Man of Steel (2013)

Comments

• edited June 2013 Posts: 2,782
    Don't worry its just fanboys annoyed they don't have a hot lois or indeed Reeve back. This a new superman, otherwise what's the point?

People are complaining about a lack of fun...but that's just Reeve's great work. This is a real world man of steel for today. Can someone please tell me does he need to go to the loo?

http://www.blastr.com/2013-6-14/rare-disease-could-explain-why-no-one-recognizes-clark-superman
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I would have expected some here to be a bit more open minded given that we're all Bond fans here and that there are a huge chunk of movies in the series that are mediocre or just terrible and yet not only have you seen and own them all but I'm sure we all enjoy at least one Bond film that was either adversely or Luke-warmly received that we thoroughly enjoy it in some cases may rank as the best or is in our top whatever. Honestly, see the movie and judge for yourselves. Do or don't.
    Saw the midnight showing. Now keep in mind that I actually really enjoy Superman Returns for what it is. I really enjoyed MOS but some of the action was a bit much. But it's definitely the start of a great franchise
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 1,107
    I saw it last night and I thought it was pretty good. All the performances are great. Clark does get alot of development and is very relatable. The dialogue was good for the most part and the action scenes were the best I've seen since The Avengers. The first 20 minutes were amazing.

It's not perfect, though. While the action is intense and well-executed, it does get to a point where less could have been more. The pacing is a bit off the wall in the first hour and outside of Clark, none of the other characters develop.

However, it is the best Superman movie in a long time and I hope that a sequel does better and DC finally gets their cinematic universe going.

Also, the very last scene was near perfection.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 4,813
    Just got back from seeing it with a large group- LOVED IT!!!!
    I want to go see it again!!
    Dalton12 wrote:
    bondbat007 wrote:
    I find it odd that we have yet to see "Clark Kent" or at least the Daily Planet version of him. I wonder what they'll be bringing to that
    I hope he would be working for Daily Planet.
    I do have a feeling there won't be a lot of 'Clark Kent, Reporter' in this movie, but he is absolutely without a doubt in it, at least a little.
    In the Comic Con trailer you clearly see him go into an elevator and pull glasses out of his pants pocket. I wouldn't be too surprised if that's from near the end of the movie, the more I think about it
    Just a hunch I have: the majority of the movie will revolve around the public's reaction to Superman (do we trust him?) and once the movie's nearly over and the dust clears, Clark will become an employee at the Daily Planet as 'mild mannered' Clark. It only makes sense, since as you said they've barely shown Kent and the Daily Planet
    Holy crap I was totally right!!

The climax of Zack Snyder's Man Of Steel seems to have rubbed some fans up the wrong way, comics writer Mark Waid among them. Obviously only read on if you've seen the movie already, or don't mind MAJOR SPOILERS..
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=81579#GBbQI8DOjYcA2cpu.99
    The ending didn't bother me and neither did Superman's "choice" Mostly because the character's reaction was so pure it made the moment work.

Also this film gets bonus points to me because one of the final scenes takes place in Chicago's Union Station, where I go almost every day so that was a big thrill for me
    Wow, Waid really needs to lighten up. His immediate reaction was quite childish. And I share the same sentiments @bondbat007.
    Rotten Tomato Representative Shocked At MAN OF STEEL Ratings & Calls MOS A Good Movie!
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/TheMightyMight/news/?a=81596#C3xFJ92tvllD8jhY.99

David S. Goyer On MAN OF STEEL 2, Lex Luthor, Clark's Disguise & More
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=81612#1ktOGxRvKDq1XYQQ.99
    It's only a film....really only a film...the ending has set up two nicely with his 'promise'...a bit too much action for me but one did get one's money's worth...so thumbs up. And it was not pants...
    One of the best and funny lines of the movie

"I trained all my life. Where did you train, on a farm"!?
  • doubleoego wrote:
    One of the best and funny lines of the movie

"I trained all my life. Where did you train, on a farm"!?

Did u see the Wayne industries logo?
    I didn't but I heard about it being in a satellite or something
    doubleoego wrote:
    I didn't but I heard about it being in a satellite or something

Yes the Wayne Enterprises logo is on a satellite that Zod destroys.
    Did you guess the Bloodmorel reference? And did you see the Mort Weisienger tribute that was classy from the production team?
    Box Office Report: Friday returns show 'Man of Steel' Soaring to $125 Million-Plus Debut. Based on early Friday returns, Man of Steel took in $21 million as it began rolling out Thursday night, a combination of $12 million from special screenings hosted by retail giant Walmart and $9 million from midnight runs. Man of Steel should earn $45 million to $46 million on Friday, including the $9 million in midnight earnings (the $12 million will be folded into the weekend gross).

Overseas, Man of Steel is opening day-and-date in 24 markets, landing first in the Philippines and Taiwan on Wednesday, where it earned $1.7 million and $794,742, respectively. It was the largest opening day ever in the Philippines and the largest Warners opening in Taiwan.

Among other major markets, it opens in the U.K. and Mexico on Friday. The following weekend, the tentpole opens in 26 additional markets, including China, France, Germany, Italy, Russia and Spain.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-report-friday-returns-569256
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 2,015
    doubleoego wrote:
    Wow, Waid really needs to lighten up. His immediate reaction was quite childish.

That's because he's a creator. He sees someone (Zack Snyder) taking someone's else creation and changing its nature (according to Waid). When Zack Snyder creates a movie without using someone's else creation (sole example : Sucker Punch), he has results that are quite different when he's using someone else's creation (300, Watchmen, Man of Steel, Ga'hoole, Dawn of Dead). So until Zack Snyder has proven he can create something, he'll considered by creators a bit like DJ are considered by musicians : utter contempt behind the scene, big smile in public as long as the DJ help them earning money...

I mean, at least Sam Raimi invented Evil Dead before going mainstream. If he did something really weird in Spiderman, he would have had much more credit trying to do something different, etc.

• See this is the sort of stuff I want to know...now does he pooh?
    Okay, this is inevitable. But if you compare 'Man Of Steel' with 'Batman Begins'. What movie is the better reboot?
    doubleoego wrote:
    Wow, Waid really needs to lighten up. His immediate reaction was quite childish.

That's because he's a creator. He sees someone (Zack Snyder) taking someone's else creation and changing its nature (according to Waid). When Zack Snyder creates a movie without using someone's else creation (sole example : Sucker Punch), he has results that are quite different when he's using someone else's creation (300, Watchmen, Man of Steel, Ga'hoole, Dawn of Dead). So until Zack Snyder has proven he can create something, he'll considered by creators a bit like DJ are considered by musicians : utter contempt behind the scene, big smile in public as long as the DJ help them earning money...

I mean, at least Sam Raimi invented Evil Dead before going mainstream. If he did something really weird in Spiderman, he would have had much more credit trying to do something different, etc.

It's a movie. Different medium entirely from the comics and as a comic book nut myself, I've had my fair share of being outraged by some of the liberties taken in some comic book movies but when a grown ass man acts childish and stands up in the middle of a film and has to be coaxed by his gf to sit back down there's a problem. I'm 28 and I was largely appalled by the first spider-man film because of the route they took with the characters and the story. I was a teenager when that came out and at 28 now, there are some things one just has to accept as artistic licensing or whatever but that doesn't stop the movie from being good or enjoyable. If there's any person that should be up in arms about changes it's Stan Lee but guess what he's a legend, a man of significance and understands the idea of interpretations. Waid understandably upset just decided to act childish and moronic and fuelled the stereotype of angry fanboy behaviour. Don't make excuses for the guy.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Good film, I liked it a lot. Didn't love it but my God, Superman is back and this could really be the start of something. The box office is truely something and if it holds, maybe $1 billion is in the bag.
    Henry Cavill talks to Muscle & Fitness about MAN OF STEEL
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/KingLeonidas/news/?a=81634#MuGkGkTYEdoy3RXw.99
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 2,015
    doubleoego wrote:
    I was a teenager when that came out and at 28 now, there are some things one just has to accept as artistic licensing or whatever but that doesn't stop the movie from being good or enjoyable.

We're talking about a guy who is actually making Superman's stories, including a reboot of Superman by DC which, it seems, has been used as an inspiration for some parts of this movie. I think that makes his opinion quite interesting actually. I dare say his behaviour show the passion for the character, while I'd call Zack Snyder a director-for-hire.

BOX OFFICE: MAN OF STEEL Takes Flight With An Incredible $56 Million Opening
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=81637#MKhYvR2TXhtgKzi2.99
    doubleoego wrote:
    I was a teenager when that came out and at 28 now, there are some things one just has to accept as artistic licensing or whatever but that doesn't stop the movie from being good or enjoyable.

We're talking about a guy who is actually making Superman's stories, including a reboot of Superman by DC which, it seems, has been used as an inspiration for some parts of this movie. I think that makes his opinion quite interesting actually. I dare say his behaviour show the passion for the character, while I'd call Zack Snyder a director-for-hire.

Makes no difference. Waid didn't create the character. He's just one of many contributors to the superman mythology and the film clearly took elements and ideas from multiple sources from the source material as a whole. The guy should have handled his dissapointment better IMO.
    BOX OFFICE: Zack Snyder's MAN OF STEEL Set To Be The #1 Movie Worldwide With $200 Million
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=81650#2hm1K4AmArWExMdj.99
  • Just got back, not bad. This had the potential to be a truly great film, but a couple of questionable creative decisions really made the film suffer. I actually fell asleep during a point in the finale, and whenever you have action that drags on for so long people are yawning and dozing off, it's a sign you're not doing something right. Good performances across the board, I felt that Cavill did a very good job considering he wasn't given a whole lot of dialogue to work with, but one thing that ended up hurting the film was the decision to tell much of the story
    in flashback. Had they followed a more linear story and actually allow the audience to see Clark develop and build his relationship with Jonathan Kent, the "big moments" would've held a lot more weight, but there seemed to be a lack of buildup to the moments like Jonathan Kent's death, or Clark wearing the suit for the first time (which were well done, I must say.) The final 45 minutes were complete overkill and took me out of the film entirely, but the final scene was phenomenal.

"Welcome to the Planet, Clark"
    7/10