Anyone else dissapointed about the Oscar's hommage to 50 years of James Bond?

Comments

• My only disappointment was that after Shirley Bassey performed her most classic Bond theme and Adelle performed her now Oscar winning Bond theme, an opportunity was missed for a live performance of "Nobody Does It Better" when they were memorializing Marvin Hamlish. Part of me wondered if they couldn't get Carly Simon so they needed to settle for Barbara Streisland performing one of his non-Bond songs.
    Actually "Nobody Does it Better" was played when two of the presenters came on. Nonetheless, the Bond tribute was weak. It seemed more akin to a commercial you'd see on a Bond DVD announcing a Blu-Ray collection. Given how old Shirley Bassey must be now, her rendition of Goldfinger was admirable. Over the years the Oscars seem to have become increasingly duller. Still like to see the awards, the stuff in between seems uninspired.
    Yeah, Shirley did a great job, didn't show her age. Although I don't know exactly how old she is...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Shirley is 76. We live in the age of the internet, folks. Google is seconds away.
  • Haven't seen it yet.

So it was essentially the same as the Bafta tribute except with Shirley Bassey not Tom Jones? With Adele performing seperately?

That's what I expected from the start so no big deal.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I expected a simple montage with Bassey and Adele. I was given exactly what I expected, so I was happy.
  • I have to i was very disappointed, with the tribute, although Dame Shirley was good as always.
    Would of been nice to get together some of the bond stars and a special oscar for the producers for the film series.
    On a plus point glad skyfall scored two oscars or should that be 1 and 1/2 as sounding editing was a tie.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    edited February 2013 Posts: 4,012
    Anyone has a link? ;)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The tribute was a massive let down and just felt cobbled together like an after thought. More time and effort was put into the words used for Halle's teleprompter. The montage was weak and I've seen better tributes on YouTube. Hell, the bafta tribute was better and if course tge only good thing was Bassey belting out GF. I thought she would have done DAF too. The tribute was disappointing and underwhelming and rushed out of the way. I don't know why they even bothered to do one if it was going to be done so begrudgingly.
    Yes, @Sandy. Not a great copy though...

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited February 2013 Posts: 11,139
    Adele performing SF

http://movies.broadwayworld.com/videoplay.cfm?colid=468133

Yeah, the sound in her microphone was way off.

Here's the full tribute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sAQGf_xd_9s
    I've only seen clips of Adele performing but from what I saw I wasn't too impressed. The sound seemed a bit off to me. Shame because I really like the song and am glad it won.
    WOW, the sound is really bad and didn't they suggest, they would come up with something unique for the tribute? 00bad...
  • THEBond007THEBond007 Banned
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    THEBond007 wrote:
    I was soo excited but let down soo bad but the goldenfinger song was good.

Sorry to be a pain in the ### but it's Goldfinger* ;)

And, Adele will perform 'Skyfall' in minutes!

Oh wow I never knew I did that haha.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    I was shocked by Adele's performance a tad. The audio was just not right, and it never sounded like she hit those higher notes. It did get better as the song went on, though. Maybe it was a problem with the sound at the Oscars, or her nerves acted up? Who knows.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 1,661
    The tribute felt a bit rushed - just some Bond clips stuck together.

I think they should have had some backstory to how the franchise came about - some mention of Albert Broccoli and Harry Saltzman and how they hired Terence Young and Sean Connery for Doctor No. This would have put the franchise into some historical context.

A small mention of a great stunt, perhaps Moonraker's freefall stunt from the pre-credit sequence would have been nice too to remind younger viewers of the long tradition of cleverly designed, often ground-breaking stunt scenes that have become a hallmark of the franchise. Just sticking up clips seemed an unimaginative way to do a tribute but the Oscars ceremony is full of so many advert breaks actual 'live time' on the show is finite. Still, a brief tribute is better than none at all. :)
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 3,494
    Dame Shirley KILLED it, the best solo vocal performance of the night hands down. Adele did not sound as good as I had expected.

Other than the Bonds not appearing, which would have been nice but since the Academy has snubbed the franchise many times over it was fine with me if they did the snubbing, I cannot ever remember any Oscar night so Bond flavored. SF makes history by being the first Bond film to win multiple Oscars. We should all be proud to be fans today :)

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @JWESTBROOK Thank you for the link, sir! However, this little thread can stay on as far as I'm concerned. Let's call it an exception on a calm day. ;-)

I, for one, am not amused. With so much fuss in advance, it felt sub-standard even for the Academy. Did they hire some first year students to put this thing together? I'm more than annoyed. SF's premiere did it so much better. Hell, even the Olympics did things better.

As for Deakens not winning the Oscar, that's even worse. Wait, and losing it against Life Of Pi? :O I'd say it's time we investigate substance abuse within the Academy. I've never had much faith in the Oscars but this downright settles it. Green screen and CGI versus the real magic of SF: any sane person would pick option number two. It goes without saying that insanity triumphs at the Academy.

In case you hadn't noticed, people, I'm in a total WTF mode.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 163
    I was not expecting anything spectacular like bringing all the Bonds together. This jamboree lost its lustre years ago. Bond has lasted for 50 years and will last many more years. That is what makes it so special.
    Dame Shirley Bassey was smoking last night. Adele was fine, I didn't feel she was off, just nothing spectacular. I agree that maybe her vocals could have been higher in the mix.

I though maybe I missed something earlier in the show, but it seems sadly I hadn't. Was Daniel Craig even there?
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 1,817
    My opinion:
    - the video: it was good, I found it balanced in terms of actors exposition. I'd have liked a little more dialogue like giving some memorable quotes but it was ok. I think it was a privilege for the franchise anyway.
    - Dame Shirley Bassey: for a woman of more than 70 years old she not only looked good but also gave a solid performance. Of course she was cautious with her voice, which by the way it's more down in range (as it's a natural process of the vocal folds.)
    - Adele: even if that audio didn't help her, I felt she was a little nervous. It almost felt like a cover version. But it was great to her the song live and even better to win the Oscar.
    0013 wrote:
    My opinion:
    - Dame Shiirley Bassey: for a woman of more than 70 years old she not only looked good but also gave a solid performance. Of course she was cautious with her voice, which by the way it's more down in range (as it's a natural process of the vocal folds.)

Good point, I felt this way with her first few notes. It seemed more reserved than the original, but by the end she really brought the house down.
  • It just goes to show that the producers need to continue raising the bar in making a quality spy movie and not just some RPG or simple Bond movie with effects and underground volcanoes.
    Thanks for the video @bondsum, Dame Shirley still has a powerful pair of lungs #:-S
  • Really, Academy WTF was that? You have a tribute to Bond with NO Bond, 1 Bond Girl, No Villains. You show a video montage you could of pulled from You tube. The 1981 For Your Eyes Only Oscar song was better! You could of had past Bond Girls come out, Past Villains, at least one or 2 Bonds really done it up....but you fell flat. Don't care if all the Bonds got together, but you should of at least had one of them!
    edited February 2013 Posts: 4,012
  • It was great that the producers showed the James Bond tribute. However, I felt disapointed. I wish they would not have got over time because I would loved to see the second James Bond tribute. It probably would have been better.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It could have been far better but really, what did we expect? Anything should have been a plus and welcomed with open arms.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Sandy wrote:

Halle Barry that must be shock for some people.

They did a tribute to 50 years of 007 and that in itself was pretty impressive, ending it with the Bondsong that should have had an oscar for best song if there ever was one.

I found it well done an quite an honour they did give the franchise its due.

But of course some fanboys will never be pleased because they can write better movies, books, music and even outact anybody ever doing a job in the franchise. :D