SPECTRE: So who's going to play Ernst?

Comments

• RC7RC7
    The Joker is a pretty big draw whoever plays him. He's a pop-culture icon. I don't think you can lump Blofeld in the same category, I know what you're getting at though.
    RC7 wrote:
    The Joker is a pretty big draw whoever plays him. He's a pop-culture icon. I don't think you can lump Blofeld in the same category, I know what you're getting at though.

The Joker great pop culture? I don't know about that. James Bond was big pop culture back in the 1960's. And I think that used to be similar with Batman. But not recently...
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:

The Joker great pop culture? I don't know about that. James Bond was big pop culture back in the 1960's. And I think that used to be similar with Batman. But not recently...

James Bond and Batman are pop-culture icons. Doesn't matter what decade.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 3,494
    I still don't get why people want a damaged and fatally flawed character back. Is it some sense of nostalgia? Or is it, Bond's been rebooted so anything goes? I'm with @Murdock, I love my classic Bond but it's time to move on.

And who exactly decided QUANTUM didn't work? Some pathetic film critics? Some idiots who are so utterly clueless that they would rather watch a cheesefest like DAD? If you on this side of the coin think because a certain segment of Bond fandom reacted poorly enough that Barb and Mike are going to scrap the idea, think again. The last word from Mike was that QUANTUM WILL be revisited at some point and there's a whole lot they can do with this idea, in other words, correct the mistakes they made with Blofeld/SPECTRE and improve them.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I still don't get why people want a damaged and fatally flawed character back. Is it some sense of nostalgia? Or is it, Bond's been rebooted so anything goes? I'm with @Murdock, I love my classic Bond but it's time to move on.

And who exactly decided QUANTUM didn't work? Some pathetic film critics? Some idiots who are so utterly clueless that they would rather watch a cheesefest like DAD? If you on this side of the coin think because a certain segment of Bond fandom reacted poorly enough that Barb and Mike are going to scrap the idea, think again. The last word from Mike was that QUANTUM WILL be revisited at some point and there's a whole lot they can do with this idea, in other words, correct the mistakes they made with Blofeld/SPECTRE and improve them.

I agree with this. Keep Blofeld/SPECTRE how and when they were and just continue along with Quantum. No need to revive an old organization just because Bond was 'rebooted' in 2006, yet completely drop the organization that was presented in QoS.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2013 Posts: 4,446

SPECTRE has always been some kind of crime equivalent of the British Secret Service MI6: SPECTRE was, like MI6 a secret organization too. They were hiding in most peculiar ways....an old abandoned bauxite mine ('Doctor No'), a yaught in a place we still don't know where it was located ('From Russia With Love'), the International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons (The SPECTRE cover equivalent of Universal Exports in 'Thunderball'. Marvellous cover ;-))and an expensive research institute on Piz Gloria ('On Her Majesty's Secret Service').

But QUANTUM? Oowh no, they don't believe in secrecy. They prefer an open air board meeting at a Tosca opera performance in Bregenz, Austria. I found that quite......weird and unrealistic for a crime syndicate. It's time that a crime syndicate operates in full secrecy again. At least for the two upcoming Bond films.

Mr White whas suprised remember that Mi6 and Cia don't know about them.
    There introduce Quantum in QOS and there possible starting group or each time exist with other people. Remember Mr White: We Have People everywhere. If you get any idea what Quantum real goal be, you wil understand that Quantum like to play that there be seen if needed and sometimes don't. Tosca is lessen for them.

Return of Quantum/Mr White and mabey Dominic Green are my expections in the shadow of Blofeld (not mean he actualy return, but it be something Blofeld can have done too like i expect also be a litle bit Eliot Carver shadow wil play a part.)
    Martin-Vanger.jpg

Stellan Skarsgard
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    GalaSilva wrote:
    Martin-Vanger.jpg

Stellan Skarsgard

Interesting choice there. Looks a big like a younger Karl Stromberg!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    RC7 wrote:

Are you serious???

doubleoego wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Are you serious???

I'd say Batman is bigger than ever, no?

I'm not even a fan and I know that!
    I think Dr Evil put paid to any hope of seeing Blofeld return to the franchise, certainly in the guise we're used to seeing him in.

If EON did reintegrate Blofeld, I would imagine the only connecting facet of his character that would remain in tact would be his name. Gone would be the bald head, the white cat, the villainous lair etc. It would, in essence, be a complete 'reboot' of the character.
    I think Dr Evil put paid to any hope of seeing Blofeld return to the franchise, certainly in the guise we're used to seeing him in.

If EON did reintegrate Blofeld, I would imagine the only connecting facet of his character that would remain in tact would be his name. Gone would be the bald head, the white cat, the villainous lair etc. It would, in essence, be a complete 'reboot' of the character.

Yes, that would be the only way that it would be acceptable to me too. preferably under a new name like Dr Guntram Shatterhand or something and he would be the Blofeld of the novels, with none of the tropes of the old bald cat-loving Blofeld.
    Le Chiffre from the 1954 novel was kind of a fat guy no? Walking with a walking stick with an in-build gun (bit like Zukovsky's looks in GE and TWINE).

But in the end the cinematic Le Chiffre from the 2006 film was changed considerably......into a handsome Albanian chess protégé with an Hitler-esque haircut. The only thing that truly remained was his name: Le Chiffre.

So why ignoring this beautiful, Hungarian-German sounding name of 'Ernst Stavro Blofeld'? Simply because Dr. Evil destroyed his image? Nonsense.....the villain is always crafted to today's political world we live in.
    John Logan obviously is clearly a Bond fan and very respectfull to the canon etc. I'm sure he is aware there is a huge demand for Blofeld's return so if there is a way of bringing him back in a modern way I'm confident he's the right man to do so. Sam Mendes I'm sure will have some ideas on this. I just have a feeling that Blofeld may be kept back until Chris Nolan's Bond in the future as much as we want him to appear in Bond 24.
    Le Chiffre from the 1954 novel was kind of a fat guy no? Walking with a walking stick with an in-build gun (bit like Zukovsky's looks in GE and TWINE).

But in the end the cinematic Le Chiffre from the 2006 film was changed considerably......into a handsome Albanian chess protégé with an Hitler-esque haircut. The only thing that truly remained was his name: Le Chiffre.

So why ignoring this beautiful, Hungarian-German sounding name of 'Ernst Stavro Blofeld'? Simply because Dr. Evil destroyed his image? Nonsense.....the villain is always crafted to today's political world we live in.

Well, true on Le Chiffre. I suppose if it is done in a way respectful to the Fleming canon, then I can at least countenance it.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 3,494
    LeChiffre wrote:
    John Logan obviously is clearly a Bond fan and very respectful to the canon etc. I'm sure he is aware there is a huge demand for Blofeld's return so if there is a way of bringing him back in a modern way I'm confident he's the right man to do so. Sam Mendes I'm sure will have some ideas on this. I just have a feeling that Blofeld may be kept back until Chris Nolan's Bond in the future as much as we want him to appear in Bond 24.

Well, I know there is a certain segment of fans here as well as seemingly John Logan's statement that show there is a certain demand for Blofeld, but where has it been demonstrated through some sort of research that the demand is so "huge" that EON and Michael Wilson have retreated from their assertion that QUANTUM will be back? Scrapping QUANTUM without resolving their threat one way or another via a future release is truly a mistake. It's insulting as I've said to make an assumption that a majority of people want to, or will forget about a brand new worldwide organization that's barely been touched on and was a large part of two successful films at the box office. SPECTRE/Blofeld was murdered between DAF, FYEO, and McGlory's insatiable greed. If a reintroduction is thoughtfully crafted in respect to QUANTUM, I'd give it a chance, otherwise I feel the concept is rather like explaining why Spinal Tap's drummers die in mysterious ways- best left alone.

Elimintating QUANTUM would be akin to DAF's ignorance of Tracy's death. Completely
    unacceptable to say the very least.

I disagree with you about Blofeld, but I agree with you about Quantum. Like I said before in this thread or another, Bane was turned into a joke in Batman & Robin, but was used in TDKR. I doubt anybody ever noticed he had been in the Schumacher travesty.

That said, if I do want the return of Blofeld eventually, I would like to finish the Quantum arc. That QOS disappointed is takes nothing away from the organization as a potent threat.
    Ludovico wrote:

I disagree with you about Blofeld, but I agree with you about Quantum. Like I said before in this thread or another, Bane was turned into a joke in Batman & Robin, but was used in TDKR. I doubt anybody ever noticed he had been in the Schumacher travesty.

That said, if I do want the return of Blofeld eventually, I would like to finish the Quantum arc. That QOS disappointed is takes nothing away from the organization as a potent threat.

I agree. I too would like to see the Quantum arc finished with the Craig era. I like QoS, though.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

I agree. I too would like to see the Quantum arc finished with the Craig era. I like QoS, though.

Oh, I liked QOS too, even though it was flawed.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Oh, I liked QOS too, even though it was flawed.

A diamond in the rough, if you will.
  • The Joker great pop culture? I don't know about that. James Bond was big pop culture back in the 1960's. And I think that used to be similar with Batman. But not recently...

Have you heard of a little movie called 'The Dark Knight'? I would argue that, thanks to Heath Ledger, the Joker is more of a pop culture icon the last few years than EVER before.

Have you heard of a little movie called 'The Dark Knight'? I would argue that, thanks to Heath Ledger, the Joker is more of a pop culture icon the last few years than EVER before.

Agreed. Much more famous than Blofeld, I would wager, given that he is a figure very much in the past by this stage of events.
  • Dragonpol wrote:

Well, true on Le Chiffre. I suppose if it is done in a way respectful to the Fleming canon, then I can at least countenance it.

Orson Welles he wasn't :)
    Dragonpol wrote:

Agreed - although Welles was near the size of the original Fleming Le Chiffre.
    Dragonpol wrote:

Agreed. Much more famous than Blofeld, I would wager, given that he is a figure very much in the past by this stage of events.

Well isn't that a bit easy to explain? I mean, The Joker made several cinematic appearances in recent history. Most recently 1989 and 2008.

Blofeld however, was put down the chimney in 1981....and that was even a parody-performance, as Cubby wanted to teach arch enemy Kevin McGlory a lesson. Ever since then....no human being...no kid....had the possibility to grow up with the bald headed villain.
    edited July 2013 Posts: 17,813
    Dragonpol wrote:

Well isn't that a bit easy to explain? I mean, The Joker made several cinematic appearances in recent history. Most recently 1989 and 2008.

Blofeld however, was put down the chimney in 1981....and that was even a parody-performance, as Cubby wanted to teach arch enemy Kevin McGlory a lesson. Ever since then....no human being...no kid....had the possibility to grow up with the bald headed villain.

Well, I don't see the beef as that's what I myself meant in my post above that you have quoted. The years are there, as dodgy car mechanics always say.
  • Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Exactly what I was referring to and CR67 specifically. I at least remember from one chair squirming viewing who was in it and who was who.

Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Exactly what I was referring to and CR67 specifically. I at least remember from one chair squirming viewing who was in it and who was who.

Yes, Welles' performance was one of the better things about CR '67.
    I remember seeing a documentary on CR67 some years back. Am I right in saying that Sellers and Welles shot the baccarat scene separately as they couldn't stand each other?
    I remember seeing a documentary on CR67 some years back. Am I right in saying that Sellers and Welles shot the baccarat scene separately as they couldn't stand each other?

I've not heard that, but that's very interesting nonetheless.