Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• edited October 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I recently bought and finished the final DLC pack for Dishonoured and although it's as fun as ever I am disappointed with the ending. Let me explain

At one point in Dishonoured you confront Michael Madsen's character, the assassin who killed the queen at the start. He's actually very guilty about it and he seems very world weary, he's willing to accept his fate. You can either kill him or spare him. You later play as him in these two DLC packs, following him from when he killed the queen to your final confrontation with him in the main game.

Now I murdered my way through Dishonoured. The only time I let people live normally was if I'd run out of everything except tranquilliser darts. However, I did let two targets live: One was a posh rich woman who I gave to a creepy stalker because I was playing as an evil dickhead and that seemed a fate worse than death. The other was the assassin who killed the queen because he was Michael Madsen.

So it surprised me when Corvo turned up and killed me at the end of the DLC. I started the first DLC pack as a pacifist because Madsen wanted redemption but that went out the window 5 minutes in because it's more fun to kill people (I do play it stealthily though). But it turns out that the DLC works the same way as the main game: kill everyone=bad ending, pacifism=good ending.

It would've been so much better if it used your Dishonoured save. Imagine playing it as a pacifist trying to achieve redemption only to be killed at the end because you were a dick when you were playing as Corvo. Or if you were like me and you spared Daud, then you play him as a character worse than any of the people you did kill. That would've been brilliant because now you know Madsen's side of the story but there's nothing you can do about it, your fate is sealed because of what you did in the main game.

The game itself is still fantastic though and I'd love a sequel.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @thelivingroyale, so there is no way to alter the DLC ending at all? That's a bummer. I hate when I don't have a choice to a video game's ending when it comes to things like that.
    Been playing a lot of doom 2 lately
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    @thelivingroyale, so there is no way to alter the DLC ending at all? That's a bummer. I hate when I don't have a choice to a video game's ending when it comes to things like that.

You can get different endings, it's just like the main game really. Low chaos= Daud lives, high chaos= he dies, but I think this was a mistake. Like I said, they should've just used peoples original saves. That would've actually had an effect on the player.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Risico007 wrote:
    Been playing a lot of doom 2 lately

Top man.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Currently playing Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater for the Millionth time. :)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Murdock wrote:
    Currently playing Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater for the Millionth time. :)

Top man. If you reach a million, you'll be exactly a million behind me.
    One can never play enough Snake Eater. :D
    Yes, yes one can.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited October 2013 Posts: 23,561
    Arkham City

Great game, though I enjoy Asylum slightly better. The point is: City has far more places to go, far more mobility to offer and far more characters from the Batman universe playing an active part in it. It's a lot fuller on content and requires a helluva lot more time before all Riddler's Trophies and whatnot have been found. But, Asylum, in its compactness, feels better written to me and it doesn't offer all that many parallel missions to divert my attention from the main storyline. I'm nitpicky, I know. ;-) In truth: they're both excellent games and I can't wait to get into Origins...
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Arkham City

Great game, though I enjoy Asylum slightly better. The point is: City has far more places to go, far more mobility to offer and far more characters from the Batman universe playing an active part in it. It's a lot fuller on content and requires a helluva lot more time before all Riddler's Trophies and whatnot have been found. But, Asylum, in its compactness, feels better written to me and it doesn't offer all that many parallel missions to divert my attention from the main storyline. I'm nitpicky, I know. ;-) In truth: they're both excellent games and I can't wait to get into Origins...

I have played Arkham City and I love everything about it except for the Joker. They made him out to be a comedy character instead of a dark deranged psychopath as he is portrayed in The Dark Knight. Everyone I know loves Heath Leger's dark portrayal of the character and since Arkham City came out around this time they should have known this is what fans want.

Face wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Arkham City

I have played Arkham City and I love everything about it except for the Joker. They made him out to be a comedy character instead of a dark deranged psychopath as he is portrayed in The Dark Knight. Everyone I know loves Heath Leger's dark portrayal of the character and since Arkham City came out around this time they should have known this is what fans want.

I couldn't disagree more, @Face. The Joker we got in TDK is but one incarnation amongst many. They brought in Hamil to voice the Joker in these games and since the early 90s his Joker really has been the clown prince of Gotham. The maniacal clown has, in fact, for the longest time been the Joker we got in comics as well. Ledger was great but it's written nowhere that his Joker should from now on be the exclusive template to model further Jokers on. Caesar Romero, Jack Nicholson, Mark Hamil... they've all given us a Joker that combines dark comedy with death and terror. The Arkham games stay closer to the comics than to Nolan's universe and so Ledger's Joker would actually have felt a bit out of place in them.
    I love Nicholson's Joker, I love Hamil's Joker, I love Ledger's Joker. All three actors portrayed the character perfectly for what they were supposed to be. Nicholson's fit right at home with the weirdo characters that Tim Burton is known for, Hamil's fit the halfway mark between realism and comic book that Bruce Timm's cartoons had, and Ledger's fit the gritty darkness that the Nolan films inhabit. None of them should ever venture outside of their specific portrayals, however. I've enjoyed Hamil in the first two Arkham games (I'm rather depressed that he's decided to retire from the character).
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I love Nicholson's Joker, I love Hamil's Joker, I love Ledger's Joker. All three actors portrayed the character perfectly for what they were supposed to be. Nicholson's fit right at home with the weirdo characters that Tim Burton is known for, Hamil's fit the halfway mark between realism and comic book that Bruce Timm's cartoons had, and Ledger's fit the gritty darkness that the Nolan films inhabit. None of them should ever venture outside of their specific portrayals, however. I've enjoyed Hamil in the first two Arkham games (I'm rather depressed that he's decided to retire from the character).

To be fair, Mark has said he is retiring from the Joker several times before. I would hardly paint him as done just yet.
    I hope that paychecks can lure him back in. ;-) Trouble is, with Star Wars coming up, and the 'old' cast reportedly returning to it (though I fail to see how), perhaps Mark has other things to do now. ;-)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    If Hamill never returns I don't think anyone would care all that much as, Troy Baker's interpretation if the Joker in origins is practically identical to Hamill's except slightly more darker.

Watch and listen to Baker's Joker monologue:

I want Michael Emerson to play the joker again. His performance in the Dark Knight Returns was really good. His quirky voice to his sadistic crazy laugh. All great.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 19
    What happened to Mark Hamill's face between the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi? He looks all beaten up, like he has been hit by a mac truck? Has anyone else noticed this????
    He was in a car accident and had to get facial reconstructive surgery IIRC.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Currently playing the newest Tomb Raider on PS3. I found a used copy for $20 at Best Buy and I had a $15 reward certificate. So for a total of $5 out of pocket, why not pick it up. Its pretty fun. I needed a break from GTA V anyway.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    doubleoego wrote:
    If Hamill never returns I don't think anyone would care all that much as, Troy Baker's interpretation if the Joker in origins is practically identical to Hamill's except slightly more darker.

Watch and listen to Baker's Joker monologue:

I care very, very much, considering I grew up on the Batman cartoons and the character himself is like a second father to me. Hamill IS Joker, and nobody else can ever dethrone him when it comes to that voice. Baker is good (I'll have to see how he is in Origins), but I think this guy on YouTube is just as great as him (if not better):

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I get what you're saying and for me, Hamill is the definitive joker but with Baker and the vids you posted of the guy doing joker's voice, sounding practically identical to Hamill, it's the reason why I surmised people wouldn't care that much because unless they were made aware it's not Hamill, I for one at least wouldn't have even noticed that it wasn't Hamill doing the voice. Hamill is a legend and I'm sure he hasn't completely retired from doing the voice but to be honest I didn't miss him at all because my eats are still hearing the same sounding voice, with just as much charisma.
    doubleoego wrote:
    I get what you're saying and for me, Hamill is the definitive joker but with Baker and the vids you posted of the guy doing joker's voice, sounding practically identical to Hamill, it's the reason why I surmised people wouldn't care that much because unless they were made aware it's not Hamill, I for one at least wouldn't have even noticed that it wasn't Hamill doing the voice. Hamill is a legend and I'm sure he hasn't completely retired from doing the voice but to be honest I didn't miss him at all because my eats are still hearing the same sounding voice, with just as much charisma.

I could easily recognize. With Baker you have moments where he slips slightly out of the voice and is lighter toned when speaking, while the YouTuber is great, but doesn't have that magical timing Mark has to lay in the laughs and other things the Joker is known for. Mark has an unmistakable interpretation, and as he gets older it is easier and easier to tell him from others. His Joker has actually gotten better as the years have gone by.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    The Last Of Us (PS3)

I bought this the day it came out and it took me about 16 hours to beat. I kept it but haven't played it again until last night. It's one of my top five best games ever! It's rare that a video game actually makes me really care for our characters on an emotional level. The DLC for a new story comes out soon and I can't wait for it!
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    I have been playing Batman Arkham Origins...best game this year!!!

Death Stroke was a pain in the butt though
    I was feeling some nostalgia the other day, so I popped Final Fantasy VIII in the PS3 and now I'm committing myself to beating it again.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Need For Speed back in the last decade. I never cared for video games , but my son challenged me. I crushed him, and that was that. Since then I have only played Tetris and Solitaire on the computer, but that was boring as hell as well. I know, I am old.
    Whatever happened to playing cards?
    I still play cards some time. Texas Hold 'Em, Blackjack, Solitaire.
  • Batman Arkham Origins

While I'm really enjoying it, it is pretty similar to the last one. Best comparison would be the Ezio sequels in Assassin's Creed, it's a good game that takes what the last one did and built onto it. But it does just feel like something to play while we wait for the next proper game (the Rocksteady sequel).

Still, the story is intriguing, the city is nice (even if it is almost completely lifeless, and half of it is just Arkham City), and the combat is as good as ever. Voice acting is brilliant too, the bloke who plays Joker is the default voice in Saints Row and the new Batman was Ezio in Assassin's Creed but I'd never have been able to tell if I didn't already know.
    Whatever happened to playing cards?

I still play poker fairly regularly.