Nudity in The Living Daylights

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    No.

:-j
    Well then you must be extremely bored chrisisall to be bothering so much with this thread.
    What about the nudity in DAF? when Connery rips the bra off the girl you can see something for about a frame or two ;)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Jarrod wrote:
    @Suivez_ce_parachute
    I agree that France tends to be more lenient when it comes to nudity, but the film did open there 3 months after it did in the U.S., so one never knows? StationG says he saw the scene in the U.K. at the theater and that it appeared on the original PAL VHS version, harryfyhr claims to have seen the shot in Norway 2 times when it opened, Kenric8 says he saw the scene in the U.S. with his dad, rickvb says he saw the scene on an early cable viewing and Taffin says he saw the scene in the Netherlands, so obviously I'm not the only one, and this wasn't exclusive to just Sacramento in the U.S. But this apparently holds no weight with anyone?

Is it just me or do I detect that we are having our chain pulled here?

The sources Jarrod mentions have the following number of posts to their name:

StationG - 5
    Harryfyhr - 3
    Kenric8 - 1
    Rickvb - 2
    Taffin - 37

And Jarrod himself only has 122 and most of those are in this thread.

Now of course I'm an awful cynic and these figures prove nothing but it seems rather curious to me that the 6 people to have seen this mythical scene only have a total of 170 posts between them.

Why has not one of the longstanding members with thousands of posts come forward?

I find it all looking very dodgy.
    Probably because they're to busy posting about Iron Man 3, Batman, the new Mission Impossible, the latest video game they played etc...
    What I find really sad, is that people who only jump on every banal discussion on this forum (25% is probably not even Bond related) are only considered worthy eyewitnesses? That's ridiculous! I only have 122 comments, wow, sorry I didn't state more lists of my favorite Bond films in different orders to appease the mod gods. You got me Wizard of Ice, all 5 avatars are me!
    Jarrod wrote:
    What I find really sad, is that people who only jump on every banal discussion on this forum (25% is probably not even Bond related) are only considered worthy eyewitnesses? That's ridiculous! I only have 122 comments, wow, sorry I didn't state more lists of my favorite Bond films in different orders to appease the mod gods. You got me Wizard of Ice, all 5 avatars are me!

Not making any accusations sir just highlighting a rather curious anomaly. It seems rather random as to which cinema this alleged scene was shown so I just find it rather curious that we have this statistical cluster of only people with a couple of posts as the only witnesses to 'Nessie'.

Of course statistical clusters can be misleading so it doesn't prove anything.
    ERRR MAH GEERRRDDD!!! NERPLES!!!!!!

happy_kid.jpg
    ^ dat
    =))
    chrisisall wrote:
    Jarrod wrote:
    i Yet unless I produce the actual clip, it's assumed I mentally made it up. Well I didn't.
    Dude, you and I both were addicted to Playboy back then, boobs were our life's ambition and consumed our very souls. We saw what was suggested to us, and the fact that Maryam d'Abo DID do a full frontal in Playboy at the time did NOT help our recollection of that event IMO. :)>-

Maryam d'Abo was also naked in a movie called The Man Living at the Ritz, if my memory is not mistaken. Then again I understand I may be wrong, because memory is fallible.

And to answer to the OP, I seriously doubt there was full frontal nudity in any version of TLD.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I'll go rent TLD this coming weekend again (I sadly don't own Bond films here in Japan( and let you know what is shown on this version. I remember her hands in front of her covering her breasts.

But yes there has been some nude breasts in Bond films before, definitely.

I woke up to something like 28 new comments on this thread, which I find amusing. ;)
    I'll go rent TLD this coming weekend again (I sadly don't own Bond films here in Japan( and let you know what is shown on this version. I remember her hands in front of her covering her breasts.

But yes there has been some nude breasts in Bond films before, definitely.

I woke up to something like 28 new comments on this thread, which I find amusing. ;)

Yes there was, but they were glimpses, partial nudity.
    It's all about the boobies... :-??
    edited May 2013 Posts: 9,117
    Ludovico wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Jarrod wrote:
    i Yet unless I produce the actual clip, it's assumed I mentally made it up. Well I didn't.
    Dude, you and I both were addicted to Playboy back then, boobs were our life's ambition and consumed our very souls. We saw what was suggested to us, and the fact that Maryam d'Abo DID do a full frontal in Playboy at the time did NOT help our recollection of that event IMO. :)>-

Maryam d'Abo was also naked in a movie called The Man Living at the Ritz, if my memory is not mistaken. Then again I understand I may be wrong, because memory is fallible.

And to answer to the OP, I seriously doubt there was full frontal nudity in any version of TLD.

Well she's not even listed on IMDB as being in The Man Who Lived At The Ritz so you either misremembered or perhaps they cut her entire part not just the nude bits. I know which Jarrod would think is more likely.

FYI if you want to see Maryam full frontal you need to see Xtro and Dangerous Desire.

Or so someone told me.

To be honest I think this will be closed soon although it would be nice to see if Sir James gets a response from John Grover.
    @chrisisall
    It really isn't "all about the boobies" for me, my real interest isn't about some juvenile titillation. It just so happens that the cut scene included nudity. My issue here is about retroactive censorship. It's also about a deleted scene in a Bond film, something I thought this James Bond forum would be interested in. Apparently, this claim isn't being taken seriously because it concerns nudity. I was a film student in college, I took different film theory courses through out, and specifically ones studying film censorship. It is a serious interest for me, not a joke. But I'm starting to think some of the people on this forum are a joke, that can't take anything seriously. I just ordered the original VHS and Laserdisc of The living Daylights and plan on doing comparisons of the scene in question, to see if each one offers a different edit of the scene. If the scene is cut differently on all these different formats, one would have to concede that this particular scene has been mucked around with. And TheWizardOfIce, you have no clue of which I "would think is more likely" on anything. Your arrogance is unbelievable. I could see not being taken seriously IF I was in fact the only person to see this scene, but I'm not.
    Ludovico wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Jarrod wrote:

Well she's not even listed on IMDB as being in The Man Who Lived At The Ritz so you either misremembered or perhaps they cut her entire part not just the nude bits. I know which Jarrod would think is more likely.

FYI if you want to see Maryam full frontal you need to see Xtro and Dangerous Desire.

Or so someone told me.

To be honest I think this will be closed soon although it would be nice to see if Sir James gets a response from John Grover.

Me? Misremembering? How dare you! No seriously, yes, my mistake, no idea where I got that from. I see now that the actress I was thinking about was not her. But there was plenty of nudity in this movie.
    Jarrod wrote:
    @chrisisall
    I took different film theory courses through out, and specifically ones studying film censorship. It is a serious interest for me, not a joke. But I'm starting to think some of the people on this forum are a joke, that can't take anything seriously.
    Two things here:
    1) The inclusion of a full frontal breast shot of Ms. Hey would be unnecessary to advance the scene for most fans, and even a bit offensive to some watching in a family situation, so in the end this is a curiosity for me, not a cause.
    2) IMHO, you sir need to lighten up a bit. This is NOT about censoring ideas or viewpoints, it is NOT about removing political content or social statement, it is NOT about radically changing an artist's work.

It's just about the boobies.

:))
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 388
    Jarrod wrote:
    @chrisisall
    It really isn't "all about the boobies" for me, my real interest isn't about some juvenile titillation. It just so happens that the cut scene included nudity. My issue here is about retroactive censorship. It's also about a deleted scene in a Bond film, something I thought this James Bond forum would be interested in. Apparently, this claim isn't being taken seriously because it concerns nudity. I was a film student in college, I took different film theory courses through out, and specifically ones studying film censorship. It is a serious interest for me, not a joke. But I'm starting to think some of the people on this forum are a joke, that can't take anything seriously. I just ordered the original VHS and Laserdisc of The living Daylights and plan on doing comparisons of the scene in question, to see if each one offers a different edit of the scene. If the scene is cut differently on all these different formats, one would have to concede that this particular scene has been mucked around with. And TheWizardOfIce, you have no clue of which I "would think is more likely" on anything. Your arrogance is unbelievable. I could see not being taken seriously IF I was in fact the only person to see this scene, but I'm not.

I'm actually surprised at how seriously people are taking this (myself included). There are a few jokes going around because of the titillating nature of the scene in question but there have been a number of very thoughtful responses posted. I thought @Grinderman and @thelordflasheart's posts on the nature of memory and film, for example, were really interesting. And @Wizard posted an interesting comparison with his memory of Dolly wearing braces. So the thread's been a very good one.

@Jarrod, I understand that you absolutely, positively remember seeing the scene in question. But can you at least understand why other people on this forum (who have never met you and don't know you) might think you're misremembering? I'm not suggesting you concede that you are, but just asking if you can appreciate why that seems like the most likely answer to most people?
    Jarrod wrote:
    @chrisisall

Your intransigence is unbelievable.

I'm not sure there are many things I could say I remember clearly enough from 25 years ago that I could say with such fervent certainty are absolute fact. How lucky you are to still be so assured of your own righteousness. I'm afraid that having reached the age of someone who was a teenager when TLD was released means the only thing I know for sure is I know nothing.

I've never actually said you are wrong but merely tried to expound more plausible theories one of which, despite your protestations, is that witness testimony is notoriously unreliable. The only real evidence presented for your theory is your own certitude and sorry but for me that is far from empirical proof.

You need to learn some humility sir and entertain the possibility you might be wrong. There's no man in history who hasn't been mistaken in his life and its only the idiot who says 'I cannot possibly be wrong.'
    @chrisisall
    I don't agree. Each Bond film has always been representative of the time period in which it was born. Obviously, many of the films were influenced by the cold war, or the current ones having a kind of neo-Fascist atmosphere. What interesting to me about TLD is that it came out of an era where AIDS had become a real fear, and this changed the nature of Bond's relationship with women in cinema. Bond is fairly monogamous in TLD, and I can't help but feel that possibly the producers were trying to over compensate the lack of women that Bond was typically surrounded by. It's possible that this misguided attempt was merely there to push an edginess that had been missing in Moore's tenure. It's a fact that Dalton's portrayal was darker and edgier than previously portrayed. He smoked, was more ruthless, and offered far less humor. This scene isn't merely about "boobies" and titillation, it's deliberately showing how cold and ruthless his Bond could be. It's also fascinating to see if EON could possibly have been wrong or misguided in this attempt, and quickly changed there mind on it. This is what it's really about for me.

edited May 2013 Posts: 17,691
    Jarrod wrote:
    What interesting to me about TLD is that it came out of an era where AIDS had become a real fear, and this changed the nature of Bond's relationship with women in cinema. Bond is fairly monogamous in TLD, and I can't help but feel that possibly the producers were trying to over compensate the lack of women that Bond was typically surrounded by.
    Interesting, Jarrod. Truthfully though, Bond banging babes left & right was always a source of amusement to me, not something to even take seriously as a teenager, so by 1987 it was a welcome change to get on with the mission.
    Also, unexpected boobie viewing will effectively stun a heterosexual male for up to three seconds as he will be caught in between the task-at-hand/possible procreation imperatives. A device stolen for Jackie Chan's Operation Condor and an episode in Dark Angel's second season.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Hey guys, just wanted to chime in and say that I was 8 years old when I saw The Living Daylights in the theater with my father in the summer of 1987 here in the U.S. I remember the scene in question as I was both excited and fascinated at seeing "the boobies" as any young boy would. However, I was so young and it was so long ago now that I couldn't possibly be 100% certain that I saw anything different than the version we have now. Just stating the obvious here but I cast my vote that the OP is most likely misremembering the whole thing.
    pachazo wrote:
    I remember the scene in question as I was both excited and fascinated at seeing "the boobies" as any young boy would. However, I was so young and it was so long ago now that I couldn't possibly be 100% certain that I saw anything different than the version we have now. Just stating the obvious here but I cast my vote that the OP is most likely misremembering the whole thing.
    Yeah, trawling through my own memory of it the cuts were so fast to me (before the age of superfast editing, of course) that the front shot of Ms. Hey from above-nippleage-up was completed by my mind's eye in the, err.. heat of the moment.
    :))
    Jarrod wrote:
    @Suivez_ce_parachute
    I agree that France tends to be more lenient when it comes to nudity, but the film did open there 3 months after it did in the U.S., so one never knows? StationG says he saw the scene in the U.K. at the theater and that it appeared on the original PAL VHS version, harryfyhr claims to have seen the shot in Norway 2 times when it opened, Kenric8 says he saw the scene in the U.S. with his dad, rickvb says he saw the scene on an early cable viewing and Taffin says he saw the scene in the Netherlands, so obviously I'm not the only one, and this wasn't exclusive to just Sacramento in the U.S. But this apparently holds no weight with anyone?

I have a original PAL VHS of TLD but nothing to play it on.
    Kananga wrote:
    I have a original PAL VHS of TLD but nothing to play it on.
    Visit an antique store! We *MUST* know!! The fate of the free world depends upon it!
  • This may be my first post, but please don't accuse me of being a Jarrod sockpuppet. Actually, I used to post occasionally before the forum revamp but have been able to resist until now.

I never saw TLD in the cinema but rented it on VHS in the UK as soon as it became available. I'd have been about 24 at the time, so old enough not to get too carried away by what I saw. The full frontal bare boobs scene was definitely there. I remember being surprised at the time and thinking to myself that this kind of blatant nudity was a first for a Bond film. I watched the film again when it was first shown on UK TV and noticed immediately that the scene had beed edited. I wasn't surprised by this either as the scene had struck me as being in dubious taste.
    I'd have been about 24 at the time, so old enough not to get too carried away by what I saw.
    24?
    That's NOT too old IMO! :)) Seriously dude.
  • chrisisall wrote:
    That's NOT too old IMO! :)) Seriously dude.

Well, one never gets fed up with boobs even at the age I am now. What I'm trying to say is that I wasn't some spotty teenager whose imagination ran riot at the hint of breast. I'm certain about what I saw. I'm very firm on the boobs and the boobs were very firm.
    I'm very firm on the boobs and the boobs were very firm.
    Then I dismiss your memory. Sorry old man, but they were very much less than 'firm'.
    Case closed IMO. :))
  • chrisisall wrote:
    Then I dismiss your memory. Sorry old man, but they were very much less than 'firm'.
    Case closed IMO. :))
    Twas just a joke. One thing I can't remember after all these years is how pert they were.
This discussion has been closed.