The ROGER MOORE Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• The one thing I can safely say about how long Craig remains is that, like Sir Roger, he'll know "when to say when" and has said as much. I'm happy enough that he's signed for the next two keeping him around until either 2017 or 2018 at the moment, and just want to enjoy the ride until then.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I'm merely pointing out that an older action hero can still work if given the right settings. I still don't think that his age was terribly visible in AVTAK, but what really showed it off, as you said, is the younger women he was placed with. That was a big reason why his age was shown so horribly; he wasn't young at that point, but with that pairing, it heightened his age alertness. I don't see a problem with having a slightly older Bond, as long as he isn't some geriatric fighting the villains with a cane. If he can still hold his own and he doesn't look past a retirement stage, then there shouldn't be an issue.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    the main difference with Taken is that Liam Neeson does his own stunts, and is credible as an action hero. no disrespect to Sir Rog, but you can cleary see the stuntmen in AVTAK, even without freeze-framing your DVD. I believe Craig at Moore's age will be more credible as Bond and as an action hero. You just need to have Bond girls' closer to his age. I'm sure there are many late 40's actresses that are quite goodlooking. look at famke janssen, she's gorgeous for her age.
    @DaltonCraig007, I'm hoping that's a difference between the 80's Bond and today's Bond: they won't go that route. It seemed like as Moore got older, the Bond girls got younger, in a way, and it makes it stand out.

Granted, I haven't seen AVTAK in some time, so my previous statement could be completely redacted if I was to see it again and be blown away by how he looks. I recall the stuntmen being very obvious. I think I paused the movie a long while back and pointed out a stuntman that looked absolutely nothing like Moore.
    the main difference with Taken is that Liam Neeson does his own stunts, and is credible as an action hero. no disrespect to Sir Rog, but you can cleary see the stuntmen in AVTAK, even without freeze-framing your DVD. I believe Craig at Moore's age will be more credible as Bond and as an action hero. You just need to have Bond girls' closer to his age. I'm sure there are many late 40's actresses that are quite goodlooking. look at famke janssen, she's gorgeous for her age.

U dont even have to have women in their late 40s. Say if Craig is 55 when is last bond film happens. U can have a woman in her late 30s and that would even be ok. Maud Adams was 38 when she did Octopussy and looked fine making out with Roger
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    yes, I don't believe we'll have another 'let me buy you an ice cream' scene with 55 years old Craig Bond :P
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2013 Posts: 13,350
    I think all this discussion proves you can make an older actor work as Bond if surrounded with the right elements. Others films don't follow the same route and that's why so many of them fail or don't work. Unlike those films, Bond does renew at some stage with another actor, it always happens and until that time, there is no reason why the Bond films shouldn't work with any age lead actor, to a certain degree.

Back to Roger, he was great!
    I think one of my favorite things about Moore's Bond was how kind and sweet he was in his scenes, but when it came down to the action bits, he was able to cut that off real quick and get work done. He has some of the best finales in the series.
    While Roger hardly looked young in FYEO, OP or AVTAK, what really makes his aging noticeable is all the young women the films paired him with. That not only made you view Bond as some old codger hot for young tail (yuck...) but also makes his age stick out even worst against those youthful Bond girls. If the Moore era gave 007 more Bond girls nearer to his age during his last films like Octopussy was (a Bond woman, rather), then I feel the films wouldn't be looked at so harshly. When you end a film with Bond in the shower with a super young Tanya Roberts and Roger is nearing 60, it's no wonder why we cringe.

Exactly - I think this is the main issue, and funny considering they used Bibi Dahl to poke fun at this aspect, but completely disregard this problem with Stacey.

Maud Adams in OP is a good example, and I also think older Connery in DAF and Jill St. John is another good example of the romantic chemistry working due to closeness in age.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    JBFan626 wrote:
    While Roger hardly looked young in FYEO, OP or AVTAK, what really makes his aging noticeable is all the young women the films paired him with. That not only made you view Bond as some old codger hot for young tail (yuck...) but also makes his age stick out even worst against those youthful Bond girls. If the Moore era gave 007 more Bond girls nearer to his age during his last films like Octopussy was (a Bond woman, rather), then I feel the films wouldn't be looked at so harshly. When you end a film with Bond in the shower with a super young Tanya Roberts and Roger is nearing 60, it's no wonder why we cringe.

Exactly - I think this is the main issue, and funny considering they used Bibi Dahl to poke fun at this aspect, but completely disregard this problem with Stacey.

Maud Adams in OP is a good example, and I also think older Connery in DAF and Jill St. John is another good example of the romantic chemistry working due to closeness in age.

I loved seeing Roger and Maude together again, and as I said, if we got more Bond/Bond girl pairings where 007 and his woman were closer in age, the whole aging factor wouldn't be that glaring of an issue. I love seeing older guys in gritty action type films, it's just that you have to be careful how you present that idea. You can't just pair the guy with a 20 something gal and get away with it without a few eye-rolls and slaps to the wrist. Roger and Maude were great together in OP, and that dynamic totally worked with their chemistry and closeness in age. I wish we saw more of that as Roger's time as Bond clocked out.

Hopefully EON apply this kind of idea to the Craig era, as I am STILL carrying on hope that Kate Winslet will one day be a Bond girl... I don't know it Sam and her are on good terms or not, but it would be lovely to see her beside Dan in a Bond adventure, as she looks better than ever and overflows with talent.
    I think with Moore you just need to stop and respect the era the films were made in, the 70s wasn't quite the paranoid, complicated world we know today, so culture and film was obviously different, I respect that times have changed and so have views, but my dad always tells me that no one ever took anything very seriously in the 70's, you could still say that horrible racist "N" word on TV (Just watch Parkinson's interviews with Ali in 71 and 74) and censorship had started to end in TV, so people were more light hearted about things like sex and racism etc.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 1,548
    Such a pity that Sir Roger wasn, given more opportunities to act ie the Scaramanga Dinner Table exchange and the Major Smythe revelation in Octopussy. Instead we had put up with too much clowning around in,er, clown suits and safari suits. When given the chance he was capable of playing a more Flemingesque Bond. Maybe not as classy as Dan Craig and the rest but still, credit where credit's due.
    There is quite a bit of lazy stuntman use throughout the series, I wonder if this was just due to shooting issues, the fight in YOLT with Bond and the goon with the face mask and black and white shoes is all Bob Simmons bar a few close ups.

AVTAK could have been handled better, EON kind of let Rog down with his finale appearance but hey I still enjoy it a lot!
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    With the very large number of action heroes well over 60 today it does make me begin to wonder, why the massive problem with Moore's age? It was hardly the biggest issue of the film. If you stepped down from action films today at 57, that would be looked at as rather early I think and no doubt commended as a brave thing to do when you could easily keep on going.

If you watch something like 'Taken' or 'Harry Brown,' and then go back to AVTAK, you'll realize his age really isn't an issue. Even when I was younger, I never had a problem with his age in his final outing.

But Taken and Harry Brown aren't Bond. In the Bond films we had come to expect 007 to be a certain age, and when Roger got older and older and EON kept getting him to return, it showed badly. While Roger hardly looked young in FYEO, OP or AVTAK, what really makes his aging noticeable is all the young women the films paired him with. That not only made you view Bond as some old codger hot for young tail (yuck...) but also makes his age stick out even worst against those youthful Bond girls. If the Moore era gave 007 more Bond girls nearer to his age during his last films like Octopussy was (a Bond woman, rather), then I feel the films wouldn't be looked at so harshly. When you end a film with Bond in the shower with a super young Tanya Roberts and Roger is nearing 60, it's no wonder why we cringe.

What are you talking about? Maud Adams was almost 40 when they did OP. That doesn't count? As far as I know, that's the oldest Bond girl ever! Yes, Tonya Roberts was really young but why is that cringe worthy? I say, go Rog! Get that hottie!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The_Reaper wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    With the very large number of action heroes well over 60 today it does make me begin to wonder, why the massive problem with Moore's age? It was hardly the biggest issue of the film. If you stepped down from action films today at 57, that would be looked at as rather early I think and no doubt commended as a brave thing to do when you could easily keep on going.

If you watch something like 'Taken' or 'Harry Brown,' and then go back to AVTAK, you'll realize his age really isn't an issue. Even when I was younger, I never had a problem with his age in his final outing.

But Taken and Harry Brown aren't Bond. In the Bond films we had come to expect 007 to be a certain age, and when Roger got older and older and EON kept getting him to return, it showed badly. While Roger hardly looked young in FYEO, OP or AVTAK, what really makes his aging noticeable is all the young women the films paired him with. That not only made you view Bond as some old codger hot for young tail (yuck...) but also makes his age stick out even worst against those youthful Bond girls. If the Moore era gave 007 more Bond girls nearer to his age during his last films like Octopussy was (a Bond woman, rather), then I feel the films wouldn't be looked at so harshly. When you end a film with Bond in the shower with a super young Tanya Roberts and Roger is nearing 60, it's no wonder why we cringe.

What are you talking about? Maud Adams was almost 40 when they did OP. That doesn't count? As far as I know, that's the oldest Bond girl ever! Yes, Tonya Roberts was really young but why is that cringe worthy? I say, go Rog! Get that hottie!

Did you read my post? I stated that in OP, Bond and Octopussy worked because she was closer to 007's age. I wish they had taken that approach more often as Roger's time as Bond wound down. Problems arise when you put an aging Roger alongside someone like Tanya Roberts, where his growing seniority becomes much more apparent and the relationship between him and his female lead comes off as less believable and kind of unsettling.
    The_Reaper wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Did you read my post? I stated that in OP, Bond and Octopussy worked because she was closer to 007's age. I wish they had taken that approach more often as Roger's time as Bond wound down. Problems arise when you put an aging Roger alongside someone like Tanya Roberts, where his growing seniority becomes much more apparent and the relationship between him and his female lead comes off as less believable and kind of unsettling.

Yes, I read it. What I bolded is what you said. You said "If the Moore era gave..." and hence that implies he didn't have older girls during his run and I made the argument, as others have done on this page, that Maud Adams counts in that regards. Maybe that's not what you meant to say but on the passage I quoted and the part I bolded, you are being contradictory.
    The_Reaper wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Yes, I read it. What I bolded is what you said. You said "If the Moore era gave..." and hence that implies he didn't have older girls during his run and I made the argument, as others have done on this page, that Maud Adams counts in that regards. Maybe that's not what you meant to say but on the passage I quoted and the part I bolded, you are being contradictory b/c they did in fact do what you wished they had.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 6,396
    @The_Reaper I don't know what point you're trying to make except you've confirmed exactly what @0Brady already said. I understood his post perfectly.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2013 Posts: 13,350
    "If the Moore era gave 007 more Bond girls nearer to his age during his last films like Octopussy".

That makes sense to me, it means what it says. Brady wanted more Bond girls nearer to Bond's own age, like Octopussy.
    Went to see Rog again yesterday afternoon in Reading. Feel a little embasrrassed because I had to leave before the end as my parking ticket was about to run out.

Forgive me Sir Rog!
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Went to see Rog again yesterday afternoon in Reading. Feel a little embasrrassed because I had to leave before the end as my parking ticket was about to run out.

Forgive me Sir Rog!

You lucky basterd, and you unlucky basterd.

Next time come on a bicycle. ;)

In response to the posts about Rog's Bond girls needing to be closer to his age, I think that you can say that Mary Goodnight, as well as Octopussy, were closer to his age. It should be noted that he is 15 years older than his wife. Rog is an animal, in the kindest meaning of the word.
    BAIN123 wrote:

Forgive me Sir Rog!

You should have let your car become towed. It would have been worth it!
    IMO I cant see any other Bond playing Bond in Octopussy then Roger Moore. That movie was made for Roger Moores Bond IMO. Theres no way I can see Sean, George, Tim, Pierce, or Craig in Octopussy
    Went to see Sir Roger Moore on sunday! This being the second time as i saw him last year too! The man is simply class! ^:)^
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Went to see Sir Roger Moore on sunday! This being the second time as i saw him last year too! The man is simply class! ^:)^

Hows he doing? Hows his health if you mind me asking? Does he look good for his age?
    fjdinardo wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Hows he doing? Hows his health if you mind me asking? Does he look good for his age?

He was in fine form as always. A little unsteady when on his feet but the mind and humour is still there in abundance! :-bd
  • fjdinardo wrote:
    IMO I cant see any other Bond playing Bond in Octopussy then Roger Moore. That movie was made for Roger Moores Bond IMO. Theres no way I can see Sean, George, Tim, Pierce, or Craig in Octopussy

I feel the same with Lazenby in OMHSS, Brosnan in Goldeneye, Dalton in both TLD and LTK, and Moore again in Moonraker. Almost left out Connery in his two greatest apprearances - Dr No and From Russia With Love. With those releases, there can be no-one else
    fjdinardo wrote:

I feel the same with Lazenby in OMHSS, Brosnan in Goldeneye, Dalton in both TLD and LTK, and Moore again in Moonraker. Almost left out Connery in his two greatest apprearances - Dr No and From Russia With Love. With those releases, there can be no-one else

I totally agree
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Agree about Moore in Moonraker. Not so sure about the others mentioned.