Bond 24 - 23rd Oct/US 6th Nov 2015 - Sam Mendes Back As Director

Comments

• edited July 2013 Posts: 388
    While I'm glad we at least have a date to look forward to, this is disappointing news. I'm a traditionalist and want a film every 2 years, and feel they could still do this if they wanted to. The key word here is "if", it's clear they don't want to continue yet another tradition Bond fans have always expected. As far as I'm concerned, no director is worth this amount of ass kissing.
    Germanlady wrote:
    I think, there is going more and more thought into Bond now and doing it every 2 years will get harder and harder. Of course, if Sam had committed right away, we would have our 14 release. But this is part of what I am saying. Seems more problematic to get it all under one hat fast.

I don't think the 2015 release has anything to do with Mendes' availability / commitment. Both Wilson and Broccoli strongly implied that a 3 year gap between films was the preferred option, even when Mendes was apparently out of the picture.

A longer gap between entries is in line with almost every other comparable film series. A regular 2 year cycle simply isn't the done thing in modern big-budget cinema, and hasn't been since the late 70s. What's more, every Bond director since that time has complained that the two year release schedule is harmful. Longer gaps between films are the future.
  • Excellent news......
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Just noticed that you can access 007.com using this new URL: http://007.foxfilm.com
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Creasy47 wrote:
    ggl007 wrote:
    I think 2015 will be the last Bond-Craig...

Four, just like PB

He's confirmed for 'Bond 24' and 'Bond 25,' so no.
    Eeerr, I read Bond 24, no news about Bond 25 and Craig is getting old...
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    Great to see Mendes confirmed!

I'll be 27 when it comes out though... @-)

/elderness anxiety
    Amazed by all the Arnold separation anxiety in this thread.

:-j
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @DiscoVolante, and I'll be 25. Man, how time flies by. I was just on the 007 site and realized the last time I was on it was when SF's first trailer came out. Feels like just yesterday.
    Great news! I woke up this morning thinking that we were long overdue some news and then this happens. Lovely.

Nice to see I was right about the 2015 release date, I sure hope Mendes can do a 'Martin Campbell' and pull off a double.
    Great news! I woke up this morning thinking that we were long overdue some news and then this happens. Lovely.

Nice to see I was right about the 2015 release date, I sure hope Mendes can do a 'Martin Campbell' and pull off a double.

I still say they bring back Campbell if he's up for it for the next actor's debut Bond film. But, by then, Campbell will be about 80 years old.
  • While I'm glad we at least have a date to look forward to, this is disappointing news. I'm a traditionalist and want a film every 2 years, and feel they could still do this if they wanted to. The key word here is "if", it's clear they don't want to continue yet another tradition Bond fans have always expected. As far as I'm concerned, no director is worth this amount of ass kissing.
    Germanlady wrote:
    I think, there is going more and more thought into Bond now and doing it every 2 years will get harder and harder. Of course, if Sam had committed right away, we would have our 14 release. But this is part of what I am saying. Seems more problematic to get it all under one hat fast.

I don't think the 2015 release has anything to do with Mendes' availability / commitment. Both Wilson and Broccoli strongly implied that a 3 year gap between films was the preferred option, even when Mendes was apparently out of the picture.

A longer gap between entries is in line with almost every other comparable film series. A regular 2 year cycle simply isn't the done thing in modern big-budget cinema, and hasn't been since the late 70s. What's more, every Bond director since that time has complained that the two year release schedule is harmful. Longer gaps between films are the future.

Not saying that they didn't say they preferred 3 years, but I find it a little too coincidental that this is how it's turned out. I think they suddenly discovered 2 years to be too soon after they let QOS get away from them, and apparently they were just fine 1995-1999 for this schedule, so the late 70's really is irrelevant and I also think it's more a case of a brother and sister who don't have the energy they used to have. I had hoped that starting scripts and production ideas well in advance would solve director concerns, but I guess I was wrong. Just my 2 cents.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2013 Posts: 13,350
    That doesn't mean the work in advance for two films will not pay off for the film afterwards. It could all still be worth it. If we got just two films in six years, then yeah, a lot of work for nothing. Until that time, I do think they know what they're doing.
    Not saying that they didn't say they preferred 3 years, but I find it a little too coincidental that this is how it's turned out. I think they suddenly discovered 2 years to be too soon after they let QOS get away from them, and apparently they were just fine 1995-1999 for this schedule, so the late 70's really is irrelevant and I also think it's more a case of a brother and sister who don't have the energy they used to have. I had hoped that starting scripts and production ideas well in advance would solve director concerns, but I guess I was wrong. Just my 2 cents.

Absolutely. Didn't mean to imply that Eon have wanted to run on a two-year cycle since the late 70s (only that the late 70s seems to be the point when that sort of big budget filmmaking went out of fashion in Hollywood.) Broccoli gave an interview to an LA paper in which she said that Eon had been pressured into delivering the films too quickly in the past and that they have finally decided not to allow that to happen (I'm paraphrasing) and Wilson gave an interview around the time of SF's release in which he said Bond 24 would be delivered 'in two years if we hurry, in three years if we don't' (again, I'm paraphrasing slightly), so putting the two together in addition to the publicised comments from the MGM report, I figured that 2015 was the preferred date.

I agree with you that QOS was probably the turning point. Rebooting Bond was such a bold move and it paid off so handsomely with CR, it must have been crushing to see the follow-up receive lukewarm reviews and a lower BO (especially as Eon and MGM must have looked at how successfully The Dark Knight built upon the spadework done by Batman Begins.)

Would be wonderful to have the films more frequently but I don't think it's going to happen so I've taken the philosophical view to accept it and embrace the positives.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 203
    great news! i can't wait to see sam pick up from where he left off. i am sure he had a great concept for the next film when he ended skyfall the way he did (coming full circle so to speak). sam should be re-energized and ready to go by the end of 2014. recent blockbusters who had sequals within two years have been less than stellar in terms of quality, e.g. Iron Man 2. Fast and Furious don't count since they crap to begin with ...
    @mnhettia, I loved 'Fast Five' and 'Fast & Furious 6' or whatever title you want to give the latter film. It's just a matter of opinion.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Heard this on the radio at work at 6 p.m. Good news. 2015 it is then!
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @mnhettia, I loved 'Fast Five' and 'Fast & Furious 6' or whatever title you want to give the latter film. It's just a matter of opinion.

I agree that they're enjoyable and, unusually for a long-running series, the quality of the films seems to be improving. But they're not really comparable with Bond (in terms of release cycle) as they're firmly positioned as modern B Movies. Same with the big horror franchises like Saw etc.
    @Sir_James_Moloney, I agree that they aren't truly comparable. I like what they're doing with the latter in terms of changing up the big picture.
    Dragonpol wrote:

What else was said? Was everyone excited for the next film? It seems unusual to hear this news of a release date on the radio.
    This is good news all around! True, it would have been nice to have something next year as many of you have mentioned, particularly to take advantage of Craig's age. However, overall, this should make for a better film, which in the end is really what we all want. The elements are lined up indeed.
  • tqbtqb
    Hopefully Mendes will try to make a different movie than Skyfall. I don't want to feel like i'm watching a continuation of it.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

What else was said? Was everyone excited for the next film? It seems unusual to hear this news of a release date on the radio.

Yes, I was just finished my shift. I scrawled on the back of my newspaper: "Craig 4 October 2015 New JB". That was the gist of all that was said. It was on Heart, a London radio station, though I don't live in England. I saw no-one else's reaction. I doubt they ever listen to the radio as I do.
    Thanks. Did the presenters on the radio sound pleased?
    I cannot say that I am thrilled about Mendes, but it would mean that DA is dismissed as composer for the next 007 outing. Lets hope Newman brings his A game this time.

It looks like 2015 is going to be a year of great interesting blockbusters.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 299
    tqb wrote:
    Hopefully Mendes will try to make a different movie than Skyfall. I don't want to feel like i'm watching a continuation of it.

I think he will. He strikes me as too intelligent a filmmaker to want to get caught in a derivative scenario. I think he's well aware of what he's up against.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Thanks. Did the presenters on the radio sound pleased?

No, it was said quite dispassionately by a female newsreader, not one of the presenters. It just caught me a bit unawares so it was kind of nearly over by the time that I heard it.
  • I'm pleased with this news. Pleased on many levels.

Sam Mendes was great. But there were a few things I didn't like about Skyfall. I didn't personally care for all the backstory about Bond's character (I don't think Bond needs backstory), but I fear that that's what Mendes and Logan loved (and to be fair, a lot of the regular film-going public too) so predict more of that.

I didn't like the bits of it where it became too much like a generic action film (mostly the blowing up of Skyfall scene), and I thought Thomas Newman was a great composer, an interesting choice, who then mostly wrote a fairly formulaic modern action film score (a bit like Arnold).

However, I think that Mendes being new to the genre, and Newman having to convince people he could do this film, probably relied on the formula a little bit, and I'm really hopeful that now they're returning, having made the most successful Bond film ever, they will be prepared (and the backers will be prepared to let them) take a few more risks, be edgier, be more themselves. So I think all of that is good.

Obviously I'm excited to see a new adventure, to see Ralph Fiennes etc fit into their roles, although I'm still not quite convinced John Logan - great writer though he is - is completely au fait with what makes Bond tick. I wouldn't mind seeing a Purvis/Wade re-write at some stage... they know him pretty well by now.

All deeply exciting.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited July 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Very glad indeed about this news! Mendes on board - I think that means Newman, and I am fine with that. I liked his Skyfall score although I think it could be improved upon, yes. Hopefully even better with Bond 24. And, please of please let it be confirmed that Roger Deakins is back! He is my new idol. ^:)^
    Skyfall had some of the most beautiful, truly stunning shots. I so want him back. That is the news I'll be waiting for most next.

I do think they will make a film that is NOT a copy of Skyfall; Mendes is too independent and talented and smart to do that. I'm sure he is well aware of many sequels that have failed. I am hoping that the story line through Bond 25 will be awesome and fulfilling for us lifelong fans. And I hope Quantum is back in a devious, well written plot.

So Mendes, Deakins, and the script - crucial. Another great villain and a great Bond girl and we'll have an outstanding Bond film again. Step by step ...
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 6,601
    Despite being a bit disappointed (of course) I have a good feeling about this.
    Wy do we have 2 threads? This should be locked really.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Not sure why we have 2 threads; the new one is just on Mendes really. The other is production thread for the whole film and different news should go there (casting, location, everything else). I want to keep the production thread if we have to choose.
    This thread is about the release date, big enough for it's own topic I would think. Best to just not comment in the other one until some other news comes along.