GUILTY PLEASURES

edited June 2013 in General Movies & TV Posts: 2,341
We all have them. We pick a show or episode from a favorite show that is somewhat "guilty"
Some of my pics
JOAN OF ARCADIA It ran for only two seasons but it was kinda fun and quirky at times
DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES I loved the first season but dropped it midway thru Season 3. I did tune in for the finale. Felt I owed it that much.
MISTRESSES This is a new one just started. I recall one of the BBC by the same title. I happened to tune in and can see that this is just a rehash of the BBC series. The plot is identical. Is it watchable? I doubt it but Alyssa Milano is smoking hot.
DALLAS The new series. I got hooked on this and actually enjoy it. Can't wait to see the third season next January.

Be interested to hear some of yours

Comments

• edited June 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Torchwood

Doctor Who's bisexual mate played by John Barrowman leads an entirely bisexual team of Alien fighters to battle villains such as: a terrible CGI demon thing, a cyber woman, a group of cannibals, a terrible CGI version of death and (I'm serious), a sex monster that feeds off orgasms. Oh, and the whole thing takes place entirely in Cardiff.

It was branded as "Doctor Who for adults" when really it was just "Doctor Who with worse acting, worse characters, some blood and lots of sex and swearing", but it really was enjoyable.

And then surprisingly the third series was actually really good. It was hard to believe that you were watching the same show.

And then season 4 was co produced by an American network, they introduced a bunch of awful characters and it was no longer brilliant, it wasn't even shit but enjoyable. It was just boring.
    Not judgment please, but... The Gilmore Girls. I started watching it because of Lorelai (Lauren Graham is in my top list of dream females). Then I enjoy it very much. It was funny and had smart dialogue.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 4,622
    Baywatch TV series
    I am a huge fan of this American classic which ran for 11 seasons, from 1989 to 1990 and from 1991 to 2001.
    I used to know all my Baywatch girls as well as my Bond-girls.
    Probably about 15-20 Baywatch girls had recurring roles over the years. I am talking official life-guard roles of course.
    In Baywatch world, life-guards are hired first and foremost for their cheerleader appeal and "form" when running along the beach.
    It's one of the great cheeseball dramas, but it has it's own distinct charm. I would say classic Baywatch is the first 6 seasons. Then it got real tacky, which isn't actually a bad thing, as it transitioned post Pamela Anderson. Anderson was such an iconic star of the show, that they overcompensated for her loss, by overloading with a bevy of new boob-job actresses, including Carmen Electra.
    Eventually they got back to a more manageable cast. The final season did not include the Hoff though. I don't think Baywatch was meant to be, minus the Hoff.
    The early seasons have almost an innocence about them. The characters dedication to live-saving and their own personal dramas is so very earnest. ;)
    Unfortunately this show is not available on dvd in North American beyond the first four seasons. The complete series seem to exist in the Euro market only. Germany in particular. The Hoff factor I guess.
    I of course do own the first four seasons on dvd, but some day I've got to get hold of a PAL or an all-region player I guess, and order the 7 remaining seasons.

The 1990's decade was defined by Brozzer Bond and Baywatch.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I like Columbo very much. It's probably not a guilty pleasure, though, as it is most excellent. What do others here think?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I like Columbo very much. It's probably not a guilty pleasure, though, as it is most excellent. What do others here think?

It's very good indeed. Now, it's in the same vain but Murder, She Wrote is a real guilty pleasure of mine.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

It's very good indeed. Now, it's in the same vain but Murder, She Wrote is a real guilty pleasure of mine.

I remember my mom watching re-runs as I grew up. Such a class show.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Although it was created by the same people, I'm not a big fan of Murder, She Wrote - it is definitely classed rightly as a GUILTY PLEASURE!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I'm glad to know at least one other person likes it!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited June 2013 Posts: 16,331
    Remington Steele. ;) The show that made Pierce Brosnan a house hold name. A nice comedy/drama detective show. It's about Laura Holt (Played by Stephanie Zimbalist) Who is a private investigator who can't get any work because nobody wants to hire her. So she makes up an employer "Remington Steele" And she starts getting high profile jobs. Then when people start wanting to meet Mr. Steele things get tense...that is, until she meets a mysterious man. (Pierce.) He takes the name to get away from some thugs and a quirky partnership begins.

The bulk of the series is very good. Though avoid it's 5th season at all costs, It's a terrible season with new shoehorned characters, crazy plot and repeated jokes. It's also why Brosnan couldn't do The Living Daylights, however It's good Dalton got the role as Brosnan still looked too young despite being in his mid 30's at the time. Anyway that's my Guilty pleasure. :)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    2 Broke Girls - It's far from the most sophisticated comedy, but it's my tv show guilty pleasure.

:\">
  • RikRik Southend
    For me The A-Team was a huge childhood favourite and is something I can still enjoy :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Murdock, love 'Remington Steele.' I wouldn't even consider it a guilty pleasure, I just love it and don't really mind who knows it.

In terms of shows, I used to watch 'The OC' when it was on every week. It's quite embarrassing, but it had its moments. My new guilty pleasure (thanks to the never-ending stampede of 'Watch this, watch that.' by my girlfriend) is 'The Fosters.' I...it's enjoyable.
    The Secret Life of the American Teenager
    I am rewatching Roseanne.
    Pretty Little Liars
    Dinner Date. Really dumb. And I hate reality TV. But I always enjoy watching this one.

Desperate Housewives I thought used to be quite smart for a dramedy/soap/melodrama. The first season I enjoyed shamelessly. Then it became a caricature of itself and I stopped watching it.
    Dragonpol wrote:

One of my favourite Tv shows, though technically Movies. Peter Falk is a legend. I think the only one i have never seen is the last one he did. Owned various Box sets over the years.
    Another one: I've been watching Nashville. I don't like it as much as Gilmore Girl but it has country music (which I love) and the protagonists are both smoking hot, if I may say so.
  • Sometimes I hate to admit it, I even need a shower when it's over because I need to wash off
    the shame. Occasionally I keep up with the Kardashians. L-)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Miami Vice. Well, it certainly feels like a 'guilty pleasure' the way friends and family snicker when I mention it's something I love to watch. So what? This show was epic!
    QBranch wrote:
    Miami Vice. Well, it certainly feels like a 'guilty pleasure' the way friends and family snicker when I mention it's something I love to watch. So what? This show was epic!

I always thought Miami Vice was highly regarded as a tv show. Now after The Wire I don't think any cop show holds a candle to it, still Miami Vice is nice in an escapist way.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I have a lot of guilty pleasure films, including

Showgirls
    D.O.A
    Dr Strange
    an entire slew of cheap horror film including many trashy 80s Italian horror flicks

and the utterly abysmal yet oh so amusing Blood Feast
    DarthDimi wrote:

Showgirls
    D.O.A
    Dr Strange
    an entire slew of cheap horror film including many trashy 80s Italian horror flicks

I love the work of Dario Argento, in particular Suspiria and Tenebrae

I have a movie in mind which is the ultimate definition of a 'Guilty Pleasure'.

Escape To Victory. I love it not because I love films (it's an utterly crap movie) but because I love football. Pele scores an overheard kick and Stallone saves a last gasp penalty. What's not to love about that?
  • Blake`s 7, where eagles dare, the wages of fear
  • oo7oo7
    DarthDimi wrote:

Showgirls
    D.O.A
    Dr Strange

since when is D.O.A. trashy?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Batman & Robin. So terribly funny. Accent on the 'terrible,'
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 78
    Breaking Bad, and it is so hurtfully good.