SPECTRE: So who's going to play Ernst?

Comments

• AgentCalibosAgentCalibos Banned
    Perhaps they could have him with a new look all together and maybe give him his familiar appearance in a later movie, i cant be the only one that wondered how he got that scar under his left eye in YOLT. In this time around maybe Bond could be the one that gave him that scar since its an alternate timeline of sorts.
    How about ditching the spoofed image altogether and go back to Fleming's Blofeld? I said it before: the general moviegoer knows zilch about Blofeld, they never remembered the name of the guy stroking the white cat. So use Fleming's Blofeld and the various appearances he had in the novels. For a TB-like Blofeld, have someone like Ciaran Hinds (but he is probably too old now, unfortunately). For a OHMSS-like Blofeld, say Tim Roth or Christoph Waltz.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The actor who played Guy Haines in QoS looked like how Blofeld was portrayed in the novel OHMSS.
  • AgentCalibosAgentCalibos Banned
    OHMSS style blofeld anyone?
    kevin1.jpg
  • tqbtqb
    No one will probably play Ernst
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2013 Posts: 13,350
    This all dates back to a comment, likely a joke, made nearly two years ago:

http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=9703&catid=107&t=tb&s=cr

I doubt it will ever happen but who knows what is planned.
  • OHMSS style blofeld anyone?
    kevin1.jpg

Sign me on for that. Doesn't even have to be Blofeld, I'd love Kevin Spacey as a Bond Villain.
    Ohmss style Blofeld should be tall, thin and with white hair.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ohmss style Blofeld should be tall, thin and with white hair.

He also had build-in sunglasses, covering his entire eyes. Making his eyes look entirely black, like an alien.
    Actually, who would be in for the idea of first having an uncredited Blofeld, without face? Let's say for Bond 24 ánd Bond 25? Yes, a famous actor should play that role. But EON could create a lot.....A LOT of buzz if they can keep the name of that 'famous Hollywood actor' secret until the premiere of Bond 24. I'd say.....that would be another Billion Dollar Bond :-).
    Actually, who would be in for the idea of first having an uncredited Blofeld, without face? Let's say for Bond 24 ánd Bond 25? Yes, a famous actor should play that role. But EON could create a lot.....A LOT of buzz if they can keep the name of that 'famous Hollywood actor' secret until the premiere of Bond 24. I'd say.....that would be another Billion Dollar Bond :-).

Difficult to keep such secret nowadays. And people would recognize the voice if he is famous.
    Bond 24 ? Bond 25 ?

How about Bond 39 or Bond 243 ?

It's getting goddamn ridiculous sometimes, people looking so far ahead. We've only just had the last release a short while ago and some people are like foaming at the mouth or falling over themselves to see the next damn release or even subsequent entries

Last word on this, and I don't care even if the franchise has been re-booted, I wouldn't want to see a return of Ernst Stavro Blofeld in todays Bond. Just wouldn't feel right, the character hasn't even been seen (officially) for over forty years and a resurrection now, just seems like a poor idea

I hope all this 'Blofeld resurrection' business is eventually dead in the water and we never see this character back in 21st Century Bond, but you know that you're going to be in for (another) eventual disappointment
    Ludovico wrote:

Difficult to keep such secret nowadays. And people would recognize the voice if he is famous.

Or at least for the 'uncredited Blofelds' an unfamous actor? That is being dubbed?
    Bond 24 ? Bond 25 ?

It's getting goddamn ridiculous sometimes, people looking so far ahead. We've only just had the last release a short while ago and some people are like foaming at the mouth or falling over themselves to see the next damn release or even subsequent entries

Last word on this, and I don't care even if the franchise has been re-booted, I wouldn't want to see a return of Ernst Stavro Blofeld in todays Bond. Just wouldn't feel right, the character hasn't even been seen (officially) for over forty years and a resurrection now, just seems like a poor idea

I hope all this 'Blofeld resurrection' business is eventually dead in the water and we never see this character back in 21st Century Bond, but you know that you're going to be in for (another) eventual disappointment

How often was the Joker used in the various Batman movies? Blofeld can reappear in a fresh, inventive way.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 11,119
    Bond 24 ? Bond 25 ?

I think your tone and voice doesn't add to the fun certain Bond nerds like me have. It's a bloody 2,5 years until we see a new Bond film again. For me it adds to the fun of being a fan. Hell, that's why we have this forum.

But why saying 'it's getting goddamn ridiculous'? Why not give a nuanced answer with nuanced arguments of why you do not want to see Blofeld...instead of ranting like an angry Blofeld....

Moreover, 're-inventing the wheel' is what made the Daniel Craig Bond films BIG. If you keep ranting about bringing Blofeld back, then why not ranting about how 'Q', Moneypenny, 'M' and Bond itself have been re-invented in the past three Bond films??

Also, do not forget the Bond franchise is not 5 films big, it is a frikkin' 23 (+1, 1954, + 1 1967, + 1 1983) films big. Re-inventing the wheel becomes some sort of necessity then. I wanna bet Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson would agree with me here.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    You heard it here first, folks. Idris Elba will be the new Blofeld.
    doubleoego wrote:
    You heard it here first, folks. Idris Elba will be the new Blofeld.

Gosh, he is a great actor and I loved him in The Wire and think he may win an Oscar, I think he should become a Bond villain, that said Idris Elba is NOT Blofeld. Buonaparte Ignace Gallia, certainly, but Blofeld? No.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Bond 24 ? Bond 25 ?

John Logan is writing the next two films so why shouldn't we discuss them?

And what the hell do you want us to talk about if not the next Bond film? It's always been about talking with each other about what we'd like to see in the following films. You act as if this is something new.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Blofeld should not return in my view. The character wasn't transferred top the screen from the source very accurately (apart from OHMSS) so I wouldn't hold out for better this time around. It's in the past, just like the character of, say, Dr Julius No. It's best to let it stay there.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Blofeld should not return in my view. The character wasn't transferred top the screen from the source very accurately (apart from OHMSS) so I wouldn't hold out for better this time around. It's in the past, just like the character of, say, Dr Julius No. It's best to let it stay there.

If Blofeld had been done completely and perfectly in the previous movies, like Dr. No, I would say yes, let leave him the past. But let's face it, they were so inconsistent with him and the character has been so massacred that he needs a proper revamp.
    edited July 2013 Posts: 17,806
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

If Blofeld had been done completely and perfectly in the previous movies, like Dr. No, I would say yes, let leave him the past. But let's face it, they were so inconsistent with him and the character has been so massacred that he needs a proper revamp.

I still think Blofeld should remain a part of the past. When they ditched Blofeld after DAF they had some of the best villains of the series, freed from the SPECTRE chains. SPECTRE and Blofeld on film were boring and dull - like Kingsley Amis said just run up on the spot for Bond to have target practice on. None of Blofeld's actual background or character really made it onto the screen (apart from OHMSS, of course). There are plenty of original Fleming villains (Le Chiffre, 2006 for example) that never made it to the screen first time around - they should have a look at doing them or doing something similar instead.
    MGW said in an interview that they most likely wouldn't use Blofeld again. Good. Bond has only been rebooted. Not all 20 movies that came before.
    Murdock wrote:
    MGW said in an interview that they most likely wouldn't use Blofeld again. Good. Bond has only been rebooted. Not all 20 movies that came before.

Indeed. I'm glad to hear of that from such high authority. That should put the 'Bring Blofeld Back' campaign to bed rather, one would hope. It's all pointless really - idle chatter, if you will.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Indeed. I'm glad to hear of that from such high authority. That should put the 'Bring Blofeld Back' campaign to bed rather, one would hope. It's all pointless really - idle chatter, if you will.

That's not to say they can't use Blofeld in future Bond games. A James Bond game where you take on SPECTRE would be exciting, but with the direction FPS are going and the unpopularity of TPS's I shan't hold my breath.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

I still think Blofeld should remain a part of the past. When they ditched Blofeld after DAF they had some of the best villains of the series, freed from the SPECTRE chains. SPECTRE and Blofeld on film were boring and dull - like Kingsley Amis said just run up on the spot for Bond to have target practice on. None of Blofeld's actual background or character really made it onto the screen (apart from OHMSS, of course). There are plenty of original Fleming villains (Le Chiffre, 2006 for example) that never made it to the screen first time around - they should have a look at doing them or doing something similar instead.

SPECTRE on film was used for DN, FRWL, TB, OHMSS, hardly boring and dull films. Blofeld was overused after OHMSS and was rather weak in YOLT, but what created the issue was not so much the use of a nemesis for Bond, but the overuse of him, and a very poor follow up after OHMSS. I am all in favor of not overusing a recurring adversary, but Bond, like many heroes, has a nemesis in Blofeld and this can leads to great stories and great characterization. If not Blofeld, then a Blofeld-like character, a recurring adversary. That does not prevent the franchise to introduce unused Fleming characters: the Spangs, Hammerstein, Grubozaboischikov, etc.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Yep, its a different timeline anyway, so Blofeld does not exist anyway.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

SPECTRE on film was used for DN, FRWL, TB, OHMSS, hardly boring and dull films. Blofeld was overused after OHMSS and was rather weak in YOLT, but what created the issue was not so much the use of a nemesis for Bond, but the overuse of him, and a very poor follow up after OHMSS. I am all in favor of not overusing a recurring adversary, but Bond, like many heroes, has a nemesis in Blofeld and this can leads to great stories and great characterization. If not Blofeld, then a Blofeld-like character, a recurring adversary. That does not prevent the franchise to introduce unused Fleming characters: the Spangs, Hammerstein, Grubozaboischikov, etc.

Just for the sake of clarity I meant the Blofeld of YOLT and DAF more than his other film appearances. These Blofelds bore little to no resemblance to the complex character created by Ian Fleming. This is why I think Blofeld is rather stale news and should not be reused in any of the Bond films. They had their chance to create Blofeld in YOLT and DAF and they pretty much blew it. Blofeld became a cartoon villain and very little else. Blofeld should remain in the past. Dead and buried. The Austin Powers series of spoof films also did irreparable harm to the Bond films' depiction of Blofeld and the figure is more than a bit of a joke nowadays, and probably rightly so.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 11,119
    I agree Blofeld was overused in the Bond films, but the fact IS that ever since his last appearance Blofeld hasn't been used at all.

And yes, his last appearances where mainly for the sake of fun (DAF, FYEO). But what stays in our minds still is that mysterious, uncredited villain in FRWL and TB. A villain that strokes a cat, has an eery voice and just by pushing a few buttons creates death.

I also think that the use of Blofeld in the early Bond films would have been better if they used Fleming's novels in chronological order. As you know, Harry and Cubby used the novel that was easiest to film at that time, creating several chronological mistakes (the main one Blofeld not recognizing Bond in OHMSS).

With the reboot of James Bond in the Daniel Craig films, Bond producers Michael and Barbara created a much better environment to stay loyal to chronological correctness. In that environment I think Blofeld could be re-introduced much better, in a realistic and nuanced way. Perhaps not even as the bald, cat stroking villain, but at least as a credible, returning antagonist to Bond and MI6.

Concerning Michael and Barbara's remarks about introducing Blofeld: Please give me a written source or the actual interview. From what I know it still is the screenplaywriter who writes the initial story/plot for Bond 24 and not Michael and Barbara. And it is John Logan himself who clearly said: "James Bond must always fight Blofeld".
    Murdock wrote:
    Can you provide a link for this, @Murdoch?
    I agree Blofeld was overused in the Bond films, but the fact IS that ever since his last appearance Blofeld hasn't been used at all.

And yes, his last appearances where mainly for the sake of fun (DAF, FYEO). But what stays in our minds still is that mysterious, uncredited villain in FRWL and TB. A villain that strokes a cat, has an eery voice and just by pushing a few buttons creates death.

I also think that the use of Blofeld in the early Bond films would have been better if they used Fleming's novels in chronological order. As you know, Harry and Cubby used the novel that was easiest to film at that time, creating several chronological mistakes (the main one Blofeld not recognizing Bond in OHMSS).

With the reboot of James Bond in the Daniel Craig films, Bond producers Michael and Barbara created a much better environment to stay loyal to chronological correctness. In that environment I think Blofeld could be re-introduced much better, in a realistic and nuanced way. Perhaps not even as the bald, cat stroking villain, but at least as a credible, returning antagonist to Bond and MI6.

Concerning Michael and Barbara's remarks about introducing Blofeld: Please give me a written source or the actual interview. From what I know it still is the screenplaywriter who writes the initial story/plot for Bond 24 and not Michael and Barbara. And it is John Logan himself who clearly said: "James Bond must always fight Blofeld".

Well, there is a reason for his absence from the Bond films after DAF (not counting the uncredited FYEO PTS appearance, again due to legal reasons) is due to the legal problems with the ownership of the Blofeld character and SPECTRE. Blofeld and SPECTRE were meant to return in TSWLM in 1977 but they were prevented from doing so by renewed legal action by Kevin McClory and they had to create a new villain in Karl Stromberg instead. although he was pretty much a clone of Dr. No and Blofeld under a new name.

Having said all that, SPECTRE and Blofeld as legal entities are of course back in the hands of Eon so the ball is in their court - Kevin McClory having died in 2006. I would be more on for a Fleming-faithful version of Blofeld, but I'd prefer it if the character were not allowed to return at all.