SPECTRE: So who's going to play Ernst?

Comments

Ludovico wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Well last time Mendes wanted Simon Russell Beale and Kevin Spacey but they couldn't take part due to the timing. Maybe this time...

Not sure how true these rumours were. Although I think Beale could make a great TB Blofeld.
    And although he might be getting old, what about Stellan Skarsgard?

I like that idea! I think Skarsgard could do a great job as Blofeld. As for Beale I've never seen him in anything else but in the photos I've seen he's just too fat and short, and then Kevin will just be compared to Lex Luther the whole time if he does Blofeld so I'd rather not have him in the role.

As an aside, as people are posting on this thread I assume that you all want to see Blofeld return? Because I certainly do, and the sooner the better. Bond 24 should see Quantum return and it's leader revealed as Blofeld. Others agree?

Spacey may not have to be bald in the hypothetical movie, but since he played Dr. Evil in Austin Powers 3, I am afraid of the association. And I do find him too famous. Ten years ago I would have said Skarsgard would have been perfect. Now he might be getting a bit old.

I would love to see Blofeld return, but I would rather have him as head of SPECTRE than Quantum, so the Quantum story should be ended first, hopefully in Bond 24.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 14,831
    inukai44 wrote:
    I Can see the teaser being a fake news report talking about a terrorist attack and then it shows James in a car chase with the new Aston Martin vanquish and another vehicle comes out of nowhere ramming his car and causing him to spin out and hit a stone pillar in a tunnel it then skips to a chair facing away from a desk and a voice says "pleased to make your acquaintance Mr.Bond" and the chair turns but the trailer cuts to black and the tag line appears with the 007 logo under it would be a cool trailer. I think they should reinvent him but keep something as an nod to the old blofeld probably the white Persian cat

I think the cat has been too often seen in parodies. Not to mention overused in the series itself.
    TheHotMess wrote:
    Since the Craig era is in an alternate timeline, why not they play off the Skyfall rumors of Blofeld and have Ralph Finnes' M turn out to be Blofeld, the leader of Quantum.

What a story twist that would be. Plus it could lead to the return of the M we are more familiar with, Miles Maservy

No. Soap opera stuff. Bad idea.
    Ludovico wrote:
    TheHotMess wrote:
    Since the Craig era is in an alternate timeline, why not they play off the Skyfall rumors of Blofeld and have Ralph Finnes' M turn out to be Blofeld, the leader of Quantum.

What a story twist that would be. Plus it could lead to the return of the M we are more familiar with, Miles Maservy

I think it's clear that Eon wouldn't try and bring back an old M, especially with a new actor. Absolutely pointless.

Not that there has ever been much character to M, until the more recent films.
    All the arguments about not using Blofeld could be applied to Q and Moneypenny as well so there is no reason a re-imagined contemporary, non Dr. Evil, Blofeld would not work. He's more than a cat and a retro grey suit. (Though I wouldn't mind the cat).
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 2,189
    Ludovico wrote:
    TheHotMess wrote:

Yeah, as much as I wish that they would have cast Fiennes as Blofeld, that ship has sailed. He's M now, and I wouldn't want to see any silly change-ups.
    delfloria wrote:
    All the arguments about not using Blofeld could be applied to Q and Moneypenny as well so there is no reason a re-imagined contemporary, non Dr. Evil, Blofeld would not work. He's more than a cat and a retro grey suit. (Though I wouldn't mind the cat).

As for this, I could not agree with you more, including the use of the cat; although I'd like to put a twist on it perhaps and have it be a white tiger or an albino lion or something.
    The thing about the cat is that it was at first a clever visual trick: as Blofeld's face could not be seen, the cat was used to keep the attention of the viewer on something. Then it became overused and of course spoofed to death. Maybe a white tiger could work, although I'd be afraid of the temptation of CGIs.
    Just a thought that came to my mind: he does not quite look like I imagined Blofeld, but Jared Harris could play him.
    Just as Craig has reinvented Bond and made him feel real again i see no reason they couldn't do the same with Blofeld. Make him more like the character in the books and if it was written and played well then why not. Watching Daybreak the other the great actor Mark Strong was interviewed and was saying he and Craig were great mate's. Well there is your new Blofeld right there
    cooperman2 wrote:
    Just as Craig has reinvented Bond and made him feel real again i see no reason they couldn't do the same with Blofeld. Make him more like the character in the books and if it was written and played well then why not. Watching Daybreak the other the great actor Mark Strong was interviewed and was saying he and Craig were great mate's. Well there is your new Blofeld right there

Agreed. I wonder why some people keep thinking that Blofeld will automatically be a Dr. Evil looking Blofeld.

That said I am not sure about Mark Strong as Blofeld. I think Blofeld would need to be a bit older.
    Quantum07 wrote:
    I would love, love, love to see a Quantum centered plot for Bond 24 with all of the featured Quantum members referring to their leader as "the Director" of Quantum:

"The Director will be hearing about this."
    "I might not frighten you, but the Director is on his way here now"
    "You can't protect me from the Director, James, no one can."

Maybe throw in a scene with the Director of Quantum, but not show his face. It would be very important to make him ominous and feared by those who know him to help build his character. Then at the very end of the film, Bond is able to hack into a computer before the building blows up and retrieve one name: "Blofeld"

I just reread this. Not sure about making Blofeld the head of Quantum, but giving a title to the leader of the organisation and have him be referred by it only seems a great idea: it gives a good ominous chill. It can be The Director, or a military title, or some other title.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 2,189
    Ludovico wrote:
    Quantum07 wrote:
    I would love, love, love to see a Quantum centered plot for Bond 24 with all of the featured Quantum members referring to their leader as "the Director" of Quantum:

Maybe throw in a scene with the Director of Quantum, but not show his face. It would be very important to make him ominous and feared by those who know him to help build his character. Then at the very end of the film, Bond is able to hack into a computer before the building blows up and retrieve one name: "Blofeld"

I just reread this. Not sure about making Blofeld the head of Quantum, but giving a title to the leader of the organisation and have him be referred by it only seems a great idea: it gives a good ominous chill. It can be The Director, or a military title, or some other title.

Addressing him as "Director" or "The Director" makes me think of Nick Fury and the Adjustment Bureau respectively so I'm not sure that would be the ideal title to use. Better yet, have a scene where he is addressed as "Number One". I envision it like this:

After a stand-alone opening title sequence, the credits fade away to reveal a wide-shot of the Burj Khalifa in Dubi at night. A shot at street level reveals Mr. White getting out of a black Mercedes, before making his way into the building. Next we see him exit an elevator and walk into a dimly-lit restaurant. Rudely he walks right past the welcoming receptionist and makes his way to the back, where a man is sitting at a booth, eating a salad alone. This man, who's face is never seen, does not greet Mr. White, but rather begins asking him questions about the status of an unspecified 'project', to which Mr. White gives quick, simple answers. Then the anonymous man gives Mr. White a set of advisory instructions based on the news which he has just been given. After this brief and nondescript conversation there is a pause before Mr. White asks, "Anything else?" The anonymous man points to the napkin in front of Mr. White and says "Just that. See that the board is informed of this new directive immediately." Mr. White flips the napkin over to find a flash-drive hidden beneath it. He takes the drive and replies simply, "Yes Number One," before standing, and walking away. As he walks away, the camera pans slowly back toward the anonymous man, who is still eating, and the camera focuses on his right hand where, on his middle finger is set a platinum ring monogramed with the letter 'Q'.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Cast Alan Rickman as Blofeld and we'll talk. :)
    Ludovico wrote:
    Quantum07 wrote:

Addressing him as "Director" or "The Director" makes me think of Nick Fury and the Adjustment Bureau respectively so I'm not sure that would be the ideal title to use. Better yet, have a scene where he is addressed as "Number One". I envision it like this:

After a stand-alone opening title sequence, the credits fade away to reveal a wide-shot of the Burj Khalifa in Dubi at night. A shot at street level reveals Mr. White getting out of a black Mercedes, before making his way into the building. Next we see him exit an elevator and walk into a dimly-lit restaurant. Rudely he walks right past the welcoming receptionist and makes his way to the back, where a man is sitting at a booth, eating a salad alone. This man, who's face is never seen, does not greet Mr. White, but rather begins asking him questions about the status of an unspecified 'project', to which Mr. White gives quick, simple answers. Then the anonymous man gives Mr. White a set of advisory instructions based on the news which he has just been given. After this brief and nondescript conversation there is a pause before Mr. White asks, "Anything else?" The anonymous man points to the napkin in front of Mr. White and says "Just that. See that the board is informed of this new directive immediately." Mr. White flips the napkin over to find a flash-drive hidden beneath it. He takes the drive and replies simply, "Yes Number One," before standing, and walking away. As he walks away, the camera pans slowly back toward the anonymous man, who is still eating, and the camera focuses on his right hand where, on his middle finger is set a platinum ring monogramed with the letter 'Q'.

I have not seen Nick Fury or The Adjustment Bureau, so I couldn't tell. I would be happy with any title of authority, either administrative or military. My only problem with Number One is that it has been done very often before. But I like the scene you describe.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited March 2013 Posts: 11,139
    Murdock wrote:

The way Rickman pauses for effect or slows down the pace of pronouncing certain words is easily the best in the business. Can you imagine if Rickman was given Silva's opening monologue? It would have been EPIC.

doubleoego wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

The way Rickman pauses for effect or slows down the pace of pronouncing certain words is easily the best in the business. Can you imagine if Rickman was given Silva's opening monologue? It would have been EPIC.

Problem with casting Rickman is that he is getting old (and him playing a villain may be slightly predictable). Rickman looks like OHMSS Blofeld like Ciaran Hinds looks like TB's Blofeld, but these are casting suggestions that I think were good a few years ago.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 908
    Well, that's Easy. Not only no, but HELL NO!!! Please no more selfreferencing Bond anymore! It started with DAD (which at least had the excuse of being Nr 20 and of introducing 007 to the 21. Century), became embarassing in CR,made a delightfull Pause in QoS just to Return Big Style in the all-embarassing SF. A Hero should be able to stand on his Own Feet,be admired for his Own traits and Merits, not just whistle permanently the "Do you remember when I was original, young and Self relying" tune.

P.S.:This Statement could just as well stand in the Sylvia Trench thread ( and about a dozen more, i guess)
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    Well, that's Easy. Not only no, but HELL NO!!! Please no more selfreferencing Bond anymore! It started with DAD (which at least had the excuse of being Nr 20 and of introducing 007 to the 21. Century), became embarassing in CR,made a delightfull Pause in QoS just to Return Big Style in the all-embarassing SF. A Hero should be able to stand on his Own Feet,be admired for his Own traits and Merits, not just whistle permanently the "Do you remember when I was original, young and Self relying" tune.

P.S.:This Statement could just as well stand in the Sylvia Trench thread ( and about a dozen more, i guess)

What is self-referencing about revamping Blofeld? If I adapt a Sherlock Holmes story to the cinema, is it self-referencing to use his nemesis Moriarty? And Blofeld is to Bond what Moriarty was to Holmes. I am not saying making him the enemy of every movie, but he can be used the way Fleming used him.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Yeah, if we get a new Blofeld, I want him done right with a real Moriarty-like appeal to Bond. I can't wait to get to the Fleming books that he appears in.
    Yeah, if we get a new Blofeld, I want him done right with a real Moriarty-like appeal to Bond. I can't wait to get to the Fleming books that he appears in.

It will make you see the character in a whole new light.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:

What is self-referencing about revamping Blofeld? If I adapt a Sherlock Holmes story to the cinema, is it self-referencing to use his nemesis Moriarty? And Blofeld is to Bond what Moriarty was to Holmes. I am not saying making him the enemy of every movie, but he can be used the way Fleming used him.

First of all you can't compare James Bond to an almost comic figure like Sherlock Holmes. I mean is there anybody Out there,who Takes Holmes really seriously?These are Stories about an egocentric Genius, which mostly amuses us with his pecularities, not Adrenalin pumping Tales taking Place in the somehow Real World.

Concerning Blofeld - this is simply a Name from the Grave. He and the Kind of Organisation he Stands for (in two of the worst Bond Flics ever!) is,what gave Bond such a Big,Bad,Camp Name to beginn with for so many intelligent People (i am obviously not one of them -missing Intellect or not - Since i have been on the hook from Year Nine ) and was given the ultimate Coup de Grace by Austin Powers! I am much more Fond of those lurking in the shadows "who have people everywhere " as i see them as a much more realistic threat.

By the Way, until he killed Tracy Bond was rather bored with the Guy himself,arguing with M,that he was a "Has Been". There was nothing like the intellectual magnetism that attracted Holmes to Moriaty.

Actually, yes I can compare James Bond to Sherlock Holmes, it has been done before actually, among others by Anthony Burgess, who drew comparisons between the two in hos foreword to YOLT a couple of years ago. Holmes is paraliterature, but he is not a comic character, although he has been parodied. Holmes, just like Bond, IS meant to exist in the somehow real world of the crime fiction sub-genre. Yes, both characters have differences (Bond is obviously meant to be more average). They also have similarities: patriotism, Jack of all trades (although again Holmes), a certain liking to addictive substances, they both represent British heroism, etc. Actually, Fleming makes the analogy himself in FRWL, through the voice of a Soviet officer.

I don't know which of the worst Bond movies you are referring to, but Blofeld has also been in some of the BEST Bond movies (FRWL, TB, OHMSS, not counting Dn where SPECTRE is first mentioned). Not to mention in three great Bond novels where he appears. Yes, Blofeld was overused in the past and became then a shadow of himself, yes he was spoofed to death, or rather his image was spoofed. Had you been reading this thread with some attention, you would see that most of us don't think a new Blofeld should be anything like the Dr. Evil parody but a complete reboot/revamp of the character based on the original novels. What the public remember of Blofeld is not his name but the cat, the scar, the parodied characteristics, which are not essential to the characters and could be abandoned altogether without anybody in the audience but the fans noticing he is the model of Dr Evil.

If Bond was bored with Blofeld, then he was wrong as the events proved that the villain was anything but has been. Again, there are differences between Blofeld and Moriarty, but like him Blofeld is a master criminal at the head of a criminal organisation, like Moriarty he had for a while a modest background, where he hid his exceptional nature. Like Moriarty he is linked to the hero's apparent death, like Moriarty he stays in the shadow while his minions do his dirty work).
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Ludovico wrote:

That is great to hear. And I will hate the DAF writers about 10,000X more than I do now, too, I am sure.
    Ludovico wrote:

That is great to hear. And I will hate the DAF writers about 10,000X more than I do now, too, I am sure.

YOLT goes way beyond spy fiction to become something else entirely.
  • RC7RC7
    Ludovico wrote:

Yes, hopefully you will join the band of us (a surprisingly small band I must admit) that understand the films haven't even scratched the surface of Blofeld, and don't necessarily view him as a bald pussy stroker.
  • RC7 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Yes, hopefully you will join the band of us (a surprisingly small band I must admit) that understand the films haven't even scratched the surface of Blofeld, and don't necessarily view him as a bald pussy stroker.

"Bald pussy stroker" That sounds way too dodgy!!! Agree that Blofeld should be revisited and should not be viewed as a one dimensional character which descended into the ridiculous thanks to DAF and the parody Dr Evil!
  • RC7RC7
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. Can't quite figure if it's a viable triple-entendre but it'll do.
    RC7 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

"Bald pussy stroker" That sounds way too dodgy!!! Agree that Blofeld should be revisited and should not be viewed as a one dimensional character which descended into the ridiculous thanks to DAF and the parody Dr Evil!

I blame Tom Manckiewhatshisname entirely for the joke that became Blofeld. I think the character could have survived YOLT, but DAF was the first spoof, heck, desecreation, of Blofeld.
  • RC7 wrote:
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. Can't quite figure if it's a viable triple-entendre but it'll do.

It sure made me chuckle.
    :))
  • Ludovico wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

I blame Tom Manckiewhatshisname entirely for the joke that became Blofeld. I think the character could have survived YOLT, but DAF was the first spoof, heck, desecreation, of Blofeld.

Agree entirely. DAF was spoof alright. Blofeld desecration is most certainly was.