Man of Steel (2013)

Comments

MAN OF STEEL Cast And Crew On Superman '78
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=80983#MI3IyKzFS6PL4J7y.99
    another new trailer .

75th anniversary this month too :D
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 1,661
    Walmart trailer:

I'm sure it will look amazing in HD up on the big cinema screen, though, but it does have a bit of a video game feel about it all. This is the one thing about computer effects - if you cram scenes with so much CGI you start to notice it. It's the 'Star Wars Prequels' syndrome. :P
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 1,107
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 1,107
    The cast of the new movie are on Graham Norton this friday night peeps! :-bd
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    RogueAgent wrote:

Thanks for this @RogueAgent, I'll be sure to tune in this week.

I'll listen to the score soon too. Not long to go now until we find out what the critics think.
    Cant wait till Thursday to see this movie :D
    Henry Cavil is all set to become the next 007? His physique and features are quite perfect to play Bond
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Cavil will never be Bond. Fact. You can't be in the role of a super iconic character like superman and then expect to inhabit the role of Bond, where the actor has to be significantly indentified with such a role. Besides, Cavil is the new Napoleon Solo anyway in another spy franchise.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 1,661
    I'm not sure Henry Cavil is a good enough actor to play James Bond - and yep, I'm fully aware good old George Lazenby wasn't even an actor when he got the part. It's interesting to note Mr Cavill hasn't had any acting jobs since shooting MOS and that finished filming in late 2011 or early 2012. That suggests he's not such an in-demand actor (based on his ability). But more to the point, there are some reviews of MOS suggesting he isn't that good an actor:

IMDB review:

"The Dialogue: Was rather poor! Unfortunately, many of the lines written for each character (especially the Kryptonian characters) come off as rather cheesy and "comic booky". I know it's a comic book movie but come on...that doesn't mean you have to make the characters sound like cartoon characters! The only thing that saves it is the quality of the acting, particularly by Russel Crowe and Lawrence Fishburn (who largely makes up for poor dialogue with excellent delivery). I was not impressed with the delivery on many of Henry Cavill's (Superman's) lines. And I can't tell how good of an "actor" he is because he really didn't have to do much acting in this movie. This Superman has relatively little to say throughout the film in comparison with past Supermen. Only as "Clark Kent" (Smallville Clark, not Metropolis Clark) does he really have to say much. As Superman, he spends most of his time flying, fighting and using different facial expressions, grunts and screams to express his emotions."

The Casting: Initially I was not impressed with their choice of actors for Lois Lane OR Superman. I still don't know what to make of Henry Cavill. I am already biased against him because he's British, just like every other "American" Superhero is today (Batman, Spiderman, etc). And although he "looks" the part (and does a good job selling it in the action sequences), he really doesn't do much "acting". He does a lot of pensive looking "thinking" and "reflecting" in the movie, but he spends a lot more time projecting laser beams out of his eyes than he does projecting any kind of "emotion" (cliched "rage screams" notwithstanding). "

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0770828/board/thread/215653050

I've seen him in Immortals (2011) and there was nothing to suggest he has the charm, smoothness or even gruff bluntness (that Craig's Bond possesses). I think the jury is still way, way out of whether or not Mr Cavill has got enough acting 'Bond traits' to do the role justice. It's possible he may make a much better Napoleon Solo than James Bond, and who knows, perhaps fate has intervened and it's meant to be he never becomes 007.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Thanks for this @RogueAgent, I'll be sure to tune in this week.

I'll listen to the score soon too. Not long to go now until we find out what the critics think.

Your welcome Samuel, no doubt there will be some strong blokey humour from Crowe and Cavill!
    Dalton12 wrote:

Are you sure that is not the soundtrack from the 5th Pirates of the Caribean??

What a poor excuse for a soundtrack.

• edited June 2013 Posts: 9,730
    Man of Steel 2 and Justice League CONFIRMED
    http://moviehole.net/201365272snyder-goyer-a-lock-for-man-of-steel-2

now if the Batman Reboot be confirmed with the Reaper as the Villain we are all set
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/superman_man_of_steel

We're off and the reviews seem on par with Superman Returns.
    From what I've read so far critics are finding much to be praised, but if only there had been more humor in the story line. It seems to be averaging 4 out of 5 stars. Even Empire have given it 4, The Telegraph 3 out of 5.

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?FID=137126
    edited June 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Yeah, lots of 3 and 4 out of 5's. A seven out of ten film, then and below Superman Returns! Some reviews I see, don't think much of Cavill.

I'd hate to think this Summer has been a wash out for films. Right now, World War Z is doing very well when compared to everything else. Who would have thought that a few months ago?
    Indeed @Sam, but I'm not sure whether I should take any notice of the critics on this particular movie. As far as I'm concerned they don't always get it right when reviewing escapist blockbuster fare. Empire has given it a 4/5 so it can't be all that bad, and their reviews are the ones I tend to align myself with.... well, apart from Skyfall and the new Trek movie that is. I take no notice of the Tomatometer to be honest as half of the reviews come via websites I've never heard of or care for. It will have to be a real stinker to be below Superman Returns.
    I agree about the Tomatometer but I think it gives a good rough guide of what to expect. The advantage this film has on Superman Returns, is it's starting something up not attempting to continue on. That has got to work in Man Of Steel's favour even if it isn't as good, as a film.

As for what the word of mouth is like, we'll have to see. Two belly-flops would be quite remarkable. I can picture it now: Superman - The Man Who Can't Fly and all that'll go with it.

Still, chin up, I'm sure this will be good... :)

RT says: Superman's return to the big screen is mostly successful, as Man of Steel provides enough exhilarating action and spectacle to overcome its occasional detours into generic blockbuster territory
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Yeah, lots of 3 and 4 out of 5's. A seven out of ten film, then and below Superman Returns! Some reviews I see, don't think much of Cavill.

I'd hate to think this Summer has been a wash out for films. Right now, World War Z is doing very well when compared to everything else. Who would have thought that a few months ago?

WWZ was never going to suck completely. The fact that Paramount were willing to throw more money at it after it finished filming with extensive reshoots was a sign of that. The Bourne Identity had similar problems, after viewing Doug Liman's cut of the film they went back and essentially retooled the entire movie with reshoots. And look how well that turned out.

I think people wanted WWZ to suck and I'm happy that it doesn't and the critics haven't condemned the movie. MoS's reaction is quite surprising, it seems that a humourless 'realistic' take on Superman is not everyone's cup of tea.

I’m not surprised that no one has really singled out Cavill for praise. When Bond and Batman both rebooted a large amount of praise was given to both Craig and Bale for their portrayals. But in MoS’s case it looks like no one is rushing forward to congratulate Cavill too readily. I always had my reservations about the guy, in the trailers and just in interviews he seemed bland, dry and lacking in charisma. Just another pretty boy ala R-Pattz -he doesn’t really strike me as an actor of great discernible skill. Cavill is the male equivalent of the plethora of pretty female actresses who descend Hollywood blockbusters only to be forgotten once their looks fade and the next pretty girl can take their place. Cavill is another Jesse Metcalfe etc type of actor.
    I'm actually ecstatic to hear that there is very little humor in the movie. It really ruins many action movies nowadays. Most superhero movies are guilty of this, but it happens in other action movies too. Look at Raiders of the Lost Ark vs Kingdom of the Crystal Skull; KOTCS looks like a kiddie movie by comparison!
    I can't wait to see Man of Steel!
    The reviews are coming in and they're a bit mixed. Some say Cavill is charisma/charm free, some mention lack of humour, too serious, too dark etc.

I think Superman is a bit cheesy. Perhaps the 1970s/1980s Christopher Reeve/Richard Donner version is how Superman is meant to be. If MOS were done like that I'm sure most people would laugh and say "this is so cheesy and silly compared to the recent Batman Nolan trilogy."

I guess it would be like Daniel Craig's next Bond film being his version of Eon's 1979 Moonraker. The same style, the same goofy action scenes. It wouldn't work. Be quite funny to see Daniel Craig's Bond fighting Jaws, though.

This film isn't what we hoped for, so here's the big question: what will the public think? Such a shame but I still can't wait to see it myself.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Samuel001 wrote:
    This film isn't what we hoped for, so here's the big question: what will the public think? Such a shame but I still can't wait to see it myself.

What? We? Speak for yourself, mate. I don't listen to reviews, especially from critics who get paid for criticizing a film. I like to make up my own mind on something, and don't follow the word of mouth being spread about something.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 4,813
    +1
    I'll be there Friday as soon as I'm out of work! The worst thing I've heard is that 'Superman is too serious'. Well, Superman is serious when lives are in danger!! He's not Spider-Man!
  • I’m not surprised that no one has really singled out Cavill for praise. When Bond and Batman both rebooted a large amount of praise was given to both Craig and Bale for their portrayals. But in MoS’s case it looks like no one is rushing forward to congratulate Cavill too readily.

That's not true at all. Many of the reviews I've read have praised Cavill. There are many more, but here's an example...

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2013/06/11/man-of-steel-review/

Cavill impresses as both man and Superman, outsider and god – he’s as handsome as a comic strip panel but brings something darker, more troubled at the edges.

http://www.planitnorthwest.com/articles/2013/06/11/02e2357053ed4c55a6c86f04cbab94ef/index.xml#.UbkBjqZBpCO

The shame of it is that Henry Cavill, the latest actor to squeeze into the blue and red costume, is winningly disarming the few times he is allowed to behave like the Superman we all know. Cavill is quietly heroic in a noisy monster of a movie. He deserves a chance to play Superman with a better script and another director. Sadly, Goyer and Snyder already are booked for the sequel.

http://www.nowtoronto.com/movies/story.cfm?content=192957

Henry Cavill does a fine job as Superman, projecting a quiet confidence and awareness that echo Christopher Reeve’s performance without being beholden to it. It’s a measure of Cavill’s intelligence that you can feel him resisting Goyer and Snyder’s most egregious errors of judgment as Man Of Steel shakes itself apart.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2013/06/12/man-of-steel-review/2367021/

British actor Henry Cavill is a terrific Kal-El/Clark Kent/Superman, subtly playing emotional moments and persuasively conveying pangs of self-doubt. He just as nimbly rises to the occasion of soaring heroism. Christopher Reeve would be proud.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/movies/movie-dvd-reviews/movie-review-man-of-steel-1948921

Routh's version of Supes may well be a bit of a damp squib but with Cavill in the central role we've found someone who can embody the character without being a Christopher Reeve-a-like. Muscular and solid but with a moral-compass

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-man-of-steel-20130613,0,3049104.story

Henry Cavill soars over an erratic plot... "Man of Steel" is well-cast (courtesy of Lora Kennedy and Kristy Carlson) starting at the top with Cavill. He's a superb choice for someone who needs to convincingly convey innate modesty, occasional confusion and eventual strength.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/movies/2013/06/12/a_steely_superman_who_shines_brightly_for_the_future_man_of_steel_review.html

The good news is the casting is impeccable, beginning with Cavill as an uncommonly brooding but refreshingly deep Superman.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/man-steel-review-superman-saves-day-spacey-detour-article-1.1368996#ixzz2W37rjvoK

The subdued look is refreshing, though, and the casting is perfect. Cavill walks a tricky line, winding up with the right amount of earnestness. Like Christian Bale’s Batman, Cavill’s Britishness (you can’t tell behind a fake American accent) gives him an Otherness. And like Christopher Reeve, Cavill wears the suit, not vice-versa.

http://entertainment.time.com/2013/06/12/man-of-steel-super-man-or-human-god/

Cavill was a finalist to play James Bond and the 2006 Superman. He finally got a franchise, and it was worth the wait. Conforming to the superhero template of the preposterously muscled hunk, the Englishman also brings to the role exactly the right haunted, stricken but resolute air of someone searching for a grand mystery inside him.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/man-of-steel/25950/man-of-steel-review#ixzz2W3DWRhfU

And whilst Man Of Steel is a very, very noisy film in several respects, Cavill's calmness is both welcome and impressive. This film's more about him as Superman, and being an alien on Earth, than Clark Kent, but Cavill comes across as a man who fully wears the responsibility of the role. His work is about restraint and holding back for good chunks of the film, but there's enough here to suggest that his casting was a very smart move.

http://www.villagevoice.com/2013-06-05/film/man-of-steel-superman-movie-review/

There’s almost a story here. And the actors, including the picture’s quietly dazzling star, Henry Cavill, do their damnedest to draw it out

Samuel001 wrote:

What? We? Speak for yourself, mate. I don't listen to reviews, especially from critics who get paid for criticizing a film. I like to make up my own mind on something, and don't follow the word of mouth being spread about something.

Fair enough but you can't deny reviews are often almost always right and this film's slightly mixed reception must tell you something. I too will make up my own mind at the weekend but it seems Snyder has worked his all-action, little-story magic again.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Fair enough but you can't deny reviews are often almost always right and this film's slightly mixed reception must tell you something. I too will make up my own mind at the weekend but it seems Snyder has worked his all-action, little-story magic again.
    Reviews are certainly not "almost always right"; I have no idea why you feel that is the case. The only critic I care to listen to is Dr. Kermode, because he isn't trying to be pretentious or controversial for the sake of it like many in his field can be. He judges films by what they try to be and if they are successful in it, and actually has passion for film. I don't even like to call him a critic, as he is more like a film fan commenting on cinema in general, like Ebert was. He is a rarity these days for sure.

My point is, at the end of the day the only person's view I care about is mine, and couldn't care less what a bunch of "critics" have to say.