Sam Mendes to direct Bond 24?

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Bond doesn't share, Bond conquers /:)

Now more seriously, the thing is right now we have no idea what backstage work has been done already. It could be a lot, it could be very little. Didn't we get some news a few months ago about someone who usually scouts for location being spotted somewhere? I can't for the life of me remember the details but I seem to recall something like that.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2013 Posts: 13,350
    I don't remember that news but your main point stands and I was thinking the same: it's all guesswork. Until we get confirmation we really do not know what is actually going on.

June could be the month, for now, we wait.
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    Bam!

Sam Mendes back in talks with Bond producers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22700298
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @007inVT, you're a day late. That's what we've all been discussing, and that article even cites Deadline as the source.
    "Ang Lee, Christopher Nolan and Nicolas Winding Refn are among other leading directors rumoured to have been approached."

No to Ang Lee.

Refn? Interesting.

Needs to be British though, so Nolan please.

"It is understood, though, that the Bond team are prepared to postpone production on the next 007 feature until he is available."

Ughh.
    Sandy wrote:
    The good thing is Mendes is already familiar with everything that concerns making a Bond film (graduated with honours, I would add) and has obviously come up with ideas for the future while he was doing SF. He knows about Logan's drafts and I would go as far as saying he probably contributed to the original stories being developed. That means, in my opinion, pre-production could be shortened as in fact it started even before SF came out. Someone else stepping onto the director's chair at this point would have a lot of work to do, Mendes will just have to re-acquaint himself with the material. I wouldn't rule out a late 2014 release just now.

My saying. With him, the pre production time will be seriously shorter.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @007inVT, you're a day late. That's what we've all been discussing, and that article even cites Deadline as the source.

Wilco!

My natural habitat is the Literary 007 category so I'm always playing catch-up with the movie stuff :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    007InVT wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Wilco!

My natural habitat is the Literary 007 category so I'm always playing catch-up with the movie stuff :)

Apologies, then! Either way, at least you know now. What are your thoughts on Mendes' possible return?
    edited May 2013 Posts: 893
    @Creasy47

To be honest, although I liked Skyfall, I feel like it set the precedent to go more 'popcorn' again. If he helms another, after making $1b, I don't see that changing.

I would love to see Nolan direct or maybe someone like Kevin MacDonald: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0531817/?ref_=sr_1

He directed State of Play, One Day in September, Last King of Scotland. He's Scottish and high quality. He's got his feet wet before in thriller/action and his latest is 'Black Sea' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2261331/ with Jude Law "In order to make good with his former employers, a submarine captain takes a job with a shadowy backer to search the depths of the Black Sea for a sub that's rumored to be loaded with gold."
    If the gaps are longer between movies now? Then i reckon 5 is about the most you will get out of each actor when it comes to the movies. Personally i hope they appoint a director so we get a movie next year and then have Mendes back for Bond 25.

All this nonsense that Mendes is the only one that can match the success of Skyfall box office wise is silly! Nothing is guarranteed! Overall i will just be glad to get something official soon!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    From Screenrant.com Mendes for 24 and 25?

http://screenrant.com/sam-mendes-james-bond-24-25-director/

Rumor Patrol: Sam Mendes to Direct James Bond 24 AND 25

by Sandy Schaefer

General speculation about who is going to direct the 24th James Bond movie – the next installment after the critically-acclaimed Skyfall (which commemorated the super-spy franchise’s 50th anniversary with a “present” in the form of a billion-dollar worldwide gross) – heated up this week, thanks to the release of a shortlist of A-list auteurs and Oscar-winning filmmakers who have (at some time in the recent months) been considered and/or approached to take the job.

However, the conversation (very) quickly shifted gear, thanks to the report that Skyfall director Sam Mendes – who previously announced that he will not direct the 24th Bond flick – has entered talks to helm the project. Those negotiations, by most accounts, are either on-course to result in a deal, or already complete and just awaiting the official confirmation from Eon Productions and Sony executives.

Today, we turn out attention to a NEW rumor – courtesy of Showbiz 411 – that says that Mendes is gearing up to direct both James Bond 24 (not the official title, obviously) and then the 25th on-screen adventure featuring 007, thereafter.

The Bond franchise producers are reported to be putting the final touches on a deal that ensures Daniel Craig will portray Mr. Bond at least two more times – with Skyfall co-screenwriter John Logan lined up to handle script duties for both films – so, it would be logical for them to go ahead and make sure Mendes is, likewise, set for the long haul (to keeping the winning team intact). While it would be a massive time commitment (upwards of 4-6 years), Mendes has indicated that he enjoyed the experience of making Skyfall enough to repeat it. (… Two more times?)

Mendes is expected to work on a couple of theatrical productions – while serving as an executive producer on the Penny Dreadful TV series that he and Logan are developing – before he turns his attention to the next Bond film.; however, after that, Mendes’ schedule is wide-open (meaning, Bond 25 can fill that available slot).

It’s certainly feasible that Mendes could end up joining John Glen, Lewis Gilbert, Guy Hamilton and Terence Young on the list of directors who’ve made 3 (or more) Bond features. Nonetheless, if that does happen, there’s little reason to think that the Bond producers and Mendes will attempt to release James Bond 24 and 25 one year apart (like what Universal is doing by releasing Fast & Furious 6 this year, followed by Fast & Furious 7 in 2014).

As for whether or not Mendes should helm the next two Bond movies: Skyfall, for our money, is an imperfect but still quite enjoyable 007 installment - with a more pronounced artistic flavor than usual – so having Mendes direct the followup doesn’t sound at all like a bad idea. Problem is, this iconic super-spy franchise – like the Mission: Impossible series – tends to benefit from bringing in new blood to keep the Bond formula from becoming too stale (or descending into self-parody); that won’t happen for a while if Mendes sticks around, for better or for worse.

_____

What do you think about the idea of Sam Mendes directing James Bond 24 AND James Bond 25? Let us know in the comments section; meanwhile, we’ll keep you updated on the situation as more information becomes available.

Source: Showbizz 411
  • Interesting to note that Showbizz 411 reports it as a rumour, "today, we turn out attention to a NEW rumor..." and don't claim any sources. I say just pure speculation (but hope it's true)
    Interesting to note that Showbizz 411 reports it as a rumour, "today, we turn out attention to a NEW rumor..." and don't claim any sources. I say just pure speculation (but hope it's true)

True, this is a most frustrating time; Skyfall is now in the past and no real news concerning the future. Here's some speculation on my part, if Mendes can be secured for 24 and 25 it would give Nolan his window of opportunity to come in for a re-boot with 26, more than likely with a new Bond.

I don't see how Mendes goes from "Naa, I am done for a longer period after this" to "Oh sure, I am doing 2 more".
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I hope he does Craig's last two. It would finish a good story arc.
    Interesting to note that Showbizz 411 reports it as a rumour, "today, we turn out attention to a NEW rumor..." and don't claim any sources. I say just pure speculation (but hope it's true)

It was from Roger Friedman, another guy on the ball:

http://www.showbiz411.com/2013/05/28/daniel-craig-persuades-skyfall-director-sam-mendes-to-return-for-more-bond

He was the one who re-confirmed Adele and gave us the lyrics to the song.

Anyway, more news from him. He now says Mendes is confirmed for Bond 24 and most likely Bond 25:

http://www.showbiz411.com/2013/05/29/confirmed-skyfall-director-sam-mendes-in-for-bond-24-and-likely-25
    Still - I am waiting for deadline for confirmation. Thanks Sam
    I am too. You'd think they and/or Baz will be up next.

Daniel Craig Persuades “Skyfall” Director Sam Mendes to Return for More Bond

05/28/13 7:15pmRoger Friedman0

He’s in, he’s out. That’s been the story with “Skyfall” director Sam Mendes about returning for more James Bond. Now I am told that Daniel Craig has persuaded Mendes to return for Bonds 24 and 25, each written by John Logan as a two parter. Mendes was denying this up to two weeks ago. Inquiries were made, and Mendes insisted that he wanted to stick with his theater schedule. Mike Fleming broke the story a little while ago that Mendes was being wooed back.

But I can tell you that it’s because of Craig, who wanted him to reproduce the “Skyfall” magic. Producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson have been in London trying to get the Mendes-Craig pieces put together. They want to get started on Bond 24 tout suite. The sooner, the better. The two movies together can soak up five years’ worth of work. And then even Craig will be done as James Bond.

When “Skyfall” went through the roof last year I told you Mendes would return. But between money– always it’s money– and his desire to be a big big power in London and New York theater, it was bleak. A rumor floated last week that Christopher Nolan would direct the next Bond, but that fell flat. It’s always been Mendes. “Skyfall” made $1.1 billion worldwide.

What else? Will Adele return? Maybe. But I’d think they have many others to wrangle for a Bond theme song. Some big stars like Sting and Elton John have never done one. And then there’s newcomers like Emeli Sande. So we shall see. And Dame Judi Dench? I wish they could un-kill her M.

Confirmed: “Skyfall” Director Sam Mendes In for Bond 24 and Likely 25

05/29/13 11:49pmRoger Friedman0

Well, I’ve got it as confirmed as it can be: Sam Mendes is the definite director of Bond 24 and most likely Bond 25. He’s in, after exhaustive negotiations. Mendes obviously got what he wanted and will be a rich, rich man when his time with James Bond is over. The director of “American Beauty” did want to keep his theater career alive and will, even with the long planning for the Bond movies. But “Skyfall” was too much of a hit to let him go, and really no one else compared to him. Mendes and Daniel Craig will see “Bond” through to the end.

As for Adele singing more theme songs, that is not at all done or arranged or even talked about, I am told. Adele has to get cracking on her new album first.

With the possible exception of “After Earth,” Sony and Amy Pascal are rocking with the Bond movies, “Zero Dark Thirty,” and a summer – fall 2013 slate including “White House Down” and the comedy “This is the End.”

Last night “After Earth” played for the press at 5pm and at a premiere at 7 (really 7:45pm) at the Ziegfeld. Bruce Willis showed up to support M. Night Shyamalan, who keeps getting to make big budget movies despite no feel for them whatsoever. I did get to meet Will Smith’s dad, who is a very nice, older gentleman, also named Will, lanky and tall like Will, with members of the extended Smith family from Philadelphia.

Roger Friedman

Roger Friedman began his Showbiz411 column in April 2009 after 10 years with Fox News. Friedman previously wrote the Intelligencer column at New York Magazine, He writes for Parade magazine and has written for Details, Vogue, the New York Times, Post, and Daily News and many other publications. He is the writer and co-producer of a film about R&B Music called “Only the Strong Survive,” which was released by Miramax in 2003 and was a selection of the Cannes, Sundance, and Telluride Film festivals
    sigh this news is kinda depressing... oh well maybe Bond 24 will be better then Skyfall I mean maybe they had to tell M's story and now we can just move back to Bond.
    Well it looks like Mendes is locked. IF he is locked in as definite, as Friedman says, then we should expect an announcement any day now.

But I think Mendes is committed to the project, but unofficially. Like how he was with SF a long time before being announce officially. I know, I know, the Mgm situation kept him from being signed on immediately as director but I still think a similar plan was going to be enacted for Bond 24.
    Maybe Monday will be the day?
    If too many sources come up with it, they won't wait till Monday. Its like everybody is stealing their thunder.
    You know what EON is like though, they do things when they're good and ready.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    If there's any truth in it (i for god hope that's the case) then i belive we get the offical statement tomorrow Friday suitable before the upcoming weekend or on Monday to fill the tabloids around the world for the upcoming week.

I pray this to be true, even though we see the same pattern again as before Skyfall was announced as a title and before Adele was confirmed as the singer. So to quote Wilson at the press conference for SF "The worst kept secret in London (if true of course)
  • any chance of updating the thread headline to "Sam Mendes might still direct Bond 24" Everytime I read it, I think that the latest news is that he has definately confirmed he won't be directing!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I just need a damn release date!!

I read the articles by Baz yesterday where he was actually confirming like it was set in stone Mendes is directing Bond 24. Great. SF was fantastic, could have been better but I think with Mummy M out if the picture, Bond can get back to doing done solid work. Give me Bond 24 in 2014, PLEASE!!!!!
    If it doesn't happen, are films in 2015 and 2017 alright with everyone?
    I suppose if it has to be case Samuel it has to be the case my prefence always was Craig for films in 14 16 and 18