Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Jaws'

Had to watch it again, I can't get over how fantastic this film is. Though every time at the end - even though this was a talked-about ending - I think it would be hilarious if:
    After Brody destroys the shark and he and Hooper are laughing about the events, the blood of the rogue attracts twenty or thirty other sharks and they're just completely doomed.
    Police Story (1985)
    Jackie chan is great in this film.
    001 wrote:
    Police Story (1985)

Yes he is, and 'Police Story 2' is excellent. I'm liking the gritty look of 'Police Story 2013.' I can't wait for it.
    Jack Reacher

Having not read the novels or know anything about the character, I didn't know what to expect from this.

I really enjoyed it. Rosamund Pike was fantastic and Cruise was on his usual consistent form.

8/10
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Spider-man 3. I just suddenly got the desire to watch it last night. Always a good flick to me. I don't care what anyone says, I enjoy the heck out of it. All three of Raimi's flicks are great IMO.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote:
    'Jaws'

Had to watch it again, I can't get over how fantastic this film is. Though every time at the end - even though this was a talked-about ending - I think it would be hilarious if:
    After Brody destroys the shark and he and Hooper are laughing about the events, the blood of the rogue attracts twenty or thirty other sharks and they're just completely doomed.
    That'd be a cool ending for another shark related movie. Sharktopus 2 maybe? ;)
    @DarthDimi, I read you see "Anna Paquin was an inspired choice for the doomed Rogue as well" but in my opinion she is one of the worst, specially after the first one. In the 90's tv series she was so energetic, fun and very hot for a cartoon. In the movies she is a boring and whiny, and not as sexy as in the cartoon. She even didn't have a voice close to that great Southern accent she had in the animated series.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    The Hobbit Part 2 The Desolation of Smaug 2013

While The Hobbit Part 2 is a notch up from the snoreathon that is Part 1 (we watched it again last night in it's extended cut and wished we hadn't). Desolation of The Smaug is still too long and as it's predecessor far too reliant on C.G.I. On the plus point the barrels sequence is thrilling and Freeman continues to excel as Bilbo and Cumberbatch does great voice as the Dragon but I'll have to seriously consider whether we invest in Part 3 at the cinema or catch it via the small screen.

Where as The Rings film may have been long and in the case of Part 3 too many endings, they were thrilling and had some pace, Jackson's return to Tolkien in comparison is bloated and seriously slow, one 21/2 hour film would have sufficed instead of what will be over 8 by the end. Part 1 will be getting sold and I won't be bothering with Part 2 as a purchase. I look more forward to Martin's and Benedict's forthcoming reunion on New Years Day than anymore visits to middle earth.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 1,651
    Delta Force 2 , 3/6.......Norris vs drug kingpin. Feels more like episode of "Walker" than a worthy sequel , ditto the music. The bad guy is OK I guess.

Hitman 2/6 , Norris as a cop who "dies" only to return as a hitman.....Italian vs French-Canadian mobsters , on paper this might sound exciting but the movie drags despite only 90 mins.

Piranha 2010 , 4/6.....much more gore and nudity , I liked Lloyd as the science guy and the Dreyfuss cameo was a nice touch.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Creasy47 wrote:
    001 wrote:
    Police Story (1985)

Yes he is, and 'Police Story 2' is excellent. I'm liking the gritty look of 'Police Story 2013.' I can't wait for it.

Police story 2013 looks great. I just prY it doesn't suck like Donnie Yen's special ID did. I was looking forward to that, hoping it would have a similar to feel to flashpoint and killzone but disappointly, it wasn't.
    Police story 2013 and the Raid 2 are 2 of my most anticipated Asian action movies coming up.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    0013 wrote:
    @DarthDimi, I read you see "Anna Paquin was an inspired choice for the doomed Rogue as well" but in my opinion she is one of the worst, specially after the first one. In the 90's tv series she was so energetic, fun and very hot for a cartoon. In the movies she is a boring and whiny, and not as sexy as in the cartoon. She even didn't have a voice close to that great Southern accent she had in the animated series.

I agree, @0013, that the Rogue from the comics is somewhat different than the one presented to us in Singer's films. But I think that goes for a lot of other characters too, including Storm, Jean and even - to some extent - Wolverine. I guess I've come to accept them as separate universes. ;-)
    The Hobbit - just to rewatch the movie before the next one, and time flies when you are in Tolkiens/Jacksons world.

The Hobbit Part 2 The Desolation of Smaug - What a brilliant movie, and yes there are some serious Non-Tolkien bits in the movie like Legolas & Tauriel (female elf) but Jackson was right to add her as the female population of the cinema enjoyed her a lot, my daughters consider her EPIC (all that Youth talk). Well worth the 3D 40 frames showing. I really want it to be winter 2014 now.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I've just watched Alpha Papa on DVD. Very good, even if at times it was an odd mixture of genres. Good to see the Partridge in a film.
    The Vampire Lovers (1970)

maddypitt.jpg

At one point the Hammer Studios decided to shake off their carefulness towards the female body. Bare breasts would henceforth be commonplace in their films. The Vampire Lovers certainly doesn't disappoint in that department.

Carmilla Karnstein, lead character in Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu's novel Carmilla which was published two and a half decades before Stoker's Dracula, wanders through the ages, spawning vampire followers everywhere she goes. In this film, she poisons rich girls by first befriending them, gaining their trust and then seducing them. Carmilla, played by Ingrid Pitt, gets close to Emma (Madeline Smith) and gives her the kiss of blood. A small group of people decides to fight back, one of them being the uncle of Carmilla's first victim, played by Peter Cushing.

Roy Ward Baker is no Terence Fisher but his directing is good enough. He does, of course, have the privilege of working with the likes of the ever imposing Cushing, the ever sweet Smith and the deceptively seductive Pitt. Though the plot of the film is quite simple, The Vampire Lovers delivers what the title promises. Ingrid Pitt and Madeline Smith are seen in a few quite revealing moments of lesbian vampire love.

Because the kiss of blood is exchanged between women and because the erotic flavours are ever present, one cannot but assume deliberate moves of the film to please a certain demographic with simple sensation rather than great storytelling. That said, it is outstanding how the film allows playful moments to segue into darker threats.

Though The Vampire Lovers is merely one among many typical Hammer films, it is by no means a boring or disappointing film. Hammer aims to eroticize the concept of vampirism in a vastly more explicit way that it had so far done with, say, the Dracula films, and it succeeds. Better written characters and a more intelligent plot might have made this film epic in its kind. But even now, when it's merely a good film without specific high points, it manages to entertain, and to titillate.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    But even now, when it's merely a good film without specific high points, it manages to entertain, and to titillate.
    I saw this on TV as an early teen, and even cut for small screen, boy did it activate all sensors! Later I rented it & saw it uncut. Surprisingly good. Wouldn't mind owning it on DVD now...
    doubleoego wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    001 wrote:
    Police Story (1985)

Police story 2013 looks great. I just prY it doesn't suck like Donnie Yen's special ID did. I was looking forward to that, hoping it would have a similar to feel to flashpoint and killzone but disappointly, it wasn't.
    Police story 2013 and the Raid 2 are 2 of my most anticipated Asian action movies coming up.

The only Jackie film that comes to mind that I really didn't like is 'New Police Story.' I just couldn't stand it. Started out semi-interesting but it just grew dull throughout.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    The only Jackie film that comes to mind that I really didn't like is 'New Police Story.' I just couldn't stand it. Started out semi-interesting but it just grew dull throughout.
    Agreed. I really did not like that one. Awaiting Chinese Zodiac with the appropriate drool, though.
    ;)
    chrisisall wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Agreed. I really did not like that one. Awaiting Chinese Zodiac with the appropriate drool, though.
    ;)

I saw a few bits and pieces of it last year and I really enjoyed it! I, err, acquired myself an online copy and it was quite good from what I remember. Now I'm eagerly awaiting 'Police Story 2013.' Like I said, seems to have a great mixture of gritty drama and intense stunts.
    chrisisall wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    But even now, when it's merely a good film without specific high points, it manages to entertain, and to titillate.
    I saw this on TV as an early teen, and even cut for small screen, boy did it activate all sensors! Later I rented it & saw it uncut. Surprisingly good. Wouldn't mind owning it on DVD now...

In that case, @chrisisall, I recommend you also watch the other two movies in this Karnstein trilogy, Lust For A Vampire and The Twins Of Evil. In both cases we have some pleasant sensor activating going on. ;-)
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Iron Man 3 - Great fun - a big improvement after the disappointing number 2

8/10

...and because its the Christmas season:

Die Hard - Alan Rickman is the man.

9/10

Die Hard 2 - It's cheesy in places and some of the acting is a bit dodgy but its nonetheless an enjoyable flick. The crash of Windsor 114 is still a pretty brutal sequence.

7/10

I just wish Bruce Willis hadn't gone on to take a creative dump on his own character two decades later.
  • Good Will Hunting - Watched yesterday. Great film, one of my "best of the best".
    9/10.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    In that case, @chrisisall, I recommend you also watch the other two movies in this Karnstein trilogy, Lust For A Vampire and The Twins Of Evil. In both cases we have some pleasant sensor activating going on. ;-)

Yeah, saw Lust as well. Good times. Maybe too good. ;)
    Never saw Twins though... :-??
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Librarian wrote:
    Good Will Hunting - Watched yesterday. Great film, one of my "best of the best".
    9/10.

One of my favorites as well. A modern cinematic masterpiece from the acting to the script and its wonderfully touching messages.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Cliffhanger

Still holds up very well after 20 years thanks to some superb aerial photography and efficient direction. You genuinely believe (at least for the most part) the characters are out in the wilderness and the conditions look every bit as challenging as they apparently were. John Lithgow is fun as bad guy Qualen and the suspense remains throughout.

In terms of the other performances Janine Turner is the weak link as Jesse, however she is supported by the likeable Stallone and the excellent Michael Rooker as Hal.

Of the films I've seen of his, this is definitely Renny Harlin's best.

8/10

Also I've just caught the end of Virtuosity on Sky Movies. What the hell!! This Russell Crowe bloke went on to win an Oscar?? :))
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    KICK_ASS yet again. I love this film. Favourites are Nicolas Cage and Chloe Grace Moretz. The second film was also great. Wonder if there will be a third? Kind of hope so...
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2013 Posts: 13,350
    There are three graphic novels, so a third and final film may also happen in a few years @Thunderfinger.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 7,653
    Return of the King (ext. ed.) - I just love this movie it is so well put together and pulls all my heartstrings at the end. Watching Jacksons work always makes me return to the books which I love as well. I think Tolkien would be well chuffed if he saw what Jackson had done with his work.
    Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows

Surprisingly really good. Much better than I thought it would be. Jared Harris was superb as Moriarty.

8.5/10
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Cliffhanger

Still holds up very well after 20 years thanks to some superb aerial photography and efficient direction.
    You drench a man with warm water & let him walk around in that environment for ten minutes and see what happens. Swimming undewater in that scene was ridiculous. Yeah, cool way to evade capture & death- except that it should have KILLED him.
    :))
    I'd believe jumping a shark or nuking a fridge WAY more easily.
  • Bradford4Bradford4 Banned
    edited December 2013 Posts: 152
    I was going to watch Kick Ass. Because I wanted to see Kick Ass 2, I figured since my kids liked The Avengers why not try another superhero movie. BIG mistake. This is a brutal movie and we barely made it ten minutes. Not for kids. It was a little hard to watch meself, is this where we are as a society that we watch kids murdering each other for entertainment? Sick.