Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Wasn't really anything special, especially for a $60 price tag.

This is how I feel about everything nowadays.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Agent007391, you and I both. Video games are such a gamble anymore, and I keep falling into the traps. It's because developers can get away with releasing half-assed, glitchy, dull games that they know people will flock to buy. I need to start tuning in and stop buying most of these. Oh well, nothing great is coming out this summer, and I have a big backlog of games I know I like to get to.
    edited May 2013 Posts: 40,474
    I'm not sure if either are available on the PS3, but has anyone played the full version of the Arcade games 'Trials: Evolution' or 'God Mode'? I loved the demos for both, but I'm now contemplating which one to purchase, as I only have enough Microsoft Points for one or the other. The demo for 'God Mode' was really fun, but I fear it will become repetitive very quickly, and 'Trials: Evolution' had a great demo, but all I hear from it is how hard it is, and I don't want to spend the only MSP I have on something that will infuriate me.

On topic, I just beat the original 'Crysis' on my 360. Surprisingly, it was better than the second and third games in the series. I preferred fighting humans over the aliens, but the ending was enjoyable and the entire game was more than worth the $20 I spent on it. Going through on Delta difficulty now.

EDIT: Decided to get 'Trials: Evolution,' which was a bad idea: they put all of the fun, easy levels in the trial, and the full game is mind-numbingly frustrating. Such a shame I'm an achievement whore, makes me regret this purchase even more now.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Remember Me (PS3) - Neo Paris looks beautiful, and the concept of being able to remix a persons memory and changing who they have become is intriguing but the combat is unforgiving. Still, I would be open to a sequel, if the developers could devise a better combat system. That would make dealing with the enemy attacking you in groups, much easier.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 12,837
    The Walking Dead 400 Days It's a bit like the first episode of the season 1, it's good, but it doesn't have what made the last few episodes brilliant as you're not attached to any of the characters.

But it's better than the first episode because it improves on the gameplay. You won't spend ages walking around a chemist looking for items, it sticks to talky bits and actiony bits.

And even though you're not attached to the characters some of the decisions are still pretty tough and there will still be those moments where you briefly feel like crap for what you just did.

It's not as amazing as the first season (if you haven't already, please play it now) but it's a fun, violent set of adventures.
    @thelivingroyale, I've heard that it was a nice little DLC addition for $5 and about an hour of gameplay. Someone I know got excited to play '400 Days,' but they have yet to beat the fifth episode of Season One.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    400 Days was exactly what I paid for. $5 was just enough for it, and we got no more than what it was worth. Yes, some of the characters were a little crap, but overall, it was more of what made the first season good. I'll spoiler tag the rest so that anybody who hasn't played it can ignore what I'm about to say.
    The only two characters who's stories I enjoyed were Vince and Shel. They were the only ones who truly seemed like they had a hard choice to make. Russell was obviously disgusted by what he saw in his previous group, and needed to leave Nate; Bonnie was being treated like sh*t by Dee for what Leland was doing; and Wyatt and Eddie were just two stoners who really shouldn't have been able to survive for 41 days. That was why I hated Wyatt's story so much. It was nice to see Carley's/Doug's corpse during Russell's story, though I could have lived without the cancer survivors during Shel's (oh, and Vernon died... who's surprised?).

Vince, on the other hand, had a real tough choice in either shooting Justin or Danny. My first playthrough, I shot Danny, because when he said "Gimme the gun", I honestly thought he meant to shoot off his own foot. I don't understand why I had a brain fart there, but I did. Second time through, I shot Justin's, simply because he and Ben from the main game share a voice actor, and I can't stand Ben.

And then came Shel's choice of either shoot Stephanie or leave in the camper. First time through, I chose to leave in the camper, because that seemed like the Rick Grimes thing to do. After all, woman taking care of her little sister, why would she want to shoot her best friend just because said best friend is trying to escape the totalitarian state that a bald man is trying to impose? The second time, I chose to Governor it and shoot Stephanie.

Now, one thing I can't figure out, how do you get of the car and look for the body in Wyatt's story? Both times, I tried different options and still ended up winning the Rock-Paper-Scissors game and staying in the car, only the second time it took less time to find the keys (it did, however, take more time to win the RPS game).

Now, I just wish Tavia, at the end, would have just said her settlement is called Woodbury. I can't wait until Season Two comes out, and I find out I'm wrong, but it just seems like it's obviously Woodbury.
    Currently playing Tomb Raider on 360, been impressed so far. Played all the previous titles, this game has helped bring the franchise forward, owes alot to uncharted though retains much from the previous games.
    owes alot to uncharted though retains much from the previous games.

Makes sense. Uncharted owes a lot to Tomb Raider.
  • 00Hero00Hero Banned
    I played EVerything Or Nothing earlier today and imo it would make a good film with Daniel Craig if they did it right.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Playing Battlefield 3 right now.

Finished The Last of Us a week or two ago. One of the best games I've ever played.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Deus Ex (2000)
    deusex.jpg
    Probably one of the best shooters of all time. You play as a cyborg agent JC Denton. Your mission is to uncover a large scale conspiracy. Gotta say, I spent all week playing this game to the very end. It wasn't a cake walk. This is one of the most challenging games I have ever played and I am so thankful for that. Not only is it a shooter, but it has RPG elements too. You can make many choices that will effect the outcome of the game. Such as Shoot em up or pacifist. Your choice. The graphics are dated, but the story is excellent and keeps you wanting more the farther you progress. Instant classic.
    10/10
    I've been playing a LOT of GoldenEye 64 the past couple weeks. I've got every mission from Dam to Train as well as Cradle done on 00 Agent, fighting my way through the remaining three and then the bonus missions once I've unlocked them. Done a lot of cheat-earning; the only cheats I've yet to get are from Facility, Bunker I, Archives, Jungle, Control, Caverns, Aztec and Egyptian. I've gotten much better at the game, too, from all my playthroughs of Train before I got the Silver PP7 cheat (and, I might add, my time was exactly what was required: 5:25, after getting 5:35 once and nearly blowing up the N64).

It's still one of the best games ever made, despite its' questionable-at-best aging in terms of graphics and gameplay. Though that controller is probably the worst-designed thing ever.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Murdock wrote:
    Deus Ex (2000)
    deusex.jpg
    Probably one of the best shooters of all time. You play as a cyborg agent JC Denton. Your mission is to uncover a large scale conspiracy. Gotta say, I spent all week playing this game to the very end. It wasn't a cake walk. This is one of the most challenging games I have ever played and I am so thankful for that. Not only is it a shooter, but it has RPG elements too. You can make many choices that will effect the outcome of the game. Such as Shoot em up or pacifist. Your choice. The graphics are dated, but the story is excellent and keeps you wanting more the farther you progress. Instant classic.
    10/10

I have never played this, but have obviously heard great things. It is a shame just how casual (and therefore easy) games have gotten over the years. Very few offer any challenge nowadays.
    Deus Ex kicks ass. I've still not beaten it, or Invisible War (I've got Deus Ex on the PS2, and Invisible War on the Xbox), but I have beaten Human Revolution. All three kick ass. Favorite, though, has to be Invisible War.

Me, at the very moment I type this, I'm playing Resident Evil Zero, one of the last great games in the series before RE4 made it actiony.
    So I just finished Assassin's Creed 2. It started out fun, I liked the Renaissance setting and Ezio is a very likeable character. Loved listening to the Jesper Kyd score. The controls were pretty terrible though.
    But that ENDING. What were they thinking????? I don't think any further installments can every justify something so ridiculous. Honestly, both Promethus and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull COMBINED would make more sense. I think the ending ruined the game. Pity, because it could have been amazing.
    I have Brotherhood, Revelations, and 3 (that all came with my PS3), and I suppose I'll get around to playing them, but I'll tell you I'm not really looking forward to it.

@Agent: I'm actually replaying Code Veronica for that very reason- one of the last great Resident Evil games. I wasn't a huge fan of zero myself but I did like the remake. Might replay that one next.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 12,837
    FIFA 13 Career mode, as a goalkeeper. I wasn't getting played much so I went on loan to MK Dons because I'll get played more at a lower league team. If I'm played more then my player improves, his stats go up, etc. So then when I go back to West Ham I'll be a better player and I'll get played more because of it.

@jackdagger I've found it's best just to ignore the modern day stuff in Assassin's Creed.

There's no point to it at all, Desmond is a bland character, and all the sci fi space genie crap (like the ending of 2) just confuses and annoys me.
  • I beat the remake of XCOM, XCOM: Enemy Unknown yesterday. A challenging yet very fun strategy game. On your first playthrough, you'll probably have to save after just about every mission. Occasionally you'll get blindsided by outrageously powerful enemies, but that's half the fun!
    jackdagger wrote:
    So I just finished Assassin's Creed 2. It started out fun, I liked the Renaissance setting and Ezio is a very likeable character. Loved listening to the Jesper Kyd score. The controls were pretty terrible though.
    But that ENDING. What were they thinking????? I don't think any further installments can every justify something so ridiculous. Honestly, both Promethus and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull COMBINED would make more sense. I think the ending ruined the game. Pity, because it could have been amazing.
    I have Brotherhood, Revelations, and 3 (that all came with my PS3), and I suppose I'll get around to playing them, but I'll tell you I'm not really looking forward to it.

@Agent: I'm actually replaying Code Veronica for that very reason- one of the last great Resident Evil games. I wasn't a huge fan of zero myself but I did like the remake. Might replay that one next.

Well, when it comes to Assassin's Creed games, Ubisoft intentionally designed them so that you get to the ending, get pissed by how crappy it is, and then play the next one to see what comes from that ending.

Now, onto Code Veronica: PS2 or HD? I've only got the PS2 version, though I'd like to eventually get the HD version, along with the HD version of RE4.
    @thelivingroyale: You know, I could just pretend that the historical parts are canon, and the modern/alien parts are all in Desmond's head because he got brain damage from staying in the Animus too long. At least then he'd be a little more interesting.

@Agent: PS2, although I also have the original one on Dreamcast. I've never heard of a HD version, if that exists I MUST HAVE IT. CV is one of my favorite games of all time.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I have never played this, but have obviously heard great things. It is a shame just how casual (and therefore easy) games have gotten over the years. Very few offer any challenge nowadays.

You must play this Brady. It's on steam for less than 10 dollars. I never once got mad whenever I died because I made the mistake, not the game. It's a rewarding experience. However you have to remember to save often otherwise you will have to get sent back to your last save. It also has many branching paths and goals that effect the ending of the game. It took me around 25 hours in the span of a week just to beat it. I couldn't stop until I beat it. You would love it.
    jackdagger wrote:
    @Agent: PS2, although I also have the original one on Dreamcast. I've never heard of a HD version, if that exists I MUST HAVE IT. CV is one of my favorite games of all time.

PSN/XBLA, together with RE4, I think it's only $20. Separately, I think $14, or something.
    Been wrapping up (and finally finished, after numerous aggravating hours) all the Extreme tracks on 'Trials: Evolution' and getting closer and closer to beating 'State of Decay.' Just spending these coming weeks finishing up games until 'GTA V' is released. I'm so excited.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Been wrapping up (and finally finished, after numerous aggravating hours) all the Extreme tracks on 'Trials: Evolution' and getting closer and closer to beating 'State of Decay.' Just spending these coming weeks finishing up games until 'GTA V' is released. I'm so excited.

It is crazy to think how close we are to its release! The crappy thing is that it will release while I am in college and I will only get to play it when I return home on the weekends.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, that is a shame. Do you distance yourself from games and whatnot while at college? Or do you just not bring anything up to campus on purpose? I'll have (hopefully) a job throughout the rest of the year, so I can take time off accordingly to get in some 'GTA V' time and some time for the Xbox One release.
    Minecraft

I'm crap at this. I was sprinting everywhere and I failed to notice the little hunger meter next to my health bar. Starved to death pretty quickly.

It's good though. Seems like it'll be more fun once I get into it more.

Assassin's Creed 3

Replayed a few of the missions. I've started to like Connor much more. He might not be as badass or charismatic as Ezio but he's a genuinely good person trying to do what's right despite having a really shitty life (with the amount of bad stuff that happens to him, it's a miracle that he isn't a complete emotional wreck).

Not as good a character as Ezio was, but much more interesting and likeable than Altair and Desmond imo.

I would've liked a sequel with him to see him develop more (not that I'm complaining about what we're getting, AC 4 looks like the best one yet).
    @thelivingroyale, once you understand how everything works, what you really need, etc., it's a lot of fun. You could also do Creative mode and just build stuff. Set it to peaceful, and you needn't worry about monsters or your food meter. Granted, it's a lot more entertaining when you have to spend time digging and acquiring your own resources, but if you just want to get to building things, Creative/Peaceful is the way to go.

On my end, I've been playing a lot of 'Battlefield 3' lately, trying to max out the Support and Recon classes. I want to soak up as much of this as I can, before I trade all my games in so I can solely focus on 'GTA V' until the XB1 (and BF4's) release.
    Saints Row IV

Yes it's similar to Saints Row 3. Yes the new Grand Theft Auto will be a million times better. But this game lets me play as a 100 year old obese moustached cockney Jamaican dressed up like a noir detective who disarms a nuke in mid air while aerosmith blares in the background and then cures cancer and fights off an alien invasion, all in the opening act. Oh, and he's the President of the United States.

And as if that wasn't cool enough, almost as soon as I got (literally) dropped into the open world, I was given superpowers and a cyber monster truck.

Stupid, funny and an insane amount of fun. Even better than the last game.

Saints Row IV

Yes it's similar to Saints Row 3. Yes the new Grand Theft Auto will be a million times better. But this game lets me play as a 100 year old obese moustached cockney Jamaican dressed up like a noir detective who disarms a nuke in mid air while aerosmith blares in the background and then cures cancer and fights off an alien invasion, all in the opening act. Oh, and he's the President of the United States.

And as if that wasn't cool enough, almost as soon as I got (literally) dropped into the open world, I was given superpowers and a cyber monster truck.

Stupid, funny and an insane amount of fun. Even better than the last game.

Yeah, if you are looking to just go all out and have a fun time playing a game, you will find few better than the Saints Row series. I may get this, as it has a bit of a superhero edge to it and seems epic in proportions.
    Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

In 1992, Carl Johnson returns to San Andreas from Liberty City to bury his mother, murdered in a drive-by shooting. Though his initial tasks upon returning involve keeping his remaining family together and solidifying the strength of his gang in Los Santos, a web of betrayal sends Carl into exile, first in San Fierro and later in Las Venturas, sending him across the entire state. As Carl builds an empire for himself in two cities he'd never before visited, he eventually is called back to Los Santos, using his acquired wealth and power to finally take back Los Santos for Grove Street.

It's still a masterpiece. It's still the best Grand Theft Auto and one of the greatest video games of all time. If I had to choose one game from the sixth generation as the best, then this is it. The massive scope of the game is something that R* would never rival again until Red Dead Redemption. Yes, the graphics have not aged well, but the narrative is the most compelling in a GTA game to date, and you won't find a better variety of things to do, vehicles to commandeer, or people to encounter in an open world. I'm sure GTA V will finally be the one to beat San Andreas, but since it's held the title for nine years I think it's had an amazing run.

10/10