Sam Mendes to direct Bond 24?

Comments

• AgentJM7 wrote:
    Whatever the choice, I think Deakins' cinematography will do B24 wonders. There were several moments in Skyfall where I had goosebumps simply by how amazing it all looked.

Has Deakins confirmed for Bond 24 or are you just hoping he has? (If he has confirmed that would strongly suggest a director has already been found)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    He's not confirmed, sadly.
    Just noticing, the news this week has slowly gone from 'Nolan in informal talks' to multiple places claiming he is 'expected to take over for Mendes'. Dafuq
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2013 Posts: 13,350
    I love the internet.
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    He's not confirmed, sadly.

Ah, shame. A DP on board would have to mean that a director was confirmed and Deakins only seems to work with the best (and Nolan must be looking for a new DP now...) Skyfall was the most beautiful Bond film since YOLT / OHMSS.
  • Bond 24 will most probably be digital again (unless Nolan ? :) ). Since that somehow levels DP skills "a bit" (everyone can watch the "true" image on the visual feedback at any time during the shoot, you don't have to have the skill to know what the shot will look like on the film), we can expect the next ones to be nicer and nicer (as with many other blockbusters). There's 3D, omnipresent CGI, and HFR though in the mix now :)
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    @AgentJM7, you and I both, in terms of the cinematography. It was absolutely amazing. Even if you hated Bond and the films he accompanies, it would be hard to deny that the film has some truly impressive shots in it.

Make that three. I still can't believe the Academy chose tons of CGI to Deakins' magnificent work. Shanghai and Macao were so beautifully filmed that I didn't care that the principal actors didn't shoot there. Deakins deserved the award far more than Pi, no question about it.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @SirHenryLeeChaChing, exactly what I thought. Even my friend turned towards me during the Oscars and said "Wasn't 'Life of Pi' just full of CGI?"
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 3,494
    Other than finally recognizing a Bond film for more than one award and paying a wee bit of long deserved homage to the franchise, giving Pi the award was yet another damn disgrace perpetrated by the Academy on a yearly basis. Ample reason why I skip that dog and pony show every year.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 2,015
    Have you seen Life of Pi ? The tiger CGI feast is not 100% of the movie. The first half or so of the movie has not much CGI tiger, it's indeed "very beautiful shots" of Pondichery and so on.

Then we've got this scene with all the candle lights floating on the lake while the boat floats amongst them. Then we've got the island scenes (but done in studio obviously, the island itself being CG). Then we've got animals that are 100% CGI only, ok. And the comment track talking about CGI on almost every shot. But SF, eh..., Life of Pi I meant, is not 100% CGI though :)

PS : "The Artist" was nominated at the BAFTA for best sound while it's almost 100% mute ;) (ie : almost the score only).

Not sure who stated 'Life of Pi' is 100% CGI, but alright.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Have you seen Life of Pi ? The tiger CGI feast is not 100% of the movie. The first half or so of the movie has not much CGI tiger, it's indeed "very beautiful shots" of Pondichery and so on.

Then we've got this scene with all the candle lights floating on the lake while the boat floats amongst them. Then we've got the island scenes (but done in studio obviously, the island itself being CG). Then we've got animals that are 100% CGI only, ok. And the comment track talking about CGI on almost every shot. But SF, eh..., Life of Pi I meant, is not 100% CGI though :)

PS : "The Artist" was nominated at the BAFTA for best sound while it's almost 100% mute ;) (ie : almost the score only).

I still don't agree that it was the right decision though. Life of Pi was almost completely shot in a studio environment so it was a lot easier for its look to be manipulated and altered in post-production. Deakins was shooting on location, and most of his lighting was achieved on set and in camera apart from the standard colour grading changes that happen in post. He worked a helluva lot harder in my book.

• Life of Pi was almost completely shot in a studio environment

Have you seen the film ?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/gallery/2012/dec/20/life-of-pi-on-location-pondicherry#/
    @Suivez_ce_parachute, it still doesn't negate the fact that the film had quite a lot of CGI thrown into it. Deakins losing the Oscar was a real upset.
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    @Suivez_ce_parachute, it still doesn't negate the fact that the film had quite a lot of CGI thrown into it. Deakins losing the Oscar was a real upset.

I think Deakins now holds the record for most times nominated for an Oscar without a win, doesn't he?
    I just did a quick search, @Sir_James_Moloney, and sound re-recording mixer Kevin O'Connell has twenty nominations and zero wins.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 3,494
    Creasy47 wrote:

Exactly. Now the Academy rewards a geek sitting behind a computer creating imagery over someone creating cinematic beauty with their eyes and senses. And I'm not trying to negate that talent of the fellow who won the award, but if computers are going to replace the sheer awesomeness of Mother Nature in all her glory, this is a sad commentary. Excessive CGI does not equal proper cinematography.

Deakins was robbed!

@SirHenryLeeChaChing, exactly. Don't get me wrong, 'Life of Pi' looks very beautiful (I've yet to see the film). But, some of those shots that Deakins concocted are beyond words and beauty, and to have him lose over computer generated graphics is astounding.

Deakins won in my mind. Some of the greatest cinematography I've had the pleasure of witnessing.
    Please can you confirm that all of you who say the Oscar for DP was a joke have not yet seen Life of Pi ? :) No one answered my direct question except Creasy who confirmed he had not seen it indeed. Others claiming it's just about CGI and studio shot certainly have not seen it to say this.

Prepare to spend half of the movie wondering "I thought it was a movie about a tiger in a boat ?" :) I've even met French persons who did not know Depardieu played in it !

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Please can you confirm that all of you who say the Oscar for DP was a joke have not yet seen Life of Pi ? :) No one answered my direct question except Creasy who confirmed he had not seen it indeed. Prepare to spend half of the movie wondering "I thought it was a movie about a tiger in a boat ?" :)

I have seen it, I think Deakins deserved it instead L-)
    And I remember when it was released a lot of people talking about going see it at the theater.
    Just for those who will never see it anyway, let's say the Oscar probably had something to do with things like this. If it had been at the final hour of the movie instead of the first hour, would the voters have seen it as much and vote because of it, we'll never know though :)

368339vlcsnap2013052311h52m18s171.png

597017vlcsnap2013052311h57m04s224.png

703613vlcsnap2013052311h59m35s216.png

Yes they're a lot of CGI in the first hour too (like in the last image probably), but really, in SF too...
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Just thinking the percentage of CGI in Pi was much higher, from what I have read (no, I have not seen it yet). Way higher.
    I've had a big hankering to watch SF lately, so maybe I'll watch it one night this week, then rent 'Life of Pi' and do a comparison. I will admit, some of those posted shots are quite lovely, but we shall see. I just don't see anything being able to trump what Deakins did with SF last year.
    Just thinking the percentage of CGI in Pi was much higher, from what I have read (no, I have not seen it yet). Way higher.
    Because once you're on the boat with the tiger, yes, what is on screen was 99-100% shot on studio and with a CGI animal that everyone wrote about. But the first hour or so is a "classic movie" with very beautiful shots indeed with true DP skill, not just "some software tweaking" (but there is some heavy CG there too in this first hour - the Paris location is studio+ heavy CGI for instance).

Let's face it, here the biggest problem with Life Of Pi best Cinematography award is that it beat Skyfall. Because the "too much CGI to win best Cinematography" controversy is much, much, more relevant with Avatar IMO !

• edited May 2013 Posts: 388
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I just did a quick search, @Sir_James_Moloney, and sound re-recording mixer Kevin O'Connell has twenty nominations and zero wins.

Poor guy! He must not bother even turning up at the ceremony anymore.
    @Sir_James_Moloney, indeed. I wouldn't blame him. Twenty times and luck hasn't struck you once? Such a shame. Though when I did a quick look through what he was nominated for - though some of those projects were excellent - he was up against films that were heavily praised and loved during the time.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:

Poor guy! He must not bother even turning up at the ceremony anymore.

What? Stuff the awards, it is about the art, and about you doing something you love. Without the passion what good are some golden statues?
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 13
    http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/sam-mendes-back-in-the-picture-to-direct-next-james-bond-film/

I think that this is a suitable first post. ;-)

...New thread?
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 13
    I mean...crazy, right?? ;-)

Ange Lee and Michael G wilson joking about here back in January this year. I hope Lee gets it.