Anyone else dissapointed about the Oscar's hommage to 50 years of James Bond?

Comments

I saw it after reading all the negative comments here, and taking them into account it was a lot better than I expected!
    Halfway through the footage it looked like they were going to show more close-up shots of Halle Berry than of Pierce Brosnan, but later on they showed a few clips of him as well.
    If anything I would have preferred the clips to be in chronological order as it shows the evaluation of the series, but that's just nitpicking. Overall I thought it was a nice gesture.

Thoroughly enjoyed the two performances - pure class.
  • I was happy with it. At least they celebrated the Bond movies with Goldfinger. I didn't expect them to even do that.
    Someone wrote to Roger asking whether there was going to be a Bond "get-together" of all the Bonds at the Oscars. He answered on his web site that he had heard the rumor, and thus contacted the Academy about that. He was told there was no plan to bring them all together. So, based on that, I did not expect to see them on that stage.

The Bond tribute turned out to be satisfactory. Not everyone holds the Bond franchise at the same level of esteem as do hardcore JB fans. So, I didn't expect a lot out of the tribute. It was fine....nothing more or less.
    bondbat007 wrote:
    I find this thread unnecessary. I don't know what you guys were expecting. I was expecting a decent montage and Shirley Bassey and Adele and I got it. We knew the Bonds weren't getting together. It was a nice tribute that a billion people saw and Skyfall got two Oscars. That's good enough for me

This.

I think people's expectations were too high to ever please 'em. It seems to overshadow the fact Skyfall won two oscars on the night. You got Dame Bassey Belting a tune and a few nice clips. What more people expecting?

It was dreadful. What film franchise has lasted a constant 50 years? What film franchise has had as many top artists and memorable songs? The video was haphazard and sloppily edited. I have no doubt that given one week, a number of the talented people I have seen here could have produced a far superior and exciting video.

Instead of wasting time with the aged tv has-been William Shatner in a humorless sketch that no one will remember, why not devote a little more time to one of the most iconic film characters ever. We Americans are very self-absorbed and most times, think the world's interest level is confined to our country. This is just confirmation that our vision is confined at times to navel lint. I'm pleased that Skyfall came away with two Oscars, but doesn't change the fact that the films were dissed badly.
    I have heard alot of negative press about the 007 tribute coverage, not seen any of it myself personally. If it should be posted on here at somepoint? I will take a look out of curiosity?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited February 2013 Posts: 11,139
    I wasn't expecting a parade in fact, I felt that bafta tribute was vastly superior and would have been happy with that level of production but the Oscar tribute felt cheap and cobbled together. The only good thing about it was Bassey but overall it was incredibly dreary and uninspiring. Now that I think about it, I felt a sense if embarrassment when I should have felt a great deal of pride like I did with the bafta tribute.

Also, well said @FLeiter.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I have heard alot of negative press about the 007 tribute coverage, not seen any of it myself personally. If it should be posted on here at somepoint? I will take a look out of curiosity?

@RogueAgent check the previous page in this thread, I posted a link for a high quality video.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 1,497
    The entire show is on HULU now. I watched the Bond parts again. I am actually quite pleased with what we got: the fact that we got the clip, and TWO Bond songs in one show is still pretty good.

I'm more disappointed with the tabloids for selling these false rumours that all 6 actors were likely to show up for a reunion. There was that one article that suggested Connery just may show up because he respects the Academy. More a case of getting our hopes up for a Bond reunion than actual disappointment with the show.
  • What disappointed me was that they didn't use any of the real music from the films, or that they didn't include any dialogue. Like when you see and hear the laser turn on with Sean on the table, you automatically expect that you're going to hear the infamous word's next: "Do you expect me to talk?" - "No Mr. Bond I expect you to die!", but that didn't happen. Was happy though that they had Bassey do Goldfinger and not sing a little bit of each it, than a little bit of DAF, and then a little bit of MR.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 1,497
    What disappointed me was that they didn't use any of the real music from the films, or that they didn't include any dialogue.

True, I was thinking this a bit about the music, especially since the theme of the segment was the music of Bond. All they played was the Bond Theme and Live and Let Die. Where was Thunderball, or YOLT, or DAF, or the OHMSS theme, or We Have All the Time in the World, or Nobody Does It Better?
    Sandy wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

@RogueAgent check the previous page in this thread, I posted a link for a high quality video.

Cheers sandy! Will go take a look!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Do we have the BAFTA tribute clip somewhere here? Or should I try youtube? I'd love to see that one!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2013 Posts: 11,139
    I think it's telling how the BAFTAS put some sort of thought into making the montage and the Oscars just cobbled together a half arsed effort. Seriously, the BAFTAS did a great job celebrating 50 years of Bond in under 4 mins and you can tell they really got the message across. The Oscars was a flippin' joke imo.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    We win, in your face America :P
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    This one is fantastic.
    Wow, that one was great.
    Some of you just take any opportunity you can get to bash America or the Oscars don't you? Montage was fine and Bassey was great.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I have seen some great tributes, one a 12 minute one that was just glorious.

Now, I ask this: If the Oscars can spend more than twenty minutes padding the introduction with stupid jokes about actresses and their breasts, unmoving dance numbers and an average Star Trek cameo riddled with jokes falling flat as pancakes, why can't we get a long and satisfying Bond tribute?
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 3,494
    We win, in your face America :P

Yes indeed, sometimes even a blind squirrel finds a nut ;)

As for the Oscars, I'm happy enough with what we got given the Academy's snobbery towards Bond. BAFTA recognizes and celebrates the product much more and obviously gives the series it's proper due. I've said this before, there was a definite Bond flavor to this year's award ceremony that I appreciated and I'm not going to quibble too much because it's unlikely I'll ever see even this much again from these snobs in my lifetime. It just reminds me why I don't watch them except for certain occasions such as this.
  • I was happy with it. At least they celebrated the Bond movies with Goldfinger. I didn't expect them to even do that.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 267
    bondbat007 wrote:
    Some of you just take any opportunity you can get to bash America or the Oscars don't you? Montage was fine and Bassey was great.

Do you seriously think that? I live in America too, no one's bashing America - it was a shit presentation by the Oscars overall.

And shouts out to Shirley Bassey as well. You can tell she may have been playing it safe a little at the beginning, but a great performance that really culminated with a show stopper of an ending few lines.
  • bondbat007 wrote:

Learn to take a joke. My post wasn't meant to be taken seriously. I wasn't "bashing America", although yes, I think the Bafta tribute was better. Sue me.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I'm very happy that the Academy felt it important enough to honour the Bond series, with a fiftieth anniversary tribute. I'll grant that it would be impossible to please all, with such a tribute.
    But I have to say it looked rushed. Almost as though someone forgot to do it, and they put it together at the last minute. It wasn't completely terrible, but I'd hoped for better than a youtube fan creation...no offense.
    bondbat007 wrote:

Learn to take a joke. My post wasn't meant to be taken seriously. I wasn't "bashing America", although yes, I think the Bafta tribute was better. Sue me.

They deserved to be bashed. The more James Bond is 'Americanized', the faster the franchise suffers. Keep James Bond British and a product of British upbringing and loyalties. Don't turn him into a 'Matt Helm' or other cartoon characters. Or you'll have the colonists have him going thru the Taco Bell drive-thru driving a Chevy Cruze.

• edited February 2013 Posts: 11,119
    I was waiting with high anticipation and expectation the 50 years tribute on Oscar night.
    First dissapointment, the video they came up with, with Hollywood great ressources, was to say the least flat. Looking at it, I did not felt any strong emotion whatsoever... and that's what Hollywood had to offer about my hero, James Bond.
    Second huge dissapointment; no Connery-Lazenby-Moore-Dalton-Brosnan-Craig reunion. What was the cause? Did one or two of them declined? Was even an honest effort made to reunite them? Do the Oscars people realized that was the last chance to have them all together while they're still all alive?

I was ready to jump and cheer, acclaim, applaud my hands and my heart out in my living room to each of them.
    I feel like I was rob of a great moment.

The only bright spot was Shirley Bassey's rendition of Goldfinder.
    Shirley was the only one who got it right.

Your thoughts gentlemens?

I think you, and many other Bond fans, were expecting too much. I think it's rather unfair. If one knows a bit more about the Oscar galas, then you probably know that the last time Bond was receiving a tribute was in 1982. That's when Cubby received an honorary Oscar for his producer's work on James Bond.

One can never be happy apparently. There were complaints from fans when Bond got ignored consistently during many decades of Oscar galas. Now with the 85th Academy Awards we got:
    --> Two Oscars, 'Best Sound Editing' & 'Best Original Song'
    --> Three other Oscar nominations (many fans tend to forget that a sole Oscar nomination is recognition as well)
    --> One beautiful performance of 'Goldfinger' by Dame Shirley Bassey
    --> One beautiful performance of 'Skyfall' by Adele Adkins (Yes, it wasn't her best performance.....she was quite nervous if you ask me)
    --> One beuatiful 6 minute tribute video with memorable Bond scenes, including that beautiful main title girl from 'Skyfall' who's pointing her gun at us, and overlayed by nicely designed previous main title elements. I'm certain in a later stage the 85th Oscars will be featured on newer special edition BluRay's of 'Skyfall'
    --> One stylish introduction to Bond by previous Oscar winner Halle Berry, who at the same time used to be a Bond girl
    --> A lot of nice Bond instrumentals from the Oscar orchestra during the above examples

Now, call me 'irritatingly' positive, but compared to ALL 84 previous Oscar galas, James Bond has never been put in the spotlight that much. And also remember....this is not a Bond festival, but an Oscars gala. It's not fair for non-franchise movies, who only have ONE time to shine at the Oscars, to ignore them and don't give them tributes as well.

That's why I loved all other music performances from other nominated Oscar songs as well. And I wanna betttt that thanks to Bond and Adele, the Oscar category 'Best Original Song' got a lottt more famous this time around.

And I also loved the time travel opening with Captain Kirk from 'Star Trek'. Hilarious :-).

<iframe frameborder="0" width="560" height="315" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xxsa04?theme=pink_paradise&amp;foreground=#E02C72&amp;highlight=#BF4B78&amp;background=#260F18&quot;&gt;&lt;/iframe&gt;&lt;br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxsa04_halle-berry-shirley-bassey-james-bond-s-50th-birthday-tribute-oscars-2013_music"; target="_blank">Halle Berry & Shirley Bassey - James Bond's...</a> <i>door <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/DaRealRastaBwoi"; target="_blank">DaRealRastaBwoi</a></i>
    The BAFTA tribute was roughly 1 minute shorter than the oscars and was done much better. Something like that isn't asking for much but asking for just dues.
  • =bg= wrote:
    This one is fantastic.

I shall be honest....I loved this as well :-)
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    =bg= wrote:
    This one is fantastic.

I shall be honest....I loved this as well :-)

That one is brilliant!