Anyone else dissapointed about the Oscar's hommage to 50 years of James Bond?

124»

Comments

• I'm not bilingual, but doesn't "exotic cars" sound weird as far as Bond is concerned ? Don't you think Halle Berry was supposed to say "exotic locations, cars" ?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'm not bilingual, but doesn't "exotic cars" sound weird as far as Bond is concerned ? Don't you think Halle Berry was supposed to say "exotic locations, cars" ?
    You are talking about the same woman that said "Yo Momma" in DAD. Clearly she isn't a 5 star speaker.
  • I'm not bilingual, but doesn't "exotic cars" sound weird as far as Bond is concerned ? Don't you think Halle Berry was supposed to say "exotic locations, cars" ?
    You are talking about the same woman that said "Yo Momma" in DAD. Clearly she isn't a 5 star speaker.

That line was either aimed at getting a rise out of first-time Bond viewers, or a lack of competent writing on Purvis & Wade's part. Given the quality of the rest of the movie, I'd say the latter...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    I'm not bilingual, but doesn't "exotic cars" sound weird as far as Bond is concerned ? Don't you think Halle Berry was supposed to say "exotic locations, cars" ?

That line was either aimed at getting a rise out of first-time Bond viewers, or a lack of competent writing on Purvis & Wade's part. Given the quality of the rest of the movie, I'd say the latter...

I still can't believe even P&W would write that. Besides, though scripts are written, lines can be improvised. At the end of the day, I blame anyone who saw or heard that line and did nothing to stop it from being in existence.
    Agree with those who were disappointed and just feel like adding that more than anything the disappointment comes from the expectations the Academy created for this.
    They promoted this as a special and unique tribute to the James Bond film series, when it was (at best) the same as the type of Bond tribute you get at any other awards show.

I wasn't expecting all the Bond's to show up, I knew Shirley Bassey would be appearing, but even though I knew that the Bond's would not be making an appearance I assumed there would be something more than a very average montage and the wonderful Shirley Bassey...Chicago and Dream Girls got better tributes that night!

If they had just promoted it as a tribute to James Bond (mentioning nothing about it being special, unique, exciting etc as they did in the Press Release when they said they weren't bringing back all the Bond's) it would have still been an average montage, with a strong performance by Shirley Bassey afterwards...Because they talked it up it created this expectation of something special, as a fan you assume they must have something pretty good planned if they weren't going to even try and get all the Bond's together.

In this day and age the Academy Awards shouldn't think a video that mediocre is good enough (the BAFTA's tribute was better, the DVD trailers are better, there are youtube fan videos that are outstanding.) The tribute video should have enhanced what was already a good night for Bond fans, they shouldn't be left think 'thats it?'
    It’s something else, something very unique and very exciting but no, we’re not getting the Bonds together”.

So, this was said by those, who organized it - so its normal people a re wondering. It was ar from that - rather the opposite.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Germanlady wrote:
    It’s something else, something very unique and very exciting but no, we’re not getting the Bonds together”.

So, this was said by those, who organized it - so its normal people a re wondering. It was ar from that - rather the opposite.

Is that honestly what they said?

Priceless. Shirley Bassey singing GF and a video montage. That is truly a unique and exciting concept which I have never seen before and will be lucky to see again in my lifetime.

It was ridiculous based on that announcment, but even without it, it was POOR!
    edited March 2013 Posts: 28,694
    I agree. Members here have been criticized for being disappointed by how ordinary and lack luster the tribute was, but we all wouldn't have been so hyped for it if the Academy hadn't marketed it as the best thing since the discovery of electricity. It is like your parents teasing you about this stupendous present you will be unwrapping on Christmas morning, all to find out that it was just a pair of socks.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    And they called it a tribute. No, no, no, this is a tribute: