Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    007 Agent Under Fire
    Had a sleepover the other night and after playing hours of Vice City we decided to unload more nostalgia and play Agent Under Fire. Great fun! We played the driving levels many times to see how cinematic we could make our playthroughs. :))
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 6,396
    I could never get on with San Andreas. From a technical standpoint it is incredible. What R* packed into the game was truly mind boggling but I never felt that "bigger is better" applied to this game. Indeed, I thought it's predecessor, Vice City, was far more fun to play. And that for me is the most important thing for me. SA just felt too vacant in that respect.

I'm going to be fascinated to see how GTAV pans out because again it looks mammoth and I hope they've made it a fun experience as opposed to being a great technical achievement.

So far, Red Dead Redemption is the best game R* have produced.

And for my money, the best PS2 game remains Resident Evil 4.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I'm not a huge fan of San Andreas either. I didn't really like the main character and the storyline didn't interest me at all (although I can barely remember it now).

It was fun when you turned the cheats on because of how crazy it was but that's pretty redundant now because I have Saints Row 3 and 4 which are even more insane.

Vice City is still the best GTA game imo. I think GTA 4 was a better game than San Andreas too.
    So far, Red Dead Redemption is the best game R* have produced.

I agree with that.
    And for my money, the best PS2 game remains Resident Evil 4.

I think it's Nightfire.
    Yeah, if you are looking to just go all out and have a fun time playing a game, you will find few better than the Saints Row series. I may get this, as it has a bit of a superhero edge to it and seems epic in proportions.

Lots of people have been slagging it off, calling it more of a DLC than a full game, but I think you definitely get value for money.

The city is almost exactly the same as Saints Row 3 but they have changed it up a bit with all the alien architecture and exploring has never been a big part of Saints Row anyway. The city is really just a backdrop for all the insane stuff you can do.

It's definitely epic in scale. I'm about an hour or so in now and
    The earth has been destroyed
    I said SA was the best GTA, not the best R* game. I think RDR takes that from an objective viewpoint as well as my own subjective one. Just an absolute masterpiece.

I consider RDR to be the greatest video game of all time. Though GTA V certainly looks capable of bumping it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Has anyone played 'Splinter Cell: Blacklist' yet? I'm really thinking about getting it. Should keep me interested until the release of 'GTA V.'
    Saints Row IV

"Fuck you Paul!" said the obese 100 year old Jamaican cockney karate warrior as he shot the giant energy drink with a rocket launcher shaped like a guitar case.

"That was talent!" screamed the same man to his disgusted team mate half an hour later, after being infected with a sex slave virus that caused him to sign up for an amateur stripper competition where he was dressed as a cowgirl, dancing to simply irresistible.

The brilliant thing about this game is, there's something for everyone. If killing bobbleheads with a giant dildo while playing as The Hulk with a high pitched voice doesn't do it for you, then maybe creating a punk character and earning cash by tearing the city apart in a tank will.

It's also funny. Funniest game I've ever played. Every gag works.

And if you're a fan of the series then there are tons of references to the other games (there's a mission in Stilwater, a mission on the plane from SR3's opening that carries on into the nightclub from SR2, a mission in the penthouse from SR3, etc). Every enemy gang from the series makes a return and you'll be killing old enemies all over again (in different scenarios).

Oh, and Johnny Gat didn't die, and the explanation for him surviving is badass to say the least.

My only complaint is that it's not on Wii U, as I prefer playing on that to playing on my xbox.
    Saints Row IV

When my character
    pulled the main aliens head off and sat in his chair heroically, becoming a space king in an epic ending to a brilliant game,
    I decided that Saints Row 5 will probably be a reboot.

By the end of Saints Row you're the most powerful gang. By the end of Saints Row 2 you're not only the most powerful gang again, but also celebs. By the end of Saints Row 3 you've created an independent city state. At the beginning of Saints Row 4 you become the president, then by the end
    earth has been blown up and you end up as ruler of the galaxy.

A reboot would be the only way of downscaling it and I think that's what they're probably going to do. Saints Row IV was full of references, old characters, etc, it seemed to be saying good bye to what had come before.

The other likely option is to set it at some point in the past, now that
    the saints have gotten their hands on time travel.

Actually that could be pretty cool. Getting stuck in the 80s or somewhere and having to take over a new city would be a great way to downscale it while still carrying on from the other games.
    Do you not think you should be putting that in a spoiler @thelivingroyale? seeing as you have just given away the ending for anyone who has still yet to play it...
    Well it's a given that the main bad guy will die but maybe I described it a bit too much. I'll spoiler tag the spoilery bits.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited September 2013 Posts: 23,551
    In anticipation of the new Arkham game, I finished playing Batman Arkham Asylum a third time.

BatmanArkhamAsylum_batman.jpg

I consider this to be truly one of the very best video games ever. Great story by comic book writer Paul Dini, wonderful graphics, cool challenges and an overall very satisfying gameplay. Only one small gripe: in a minor few cases the game turns slightly 2D and Batman's liberty of moving is heavily restricted. The controls can be rather difficult too then. But like I said, one very small gripe. This game is great!

On to Arkham City...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2013 Posts: 28,694
    DarthDimi wrote:
    In anticipation of the new Arkham game, I finished playing Batman Arkham Asylum a third time.

BatmanArkhamAsylum_batman.jpg

I consider this to be truly one of the very best video games ever. Great story by comic book writer Paul Dini, wonderful graphics, cool challenges and an overall very satisfying gameplay. Only one small gripe: in a minor few cases the game turns slightly 2D and Batman's liberty of moving is heavily restricted. The controls can be rather difficult too then. But like I said, one very small gripe. This game is great!

On to Arkham City...

Yes, finally Batman has gotten the games he deserves, after so many duds and so few hits. I love both Asylum and City enormously, as well as all the references for the fans of the comics/stories inside them. I recently replayed both as well earlier this summer, and it was a near insuperable joy to once again go behind the cowl. Rocksteady have put so much great content into these games, like at the beginning of City where
    you get to pummel fools with only Bruce's fisticuffs (a major geek moment there)
    , the brilliant visuals of a manic Arkham Asylum and bitingly frigid Arkham City, the challenge put forth of a giant room filled to the brim with armed baddies, and more. There is hardly a greater joy in this life than staring down a room filled with a dozen or more men armed with combative weaponry from a high position, and gliding down to beat them into a deep unconsciousness with fast and fluid take downs.

The games go beyond the adrenaline fueled action sequences and touch my heart like very few games can. In Asylum, as
    Scarecrow gets inside Batman's head he reverts to his childhood self at the moment where his parents are taken away, reliving that horrid memory once again; Jim Gordon his only figure of comfort.
    And in Arkham City, in what I believe to be one of the most touching moments in video game history,
    where you can travel as Batman to Crime Alley and pay your respects to dear Thomas and Martha Wayne. Seeing Batman kneeling down in that unforgettable spot by a rose, his hand touching the spot where his parents were taken away from him goes beyond a simple touching display. We see Batman in the very setting that created him, erasing Bruce Wayne and leaving only the Dark Knight in his place. It is in emotional moments like these where we see why Bruce goes out to fight crime every day, because though he knows there will be times of failure and obstacles always in his path, if he can stop just one little boy from losing his parents as he did, he has made a difference.
    Does anyone still play 'Battlefield 3'? I just wanted to see if anyone else loathes the fact that people can pay for their own lobbies, giving other players the ability to kick/ban/switch you to the other team as they please. It's an absolute joke and is wearing thin on me.
    The games go beyond the adrenaline fueled action sequences and touch my heart like very few games can. n Arkham City, in what I believe to be one of the most touching moments in video game history,
    where you can travel as Batman to Crime Alley and pay your respects to dear Thomas and Martha Wayne. Seeing Batman kneeling down in that unforgettable spot by a rose, his hand touching the spot where his parents were taken away from him goes beyond a simple touching display. We see Batman in the very setting that created him, erasing Bruce Wayne and leaving only the Dark Knight in his place. It is in emotional moments like these where we see why Bruce goes out to fight crime every day, because though he knows there will be times of failure and obstacles always in his path, if he can stop just one little boy from losing his parents as he did, he has made a difference.

City is one of the absolute greatest video games I've ever played. I don't believe masterpiece is too subtle a word. "Pay Your Respects" is easily one of the most powerful moments ever put in a video game, up there with Fox's death monologue in MGS and when "Far Away" begins to play once you cross into Mexico in RDR.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2013 Posts: 28,694
    The games go beyond the adrenaline fueled action sequences and touch my heart like very few games can. n Arkham City, in what I believe to be one of the most touching moments in video game history,

City is one of the absolute greatest video games I've ever played. I don't believe masterpiece is too subtle a word. "Pay Your Respects" is easily one of the most powerful moments ever put in a video game, up there with Fox's death monologue in MGS and when "Far Away" begins to play once you cross into Mexico in RDR.

I looove those parts in RDR. Hell, I love almost everything about RDR. Talk about a masterpiece. The game has one of the best, most emotionally powerful story lines in gaming, that truly moves you on a higher level that just an enjoyment of the gameplay. RDR stays with you long after you finish it.

I don't think I've ever been so stunned or in awe of a video game before until that happened in RDR. Just unloading on men, crossing over, and when the song starts and you're on foot (from what I remember), the music just fit perfectly, and I felt like I was in a movie.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited October 2013 Posts: 1,812
    Blood Stone 007

I owned and played the crap out of this game back when I had a 360. I just bought it for the PS3 and I'm close to about halfway through it. I don't really understand some of the hate it got but to each his own, I guess. My only complaints about it are the graphics, they're decent but could be better, and multiplayer, it's fun but only for about an hour or so and they could've done more with it. "Blood Stone 007" is definitely in my top five Bond games. Next I'm planning on getting "GoldenEye 007: Reloaded", it's in my top three Bond games.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The game is called Blood Stone, not Blood Diamond.

I nearly died of excitement when I thought there was a game based off of the film 'Blood Diamond.'
    Creasy47 wrote:

I don't think I've ever been so stunned or in awe of a video game before until that happened in RDR. Just unloading on men, crossing over, and when the song starts and you're on foot (from what I remember), the music just fit perfectly, and I felt like I was in a movie.

On horse. Marston gets on a horse in the cutscene, and as you begin riding, after about five seconds the song starts. IMO the best moment in VG history.
    @StirredNotShaken, can't believe I forgot that, and I agree. My mouth just dropped when it happened at how cinematic it was.
    Creasy47 wrote:

I nearly died of excitement when I thought there was a game based off of the film 'Blood Diamond.'

Leonardo DiCaprio is James Bond 007 in

BLOOD
    DIAMOND
    Creasy47 wrote:

Leonardo DiCaprio is James Bond 007 in

BLOOD
    DIAMOND

Four copies, please, because I'm sure the first three will just melt from being played so much.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    It actually works, all except for the Leonardo DiCaprio part. I've never actually seen all of the film, just a couple of snippets here and there.
  • retrokittyretrokitty The Couv
    Pong

pong.jpeg
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Cue that unmistakable theme...

Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis (PS2)
    jurassic-park-operation-genesis-3.jpg

Business management, Jurassic Park style. Apparently, this is one of the PS2's rare games, and ultra rare on the Xbox. I came across this game by chance, and bought it for £10. My park is up and running, though there have been some Dinosaur deaths. No breakouts, yet....
    It's probably rare for a reason...
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    That could mean that gamers didn't sell their copies. By that same train of thought, if I saw a lot of pre-owned copies of Metal Gear Solid or Grand Theft Auto, would that mean they're poor games (my personal thoughts on those series aside)? It's actually an addictive game.
    Actually, my reason was because it's a Jurassic Park game. I didn't see many of those in stores when it was popular.
    I've been stitching between two games recently:

Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis (PS2)
    Since my last post, i've installed a T-Rex in my park. I have discovered that he, she, or it, has the mother of bad attitudes. Not only has it attacked and destroyed 3 safari cars, but it's also taken to attacking the fences. Still no breakouts yet, so... good news.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist (PS3)
    As a long time Splinter Cell fan, going all the way back to the original game on the PS2, it takes some getting used to not having Ironside voice Fisher. I still don't quite understand why they changed voice actor. I know that they wanted the mo-cap actor to voice Fisher as well, but there are not that many occasions where such a set up was needed. Other than the lack of Ironside, i'm enjoying this game. The ability to customise Fisher's weapons/gear is a welcome addition. It's especially fun when you buy the sonar and thermal upgrades for the goggles.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Blacklist is a great game, although I still think chaos theory is the best SC game in the series. As for lack if ironside, that didn't bother me too much as Fisher's character model looks different so it's a loss that's easy to swallow. Now, Sutherland voicing BB is going to take some serious getting used to.