Nudity in The Living Daylights

Comments

• edited November 2012 Posts: 3
    Also:
    look at the sudden cut from the guard (not as bad as the infamous "Poltergeist Cut" (if you catch my drift (and my 80's lingo)) to a cropped image of Virginia Hey,in all the released (VHS,DVD, Blu-ray) editions

Why isn't it even mentioned in the commentary tracks?

I know what I saw (twice!)
  • And I'm here to support Jarrod! \m/
    Thanks again harryfyhr! Yeah, when I saw this film I remember even talking about that particular scene with my brother and mom after the movie, just because we'd never scene nudity so blatant in a Bond film. Though I know why EON cut it out, I do think it should be put back in the film, just to make the film the complete uncut version. I really hate this type of retroactive censorship.
    I know I'm really late to the game here, but I was just doing a general web search on this subject and can't resist adding my 2 cents.

I seem to be older than most of you here, and while I didn't see the movie at the theater, I am *sure* I remember the scene including the full frontal shot (probably about 4 frames) when it first aired the next year on cable here in the US. (I've been digging to see if I can find out exactly where and when that was; I can't remember which cable network it was on, as I believe I subscribed to all of them at the time.)

I have seen it many times since, on recordings and on TV, and recall seeing the scene at one time or another in all the states mentioned here (with only the bodyguard reaction shot; with that, then the wide shot showing her side; and the reframed [just below the neck up] front of Hey followed by the BG shot; and with all three shots).

My curiosity was piqued just as Jarrod's was; why would they bother to edit this, and exactly when was it done? And what happened to the original version?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited May 2013 Posts: 9,117
    Jarrod wrote:
    Like I said, I only ever saw the scene once, but I could swear on a bible, that scene was edited.

I'm afraid the law is littered with cases of people who honestly swore on the bible and had what they truly believed to be the complete truth shown up to have never happened. Witness testimony is notoriously unreliable, particularly after 25 years. You may well be convinced of what you saw but with an absence of any corroborative evidence and only two suspiciously recent members who choose to use their first post to support you when the general consensus is you are mistaken, every judge in the land would direct the jury to acquit the film on the charge of having a full frontal topless scene.

A similar precedent occurred here a few years ago when every single member, myself included, thought that Dolly always wore braces but looking through every edition of MR we could find this proved to untrue. So sure were we of this that we came up with convoluted theories like they removed them with CGI or something but in the end the only logical explanation was that we were just plain wrong and we just had to accept the fact.

I would conclude that you have misremembered this and that the scene has always been what we have now. The moment where Bond throws her the neglige if you pause it shows the edge of her nipples (yes I've done it!). That moment blown up on the big screen and left to ferment in a febrile adolescent imagination and coupled with the side boob shot its easy to see how this memory has now become lodged in your head as fact.

The only possibility I would be prepared to entertain of you being right on this would be if you saw a preview as part of a test audience and they then went away and cut it before release. If it was a screening on general release then it makes no sense that they left it in just the Sacramento print and cut it for everyone else. It is much more logical to conclude you are mistaken than some sort of conspiracy has gone on, although if you are found dead tomorrow in suspicious circumstances for speaking out then perhaps there could be a nugget of truth in all this?
    I'm seriously amused by the Freudian explanations everyone seems to have concerning my memory. But I assure you I'm not mistaken. I'm not sold by your "misremembered" explanation, and you are free to not believe me. I'm merely pointing out what I saw on the opening day of the film. Take what you will from it. I posted this quite a while ago and am surprised that to this day random people have supported my memory on it. I find it a bit sad that I'd have to be found dead before you might consider this as any kind of truth, but so be it. The scene was cut. Just look at the scene, it is so very obvious. But all you naysayers are free to disagree, and it will still not change my memory on this.
    Jarrod wrote:
    I'm seriously amused by the Freudian explanations everyone seems to have concerning my memory. But I assure you I'm not mistaken. I'm not sold by your "misremembered" explanation, and you are free to not believe me. I'm merely pointing out what I saw on the opening day of the film. Take what you will from it. I posted this quite a while ago and am surprised that to this day random people have supported my memory on it. I find it a bit sad that I'd have to be found dead before you might consider this as any kind of truth, but so be it. The scene was cut. Just look at the scene, it is so very obvious. But all you naysayers are free to disagree, and it will still not change my memory on this.

You may very well be right. I'm just saying there's nowhere near enough for it to be proved beyond reasonable doubt and with quarter of a century old witness testimony as your only evidence it's all very flimsy.
  • Jarrod wrote:

It looks like a case of false memory, as suggested by @Wizard and @thelordflasheart. Probably the easiest way of telling is looking at the BBFC website:
    http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classified.nsf/c2fb077ba3f9b33980256b4f002da32c/27853a000018bb488025660b0034df88?OpenDocument

As you'll see, no cuts were made to either the theatrical or video releases.

As also suggested above, contacting the editors would be the way for you to answer the question for yourself for once and for all.

What would it take to make you doubt your memory? It's interesting, isn't it?
    Problem is, the BBFC has no way of saying if a movie was cut by the fimmakers themselves. If the movie was cut before passing through them, of course, they will say it's uncut. So, the best ways to see if it was cut would be to ask the people who were involved: John Glen, the editor, or Virginia Hey herself. That is, if they want to answer.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 2
    I don't understand why people keep posting other websites that have comparison results identifying no cuts as proof that there were no cuts. By definition, those comparisons are between the versions the respective reviewers had access to. The assertion here is that there was a version that is not generally available. Thus these posted analyses have no bearing on the discussion unless proof is also offered that their compiled versions are indeed all-encompassing.

I also doubt that Ms. Hey could be depended on as a reliable source. It seems to me that actors have little input to post-production, and one with such a minor (albeit historic ;-) ) part would certainly not be involved final edit decisions.

I do find it very interesting that this debate has been going on for at least 7 years on the Internet, yet it seems no statement either way has ever been made by those who would know, i.e. Glen, Broccolli, et al.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 388
    rickvb wrote:
    I do find it very interesting that this debate has been going on for at least 7 years on the Internet, yet it seems no statement either way has ever been made by those who would know, i.e. Glen, Broccolli, et al.

I don't think you should expect Wilson and Broccoli to respond, as a matter of course, to spurious rumours posted on fan sites with a handful of comments.
    rickvb wrote:
    I don't understand why people keep posting other websites that have comparison results identifying no cuts as proof that there were no cuts. By definition, those comparisons are between the versions the respective reviewers had access to. The assertion here is that there was a version that is not generally available. Thus these posted analyses have no bearing on the discussion unless proof is also offered that their compiled versions are indeed all-encompassing.

I'm positive that the OP really does believe that he saw the shot. But I think the burden of proof falls on him, who swears to seeing this extraordinary nude shot 25 years ago when he was just a 15 year old boy, despite the fact that there isn't a single shred of proof that such a scene was even shot - let alone released in theatres.

I've contacted John Grover to clear it up for once and for all. I'm 100% sure that such a scene never existed and I will very happily eat my hat (and post a picture) if wrong. I'll update you all as soon as I know.
    rickvb wrote:
    The assertion here is that there was a version that is not generally available.

I don't know much about film distribution but I assume the studio decides on a cut for a particular territory and then send that version to every cinema in that country.

Which is more likely? The idea that there was a separate version distributed exclusively in the Sacramento area or that Jarrod is simply mistaken?

Good work by Moloney for contacting John Grover but I doubt this will convince him. He'll probably say his memory is more reliable than Grovers.
    Last time I checked this was a James Bond forum, not a court of law. How does the "burden of proof" fall on me? I repeat, "you're free to not believe me." I'M MERELY TELLING YOU WHAT I SAW! I'm beginning to get offended with sharing anything with this forum. Why am I forced to defend what I saw? I merely pointed it out, and others have come forward and substantiated my claim. Obviously I'm not the only one! If you choose to not believe, it's fine by me. But any proof that Sir James Bologney digs up will NOT change my mind at all. Though, at this point, I'd really love to see you eat a hat!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited May 2013 Posts: 17,691
    Just did an extensive search of the more, er... bare female skin sites, and if a full frontal shot of Ms. Hey existed from TLD, it'd be there.
    I am forced to concur with my esteemed colleagues who estimate that shock & awe of the teenage calibre back then created a false idea of what we actually saw.
    Sometimes your mind can fill in the blanks... helped of course by raging hormones. :))
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 388
    Jarrod wrote:
    Last time I checked this was a James Bond forum, not a court of law. How does the "burden of proof" fall on me? I repeat, "you're free to not believe me." I'M MERELY TELLING YOU WHAT I SAW! I'm beginning to get offended with sharing anything with this forum. Why am I forced to defend what I saw? I merely pointed it out, and others have come forward and substantiated my claim. Obviously I'm not the only one! If you choose to not believe, it's fine by me. But any proof that Sir James Bologney digs up will NOT change my mind at all. Though, at this point, I'd really love to see you eat a hat!

No need to be offended. You remember seeing a shot of an actress's bare breasts in the film quarter of a century ago when you were a 15 year old boy. It's been suggested by several people that you may be misremembering in light of the fact that there is no footage of the scene in question, no mention of it in the script and no record whatsoever of this scene having ever existed.

As you've made it clear that you won't be convinced even if the man who actually cut the scene confirms it then there's not really much more for us to say about it but as I've contacted the editor of the film, I'll let the rest of the forum know what he comes back with.

I'm a bit surprised by your reaction. I thought that you would be expecting John Grover to confirm that such a scene did exist and was removed for some reason?

Thanks for posting the clippings
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2013 Posts: 13,350
    If such a shot exists what where they thinking putting that in a Bond film? Nothing of the like had appeared before or since.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Samuel001 wrote:
    If such a shot exists what where they thinking putting that in a Bond film? Nothing of the like had appeared before or since.
    There has been plenty of instances of nudity in the films pre LTK, so I don't see the fuss. They aren't that strong in content, but they do add up.
    edited May 2013 Posts: 17,691
    Samuel001 wrote:
    As a kid I too remember a full frontal, but not because it was there, but because after the side shot where we DID see nippleage, the front shot that did not include it included it anyway in my mind because I was so startled by seeing ANY AT ALL lasting that long in a Bond flick! ^:)^
    I can't account for what John Grover will tell you concerning the edit. I'd be relieved (for the sake of my argument on this forum) if, what he tells you confirms my memory. But if he says the shot didn't exist, I still wouldn't believe it. This is how convinced I am about what I saw. But if you say "I'm 100% sure that such a scene never existed" then I'm convinced that you are just blatantly arguing with my position, for which you have no basis of argument. You weren't in the movie theater with me in 1987. I can specifically remember seeing the film right when it came out on VHS in America, and thinking "what happened to that scene?" And this wasn't 25 years later, this was only months later! At 15 I was a serious fan (as you can tell by my clippings) and I swear I'm not making this up. I do not know the lengths in which EON will cover this up, so whether John Grover will tell you the truth or not, I cannot say. I'm offended because I've been a hardcore Bond fan since I was five (when I saw TSWLM in the theater) and had only the purest of intentions bringing this noticeable edit to this forum, and in doing so, I'm accused for having a preposterous or faulty recollection. Yet I try to show as much proof as I can, I scan reviews from newspapers from the time that says the film has nudity, and other people account for my recollection. Yet unless I produce the actual clip, it's assumed I mentally made it up. Well I didn't. I hope John Grover does confirm this, for the sake of this thread.
    Jarrod wrote:
    i Yet unless I produce the actual clip, it's assumed I mentally made it up. Well I didn't.
    Dude, you and I both were addicted to Playboy back then, boobs were our life's ambition and consumed our very souls. We saw what was suggested to us, and the fact that Maryam d'Abo DID do a full frontal in Playboy at the time did NOT help our recollection of that event IMO. :)>-
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    This is a very amusing thread, I must say.

"Listen, man, I saw IT. I saw BIGFOOT!"

"Yeah, sure you did."

"What, you don't believe me? I know what I saw!"

"Where is your proof, amigo?"

"Ah...well, I don't exactly have proof."

"Exactly. That's what I freakin' thought."

"But...I saw it, I did!"

"Yep, whatever. You have some screws loose, pal."
  • Ahhh, most of my childhood was spent trying to spot the odd errant nipple in Bond films. If you pause it, you can see nipple as far back as Diamonds Are Forever. In the opening sequence where he strangles her with her bikini top, you get a quick flash...trust me, it's there ;-)

Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever actually grow up.
    I saw TLD in the Netherlands when it first came out. It definitely had the top frontal shot! I hope they restore it one day it makes more sense to put it back in. The scene looks too edited now.
    Jarrod wrote:
    I can't account for what John Grover will tell you concerning the edit. I'd be relieved (for the sake of my argument on this forum) if, what he tells you confirms my memory. But if he says the shot didn't exist, I still wouldn't believe it. This is how convinced I am about what I saw. But if you say "I'm 100% sure that such a scene never existed" then I'm convinced that you are just blatantly arguing with my position, for which you have no basis of argument. You weren't in the movie theater with me in 1987. I can specifically remember seeing the film right when it came out on VHS in America, and thinking "what happened to that scene?" And this wasn't 25 years later, this was only months later! At 15 I was a serious fan (as you can tell by my clippings) and I swear I'm not making this up. I do not know the lengths in which EON will cover this up, so whether John Grover will tell you the truth or not, I cannot say. I'm offended because I've been a hardcore Bond fan since I was five (when I saw TSWLM in the theater) and had only the purest of intentions bringing this noticeable edit to this forum, and in doing so, I'm accused for having a preposterous or faulty recollection. Yet I try to show as much proof as I can, I scan reviews from newspapers from the time that says the film has nudity, and other people account for my recollection. Yet unless I produce the actual clip, it's assumed I mentally made it up. Well I didn't. I hope John Grover does confirm this, for the sake of this thread.

I am only arguing from a position of logic and balance of probabilities.

Which is more probable? That there was a separate print made just for your local area and a different cut to the rest of America that was then recalled and expunged from existence or that over time your memory is playing tricks on you?

If your cut was approved by the censor it would have been shown across the states and given the amount of yanks we have on here you'd have more than a couple of suspiciously new members to back you up.
    Also it would mean that EON presented to the censor a cut with full frontal tits showing which they had never done before even if they had hinted at it with Tania and Anya. The side boob shot in TLD is consistent with the glimpses of nudity we had before in FRWL, DAF and TSWLM and after with LTK, TND and TWINE. But even in the new gritty DC age where we have the first 'fuck' uttered and the extra leeway of a 12A cert we are still yet to have a proper shot of some tits as EON always have a very clear policy of making family films.

I'm not saying its impossible you are right just like its impossible to disprove the existence of God but it does seem extremely unlikely.

If its any consolation when I was a teenager regularly on the prowl for nudity (kids today have got it made with their internet porn. They'll never know the excitement of finding it in a layby or the frisson of terror at having to go into a newsagent and physically buy an actual porn mag. It was a rite of passage!) in the film Shattered I swear I saw Joanne Whalley Kilmer get them out but in subsequent hunts it seems my adolescent mind is mistaken. My memory playing tricks certainly seems a far more likely scenario than a conspiracy by the film company for Christs sake!
    Well, depending on the market, there can be different versions of a same movie. I remember watching the Bruce Lee movie "Way of the Dragon" in german and seeing scenes that had been cut in the french release (curiously, the title credits were in french in both versions). And speaking of Bond, I'm pretty sure that, if Internet had existed at the time, the rest of the world would have thought the Americans crazy for speaking of a scene in OHMSS where Bond cracks a banker's safe, and tears up the centerfold of an issue of Playboy.
  • Gerard wrote:
    Well, depending on the market, there can be different versions of a same movie. I remember watching the Bruce Lee movie "Way of the Dragon" in german and seeing scenes that had been cut in the french release (curiously, the title credits were in french in both versions). And speaking of Bond, I'm pretty sure that, if Internet had existed at the time, the rest of the world would have thought the Americans crazy for speaking of a scene in OHMSS where Bond cracks a banker's safe, and tears up the centerfold of an issue of Playboy.

You're right that it's very common for different versions to be released in different markets. The US and UK both had slightly different versions of LTK, for example. I think the issue here is that (a) it seems that it's being suggested that two different versions were released in the US alone* - this would require it to be resubmitted to the MPAA, I think (but I'm not sure - that certainly would be the case with the BBFC in the UK) and (b) there's no record whatsoever of the film ever containing this scene. The safecracking scene in OHMSS was well documented.

*A good example from Bond of this occurring would be that there were apparently early prints of Thunderball released in theatres with the legend "James Bond will return in On Her Majesty's Secret Service" at the start of the end credits - you can still see where the cut jumps in the current version. But, again, this has been quite well documented.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 2,015
    Jarrod wrote:
    You weren't in the movie theater with me in 1987.
    Well in 1987 I saw it several times the day it opened in France (I'm slightly older than you are), I even missed the PTS on the very first time, I remember the lady telling me to rush when we realized the ads were already over, and I just saw the parachute ! First time and last time ever I ever missed the beginning of any movie !
    I never saw what you saw, and I even distinctly remember the short slow-mo/freeze effect in that scene, as it's quite inusual in movies in general (like at the end of QoS PTS).
    Even if it is a cliche, I'd add that having naked breasts in a family movie in France is not a problem at all so I don't know why they would have censored it here and let it in a country where such topics are more touchy :)

Even if it is a cliche, I'd add that having naked breasts in a family movie in France is not a problem at all so I don't know why they would have censored it here and let it in a country where such topics are more touchy :)

Thanks, Id say that pretty much settles it for me then. :)>-
    chrisisall wrote:

Thanks, Id say that pretty much settles it for me then. :)>-

Yeah if that cut of the film existed the frogs would have shown it.
    @Suivez_ce_parachute
    I agree that France tends to be more lenient when it comes to nudity, but the film did open there 3 months after it did in the U.S., so one never knows? StationG says he saw the scene in the U.K. at the theater and that it appeared on the original PAL VHS version, harryfyhr claims to have seen the shot in Norway 2 times when it opened, Kenric8 says he saw the scene in the U.S. with his dad, rickvb says he saw the scene on an early cable viewing and Taffin says he saw the scene in the Netherlands, so obviously I'm not the only one, and this wasn't exclusive to just Sacramento in the U.S. But this apparently holds no weight with anyone?
This discussion has been closed.