Bond Villains Tees

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Pretty cool work here! I especially like the Stromberg one.
    HASEROT wrote:
    ZORIN please!! :-D
    O6G wrote:
    This is amazing! Do jaws and le chiffre
    Zorin and Jaws, yes. Not Le Chiffre, sorry...
    Why not Le Chiffre? You could put a playing card behind him with a teardrop in either corner.
  • HASEROT wrote:
    O6G wrote:

That's most unfortunate for me as I rate Le Chiffre not only one of the best Bond villains, but also one of the most distinctive. I also consider him the best of the DC era villains.

I think both Silva and Le Chiffre were larger than life. Anyway, can't wait to see Largo.
  • QBranch wrote:
    Pretty cool work here! I especially like the Stromberg one.
    HASEROT wrote:
    O6G wrote:
    Why not Le Chiffre? You could put a playing card behind him with a teardrop in either corner.

I had the same idea of a playing card backdrop and a trickle of blood down one eye but would need to see how that works without seeing the eyes... so Le Chiffre is now a maybe :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    What would you do for Trevelyan, if you do him? I'd love a GE themed one. I was thinking a statue of Janus, the cradle, or a Tiger helicopter.
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    What would you do for Trevelyan, if you do him? I'd love a GE themed one. I was thinking a statue of Janus, the cradle, or a Tiger helicopter.

I would use the Petya (or Mischa) satellite as a backdrop.
    I had the same idea of a playing card backdrop and a trickle of blood down one eye but would need to see how that works without seeing the eyes... so Le Chiffre is now a maybe :)
    Considering Le Chiffre doesn't have an iconic pose like the others, you could always use just his face, that way you'd see the eye detail. Either way, looking forward to seeing more!
  • Creasy47 wrote:

Capital idea.

• QBranch wrote:
    Considering Le Chiffre doesn't have an iconic pose like the others, you could always use just his face, that way you'd see the eye detail. Either way, looking forward to seeing more!

As for an iconic pose, I always imagine Le Chiffre hunched over the card table, staring at Bond with those hooded eyes and clammy face.

Creasy47 wrote:

Capital idea.

Indeed. I really wouldn't mind what you used, I'd buy it in a second when you did make it.
  • 5th tee: Max Zorin @ https://www.teepublic.com/show/11688-max-zorin
    [img][/img]max_zorin_pbucket_zps9ad3eaca.jpg
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 2,491
    Badass t-shirt but it sucks that these t-shirts don't ship to my country :/
  • dragonsky wrote:
    Badass t-shirt but it sucks that these t-shirts don't ship to my country :/
    There is a workaround if you are willing to pay a little more... http://www.vpost.com.sg/our-services/why-vpost
    I really like that Zorin shirt. Top marks!
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 645
    Very nice design.

I will ask, how are you able to sell artwork that resembles and are named the official movie character names, which are copyrighted without a license?

Not being a downer here, but if this was possible I would have done my own versions of this long ago. Just looking for any info on the fine line of what's legal while selling art resembling copywritten characters/movies.

As an Example: I created a few vector Bond movie posters, and reached the first page of Google image search and I got TONS of emails asking to where they could buy them or why they can't find it for sale and I would have to respond: Thank you for your interest, but as I don't have the rights to sell the posters with the Bond characteristics. (something to that effect) Because if so, I would have made a pretty penny being on the first page of google image results when SKYFALL came out. I could have posted the poster on any of those 3rd party sites to sell my design or printed them myself and sold them for more profit. (Believe me I thought about it. ) Any who, just wanted to get your take on it. And if I was wrong. And I know in different Countries it can be all different as well.

PS: I may end up buying a few of these, very creative.
  • The Art of Villainy - A new tee collection celebrating the universal notoriety of Bond villains!

Debut tee: "Dr. No" @ https://www.teepublic.com/show/11344-dr.-no
    dr_julius_no_pbucket_zpsa318fdf2.jpg

2nd tee: "Karl Stromberg" @ https://www.teepublic.com/show/11420-karl-stromberg
    karl_stromberg_pbucket_zps247703be.jpg

Really nice and would you consider Whitaker TLD (hiding amongst waxworks pose), Blofeld OHMSS, & Red Grant.
    That Zorin tee is so awesome. Wow.
  • The Zorin one is the best one yet, and that's saying something. Keep them coming!
  • 5th tee: Max Zorin @ https://www.teepublic.com/show/11688-max-zorin
    [img][/img]max_zorin_pbucket_zps9ad3eaca.jpg

Wonderful. You've really managed to capture the essence of these characters through the merest of imagery. Hence, I could guess who all of these villains are without the surrounding props. This is a real talent.

• edited January 2014 Posts: 132
    jolearon wrote:
    Very nice design.

I will ask, how are you able to sell artwork that resembles and are named the official movie character names, which are copyrighted without a license?

Not being a downer here, but if this was possible I would have done my own versions of this long ago. Just looking for any info on the fine line of what's legal while selling art resembling copywritten characters/movies.

As an Example: I created a few vector Bond movie posters, and reached the first page of Google image search and I got TONS of emails asking to where they could buy them or why they can't find it for sale and I would have to respond: Thank you for your interest, but as I don't have the rights to sell the posters with the Bond characteristics. (something to that effect) Because if so, I would have made a pretty penny being on the first page of google image results when SKYFALL came out. I could have posted the poster on any of those 3rd party sites to sell my design or printed them myself and sold them for more profit. (Believe me I thought about it. ) Any who, just wanted to get your take on it. And if I was wrong. And I know in different Countries it can be all different as well.

PS: I may end up buying a few of these, very creative.

Thanks! I do hope some of my tees will make it into your wardrobe! :)

As a layman, I can only go with what I can read up to better my understanding of the copyright law. It appears that the concept has multiple and overlapping standards and still riddled with greyness in places... From here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright , I've drawn up my own conclusion using the 4 points as extracted below. Officially unendorsed, my interpretation may be completely off the mark... which I dearly hope not!

1. "...because characters cannot be copyrighted;..." (2nd paragraph under 'Scope' section)
    2. "Copyright does not prohibit all copying or replication." (1st paragraph under 'Fair Use and Fair Dealing' section)
    3. " what amount and proportion of the whole work was taken, and" (Factor 3, 1st paragraph under 'Fair Use and Fair Dealing' section)
    4. " the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work." (Factor 4, 1st paragraph under 'Fair Use and Fair Dealing' section)

If you would to pop into any of the online tees retailers, you will notice that many designs are themed on movies, television series or video games (e.g.: "Doctor Who", "Breaking Bad", "Godzilla", "Star Wars", "Zelda"...etc.). Perhaps these tees are in no direct conflict of interest to the rights holder of those entertainment products? That the artistic or tongue-in-cheek representation of the films/tv series/games on the tees is not detrimental to the films/tv series/games themselves? Or maybe the right holders deemed the tee business or the tee creator too small a fish to fry? Whatever the reasons, we are still here, making the tees...

Myself an example, designing tees hasn't been and is not a mean for lucrative return. It is more a pursuit of passion, a labour of love, an Artist reaching out to an audience. I'm an ardent Bond fan, happened to be an Artist/Designer too, and so I thought I'll do something other Bond fans and myself would wear. In the case of "The Art of Villainy" collection, each of my design is inspired by a character of a Bond film but none has been produced with actual imagery taken from the film itself. If this is considered an infringement of some copyright law, I have only my naive interpretation of it to blame. If fertilizer hits the fan, I'm readily happy to surrender my earnings, however meagre, to a charity organization of the rights holder's choosing.

All said, I'm steadfast that my core intention of promoting and celebrating the popular culture of 007 is not an act of villainy... ;)

P.S.:- Sorry for this lengthy post, I'm just clumsy at keeping it short... We can be exchanging volumes of encyclopedia if we are to delve any deeper into the copyright minefield. In the interest of my Bond tees followers, I would propose we close the chapter on this discussion as I've already spoken my mind and fearing even longer rebuttals... :) Otherwise we will need to keep subsequent exchanges on this topic real short. Cheers! :)
  • The Art of Villainy - A new tee collection celebrating the universal notoriety of Bond villains!

Debut tee: "Dr. No" @ https://www.teepublic.com/show/11344-dr.-no
    dr_julius_no_pbucket_zpsa318fdf2.jpg

2nd tee: "Karl Stromberg" @ https://www.teepublic.com/show/11420-karl-stromberg
    karl_stromberg_pbucket_zps247703be.jpg

Really nice and would you consider Whitaker TLD (hiding amongst waxworks pose), Blofeld OHMSS, & Red Grant.

For fear of making too many empty promises, I would say at this stage that they are all a maybe. Your Whitaker idea is really good though! I might use that! :)
  • Many thanks for the recent influx of praises! You know who you are ;) I hope one of my future tees will dethrone Zorin!
    But what about Blofeld with the SPECTRE symbol, I'd love that as a t-shirt, however I like the available Francisco Scaramanga t-shirt.
  • 005 wrote:
    But what about Blofeld with the SPECTRE symbol, I'd love that as a t-shirt, however I like the available Francisco Scaramanga t-shirt.

Among the first few done up, already joined the queue for release... To date, I've completed 12 designs with 5 being published. Releasing one every 3 days or so. Many more at planning stage which will be added to the collection in due course.
  • Yes, the SPECTRE octopus must make an appearance at some point. In fact, I already own a SPECTRE tee with that emblem. It's pretty cool.
    These are so impressive! How about a Donald Pleasance Blofeld within a Persian white cat? :-?
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    I LOVE these! I will definitely buy the Dr. No, Scaramanga, and Oddjob.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited January 2014 Posts: 1,257
    QBranch wrote:

As for an iconic pose, I always imagine Le Chiffre hunched over the card table, staring at Bond with those hooded eyes and clammy face.

e9dad976-0371-479e-b47c-2d670ed8e94e_zps786f9803.png~original

I would love to see a shirt with this silhouette. Unfortunately, it isn't a full body silhouette like the others but the pose above should be pretty recognizable for Bond fans. Perhaps a contrasting colored scar placed where the eye should be and a tear drop or poker chip in the background. I think that would be awesome.
  • Commence Rockabye Baby... with the 6th tee @ https://www.teepublic.com/show/12000-pussy-galore
    [img][/img]pussy_galore_pbucket_zps0059e03b.jpg
  • The Art of Villainy lineup thus far...

[img][/img]bond_1st_6_pbucket_zps96cb9318.jpg