The Skyfall DVD/Blu Ray-Out now!

Comments

Oh wow. Thank you!
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 2,015
    doubleoego wrote:
    Yes, it does make sense and it's a very interesting bit of trivia. The level of detail that goes into the props is astonishing. I've saved the images of that report btw lol.

Well, Skyfall had a Ms Mansfield on set, I think, keeping track on all the little details on the fly to account for anything unpredicted... (Sharon Mansfield : additional script supervisor, and additional usually means the one who does the dirty work :) )
    Private joke or Real clue ? Hard to say I'd say.

• edited February 2013 Posts: 421
    Everyone knows that the first head of SIS in 1919 was a guy named Mansfield Cumming, right?
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    doubleoego wrote:
    Yes, it does make sense and it's a very interesting bit of trivia. The level of detail that goes into the props is astonishing. I've saved the images of that report btw lol.

Well, Skyfall had a Ms Manfield on set, I think, making script changes on the fly...
    Private joke ?

I would bet so. Do you know what was Ms. Manfield job?
    AgentJM7 wrote:
    Everyone knows that the first head of SIS in 1919 was a guy named Mansfield Cumming, right?

Might also be that.

Also I'm now sure the name might have been a Craig joke, M is a mother figure for Bond why not naming her after his own mother?
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 2,015
    Sandy wrote:
    I would bet so. Do you know what was Ms. Manfield job?
    I edited after you replied (and it was Mansfield indeed, I did a typo). She was additional script supervisor. I never worked on the set of a UK blockbuster, so it may be different (titles are "weird" in the movie business...) but on a French set, she would be the one photographing the way Harris handle the box before they shot the angle in which Craig receives it (or the other way around), just to be sure the box has a coherent position. The main script supervisor would rather focus on the actors, and tell them the scarf should be higher etc... To me it could be a private joke, or quite a coincidence at the least.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    AgentJM7 wrote:

And famously signed things with a green "C". He is the origin of the one letter names in espionage.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 1,817
    So the name is Olivia Mansfield... that's very interesting.
    Now, is Brosnan's M also name Olivia? Because Barbara Mawdsley comes from a novel and therefore doesn't applies (it's like when people say Lee's M is called Miles Messervy while his last name was never stated in the movies).

I think that would be the second most important mystery regarding M after the duality Lee-Brown...
  • The name 'Olivia' also appears on a leaked storyboard of the death scene - she reveals the name before stating 'You are the most gorgeous...' and dying. I think she is buried under rubble rather than shot. Silva comes to his end in the forest around 'Skyfall' which is ablaze from the explosion.
    I just watched SF on BD and it's still just as good as when I saw it in the theater.
  • The name 'Olivia' also appears on a leaked storyboard of the death scene - she reveals the name before stating 'You are the most gorgeous...' and dying. I think she is buried under rubble rather than shot. Silva comes to his end in the forest around 'Skyfall' which is ablaze from the explosion.

Huh? How was M intially planned to be killed off? And is she calling Silva 'gorgeous'? That's weird, she is supposed to be a mother figure to him not a love interest.

She is buried under rubble from the Skyfall explosion. Bond offers assistance to which she reveals her name and makes the gorgeous comment. Not sure how early the storyboards are.
  • She calls Bond gorgeous? A bit weird. I'm glad it was done the way it was. Daniel holding her is heartbreaking.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    A contribution from Purvis and Wade I bet.
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    edited February 2013 Posts: 642
    Just watched the Blu Ray and I have a whole new appreciation for this entry. Not one duff angle, not one wasted performance and a whole new take on Severine. Her quirky laugh, her subtle twitching almost mirrors Silva in a way that adds depth to her back story. Underused say some but wonderfully concise and alluring.
    The whole experience has been sublime.

In the cinema im so conscious of taking it all in, I miss the subtleties but wow this viewing has made me a very proud man.

The use of warmth and cold in equal measure stands out so much in this format and Daniel, whose portrayal in the cinema seemed slightly dour and sullen is actually fantastic given the privacy of a home viewing.

Superb.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The name 'Olivia' also appears on a leaked storyboard of the death scene - she reveals the name before stating 'You are the most gorgeous...' and dying. I think she is buried under rubble rather than shot. Silva comes to his end in the forest around 'Skyfall' which is ablaze from the explosion.

Huh? How was M intially planned to be killed off? And is she calling Silva 'gorgeous'? That's weird, she is supposed to be a mother figure to him not a love interest.

That, that's just crap. Thank you, John Logan. Who knows how much you gave to Skyfall to save it from being trash. I can bet all the best moments from the Tennyson scene to the ending climax were all Logan's ideas or things he had put into the script to fix stupid ideas that were previously there.

I think Haggis saved CR and QoS from being mediocre as well. I just can't trust P&W or judge their full skills since I don't know how much they almost ruined/contributed to the Craig films for the most part. Their previous scripts weren't stellar, so I assume Haggis and Logan saved these films and made them the dark/gritty/smart films they are (since it is weird for them to suddenly become good writers in a few years).
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    The name 'Olivia' also appears on a leaked storyboard of the death scene - she reveals the name before stating 'You are the most gorgeous...' and dying. I think she is buried under rubble rather than shot. Silva comes to his end in the forest around 'Skyfall' which is ablaze from the explosion.

That, that's just crap. Thank you, John Logan. Who knows how much you gave to Skyfall to save it from being trash. I can bet all the best moments from the Tennyson scene to the ending climax were all Logan's ideas or things he had put into the script to fix stupid ideas that were previously there.

I think Haggis saved CR and QoS from being mediocre as well. I just can't trust P&W or judge their full skills since I don't know how much they almost ruined/contributed to the Craig films for the most part. Their previous scripts weren't stellar, so I assume Haggis and Logan saved these films and made them the dark/gritty/smart films they are (since it is weird for them to suddenly become good writers in a few years).

I wouldn't assume everything from the ending comes directly from Logan. Remember that when Bardem started to shoot everyone realized what a great characther they had. So together with Bardem and Logan, Mende rewrote the ending with lines that Bardem wanted to use. And then i guess they thought about the end one more time with those lines and then had the end result!
  • I can finally say I am the proud owner of the Skyfall Blu-ray Steelbook. Lovely collectable to add to the collection but the main event is the Blu-ray itself which is fantastic. Watched it with my wife tonight, well I did, she feel asleep! I forgive her however, she did make the effort to see it twice with me at the cinema and loved it. I may have to suggest we watch it again tomorrow as she missed most of it!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    A wife's burden, eh ;-)
  • doubleoego wrote:
    A wife's burden, eh ;-)

Sometimes she gives me that impression, that its a burden and not a joy. I'm certain I almost catch her rolling her eyes at me when I get excited over Bond. It is my duty as a loving husband to share my passion one way or another!
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?

I would love to see a Purvis and Wade only Skyfall script and the Logan re-write script, to compare the two.
    Mallory wrote:

I would love to see a Purvis and Wade only Skyfall script and the Logan re-write script, to compare the two.

Exactly! As I said earlier, I can't critique P&W or Haggis and Logan for anything until I see what they each contributed or helped remove from the Craig era Bond scripts.
    I can see a 2 disc dvd coming as lack of extras on the one disc
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 1,407
    largo2 wrote:
    I can see a 2 disc dvd coming as lack of extras on the one disc

Sorry my friend but the days of 2 disc DVDs are done. All part of the plan for Blu Ray
  • Sat watching my free digital copy of Skfall on my iPod Touch whilst my little son watches his cartoons on the tv. Saved by modern technology. Thank you!!
  • Received mine a couple of days ago, albeit later than I should have. First thing I did was pop the Bluray in the Bond 50 boxes I have. Ever so slightly disappointed it didn't match the rest of the set. I hope we don't end up with further release that does match........
  • Received mine a couple of days ago, albeit later than I should have. First thing I did was pop the Bluray in the Bond 50 boxes I have. Ever so slightly disappointed it didn't match the rest of the set. I hope we don't end up with further release that does match........

Knowing that it doesn't match, does it devalue the Blu-ray Boxset from a style and collecting point of view? I haven't bought the set yet as I'm waiting for it to come down further in price but I might now wait for a reissue with all the films including Skyfall in a new Boxset bundle.

• RC7RC7
    It doesn't bother me as it's on a page of it's own with the bonus disc. Plus, I don't have OCD. If they bring out another, I'd buy it, but purely from a collecting standpoint. I've not lost sleep over the white disc.
  • No, I don't think it devalues it at all. Guess I'd have just liked to have it all the same. When the boxset was released we were obviously told there'd be a space for Skyfall and I may have had the slight assumption, not sure on others, it would have been produced to match.

However, as I've said, it doesn't devalue what is a lovely boxset.......
  • I'll get this set then most likely. What arethe Blu-ray interactive menus like for the Blu-ray classic series? Is it a complete departure from the Ultimate DVD set, with the ladies walking on the stepping stone discs to the music of the specific film? Just curious.
  • Nothing like that I'm afraid. Just snippets from the movie with standard menu........