SPECTRE: So who's going to play Ernst?

Comments

Quantum07 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

I think Blofeld should be reintroduced, but I wouldn't be happy with this hypothetical scenario, except maybe the casting of Lewis. If they keep the cat, why change the name? And why keep the cat if it has been spoofed to death and it you want to refresh the character? What Joe Public remembers of Blofeld is not the name, it is the cat, the scar, etc. Make Blofeld like the novels's Blofeld and he will be like a completely original character. He will be a completely new character, in a way.

The point that I was trying to make being that it seems that most of the anti-blofeld members on here seem to only have a problem with the name Blofeld. I modern villain that is essentially a reinterpretation seems to be fine as long as he has a different name. I think that the name Blofeld means nothing to the audience of today and I'm all for a him returning.

Oh I am sorry, I misunderstood.
    @Gustav Graves-I agree with you, there is an element of bizarre in Bond villains. I would certainly not want a "plain" badguy and I loved how they made Silva weird in an unsettling way. I would imagine Blofeld like it, not using the old characteristics, but creating new ones.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Ludovico wrote:
    echo wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    For those who think Blofeld will not work because it has been spoofed by Mike Myers, do you think anybody noticed Bane in Batman and Robin?

Bane is a secondary villain.

Babs is on record that Mike Myers makes using Blofeld more difficult.

Bane was not the secondary villain in The Dark Knight Rises. He was in B&R, however. I know Barb said this, but again it is presuming that Blofeld would be akin to the 60s one, with some or all of the spoofed characteristics.

And let's not forget what Naomie Harris said publicly about Eve not being Moneypenny. Barb could be leading us on.

He is a secondary villain in Batman & Robin, hardly what people remember from that movie (that would be Robin).
    I must say that I'm disappointed that the Rumors that Fiennes was going to play Blofeld turned out not to be true. He would have made a great Blofeld.

I'm excited to see him portray M though, I think he'll do great!
    Quantum07 wrote:
    I must say that I'm disappointed that the Rumors that Fiennes was going to play Blofeld turned out not to be true. He would have made a great Blofeld.

I'm excited to see him portray M though, I think he'll do great!

In the end I am glad he wasn't Blofeld. Because it would have been a bit obvious, since he played Voldemort before. And while he is mature enough for M, he is "young" enough to stay in the role for long. I always wanted Blofeld to be played by Ciaran Hinds, but he is probably too old now.
    100th Post!!! I must celebrate somehow...
    2835948-number-100-celebration-cupcake-with-confetti.jpg

Anyways.... Where was I....

Yeah, I think Fiennes will be an interesting M. I can't wait to see how his relationship with Bond over the next few films grows and develops. I'm probably in the minority when I say this, but I hope that he, like Dench, also plays a more active role than the earlier Ms... Same goes for Harris's Moneypenny now that we know she can handle a gun.

As for Blofeld, I could absolutely see Ciaran Hinds inheriting the role, but my first choice is absolutely Daniel Day Lewis. Day Lewis could bring such depth to the character and really make him something great! Benedict Cumberbatch would be an interesting choice, as an intellectual savant-type. His age might be an issue though as he is 8 years Craig's junior...
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 14,831
    Benedict Cumberbatch is way too young. Blofeld should be older than Bond. Older, wiser, smarter AND a physical match. Ciaran Hinds might be too old now, but 10 years ago I would have said he IS Blofeld. Daniel Day Lewis would be a good choice as a OHMSS looking Blofeld. Gary Lewis too. For a TB looking Blofeld, right now I have no idea. Mikael Persbrandt maybe? Don't know him much, but he has an interesting face.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Benedict Cumberbatch is way too young. Blofeld should be older than Bond. Older, wiser, smarter AND a physical match. Ciaran Hinds might be too old now, but 10 years ago I would have said he IS Blofeld. Daniel Day Lewis would be a good choice as a OHMSS looking Blofeld. Gary Lewis too. For a TB looking Blofeld, right now I have no idea. Mikael Persbrandt maybe? Don't know him much, but he has an interesting face.

Traditionally I think Blofeld is seen as older than Bond, but also is Q. I think if Q can be updated to be younger, Blofeld could be too.

Also, I think that wiser smarter AND physically equal might be a little too much to ask...
    Ludovico wrote:
    Benedict Cumberbatch is way too young. Blofeld should be older than Bond. Older, wiser, smarter AND a physical match. Ciaran Hinds might be too old now, but 10 years ago I would have said he IS Blofeld. Daniel Day Lewis would be a good choice as a OHMSS looking Blofeld. Gary Lewis too. For a TB looking Blofeld, right now I have no idea.

I love actor Ciaran Hinds. He was especially good in the new politica miniseries 'Political Animals'. I loved him. The thing is, I think the Bond producers would likely opt for a more famous actor, one with as much starpower as Javier Bardem.

Moreover, I think the Bond producers are already writing the screenplay around a particular actor, like they did with 'Skyfall'. I wouldn't be surprised if one of these three actors would get the job:

- Christoph Waltz (55 years of age, won one Oscar): He was memorable as Colonel Hans Landa in 'Inglourious Basterds'. And I think it would be my pick for Blofeld.
    - Philip Seymour Hoffman (44 years of age, won one Oscar): He hasn't done so many villains, only the one 'Mission: Impossible III', where he played the true psychotic Owen Davian.
    - Daniel Day-Lewis (54 years of age, won two Oscars): Daniel Plainview ('There Will Be Blood') and Bill 'The Butcher' Cutting ('Gangs Of New York') were unforgettable villain roles. Daniel has a tendency to be very picky with screenplays, so I am curious if he would go onboard the production of a blockbuster movie. It will typecast him more firmly in the future.

Quantum07 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Traditionally I think Blofeld is seen as older than Bond, but also is Q. I think if Q can be updated to be younger, Blofeld could be too.

Also, I think that wiser smarter AND physically equal might be a little too much to ask...

But Q was not written by Fleming in details like Blofeld. It is one of the Bond villain with most backstory! And it works better to have the leader of a criminal group of such importance be a mature, experienced man, not a young wolf. And let's not forget that he has to look threatening facing Craig. I am not convinced at all that Cumberbatch can cut it. The last real young villain we had was Gustav Graves/Toby Stephens. It didn't work very well.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Benedict Cumberbatch is way too young. Blofeld should be older than Bond. Older, wiser, smarter AND a physical match. Ciaran Hinds might be too old now, but 10 years ago I would have said he IS Blofeld. Daniel Day Lewis would be a good choice as a OHMSS looking Blofeld. Gary Lewis too. For a TB looking Blofeld, right now I have no idea.

I love actor Ciaran Hinds. He was especially good in the new politica miniseries 'Political Animals'. I loved him. The thing is, I think the Bond producers would likely opt for a more famous actor, one with as much starpower as Javier Bardem.

Moreover, I think the Bond producers are already writing the screenplay around a particular actor, like they did with 'Skyfall'. I wouldn't be surprised if one of these three actors would get the job:

- Christoph Waltz (55 years of age, won one Oscar): He was memorable as Colonel Hans Landa in 'Inglourious Basterds'. And I think it would be my pick for Blofeld.
    - Philip Seymour Hoffman (44 years of age, won one Oscar): He hasn't done so many villains, only the one 'Mission: Impossible III', where he played the true psychotic Owen Davian.
    - Daniel Day-Lewis (54 years of age, won two Oscars): Daniel Plainview ('There Will Be Blood') and Bill 'The Butcher' Cutting ('Gangs Of New York') were unforgettable villain roles. Daniel has a tendency to be very picky with screenplays, so I am curious if he would go onboard the production of a blockbuster movie. It will typecast him more firmly in the future.

The biggest obstacle for Ciaran Hinds is his age. At 60, he is a bit too old (and I know I want a mature Blofeld, but I imagine in his late 40s at the youngest). Let's not forget that they cast fairly unknown in two of the three Bonds Craig played in. Even Javier Bardem, while a famous actor, is not the most famous actor. I doubt Hoffman will play Blofeld, because of his role in MI III. My bet would be on Waltz or Day-Lewis, but I wouldn't rule out lesser known actors. And this is of course if they are planning to do a movie with Blofeld in the near future. If he only shows up for say Bond 25 or 26, then who knows who is going to play him.
    Michael Fassbender would make a good Blofeld IMO.
  • Ludovico wrote:

Christopher Eccleston- No idea how old, won 0 Oscars but is one of the best actors working. Watch Shallow Grave and Let Him Have It. Also watch Doctor Who, he's pretty good in that too. And he's a Bond fan, he's said before he loves the films and I think I remember reading something about him almost playing Renard in TWINE.

Americans will know him as the bad guy in GI Joe (no I don't know why he was in that either) and Gone In 60 Seconds, and the invisible bloke from the first series of Heroes. He's also in the new Thor film as the villian so his film career is starting to take off.
    Ludovico wrote:

Christopher Eccleston- No idea how old, won 0 Oscars but is one of the best actors working. Watch Shallow Grave and Let Him Have It. Also watch Doctor Who, he's pretty good in that too. And he's a Bond fan, he's said before he loves the films and I think I remember reading something about him almost playing Renard in TWINE.

Americans will know him as the bad guy in GI Joe (no I don't know why he was in that either) and Gone In 60 Seconds, and the invisible bloke from the first series of Heroes. He's also in the new Thor film as the villian so his film career is starting to take off.

And he is also a friend and long time colleague of Daniel Craig. He played with him in Ours Friends in the North and Elizabeth. That said I am not sure about him as Blofeld. I find him too British looking/sounding, if that makes any sense.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Savalas was American and he played a brilliant Blofeld. Also, you don't get more villainous than us British lol.
  • @Ludovico Well I don't think he'd play Blofeld with a northen accent if that's what your worried about, haha.

I think he really looks the part too.
  • Should of avoided this topic again, but it'll only invariably get to the top of the page again sooner or later, regardless of another mention

I really can't comprehend why some would want a return of Ernst Stavro Blofeld. The last we saw of the character - officially - was in 1971, with a quite awful performance from Charles Gray, whereas Savalas should of been the final appearance of the character in 1969 with his great characterization, and not (Gray) made an embarrassment of Blofeld at the start of the 1970s with his portrayal

It's an obselete character, archaic and outdated. It's going to be severely disappointing or inappropriate to have Blofeld back in 21st Century Bond from this perspective. There's been a lot of changes in Bond the last few years - not all for the better - and if they do go ahead with this damn Blofeld resurrection - I can only admit it will be a lousy decision. Simply an outdated character with no place in todays Bond

and then - and then, I remember the re-boot, with pretty much renders everything mentioned as redundant. I keep forgetting the franchise started in 2006 didn't it ?, and everything else before that is irrelevant, more or less ? :-<

Nonetheless, I stand by my thinking. re-boot or No re-boot, it's something we haven't seen for 40 years or more, and I hope it isn't featured (first time now, or otherwise)

Who's going to play Ernst ? - Nobody, I can only hope. I actually got irritated doing this response of all things. Must be a sensitive issue for me
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 135
    Should of avoided this topic again, but it'll only invariably get to the top of the page again sooner or later, regardless of another mention

I really can't comprehend why some would want a return of Ernst Stavro Blofeld. The last we saw of the character - officially - was in 1971, with a quite awful performance from Charles Gray, whereas Savalas should of been the final appearance of the character in 1969 with his great characterization, and not (Gray) made an embarrassment of Blofeld at the start of the 1970s with his portrayal

It's an obselete character, archaic and outdated. It's going to be severely disappointing or inappropriate to have Blofeld back in 21st Century Bond from this perspective. There's been a lot of changes in Bond the last few years - not all for the better - and if they do go ahead with this damn Blofeld resurrection - I can only admit it will be a lousy decision. Simply an outdated character with no place in todays Bond

and then - and then, I remember the re-boot, with pretty much renders everything mentioned as redundant. I keep forgetting the franchise started in 2006 didn't it ?, and everything else before that is irrelevant, more or less ? :-<

Nonetheless, I stand by my thinking. re-boot or No re-boot, it's something we haven't seen for 40 years or more, and I hope it isn't featured (first time now, or otherwise)

Who's going to play Ernst ? - Nobody, I can only hope. I actually got irritated doing this response of all things. Must be a sensitive issue for me

Many critics of James Bond used your exact same "obsolete, archaic and outdated" argument to justify not resurrecting James Bond in the 1990's. Thank God Eon doesn't seem to share your opinions or logic, otherwise the Brosnan and Craig films would never have happened!
    Who should play Ernst? No one. Who should play Blofeld? Someone. Think about that.

I think, since we're all rebooted and whatnot, that the character shouldn't be the same - but he should carry the Blofeld name, and a similar hatred for all things living.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Savalas was American and he played a brilliant Blofeld. Also, you don't get more villainous than us British lol.
    @Ludovico Well I don't think he'd play Blofeld with a northen accent if that's what your worried about, haha.

I think he really looks the part too.

Maybe that's what I am fearing, the Northern accent. I am not sure. I picture Eccleston more as a red Grant type of villain, I guess. And I know British actors make great villains, I even suggested one as Blofeld: Gary Lewis.
    Should of avoided this topic again, but it'll only invariably get to the top of the page again sooner or later, regardless of another mention

I fail to understand how Blofeld is in any way archaic and outdated. And the fact that he left the series in a whimper, a shadow of himself, a parody is in itself a good enough reason to want him rebooted in full sinister glory. Fleming wrote a great Blofeld, why not have this Blofeld in the series?
    Yes........i would love to see 'Blofeld' make a comeback.

I mean Blofeld is to Bond, as is Moriaty to Sherlock Holmes.

.......so far, i personally think 'Telly Savalas' as Blofeld has been the best portrayal of the character on film.
    'Donald Pleasance' didnt have the physical attributes to be as menacing....and 'Charles Gray' portrayal was a bit too camp.

What what would be good would be to have an upto date adaptation of the character who could be as tough physically and mentally to take on Craig's...Bond.....that would be some duel.

Oh yes................it would help if he had no hair either..................haha.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 14,831
    mepal1 wrote:
    Yes........i would love to see 'Blofeld' make a comeback.

I mean Blofeld is to Bond, as is Moriaty to Sherlock Holmes.

.......so far, i personally think 'Telly Savalas' as Blofeld has been the best portrayal of the character on film.
    'Donald Pleasance' didnt have the physical attributes to be as menacing....and 'Charles Gray' portrayal was a bit too camp.

What what would be good would be to have an upto date adaptation of the character who could be as tough physically and mentally to take on Craig's...Bond.....that would be some duel.

Oh yes................it would help if he had no hair either..................haha.

I completely agree with the Miriarty analogy.

To me, Erich Pohlmann was the best Blofeld. It's the voice that makes the difference. But yes, Savalas was maybe the best "physical" Blofeld. The challenge today would be having an actor who can be both a voice and a physical presence.
    I don't know if I said it here before, but I take the hypothetical return of Blofeld like the use of Bane in The Dark Knight Rises. He was a joke in a previous Batman movie, but who remembers him in there?
  • Phillip Seymour Hoffmann. That is all.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Phillip Seymour Hoffmann. That is all.

Interesting choice. Philip can just disappear in a role and can be extremely menacing. I grin when he tells Ethan Hunt in MI3 that if he loves anyone he will find them and kill them. Chilling stuff.
  • Phillip Seymour Hoffmann. That is all.

YES!

He would nail Blofeld, or any villain for that matter. Having seen The Master, I'm convinced Jaoquin Phoenix would nail a villain role; the guys sitting on a lot of intensity. I would love to see him explode at Bond.

Personally, I think it may be an interesting change of direction if John Hawkes took the part. He has this weird scrawny creepy vibe. But the dream is that Daniel Day-Lewis will eventually cut loose and have some fun and b e in a big budget film, personally I can't see it happen but if there was ever going to be a franchise to lure him it would be Bond. He said once during the promo for Jack and Rose that he would love to play Bond someday when an interviewer asked. I'll try dig it up.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

YES!

He would nail Blofeld, or any villain for that matter. Having seen The Master, I'm convinced Jaoquin Phoenix would nail a villain role; the guys sitting on a lot of intensity. I would love to see him explode at Bond.

Personally, I think it may be an interesting change of direction if John Hawkes took the part. He has this weird scrawny creepy vibe. But the dream is that Daniel Day-Lewis will eventually cut loose and have some fun and b e in a big budget film, personally I can't see it happen but if there was ever going to be a franchise to lure him it would be Bond. He said once during the promo for Jack and Rose that he would love to play Bond someday when an interviewer asked. I'll try dig it up.

Who knows how committed Daniel would get, knowing him. I mean, if he was playing an MI6 agent he would apply for the intelligence service and spend a year or two getting the proper real life experience, and if he was playing a villain Fleming knows how he would find inspiration there. :))

A great comment was made about him being in the future Star Wars films and it went something like:

"If Daniel was going to be a part of the new Star Wars films he would train for years to be a jedi and at that point he wouldn't even want to be in the film because HE'D BE A JEDI!"

YES!

Who knows how committed Daniel would get, knowing him. I mean, if he was playing an MI6 agent he would apply for the intelligence service and spend a year or two getting the proper real life experience, and if he was playing a villain Fleming knows how he would find inspiration there. :))

A great comment was made about him being in the future Star Wars films and it went something like:

"If Daniel was going to be a part of the new Star Wars films he would train for years to be a jedi and at that point he wouldn't even want to be in the film because HE'D BE A JEDI!"

Of all the actors mentioned, I think Daniel Day Lewis is the one I'd like to see most in the role, because I think unlike most of the ones mentioned, he could disappear into the character. If he reads the three novels with Blofeld in it, he could pull out a great performance that would make us forget the spoofed version.

Ralph Fiennes was often rumoured for the role, and I am glad he is now M, because playing Blofeld would have been too predictable.
    Ludovico wrote:

YES!

Of all the actors mentioned, I think Daniel Day Lewis is the one I'd like to see most in the role, because I think unlike most of the ones mentioned, he could disappear into the character. If he reads the three novels with Blofeld in it, he could pull out a great performance that would make us forget the spoofed version.

Ralph Fiennes was often rumoured for the role, and I am glad he is now M, because playing Blofeld would have been too predictable.

Maybe it would have been a tad predictable, but Ralph's Voldemort makeup without the nose slits would be a chilling portrayal.