armie Hammer and has revealed the film should be out in December 2014
    AHymTpp-1_U.jpg
    From a Laney retweet:

Here is a crew hoodie for the 2013 U.N.C.L.E. Crew. Yep, 50 years later.

[img][/img]Bb8tw7cIMAA6rBn_zps1e13671b.jpg
  • delfloria wrote:
    From a Laney retweet:

He got a U.N.C.L.E. Jacket by Barbour as well

Bb8s4-yIgAAsA5Q.jpg

The back of the coat
    Bb8s95FIYAARY7B.jpg

• Armie Hammer and Henry Cavill headshots for The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

tumblr_mxyl26J2vV1r5rdb3o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mxyl26J2vV1r5rdb3o2_r1_1280.jpg

Thanks to @FibroBunny on twitter for sharing them.
    Earlier on, production left off the last period at the end of UNCLE. The fact that they are now adding the last period in U.N.C.L.E. is promising.

delfloria wrote:
    From a Laney retweet:

He got a U.N.C.L.E. Jacket by Barbour as well

Bb8s4-yIgAAsA5Q.jpg

The back of the coat
    Bb8s95FIYAARY7B.jpg

• Escape from sinking truck stunt scene being filmed for The Man From UNCLE back in November.
    tumblr_mz1jes1zKP1r5rdb3o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mz1jes1zKP1r5rdb3o2_1280.jpg
    Henry was practicing for a scuba scene around then
    tumblr_mz1jes1zKP1r5rdb3o3_r1_1280.jpg
    Thanks to Andrew JP Taw for the pics
    Post production is getting ready.

The UK visual effects house will do work on Guy Ritchie's "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." for Warner Bros. in the new Canadian facility.

TORONTO - British digital visual effects company Cinesite is launching a Canadian outpost, and has Guy Ritchie's The Man From U.N.C.L.E. for Warner Bros. as its first gig.
    As a Torontonian I am very proud that our fair city is engaged in the production of this landmark film!
    The movie event of 2014!
    I'm sure you're more proud of this film than you are of Mayor Ford right now eh @timmer? ;-)
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 4,622
    I'm sure you're more proud of this film than you are of Mayor Ford right now eh @timmer? ;-)

Actually I love the big baboon. He's a man of the people, but that's for us Torontonians to discuss in our cafes bars and sporting venues.
    We will pass judgement on the big reprobate come the October election.
    Timmer, hate to say it but I think the article may have originated out of Toronto but I believe the CINESITE facilities is actually in....................... Montreal.
  • delfloria wrote:
    Timmer, hate to say it but I think the article may have originated out of Toronto but I believe the CINESITE facilities is actually in....................... Montreal.

Montreal/London Joint project between the 2 locations.

I know you fashionista's are dying to know who is making the suits so came across this the other day http://timothyeverest.co.uk/blog/?p=3263

In his year end review Timothy Everest, MBE revealed he worked on a few film projects this year, his favourite being The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

Re Cinesite, I am very proud then for the good people of Montreal, (4-5 hour drive east) for their involvement in the film event of 2014. Bravo!!
    Montreal has crazy mayors too, that get tossed out of office for corruption and other fun stuff.
    I think Thrush may have taken over both City Hall's and installed their people.
    The world truly needs Uncle. May the revival have a long run.

I'm thinking I might watch this film at least 5 times in cinema, which is my standard viewing for a new Bond film. Uncle will get the same respect, maybe more if the music and general Uncle vibe is real good.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Do we know who will be doing the score?
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited February 2014 Posts: 4,450
    I expect Hans Zimmer because of Sherlock Holmes 1&2, he have only 2 projects for this year. David Arnold mabey. Because a producer/writer working on Harry Potter 7 & 8 Alexandre Desplat can have been option, but he and James Horner (work with Zimmer before) to bissy in 2014-2016.
  • M_Balje wrote:
    I expect Hans Zimmer because of Sherlock Holmes 1&2, he have only 2 projects for this year. David Arnold mabey. Because a producer/writer working on Harry Potter 7 & 8 Alexandre Desplat can have been option, but he and James Horner (work with Zimmer before) to bissy in 2014-2016.

Back in October, Zimmer sounded doubtful he'd be able to do UNCLE.

http://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2013/10/14/zimmer-scoring-u-n-c-l-e-movie-looks-doubtful/
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited February 2014 Posts: 16,333
    M_Balje wrote:

Back in October, Zimmer sounded doubtful he'd be able to do UNCLE.

http://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2013/10/14/zimmer-scoring-u-n-c-l-e-movie-looks-doubtful/

That's good news. I'm not a fan of Zimmer's current works. He does the same thing in every movie now. His music is generic and themeless. You can only do so much with looped beats and DUN DUNNNN's. Get Michael Giacchino, David Arnold, Alan Silvestri or Danny Elfman. There way more talented and better composers out there than Hans Zimmer.
    Just stating the obvious here.

IGN: You were there for the beginning of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Lee: Well, I’m glad they invited me, because I did the first S.H.I.E.L.D. story in the comics with Jack Kirby. I love the whole concept of S.H.I.E.L.D.. I don’t know if you’d remember, but years ago, there was a television show called The Man from U.N.C.L.E., and U.N.C.L.E. was a secret organization and so forth. I got the idea for S.H.I.E.L.D. from U.N.C.L.E.. I thought it’d be great to have an organization like that, but because we were doing comic books, I’d make it bigger and more colorful and more far out. We had a book called Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos, which we stopped publishing after awhile. The fans would wonder, “What happened to Sgt. Fury? Where is he now?” So it occurred to me that if I did this group S.H.I.E.L.D., why not put Sergeant Fury at the head of it, except he’d now be a Colonel. So he’d be Colonel Fury and the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. — and that’s how it all started. I loved the idea, and I’m so glad that it’s a TV series. As it moves along, I hope it just gets wilder and wilder.
  • delfloria wrote:
    Just stating the obvious here.

IGN: You were there for the beginning of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Lee: Well, I’m glad they invited me, because I did the first S.H.I.E.L.D. story in the comics with Jack Kirby. I love the whole concept of S.H.I.E.L.D.. I don’t know if you’d remember, but years ago, there was a television show called The Man from U.N.C.L.E., and U.N.C.L.E. was a secret organization and so forth. I got the idea for S.H.I.E.L.D. from U.N.C.L.E.. I thought it’d be great to have an organization like that, but because we were doing comic books, I’d make it bigger and more colorful and more far out. We had a book called Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos, which we stopped publishing after awhile. The fans would wonder, “What happened to Sgt. Fury? Where is he now?” So it occurred to me that if I did this group S.H.I.E.L.D., why not put Sergeant Fury at the head of it, except he’d now be a Colonel. So he’d be Colonel Fury and the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. — and that’s how it all started. I loved the idea, and I’m so glad that it’s a TV series. As it moves along, I hope it just gets wilder and wilder.

Stan has a few memory lapses in that IGN interview. While the UNCLE influence is definite (one of SHIELD's covers was a barber shop), his depiction of the sequence of SHIELD development isn't correct. Details here:

http://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2014/02/01/stan-lee-to-make-appearance-on-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d/

Main thing: Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD and Sgt. Fury *were published at the same time*, making Nick one of the few characters to appear in two different titles set in two different time periods. Also, the first look at a post World War II Nick Fury occurred in a 1963 Fantastic Four comic, two years before SHIELD debuted.

• David rules out U.N.C.L.E. cameo for second time.

David McCallum has ruled out a cameo in Guy Ritchie's The Man from U.N.C.L.E movie.

The NCIS actor starred in the NBC television show of the same name from 1964 to 1968. It focused on two top agents of the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement.

McCallum believes a cameo in the film adaptation would be a bad idea, telling Digital Spy: "They're wise enough to know that it becomes a gimmick.

"I don't want to do it, and they don't want me to do it."

The star added that he is unsure whether The Man from U.N.C.L.E would work today, arguing that the concept was "very specific" to the '60s.

"To do it as a period piece in the '60s would be one thing," said McCallum, "but to take all those characters and bring them up to date... I just don't see how you can make it different.

"Hopefully, it will be a great success. I wish them all the best."

Henry Cavill, Armie Hammer and Hugh Grant lead the cast of the Man from U.N.C.L.E movie adaptation.

McCallum currently stars in NCIS season 10, which starts tonight (February 5) at 9pm on Channel 5.
    [url="
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a548981/nciss-david-mccallum-rules-out-cameo-in-the-man-from-uncle-movie.html"]
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a548981/nciss-david-mccallum-rules-out-cameo-in-the-man-from-uncle-movie.html[/url]

Fair enough he doesn't want to come back but pity he was misinformed that it was set in the present day. Its still set in the 60's.

• The New York Times on Feb. 5 had a review about a book about Edward Snowden. It has an UNCLE reference about some NSA codenames for specific operations (referring to them as having "Man From U.N.C.L.E." style names.
  • The U.N.C.L.E. movie I have been reliably informed is 'in the can'..so to speak.
    Possibly release date Nov-December 2014.Which would make it miss the 50th anniversary which would September 2014.If anybody is really interested in the story of how U.N.C.L.E. really...came to be ...check out this website.

http://for-your-eyes-only.com/Site/UNCLE_history.html
    The For Your Eyes Only site is quiet amazing.

Also there is a new book out about car customizer Gene Winfield which features the U.N.C.L.E. Car! For more info check out:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Uncle-Files/218378861663842
    I think Uncle could be filmed in the present time. It doesn't have to be a '60s show. Trick is just to maintain the general vibe and attitudes of the characters.
    Uncle, like Bond, can be timeless.
    In fact I would prefer that any new Uncle movies be shot in the present. Same actors. Just suddenly Solo and Kuryakin are here in 2014 battling the forces of Thrush.
    Personally, I'd leave Solo and Illya as part of U.N.C.L.E.'s history and create new characters that would reflect today's culture.

Meanwhile the ASTON MARTIN from "The Return of the Man from U.N.C.L.E." is looking for a new home........... It's part of the Dezer Collection.

Real estate developer and collector Michael Dezer is planning to sell of his swath of James Bond vehicles after failing to draw a crowd with his unofficial 007 exhibit.

Whilst the official 'Designing 007' exhibition is proving immensely popular as it tours major cities around the world, Dezer's home base in North Miami is not proving much of a magnet to Bond aficionados.

Dezer put the unofficial exhibit of 60 Bond vehicles and other memorabilia together after acquiring and merging other collections, such as the 'Cars of the Stars' exhibit in the UK. All the Bond vehicles were shipped to the USA.

With tickets costing $25 for entry in to the building that houses the Bond vehicles, some visitors have commented that attendance was in the single figures on some days.

Ironically, Dezer's sale notice states that the US is not a good location for a Bond exhibit and the vehicles should be put on show somewhere in Europe (tell that to the International Spy Museum in DC, or the MoMA in NYC). Dezer has assigned a UK-based agent to handle the sale, with the price tag of £20 million.
    A dedicated car exhibit has logistics issues. It takes up a lot of space. I think the way to do it might be to exhibit two-three cars at at time at various fairs and misc events.
    Try and a build a business model that way, by strategically moving cars around to where the people are.
    In the meantime, maintain the home base as a permanent exhibit but keep admission costs reasonable. Miami doesn't sound like the ideal location.
  • Possibly no Man from U.N.C.L.E. until February 2015, too many films released in Nov/Dec, will update when i hear more :(