Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Thank God I wasn't the only one who read that.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Just watched Star Trek Into Darkness for the first time today. I missed my chance to see it while it was in theaters so I went out on a limb and bought it on Blu-ray, I don't regret doing it! It wasn't as good as Star Trek 09' but it was still great.
    My updated list...

Star Trek 09'
    The Voyage Home
    Into Darkness
    The Final Frontier
    The Wrath of Khan
    The Undiscovered Country
    The Search For Spock
    Star Trek The Motion Picture
    Generations
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 1,310
    I have finally finished watching the Star Trek films for the first time. Phew.

1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982) - 8.5/10
    The best Trek film. It's exciting, well paced, and has one hell of a bad guy. Spock's death (and implied future) is such a powerful ending. Horner's score is magnificent.

2. Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) - 8/10
    Gets A TON of hate, but I honestly thought it was great fun. Plot holes, yes, but great fun, and even a few touching scenes. Also a great villain with Benedict - though not as good as Montalban of course!

3. Star Trek (2009) - 7.5/10
    A good origin story. Once again, some plot holes and I really don't care for Nero at all, but some great character moments.

4. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991) - 7.5/10
    A good way to end the TOS era of Star Trek. Plummer is a great bad guy, and the story is satisfyingly twisty/turny. Some unnecessary silliness, but still a good conclusion.

5. Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Director's Edition (1979) - 7.5/10
    A massively underrated film. It is too long, yes, but a very interesting and cerebral plot. Also, I just love the mood and tone of the film. Goldsmith's score is one of the best I've ever heard.

6. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) - 7/10
    Actually a really funny and witty script. I just wish the plot was a little more fleshed out. It surely is wacky, but its such a fun time.

7. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1982) - 6/10
    DeForrest Kelley steals the show. Spock's absence is sorely missed, though, and I dislike Robin Curtis as Saavik. Some witty moments in the script, but a slightly disappointing follow up to Khan.

8. Star Trek: First Contact (1996) - 6/10
    The best of the Next Generation films, but still feels like a TV show, and pales in comparison (story-wise) to The Best of Both Worlds two parter.

9. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989) - 5/10
    The problems with this film are obvious. However, the scene between Sybok and McCoy is truly stand-out, and is the film's only really good scene.

10. Star Trek: Nemesis (2002) - 5/10
    Tom Hardy tries, but the script fails. It seems like the Next Generation cast has just run out of gas - and I never really thought any of their movies were that good in the first place.

11. Star Trek: Insurrection (1998) - 5/10
    I really don't know what to say about this film. It exists, I suppose. There is absolutely NOTHING in the film that is memorable in anyway.

12. Star Trek: Generations (1994) - 4/10
    In my mind, the only awful Trek film. The Next Generation cast (at least shown here) are not half as interesting as the TOS cast. Worse yet, the film pisses on Captain Kirk by giving him one of the worst death scenes in the history of film. Truly terrible.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    SJK91 wrote:
    Tom Hardy tries, but the script fails. It seems like the Next Generation cast has just run out of gas - and I never really thought any of their movies were that good in the first place.

I really don't know what to say about this film. It exists, I suppose. There is absolutely NOTHING in the film that is memorable in anyway.

In my mind, the only awful Trek film. The Next Generation cast (at least shown here) are not half as interesting as the TOS cast. Worse yet, the film pisses on Captain Kirk by giving him one of the worst death scenes in the history of film. Truly terrible.

How the f*ck do Nemesis and Insurrection rate above Generations?!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Because Generations sucks a little bit more, obviously.
    :))
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    SJK91 wrote:

Excellent ranking decisions. though I'd rate Generations a 0 just for killing off James T. Kirk.
    pachazo wrote:

Wow. He needs to spend his big paycheck on something other than hi speed internet, that's for sure.

And he gets to write movies in part because of being in the right place at the right time, too. No one in the industry is a gift from God. He's a good writer, that's all.

• Wow. Whilst I think the Trekkies have had a recent hissy fit of their own (no way are the latest two films the worst of the series) but the way this writer has behaved is pretty outrageous. What does he care? Let the fans have their say and be done with it. He's really thrown his toys out of the pram I think!
    It kinda reminds me of that episode of CSI where this fan of this old Star Trek like show, wrote a gritty violent reboot of it and everyone hated it.
    Murdock wrote:
    SJK91 wrote:

Excellent ranking decisions. though I'd rate Generations a 0 just for killing off James T. Kirk.

But, the opening scene on the Enterprise B is better than all of Insurrection.
    @Agent007391 true, but that's pretty much ruined after the scene ends and the badness just keeps coming.
    The way I see it is that Generations is an offensively bad film and Insurrection is an entirely nondescript one. Neither are good movies, but I was disgusted by the end of Generations - I was just bored with Insurrection.
    I liked Insurrection A LOT as a big giant TV episode.
    chrisisall wrote:
    I liked Insurrection A LOT as a big giant TV episode.
    Make it so!
    Patstew.jpg
    Murdock wrote:
    Make it so!
    Thanks Murdock, I can count on you for reasonable Trek comments!
    I am to please chrisisall. ;)

Speaking of Trek. I randomly found this bizarre Cartoon mashup of Star Trek TAS and Rambo TAS...Why It exists..? Who knows. =))
    http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/3898/rambo-v-the-final-frontier-from-thecommodore
    Unsurprisingly, J.J. Abrams isn't coming back for Trek 3.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/11/jj-abrams-on-not-directing-star-trek-3
    Murdock wrote:
    Speaking of Trek. I randomly found this bizarre Cartoon mashup of Star Trek TAS and Rambo TAS...Why It exists..? Who knows. =))
    Strange.... too strange for words. Good find, but... strange.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Strange.... too strange for words. Good find, but... strange.
    I wanna know where those Shatner quotes came from. :))
  • I love the original Trek films, though the new movies are admittedly a different beast. I can seperate the two, Into darkness certainly does not have the depth of the Shatner films though they are entertaining. Truth is IMO nothing will ever touch Wrath of Khan, slightly biased as it is one of my favourite movies. In the next new trek would like to see something that is not trying to emulate Khan, and give us something thought provoking and take risks. One can hope!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I've been meaning to get this series on DVD (the 3 Seasons) if my money allows it. I've recently bought a load of Star Trek fanzine books with articles written by fans for fans as that appeals to me. My best friend was a big Trekker at a time. I enjoy the ST:TOS commentary on the events of the Cold War etc.
    @chrisisall I have seen it and I enjoyed it very much.
  • DeJunkanoooDeJunkanooo Banned
    Some of the fan productions are getting very sophisticated. haven't been an new episode in awhile but try Star Trek Phase 2. Don't know if there is turmoil behind the scenes or what but production is at a standstilll.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I've been meaning to get this series on DVD (the 3 Seasons) if my money allows it. I've recently bought a load of Star Trek fanzine books with articles written by fans for fans as that appeals to me. My best friend was a big Trekker at a time. I enjoy the ST:TOS commentary on the events of the Cold War etc.
    You should definitely get it. Don't let the cheap production values fool you. Many of the episodes still hold up well today. There are many Cold War references that would amuse you.
  • I was a big (and still am) fan of the original series from 1966 - 69 and subsequent movie releases from 1979 - 91 with the same names, but lost significant interest when The Next Generation came along, and Deep Space Nine after it. I haven't seen any of the most recent titles such as Into Darkness, as I simply couldn't envisage Star Trek without Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley etc. The next in line with Patrick Stewart did well, but it simply wasn't the same as before
    I was a big (and still am) fan of the original series from 1966 - 69 and subsequent movie releases from 1979 - 91 with the same names, but lost significant interest when The Next Generation came along, and Deep Space Nine after it. I haven't seen any of the most recent titles such as Into Darkness, as I simply couldn't envisage Star Trek without Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley etc. The next in line with Patrick Stewart did well, but it simply wasn't the same as before

I like the rebooted series as it's not really the same so I can accept it as what it is, but that's why I can't get into fan films of the 60's era Trek. It's just a group of people trying too hard to be those classic characters. I respect the efforts and I am impressed with the production value's but for me. TOS is Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley, ect.
    On Sunday (before seeing the supremely awesome Thor: The Dark World), I finally saw Star Trek Into Darkness. Spoiler-tagged for anybody who hasn't seen the film yet.
    When I saw Star Trek '09, it shot up to the top of my list of favorite Trek films and episodes. It had everything, from old school Trek action, to great special effects, to a great story, all of which finally usurped my previous favorite, Star Trek: First Contact. When I read about Into Darkness, it seemed like the perfect idea: take what Trek '09 did, then adapt both one of the classic episodes ("Space Seed") and one of the classic films (Wrath of Khan) into the new Trek universe. What I could never have understood at that time, was that I was really damn right.

Cumberbatch is a superb villain. He's not really Khan level yet, Montalban will never be topped as that character, but as a sort of villain sort of ally, he's awesome. Peter Weller is a great villain as well, if for no other reason than his voice. The mystery of the whole film is just great, as Admiral Marcus sends Kirk on a mission he's supposed to fail.

A couple of things got on my nerves. The role reversal of Kirk dying and Spock shouting "Khaaaaan!" are a little annoying, because Kirk sacrificing himself just felt forced and Zachary Quinto just doesn't have the voice that William Shatner did. Plus, Spock Prime's appearance just seemed stupid, not to mention the fact that nobody on the bridge seemed surprised. I'd think McCoy would have said something.

Speaking of McCoy, he's still my favorite of the reboot characters. His whole purpose in this film was just to spout great euphemisms. Plus, I loved his pregnant Gorn line. I hope he gets a lot more screen time in the next film, because he deserves it.

All in all, it has happened again. Once again, my favorite Trek film has been usurped. Into Darkness now rests at the top spot where Trek '09 used to be. Hopefully, this trend continues, and Trek 3 will jump up to the top and knock Into Darkness down, because the reboot series is doing everything right so far.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 1,052
    Whilst I am more than happy to declare GF to be overrated I can't really say the same for Wrath of Khan, with or without expectations it is a cracking film. The Final Frontier is still a decent effort, some shoddy effects let it down but other than that it's a good film.

The JJ Abrams reboot is a great film but it's so derivative of the original show/films that I can't class it better that any of the original films (well ok not counting The Motion Picture).