Bond 24 - 23rd Oct/US 6th Nov 2015 - Sam Mendes Back As Director

Comments

• JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    JamesPage wrote:
    I doubt Newman will be back, unless everyone involved has a short memory.

He will be back. Mendes will obviously want to work with him again and it seems like the producers really want to keep Mendes happy. Which is great, Newman made an amazing score, the Oscar nomination was well deserved.

I'm glad everyone here can see the future with such clarity! ;)

I was talking about behind the scenes relations, not the quality of his score.

Put it this way, you're lucky there was a Bond theme at all in the movie.
    If you say so @JamesPage, I believe you. I can only assume it was him that didn't want much Bond theme. Too bad as I didn't mind his score but I would like to see Arnold back.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, I am really glad there WAS a Bond theme in the movie - that's important to all (okay 99%) of the die hard Bond fans. Hmm. Food for thought, that.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 1,817
    JamesPage don't usually participates in discussions, but when he does it's better to take him seriously.
    In my opinion, Newman's score was good for SF. The question is, would his style would fit in Bond 24?
    JamesPage wrote:
    JamesPage wrote:

He will be back. Mendes will obviously want to work with him again and it seems like the producers really want to keep Mendes happy. Which is great, Newman made an amazing score, the Oscar nomination was well deserved.

The Oscar nomination surely made the producers forget all about that. ;)
    Then why didn't Marvin Hamlisch return after TSWLM if an Oscar for the score was so important?

No offense @Pistoles, but @SirHenryLeeChaChing speaks for me as an older fan on this musical matter.
  • The Oscar nomination surely made the producers forget all about that. ;)
    Hopefully Broccoli and Saltzmann never fired Barry, this guy that never got an oscar nom for a Bond score...

• SharkShark Banned
    And as far as you're concerned, I don't need to dream to feel superior :)

That's nice. Pat yourself on the back.
    We'll see if Newman comes back...

That's a certainty for several reasons.

1. With the exception of the low-budget AWAY WE GO he's worked with Mendes on all of his pictures.

2. The SKYFALL soundtrack album was the highest charting Bond album in 27 years

3. Newman won a BAFTA.

• SharkShark Banned
    edited July 2013 Posts: 348
    JamesPage wrote:

Behind the scenes relations with the Broccolis were amicable, as Newman's said in interviews. They asked for the song to be featured in the score at least once, and that's what he gave them after a late revision of "Komodo Dragon". Next time around he'll probably integrate theme more after that experience.

BTW, if you're talking about the Norman/Barry Bond theme, then you're dead wrong. It's the most extensive usage of that theme since Arnold's Brosnan-era scores.
  • SharkShark Banned
    bondsum wrote:
    Then why didn't Marvin Hamlisch return after TSWLM if an Oscar for the score was so important?

John Barry Prendergast.
    JamesPage wrote:
    JamesPage wrote:

I'm going to call bullshit on this one I'm afraid.

Newman has often spoken of his respect for the bond theme, but his aim was always to never overuse it and instead play a few bars when it was earned.

Take it from the man himself: http://www.filmmusicmag.com/?p=10217
    Great. Another three year wait. I'll be 30 when the next Bond adventure hits the screens, 31 when the dvd comes out, 33/34 when Bond 25 will be released.

Thinking like this makes me realize how fast time flies. Oh, well. Can't do nothing about that.
  • SharkShark Banned
    You should hear again CR. And QOS. Brosnan's Bond was techno oriented, but Craig was not, hence the Arnold Craig scores have no such approach.

There's plenty of electronic loops, pads and sampling in Arnold's two Craig scores. Just as there are in Newman's SF. The different between the former and the later is that Newman followed Barry's minimalist approach by streamlining the score - less is more. Unnecessary counterlines and modulations are abandoned, and the focus is on clarity, not obfuscating by piling on layers to create a wall of sound. Just to hear the difference between Arnold's ADHD approach to action and Newman's leaner style - compare Target Terminated from QOS or Miami International from CR to The Bloody Shot from SF.

• CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    'PLAY IT AGAIN SAM' - some thoughts on what Mendes might do next for the Bond franchise....

http://markoconnell.co.uk/?p=775
  • SharkShark Banned
    Just clocked a typo there, Mark. 'Baron Saied' instead of 'Baron Samedi.'
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 2,015
    Shark wrote:
    Behind the scenes relations with the Broccolis were amicable, as Newman's said in interviews.
    You should not be so naive, in particular when in the same time you keep on insulting others in various threads for being short-sighted.

Please point me to any interview of the producers talking about Newman or the score during or after the release of Skyfall :) They did talk about Adele, yes, but Newman ? With the Oscar nomination of the score, they had lots of opportunity to talk about it. Did they use a single one ?

Shark wrote:
    The SKYFALL soundtrack album was the highest charting Bond album in 27 years
    That doesn't mean so much in 2012 when the once-coveted album chart has been increasingly devalued by poor sales in recent times. Even Rihanna reached No.1 last year while shifting less than 10,000 CDs and downloads in the UK. Sales have been declining steadily for a decade or so. In fact Skyfall's soundtrack appeared to peak at 100 on the US Billboard 200 where the sales were recorded at 5,000 copies sold according to Nielsen SoundScan - which hardly deserves the big headline it's been given. I'd like to know the total copies sold between David Arnold's scores against Tom Newman's before we start claiming it's worthy of that acclaim.
  • SharkShark Banned
    Please point me to any interview of the producers talking about Newman or the score during or after the release of Skyfall :) They did talk about Adele, yes, but Newman ? With the Oscar nomination of the score, they had lots of opportunity to talk about it.

Switch the SKYFALL BR/DVD commentary on and you'll find plenty of gushing over Newman, Gassner, Deakins and other behind-the-scenes men who she didn't praise during interviews and press junkets.

Adele is a global phenomenon and part of our pop zeitgeist - of course she's going to get more mention than production designers, editors, DPs, composers and stunt coordinators.

Re: bondsum. Fair enough.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 136
    JamesPage wrote:
    JamesPage wrote:

I hadn't heard this story/rumour. Interesting

I'd prefer a different composer to be honest. Not a big Newman fan although his SF score has grown on me.

That said, still can't see Mendes not using him again (plus the fact, he bagged awards etc)....of course whether EON want to pay his wages is another matter!
    @SirHenryLeeChaChing Very well said (about Newman and the Oscars).

@JamesPage Now that is interesting, thanks. I wonder what @Gustav_Graves and the rest of the big Newman supporters will have to say about that?
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 2,015
    Wow, there are some people who actually believe what is said in DVD commentaries ! The most ironic ones I came across is the love story between Peter Jackson and New Line in the DVD commentaries, released during their very public legal war :)
    Many seems to consider the Oscar nomination a big deal for Newman. The fact the Skyfall team acted as if it did not happen should then surprise you. Adele's nomination was not underplayed at all...
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España

I hadn't heard this story/rumour. Interesting

I'd prefer a different composer to be honest. Not a big Newman fan although his SF score has grown on me.

That said, still can't see Mendes not using him again (plus the fact, he bagged awards etc)....of course whether EON want to pay his wages is another matter!
    If @JamesPage writes it, then it is NOT a rumour...

#BringBackArnold
    ;) :D
  • SharkShark Banned
    ggl007 wrote:
    If @JamesPage writes it, then it is NOT a rumour...
    @JamesPage Now that is interesting, thanks.
    0013 wrote:
    JamesPage don't usually participates in discussions, but when he does it's better to take him seriously.
    bondbat007 wrote:
    If you say so @JamesPage, I believe you.

138627_v1.jpg

James Page...Sudha Page...Jamespagesudhapage
    James Page...Sudha Page...Jamespagesudhapage

;)
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 1,965
    Newman is most likely going to return and I hope he does. SF was a great score and it really didnt have any type of techno in it. Sam Mendas gets whatever he wants from the producers. If he wants Newman back then he gets him back (unless Newman doesnt want to do it himself), If he wants to shoot in Alaska they will let him, if he wants a scene in the movie where Bond pulls down his pants and moons M then the producers will let Sam have that scene. Thats how much pull Sam Mendes is getting
    fjdinardo wrote:
    Sam Mendas gets whatever he wants from the producers. If he wants Newman back then he gets him back (unless Newman doesnt want to do it himself), If he wants to shoot in Alaska they will let him, if he wants a scene in the movie where Bond moons M then the producers will let Sam have that scene. Thats how much pull Sam Mendes is getting

So many reasons to be afraid of these days!
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    edited July 2013 Posts: 871
    Risico007 wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    Newman's score was mediocre at best imo and a huge dissapointment for me as one I was expecting something new and exciting with a change of composer but all Newman's score managed to do was make me wish Arnold composed the movie instead, especially as Arnold's last 2 efforts at least are superior to the SF score. Some people say that Arnold creates Nd implements a generic Bond sound, which I disagree with but even if that we're the case, I'd rather here a generic Bond sound than a generic movie score any day.

Took the words right out of my pocket. (To quote Licence To Kill)

I agree 110%

+1

• So with Mendes back, does that mean we might get Kevin Spacey as the villain??

I remember Spacey said he would love to play a Bond villain and I think I heard Mendes offered him a role in Skyfall but he had to turn it down due to theater commitments. Kevin Spacey could be THE cool retro creepy iconic Bond villain.
    So with Mendes back, does that mean we might get Kevin Spacey as the villain??

I remember Spacey said he would love to play a Bond villain and I think I heard Mendes offered him a role in Skyfall but he had to turn it down due to theater commitments. Kevin Spacey could be THE cool retro creepy iconic Bond villain.

He's perfectly creepy in House of Cards. Can definitely see him as a future Bond villain - maybe as a Zorin-esque character?
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited July 2013 Posts: 1,257
    So with Mendes back, does that mean we might get Kevin Spacey as the villain??

500full.jpg

But seriously, I'd LOVE to see Spacey as a villain. He'd be great as the head or higher up of a antagonistic organization.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I will probably be the only one on this forum who does not want Spacey, but I really don't. I just don't like him. But, if he is in it, and the rest of the film is great, and he dies a great villainous death, then I can live with that. But I'd rather have a different actor.