Bond 24 - 23rd Oct/US 6th Nov 2015 - Sam Mendes Back As Director

BenBen
edited July 2013 in News Posts: 121
The official Twitter post:
#Bond24 out UK 23rd Oct/US 6th Nov 2015. Daniel Craig is 007, Sam Mendes back as director, screenplay by John Logan
BO56OmYCIAImld0.jpg:large

From the website:
BOND-007Com-Bond24-650px1.jpg
Producers Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli, EON Productions; Gary Barber, Chairman & CEO, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer; Michael Lynton, CEO, Sony Entertainment, Inc, and Amy Pascal, Co-Chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment today announced that Daniel Craig will once again return as the legendary British secret agent in the 24th James Bond film and Sam Mendes will also return to direct the screenplay written by John Logan. The film is set for release in the UK on October 23, 2015 and in the US on November 6, 2015.

SKYFALL the 23rd James Bond film, took in $1.1 billion worldwide and set a new mark as the highest-grossing film of all time in the UK; it was the best-selling Bond film on DVD/Blu-ray and was the most critically acclaimed film in the history of the longest-running film franchise.

Commenting on the announcement, Wilson and Broccoli said, “Following the extraordinary success of SKYFALL, we’re really excited to be working once again with Daniel Craig, Sam Mendes and John Logan.”

“I am very pleased that by giving me the time I need to honour all my theatre commitments, the producers have made it possible for me to direct Bond 24. I very much look forward to taking up the reins again, and to working with Daniel Craig, Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli for a second time,” said Mendes.

Barber added, “We are thrilled to reunite the extraordinary talents of director Sam Mendes with our star Daniel Craig for the next great Bond adventure.” He added, “As evidenced by the phenomenal success of our last collaboration with EON Productions and Sony, the incredible legacy of this 51-year-old franchise continues to amaze.”

Pascal and Lynton said, “It’s a privilege to work on the Bond films. EON, John Logan and Sam Mendes have come up with an extraordinary follow up to SKYFALL and we, along with our partners at MGM, can’t wait to share this new chapter with audiences all over the world.”

http://www.007.com/bond-24-news-2/

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Announced at 5pm on the dot. It was all planned of course. Thanks @Ben.

It's great news this to finally have that date, yeah it's three years but all we can do now is hope 2017 is the release date for the next one.

I hope filming starts sooner than November, the bigger head start the better.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2013 Posts: 40,371
    At least we have a date now. Real shame that we won't have it next year, though.

But, I'm very happy that Mendes is returning and I'm looking forward to the combined work everyone will have waiting for us come 2015!
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Excellent. That means (hopefully) another Newman score.

Bring on 2015!
    Released in the US on the same day as Ant-Man. You would think they would have gone for the 13th, the only weekend in November where there is no film.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Released in the US on the same day as Ant-Man. You would think they would have gone for the 13th, the only weekend in November where there is no film.

Dates could always change, though. It's possible 'Ant-Man' will move or something else might alter things.
  • RikRik Southend
    Excellent news!!
  • BenBen
    @Creasy47 I'd prefer to wait a year for a better movie than a year earlier for a worse one. As @Samuel001 said, we can hope for Bond 25 in 2017 as hopefully Mendes isn't busy after this Bond.
    @Ben, while 'Bond 24' coming out in November doesn't guarantee a 'worse film,' you are right in that the more time they have to work on it now that a guaranteed release date has been confirmed, the better.

I'll have myself a cigarette now to celebrate.
  • Really happy to have Sam Mendes back at the helm, just disappointed that we have to wait until late 2015 to see it! I'm certain that the wait will be worth it though. Great to have you back on board Mr Mendes :)
    Really happy to have Sam Mendes back at the helm, just disappointed that we have to wait until late 2015 to see it! I'm certain that the wait will be worth it though. Great to have you back on board Mr Mendes :)

Before you know it, though, we'll get more information released before the end of the year, then 2014 will arrive and things will really start to get churning.
    No dount Logan is, or will be, at work on Bond 25 soon, so this should strengthen the hope for a 2017 release date next time, with Mendes once again I would guess. This is why the earlier this one is filmed, means good things for the next. Two films released in five years isn't bad going.

The first time a director has returned in over 20 years too.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Shame it's not coming out in 2014 but it's great to have a proper announcement at last, and Mendes is coming back! :D
    Ben wrote:
    “I am very pleased that by giving me the time I need to honour all my theatre commitments, the producers have made it possible for me to direct Bond 24

This doesn't mean they pushed the release date back to suit Mendes better does it? Ah well, what's done is done I suppose, although I think it's a shame if true.
    It also gives them time for the script, so it's a two way street I think. It helps both parties.
    @Samuel001, that kind of spacing doesn't bother me.

@thelivingroyale, that's what I was going to ask. I assume they did decide to wait for Mendes, hence the date.

What I really am holding out for now is Deakins' return. That would be more than phenomenal.
    So they got their wish and so did Sam. Lets hope, its worth it in the end. I do believe, had Sam agreed earlier and been free, we had a 14 announcement some time ago.

At the end of the day, its good to have the news out and we can start looking forward to 2015 ;)

It most likely means, too, that we have most of the old team back, including Deakins.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited July 2013 Posts: 1,261
    Great to have the date and some informations as well. Although it means one more year to wait, hopefully we will get another excellent Bond movie. Glad to hear that Mendes is back to helm the movie. Maybe then we will have a chance for Roger Deakins to return as well? This would be excellent news...
  • Great news. Autumn 2015 was pretty much always going to be the release date and very happy that Mendes is returning. Let's hope that Deakins returns too.
  • RikRik Southend
    Some quick maths done and it's 836 Days until the release of Bond 24! :D
    Germanlady wrote:
    So they got their wish and so did Sam. Lets hope, its worth it in the end. I do believe, had Sam agreed earlier and been free, we had a 14 announcement some time ago.

At the end of the day, its good to have the news out and we can start looking forward to 2015 ;)

It most likely means, too, that we have most of the old team back, including Deakins.

The silver lining is that it probably gave Logan more time to work out the premise.
    Great news. Autumn 2015 was pretty much always going to be the release date and very happy that Mendes is returning. Let's hope that Deakins returns too.

I'm impatient, so 2015 was something I really didn't want but had a big feeling we would get. Overall, I don't mind. If it makes for more time and a possibly better product, I'm in. Hell, it's Bond, I'm always in.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 96
    Great news! Sure is nice to have a set date. I never had much hope for 2014 anyway.

And of course they waited for Mendes. I really don't see the big deal about that. He just delivered the most successful, most celebrated Bond movie ever - doesn't that earn him a bit of respect? Besides, it's only one extra year after all, which isn't much in the movie biz.
    What does going for the 6th and not 13th mean? Why go for that date when there is no film the following week?
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    I think 2015 will be the last Bond-Craig...

Four, just like PB
    ggl007 wrote:
    I think 2015 will be the last Bond-Craig...

Four, just like PB

He's confirmed for 'Bond 24' and 'Bond 25,' so no.

@Samuel001, I'm not sure. I'm curious, as well.
    Good to know it's not just me.

Have we ever had a director announced two and a half years in advance? I don't think so. A good trivia question, there.
    Samuel001 wrote:

Have we ever had a director announced two and a half years in advance? I don't think so. A good trivia question, there.

Come to think of it, I don't think we have. Goes to show how bad they really wanted Mendes.
    the Date does upset me of course and Mendes makes me nervous rewatching Skyfall a week ago It was ok not amazing but not bad either BUT everyone on here has said Mendes returning doesn't mean Skyfall 2 electric bugaloo but rather Mendes will do things completely different so I am willing to be excited about this. crossing my fingers for a fleming title though
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Come to think of it, I don't think we have. Goes to show how bad they really wanted Mendes.

And the amount of forward planning that is being done. Things look better for Bond 25 this way.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited July 2013 Posts: 28,694
    This is excellent news! If you would have told me that Mendes would turn down helming Bond 24, wait a few months, re-join talks and sign on again, I would have slapped you in the face and called you mad. I can't wait to see what the next story will be about, and what a completely Logan and Mendes-devised script will read like for Bond. My only hope now is that we can also get Roger Deakins back!!!
    edited July 2013 Posts: 40,371
    @Samuel001, absolutely. I think we were just getting to a point where the schedule was getting so tight-knit that it was better to give it another year, and the more time, the better. Giving every part of the production another year to plan and breathe should be nice.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, same. I really, really hope Deakins returns. I will instantly turn into a giddy schoolgirl (which I think I said a while back) if he is confirmed.