Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

No, 4D isn't a particularly pleasant viewing experience.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Ummm, guys, take a look at this:

• edited May 2013 Posts: 562
    That's incredibly well done! Grant Imahara as Sulu is awesome. Haha
    Agent005 wrote:
    That's incredibly well done! Grant Imahara as Sulu is awesome. Haha
    Yeah, and did you catch Jamie Bamber (New BSG) as the 'red shirt' on the hull that got wasted? Too funny.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Wow that was actually pretty good! I saw some New Voyages/Phase II fan episodes recently and just cringed most of the time. Though I felt like Grant Imahara was trying too hard to do a good George Takei impression and it took me out of for a little bit. But other than that, this was the best Star Trek fan episode I've seen. :)
    Murdock wrote:
    I felt like Grant Imahara was trying too hard to do a good George Takei impression
    I though he was great. I thought the whole thing was great! The story was really well though out IMO.
    COOL ending too!
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    I felt like Grant Imahara was trying too hard to do a good George Takei impression
    I though he was great. I thought the whole thing was great! The story was really well though out IMO.
    COOL ending too!

It was the best Star Trek fan episode out there so I'm not upset. ;)
    Murdock wrote:
    It was the best Star Trek fan episode out there so I'm not upset. ;)
    I'm still reeling! I already downloaded it in case it disappears or something!
    :))
    I wish I could make my own fan episode. Even if it is a one off.
    931239_527065627331393_1169749734_n.jpg
    I'm ready to battle some Klingons, Romulans and Genetically enhanced supermen from the 1990's! ;)
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 1,310
    Alright, I'm about to begin a Star Trek marathon over the next couple days. After seeing the 2009 version and Into Darkness, I have become very interested in seeing the older films. (I have only seen Wrath of Khan, and that was at 2AM one day....needless to say, I'm going to give it a re-watch.)

I have never seen any of the original films (except Khan) and plan on going from "The Motion Picture" all the way to "Nemesis."

What I ask you all: Is there anything I should know before embarking this adventure?
    ST into the darkness arrived at Belgian cinemas last night, and the movie was really enjoyable. With its previous installment I believe that ST is back too stay, I only hope that the next movie will not be 4 years away.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    SJK91 wrote:
    What I ask you all: Is there anything I should know before embarking this adventure?
    It does help to have seen a few of the episodes of both The Original Series and The Next Generation before you watch the movies but it's not absolutely necessary to do so. There are some characters and themes that you would have a better understanding of. At the very least you could check out Space Seed from TOS to see Khan's first appearance and The Best of Both Worlds from TNG to understand Picard's situation with the Borg. I'm not sure if you've seen any of these episodes or not.

For a long time a lot of people liked to say that the even numbered movies were great and the odd numbered ones sucked. That was until Nemesis came out. It's true that many of the even numbered ones are better but not all of the odd numbered ones are bad. Don't take my word for it though. Form your own opinion. Anyway, I think it's great that you're doing it. Have fun!
    pachazo wrote:
    SJK91 wrote:
    It does help to have seen a few of the episodes of both The Original Series and The Next Generation before you watch the movies but it's not absolutely necessary to do so. There are some characters and themes that you would have a better understanding of. At the very least you could check out Space Seed from TOS to see Khan's first appearance and The Best of Both Worlds from TNG to understand Picard's situation with the Borg. I'm not sure if you've seen any of these episodes or not.

For a long time a lot of people liked to say that the even numbered movies were great and the odd numbered ones sucked. That was until Nemesis came out. It's true that many of the even numbered ones are better but not all of the odd numbered ones are bad. Don't take my word for it though. Form your own opinion. Anyway, I think it's great that you're doing it. Have fun!
    The advice is much appreciated! I have never seen any of the TOS or TNG episodes, so I'll be hunting those down before I begin my Trek.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 2,341
    In regard to TNG there were some episodes that were worthy of being feature films. I know that the series finale, "All Good Things" and "The Best of Both Worlds" are light years ahead of Nemises, Insurrection, and Generations.
    I always wondered why we never got to see LTCmdr Sheelby again. She was such a strong and endearing (and attractive) character. Would have been great to see her as First Officer of some other Star Ship.
    SJK91 wrote:
    The advice is much appreciated! I have never seen any of the TOS or TNG episodes, so I'll be hunting those down before I begin my Trek.
    You're welcome. Be sure to post back here and tell us what you thought of them!

OHMSS69 wrote:
    In regard to TNG there were some episodes that were worthy of being feature films. I know that the series finale, "All Good Things" and "The Best of Both Worlds" are light years ahead of Nemises, Insurrection, and Generations.
    I always wondered why we never got to see LTCmdr Sheelby again. She was such a strong and endearing (and attractive) character. Would have been great to see her as First Officer of some other Star Ship.

Agreed on both counts. It's a shame and quite possibly the biggest let down in the history of Trek that most of the TNG movies never reached the heights of greatness that the T.V. show did.

As for Commander Shelby I am also surprised that they never brought her back. There were many other recurring characters on the show. They made such a big deal out of her and then we never got to see her again.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    pachazo wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:

Agreed on both counts. It's a shame and quite possibly the biggest let down in the history of Trek that most of the TNG movies never reached the heights of greatness that the T.V. show did.

As for Commander Shelby I am also surprised that they never brought her back. There were many other recurring characters on the show. They made such a big deal out of her and then we never got to see her again.

Shelby got her own book series, I believe, or at least got a starring role in a book series.
    Alright, so I've just viewed "Space Seed" from TOS, and I found it to be a very well written episode. Khan was certainly a great villain, and I could see why they brought him back for his own film. I have never actually viewed a single episode of Star Trek (any of the series) in my life so it was certainly an interesting experience! Soon, I'll be tackling "The Motion Picture"!
  • I haven't seen going dark blah blah....is it worth going and spending 15 quid?
    I haven't seen going dark blah blah....is it worth going and spending 15 quid?

Yes.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

Why are you asking us about a movie that doesn't come out until next year?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2431494/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
  • I haven't seen going dark blah blah....is it worth going and spending 15 quid?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2431494/?ref_=fn_al

http:/%2

not to be confused with this film, i was referring to to the new Star Trek movie in to Darkness dear esteemed community member.

I'm not fan of the JJ star trek reboot universe and they are just churning out old characters from the correct star trek universe.

I do love the new Bones, he's ace. the rest i can take or leave.

thank you for your advice learned community members. may the grace of the new sun warm your gentle faces as long as god gives us his grace to do so.

bless you all.

not to be confused with this film, i was referring to to the new Star Trek movie in to Darkness dear esteemed community member.

I'm not fan of the JJ star trek reboot universe and they are just churning out old characters from the correct star trek universe.

thank you for your advice learned community members. may the grace of the new sun warm your gentle faces as long as god gives us his grace to do so.

bless you all.

http:/%2

bless you all.

I know you didn't mean that film, just making a joke. I read your post, went to IMDB and typed in "Going Dark", assuming that there'd already been a movie with that title. Didn't expect that it wasn't out yet, nor had any real information.

Oh, and you quintuple posted.
  • quintuple posted? Wow must be a record. Had an issue with my server I must pressed the submit button a few times and the error log must have cleaned up and posted and posted and posted and posted etc.

Sorry chaps.

• edited June 2013 Posts: 1,310
    Beginning my first trek into the films of Star Trek....I commence with....

220px-Star_Trek_I.jpg
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture (The Director's Edition)

I'll just get this one out of the way - yes, Star Trek: The Motion Picture has some SERIOUS pacing issues. It is far too long, and likely could have been cut by at least 20 minutes.

However...

I was surprised by how intellectual the film is. I found the plot with V'ger quite fascinating - so much so that it almost made up for the lack of forward action in the story. Because pacing aside, TMP's strongest trait is its plot. It takes a while for things to get moving during the entire course of the film, but when they are moving, the film is can actually be fairly strong. I read that the director, Robert Wise, wanted this film to be the "spiritual successor" to 2001: A Space Odyssey. While TMP is obviously not as good as A Space Odyssey, I can appreciate the 2001 influence TMP has. And indeed, Star Trek: The Motion Picture does capture some of the tones of the Kubrick classic.

Some people scoff at the fact that TMP is pretty much a reunion film, but (with the exception of the 3 hour long introduction of the Enterprise) I thought the re-introductions of the characters were done well enough. I can already tell that Dr. "Bones" McCoy is going to be a favorite of mine. Then there is (in)famous Captain Kirk. William Shatner is an acquired taste, that is for sure. But his screen presence is fantastic, and I thought Shatner whips up a very respectable performance.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with Star Trek: The Motion Picture. The excessive length can be incredibly tedious and should not be overlooked, but I found it to be the film's only significant flaw. (Albeit it is a fairly large one.) If you stick with the film and push your attention span to its limits, TMP contains a very interesting story.

Oh, and I almost forgot: Jerry Goldsmith's score is a big reason why some of the overly long special effects shots didn't bore me (as much as it would have). Goldsmith's score is both haunting and elegant, and it makes for one hell of a soundtrack. Certainly one of the best sci-fi scores I've ever heard.

Footnote: I understand that the Director's Edition of this film is better than the original theatrical version. I am almost unsure if I even want to watch the theatrical version now, as I did mostly enjoy this director's cut.

1. Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Director's Edition) (1979) - 7/10

Up next....

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Director's Edition)
    SJK91 wrote:
    Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with Star Trek: The Motion Picture. It's excessive length is incredibly tedious and should not be overlooked, but I found that if I stuck with it, there is an interesting story to be unearthed.
    I think that this paragraph sums it up nicely. Great review! I guess I'm in the minority because I actually like this movie even though I acknowledge that it is flawed. The pacing is a struggle at times, as so many have pointed out, but I don't think that enough people give credit to what the movie does right. Personally, I'd rather have a Star Trek movie be a little on the boring side as long as the story is interesting instead of some big dumb action movie that makes little to no sense.

Which leads me to STID. While most people were watching Man of Steel this weekend I finally saw the new J.J. Trek adventure. Since I'm so late sharing my thoughts on this I'm not sure if a spoiler is required but just so I don't upset anyone I guess I'll include one.
    I'd like to begin by saying that I do like ST 2009. It has some issues but overall I thoroughly enjoyed it. So I'm not an Abrams basher. I think that he is a good director and he certainly knows how to make a big budget action adventure movie.

However, I was extremely disappointed by Into Darkness. In fact I can't remember the last time I was so upset with a movie. Perhaps some of it is my own fault. The Wrath of Khan is not only my favorite Star Trek movie but one of my favorite movies of all time. So I admit that I am certainly going to be more critical of this than the average cinema goer.

Benedict Cumberbatch is a fine actor but he is not Khan. Let's just forget the fact that it's a little strange to have a white British guy in the role. This villain was so generic that he could have been anyone. I didn't see any of Khan's personality here. Also, when did Khan turn into Superman? He was genetically enhanced and was stronger and smarter than the average man but here is shown to be almost invincible. In the original TOS episode Kirk beats Khan in a fight at the end. Now Kirk can punch him a million times and Khan doesn't feel a thing.

It was a huge mistake to rip off the death scene from TWOK. I'll admit that it was a clever twist to switch who died but it didn't have even a tenth of the impact of the original scene. In the TWOK Kirk and Spock are much older and have had a very long friendship. Also the whole movie had a theme dealing with aging and death. The sacrifice at the end beautifully ties this in with the no win scenario brought up at the beginning of the movie. Kirk's sacrifice in Into Darkness goes against his character's unwillingness to believe in a no win scenario.

The special effects were amazing but there was too much pointless action. I was bored during the big fight scene between Spock and Khan at the end. Why did Spock have to face him alone by the way? Wouldn't it have been smarter to bring a whole team of people to take him down? This Spock is way too illogical. He bursts into emotion whenever the script calls for it.

Super Khan also has magic blood. Granted, one could argue that the way they brought Spock back to life in Star Trek III was far fetched. Anytime that you bring someone back from the dead it's going to be silly. It just seemed to take the impact away from Kirk's sacrifice that he was brought back so quickly. Perhaps they shouldn't have killed him off in the first place then.

There are many other points I could make but I'm not going to nit pick this to death. I liked the actors. Indeed they all gave fine performances but this franchise seriously needs some new writers. I hope that J.J. is too busy with Star Wars to do the next one.
    Good review, @pachazo. You echo my sentiments exactly on ST2. From what I've read on the net ST3 will be directed by someone different and they're currently drawing up a list of potential suitors.