Sir Henrys passing

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @4Ever thank you for your efforts to get in touch with the family!
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 479
    Very upsetting news. It is quite saddening to find one of the community's most respected members has passed. My condolences to his family and friends.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    My deepest condolences! SirHenry was a very nice lad, I'm glad I got to chat about Bond with him.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    edited January 2014 Posts: 2,630
    Deep condolences goes to his family. I remember SirHenry as a user, very respected around here.
  • TubesTubes The Hebrew Hammer
    I can't say I knew SirHenry very well, but seeing the outpouring from people I remember and respect shows me how much he meant to this community. A death in the family indeed.

Rest in peace.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    From @4EverBonded, who is currently at work:

Well, today I can share two photos of Greg, with everyone. I have permission to post the photo that was just sent to me today - it was sent from Ed (Greg's longtime friend). This is one of the photos shown at Greg's memorial service the other night. That will be the first one below, with his beloved wife, Patty. The 2nd one below, I had given to me from Greg. So now, you can all put a nice face to go with Greg's (Sir Henry's) name ...

In memory of Greg Ferrell, SirHenryLeeChaChing:

t0w5.jpg

jzlb.jpg
  • The images aren't showing up. It might be my computer or it might be the images.
  • They showed up now, for whatever reason. Thanks for the images. It's at once comforting and depressing to know so much more about Sir Henry/Greg now.
  • Dragonpol2Dragonpol2 The Crazy World of Daniel Dragonpol
    Really nice to finally see Sir Henry, so sad it had to be on this occasion. Thanks, @DarthDimi.
    Only just read the news maybe half an hour ago. I haven't stopped crying yet - and I didn't even know him well. Just absolutely terrible. I'm so sorry for your loss, Alex, and also my deepest condolences to all those who knew him personally. We will all miss him here, too.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Sad all over again...
  • Really shocked to hear about this, as I had no idea that SirHenry was at all in ill health. Having known him as a poster for a good few years across at least three different Bond forums (going right back to the days of KTBEU, the old MI6), he was a member I often debated with but always had maximum respect for. That respect came from the quality of his posts and his consistently upheld opinions and beliefs. He was a true Bond fan, the passionate kind of fan who really knew his stuff, the kind of member who made me become involved with Bond forums in the first place, assuring me that intelligent and well-written discussions could be had. SirHenry/Greg always delivered on that, and I'll miss him and his posts a lot.

But, as much as I respected him as a Bond fan, right now I see him as an obviously fine human being and devoted father and, to that end, I'd just like to offer my sincerest condolences to Alex and the rest of Greg's family at what will obviously be a terrible time for them right now.

It was an absolute pleasure to have known you, Greg. Rest In Peace, "SirHenry".

- Laz.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2014 Posts: 12,459
    That was lovely and well said, @Lazenby.
    I am a newcomer to the forum compared to Greg. It is always nice to hear someone mention how long they have been communicating with Greg/SirHenry over the past many years.

Alex had said the cause was hardening of the arteries; however, I do not know if Greg was ever aware of that condition. If so, he didn't say to me he had a health concern or was in ill health at all. But I am a relatively new friend, so I don't claim to know much. Just that he was my friend, we talked about many things and often, and he was a genuinely great member here. It is sad, yet comforting, to read all these nice tributes to him from everyone.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 3,564
    "I read the news today, oh boy..."

I've been out of town on business, and have returned to find the sad news, and the glowing tributes. I'm in shock. Tears will come in a bit...but now I'm comforted by the outpouring of fond memories. Great visual tribute, @OBrady. Wonderful words, @Darth, @Wizard, @Lazenby, and so many others. And thank you for being you, dear @4Ever.

I am glad to have known Greg/SirHenry for these past few months. We bonded over Bond, of course, but found many more commonalities than that: both of us lost beloved wives too early, both of us musicians (although our genres of choice were quite divergent.) As many others have noted, he was a true heavyweight -- a legend in our chosen community. A dedicated father, a passionate advocate, a reasonable voice in disagreement, and a great man to have in your corner through good times or bad. We salute you, Greg my brother! Long will your memory shine! My best wishes to the family and those who had the great good fortunate to have known him personally. Greg had expressed his concern to me in personal correspondence that any passing from our midst (such as, presumably, @Kerim) not do so unnoted and unmourned. I am happy to note that such was not the case for him. Mission accomplished, my friend. Rest easy, I'll see you on that foreign shore.

"And in the end...the love you take...is equal to the love you make."
    This is truly awful news and a big loss to the forum here.
    I'm very sorry for your loss Alex,he was indeed a great member here and was one of Connery's greatest stalwarts.

A very sad loss indeed.
    Has anyone heard from @RetroKitty recently? I know she was also very good friends with Greg and spends more time on another forum more than this one. I don't know if she's been made aware of the sad news.
    I had noticed she's been away. I'll PM her.

OK, I just finished sending her a message.
    I am deeply saddened to hear of the passing of our friend Sir Henry/Greg. He brought an unmatchable zeal and passion for all things Bond. It's really something, that even though most of us have never met, we build a connection with one another. So we really feel it when we lose a member like this. It is members like Sir Henry who really kept my interest in 007 alive - from the music appreciation to all the behind the scenes information. Sir Henry leaves behind an encyclopedic wealth of thoughtful, witty and entertaining insight. He was truly a gentleman and a scholar. I second Perilagu Khan's notion that if in the slightest chance, EON has any ears to this forumn, Sir Henry is certainly worthy of a mention somewhere down the line.

At the end of the day though, family is what is most important. So to Alex, my heart goes out to you and send my condolensces to you and your family. Thank you for sharing with us the difficult news even though I know it must be hard for you to talk about. I loved what Murdock said above about if your father is in your heart he will always be with you. I think it goes without saying that we're all here for you, as we all had a great respect for your father.

Sir Henry/Greg, it was great to have known you good sir! Many blessings.
    Thank you for the kind words, @JBFan626.

Greg taught me an important lesson once. He said that no matter what happens, I should always cherish the days me and my girlfriend can spend together. His wife died several years ago. I'm going to live by his words with intensity.
  • That was lovely and well said, @Lazenby.
    I am a newcomer to the forum compared to Greg. It is always nice to hear someone mention how long they have been communicating with Greg/SirHenry over the past many years.

Alex had said the cause was hardening of the arteries; however, I do not know if Greg was ever aware of that condition. If so, he didn't say to me he had a health concern or was in ill health at all. But I am a relatively new friend, so I don't claim to know much. Just that he was my friend, we talked about many things and often, and he was a genuinely great member here. It is sad, yet comforting, to read all these nice tributes to him from everyone.

Hardening of the arteries, or athsclerosis, or heart disease, sometimes manifests itself in a heart attack. I suspect this is what felled Greg, and it is entirely possible he wasn't even aware of his life-threatening condition.

Had he been aware, I'm fairly sure he would have told someone from his intimate circle of friends here. I don't know what would have been worse: that he had known or that he hadn't...
    I wish there were a 'backspace' solution to everything on the Internet. @};-
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them I shall use my time
    And that Sir Henry did RIP.
  • Thank you to whichever mod or admin changed the name of the Originals thread in Sir Henry's honor. It is a most deserved tribute for one of his proudest creations.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Yes, actually DarthDimi did it at my request. Thank you, Dimi. :)

And please, when you all have a moment, come to that thread (SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans ...) - the rankings of all the Bond films (by the core Originals) are up now and we have just started to look at and discuss them.
    I'm glad SirHenry's name is on the title; that thread is pure gold, and I hope we enjoy it for a very, very long time ... albeit it won't be the same, or nearly as well done, but we shall carry on, as Greg would definitely have wanted.

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    That Dimi such a helpfull chap.
    Mrcoggins wrote:
    That Dimi such a helpfull chap.

Indeed. Mod of the Year I'd argue.
    Dimi is a fine example of a mod, yes. But I want to say that I am sure any mod would have done the same, though, to give all credit. I just ask Dimi things often, so I naturally went to him.
    Dimi is a fine example of a mod, yes. But I want to say that I am sure any mod would have done the same, though, to give all credit. I just ask Dimi things often, so I naturally went to him.

Oh, of course. We have a great set of mods here on MI6 Community.