Die Hard (1988 - present)

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    If this movie bombs as it appears to be by the reviews seen thus far then will we ever get to see another Die Hard movie? Will the powers that be take the risk on what could be a further flop? Personally I can't see anyone other than Willis in the role but maybe a remake of the original with a new lead could be its best hope of a decent future?

It should do well enough and get near $400 milion with any luck. Overseas it'll be big enough success.

No point recasting. The series ends with this film or do one more and leave it there.

Don't beat the horse any more than it's already been whipped.
  • They really have dropped the ball, I mean that one-eyed Islam fanatic in Algeria might be a good type foil for Bruce, esp in a Taken scenario. Bingo!

Or a Nicolas Sarkozy type.

Hard to recast, it's not like Bond with lots of trappings like tux, vodka martini, Bond JB catchphrase (though he does have one), car, gadgets etc. It really is just Bruce.
  • Fair point about not the best idea to recast. As I said in my previous post, I can't see anyone other than Bruce. I guess Bond (lucky for us = more movies) can be recast but the likes of McClane and Indy will die off when the original leads can no longer or are not willing to do the job.

Shame, as for me after Bond, Indy and McClane are right up there as action heroes.
  • Well, I've just seen it, and I liked it. Not the best movie, and certainly one of the worst Die Hard films, but I enjoyed it not the less.

I liked that McClane was more like he was in the original; complaining about jet lag, teasing his son, being sceptical, not really taking the bad guys serious. I also liked the story, the locations, and especially the score! Jai Courtney surprised me as McClane Jr.
    I wasn't convinced that he'd make a good McClane (I'm probably going to get shot down for this, but I was rooting for Justin Timberlake to get the part) but he was great!

The bad comes from (at times) poor dialog, McClane's comments really being hit-and-miss, and not too witty, and the piss-poor directing. With Wiseman on the 4th they found somebody that truly loved Die Hard, and made a movie in the vain of Die Hard, but with this one it felt that John Moore was really just doing his take on Bourne or some thing, while the rest of the crew where trying to make a Die Hard film. Also, the film's action was quite frantic, which I think is half because of how it was directed, and half of how it was directed. Willis occasionally also seemed bored, like Connery was in YOLT.

I think with a script polish (especially dialog, maybe by John Logan) and a better director it could have been one of the better Die Hards, but as it stands it remains a good cinema experience, but a sup-par Die Hard adventure.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I would really enjoy getting a top-notch screenwriter and director for the sixth film, and just bring John back to his roots: small location, heavily outnumbered, and he has to overcome the odds to save the day.
    Maybe a reporter on TV doubting McClaine saying "he did it over 25 years ago but can he do it again? He's much older now" may help bring things back home, for the end.

Films 3 and 4 are in some ways the same, 2 and 5 are similar in aspects, so next film 6 should parallel film 1, if that makes any sense at all.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 816
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I would really enjoy getting a top-notch screenwriter and director for the sixth film, and just bring John back to his roots: small location, heavily outnumbered, and he has to overcome the odds to save the day.

Kinda like the ending of Skyfall? :D Actually, thinking of that, there are two moments in recent Bond films where Bond felt more like McClane than McClane did :) One was the ending of Skyfall, the other was breaking up the Quantum meeting at Tosca in QoS

What about Die Hard 6 is about a family reunion for the McClanes, in some fancy hotel or something, that then gets attacked by terrorist and John had to save his recently reunited family? Jack could do some spy shit and try and escape and sabotage the terrorist from within and stuff, but John would be on his own

Well that's the story cracked, perfect! Really, that's great and all there need be.

The problem is, God only knows what we'll get. Now, you fear the worst.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    They should use this hotel.

dubaj.JPG
    oh man I actualy thought this might be fun but after these reviews.... I actually liked 4 (though I still say 3 is the best largely because Jermy Irons is brilliant and MADE the film) I am going to see it next thursday but man I hope its not THAT Bad
  • They should use this hotel.

dubaj.JPG

Perfect, alright Hollywood, give us a few million and we'll make you a proper Die Hard film :D

• edited February 2013 Posts: 183

[img][/img]

Perfect, alright Hollywood, give us a few million and we'll make you a proper Die Hard film :D

I'm seeing number 5 on Saturday, but yes - this is all a new Die Hard needs - John McClane in a building, taking them out one by one. Make him scared about things - after all he is just an ordinary bloke, he even cries in the first film, and that's what the last two (I'm presuming) is missing - John's humanity
  • TPM007 wrote:

[img][/img]

I'm seeing number 5 on Saturday, but yes - this is all a new Die Hard needs - John McClane in a building, taking them out one by one. Make him scared about things - after all he is just an ordinary bloke, he even cries in the first film, and that's what the last two (I'm presuming) is missing - John's humanity

He has a bit more humanity/ is a bit more scared about things in the 5th, he's pretty chicken about going to
    Chernobyl
    , which is actually one of the good scenes in the film
    TPM007 wrote:

[img][/img]

He has a bit more humanity/ is a bit more scared about things in the 5th, he's pretty chicken about going to
    Chernobyl
    , which is actually one of the good scenes in the film

I didn't peek at the spoiler (even when I quoted you), but I'm glad to hear it - I have higher hopes about Saturday!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

dubaj.JPG

Dubai would be a great location. I'd rather see a Bond film there, though.
  • Alright, talking to some of you about Die Hard 6, I got very inspired, and decided to just put what my Die Hard 6 would look like to paper.

I haven't gotten that much yet, but here's the story I've worked out so far:

- John wakes up at home, with an attractive British woman with him. This is his girlfriend, Jodie. Jodie tries to talk him into not going, because se doesn’t understand why he’d travel miles and miles to see his ex-wife. John responds that family is important, and he’s going to see his kids.
    - The plane sets down in Dubai. McClane gets his baggage from the checkpoint. This is where the title comes in.
    - John meets with Lucy and Jack in the arrival hall. They exchange some pleasantries. John asks where their mothers is, to which they respond that she wanted to stay at the hotel. This bothers John.
    - As they drive to the hotel, John and his kids discuss the new Nakatomi business that’s being resurrected in Dubai.
    - They arrive at the hotel, and John spots a van he doesn’t trust. Jack and Lucy comment that he’s getting paranoid.
    - Inside, John finally meets Holly. They are a little awkward and restricted towards each other, but finally they do start talking.
    - John investigates his hotel room. He’s amazed at the luxury of it.
    - John knocks on Holly’s door. She lets him in, at first he discusses the luxury and how she affords it, but quickly he asks her why their relationship didn’t work. Holly doesn’t like the conversation and sends him back to his room.
    - Lucy and Jack are at the pool, and they discuss their parents. We also learn that Jack occasionally still does work for the CIA, but is more of a sleeper agent now. He notices the van is still parked, but before he can voice any suspicion they are picked up by Holly.
    - John decides he has jet-lag, and that’s why he talked to Holly, and tries to get some sleep.
    - Holly and the kids are brought to their table, and order some drinks. Holly comments Jack is just like his father when he orders a beer instead of anything fancy.
    - Outside, a black Mercedes pulls up next to the van. A man exits, and knocks on the van. The backdoor is opened. Inside the van is full of computers and surveillance equipment. It turns out they are MI6-agents protecting someone. The man is their partner, and they trust him, but he turns out to be a double, and shoots them. He walks to the car, whistling, and drives to the underground parking structure.
    - He meets up with a van, from which terrorist exit. They all head for the hotel entrance.
    - John is still trying to sleep. Unable to do so, he opens the mini-bar and finds some bottles of liquor that he drowns. He comments that Holly isn’t going to be pleased, and crashes back on the bed. He misses a text from Holly asking where he is.
    - The terrorists storm the building. Jack tries to fight some of them off, but without weapons he doesn’t get very far.
    - John wakes up from the noise of gunfire. He curses his bad luck, and tries to see what’s going on out of the window. He can’t see anything.
    - The terrorist group all the people they captured in the middle of a ballroom, and explain that they are looking for a certain individual, and that, as long as they don’t get in the way, nobody will get hurt. They repeat this message over the hotel’s speaker system. John isn’t impressed.
    - The terrorist destroy the door-lock system, so nobody can enter or exit a room. John swears loudly as he finds out he doesn’t have his gun with him. He realizes that Jack’s room is next door and that he might have been able to smuggle something with him.
    - John destroys his window, climbs onto a ledge and after some acrobatics he gets to Jack’s room. He searches the room and finds a Beretta with some ammo. He praises his son.

In the end I want the bad guys to be British (so we can have Patrick Steward as a villain), the British girl in the beginning has been sleeping with McClane to get information about the new Nakatomi project, and that's what the bad guys are after. But I haven't really figured out what that is and why they want it yet.
    After all the recent poor reviews I can only now think of one reason for watching Die Hard 5...

good-day-to-die-hard-yuliya-snigir.jpg

...Yuliya Snigir

How is she in the movie, @thelivingroyale?
  • mdo007mdo007 Katy, Texas
    bondsum wrote:
    After all the recent poor reviews I can only now think of one reason for watching Die Hard 5...

good-day-to-die-hard-yuliya-snigir.jpg

...Yuliya Snigir

How is she in the movie, @thelivingroyale?

I hope EON paying attention because Yuliya has Bond girl potential for Bond 24 or 25.

I like Mark Kermode's comments. Seems to be spot on. The same was true for Die Hard 4.0 too

Alright, talking to some of you about Die Hard 6, I got very inspired, and decided to just put what my Die Hard 6 would look like to paper.

I haven't gotten that much yet, but here's the story I've worked out so far:

- John wakes up at home, with an attractive British woman with him. This is his girlfriend, Jodie. Jodie tries to talk him into not going, because se doesn’t understand why he’d travel miles and miles to see his ex-wife. John responds that family is important, and he’s going to see his kids.
    - The plane sets down in Dubai. McClane gets his baggage from the checkpoint. This is where the title comes in.
    - John meets with Lucy and Jack in the arrival hall. They exchange some pleasantries. John asks where their mothers is, to which they respond that she wanted to stay at the hotel. This bothers John.
    - As they drive to the hotel, John and his kids discuss the new Nakatomi business that’s being resurrected in Dubai.
    - They arrive at the hotel, and John spots a van he doesn’t trust. Jack and Lucy comment that he’s getting paranoid.
    - Inside, John finally meets Holly. They are a little awkward and restricted towards each other, but finally they do start talking.
    - John investigates his hotel room. He’s amazed at the luxury of it.
    - John knocks on Holly’s door. She lets him in, at first he discusses the luxury and how she affords it, but quickly he asks her why their relationship didn’t work. Holly doesn’t like the conversation and sends him back to his room.
    - Lucy and Jack are at the pool, and they discuss their parents. We also learn that Jack occasionally still does work for the CIA, but is more of a sleeper agent now. He notices the van is still parked, but before he can voice any suspicion they are picked up by Holly.
    - John decides he has jet-lag, and that’s why he talked to Holly, and tries to get some sleep.
    - Holly and the kids are brought to their table, and order some drinks. Holly comments Jack is just like his father when he orders a beer instead of anything fancy.
    - Outside, a black Mercedes pulls up next to the van. A man exits, and knocks on the van. The backdoor is opened. Inside the van is full of computers and surveillance equipment. It turns out they are MI6-agents protecting someone. The man is their partner, and they trust him, but he turns out to be a double, and shoots them. He walks to the car, whistling, and drives to the underground parking structure.
    - He meets up with a van, from which terrorist exit. They all head for the hotel entrance.
    - John is still trying to sleep. Unable to do so, he opens the mini-bar and finds some bottles of liquor that he drowns. He comments that Holly isn’t going to be pleased, and crashes back on the bed. He misses a text from Holly asking where he is.
    - The terrorists storm the building. Jack tries to fight some of them off, but without weapons he doesn’t get very far.
    - John wakes up from the noise of gunfire. He curses his bad luck, and tries to see what’s going on out of the window. He can’t see anything.
    - The terrorist group all the people they captured in the middle of a ballroom, and explain that they are looking for a certain individual, and that, as long as they don’t get in the way, nobody will get hurt. They repeat this message over the hotel’s speaker system. John isn’t impressed.
    - The terrorist destroy the door-lock system, so nobody can enter or exit a room. John swears loudly as he finds out he doesn’t have his gun with him. He realizes that Jack’s room is next door and that he might have been able to smuggle something with him.
    - John destroys his window, climbs onto a ledge and after some acrobatics he gets to Jack’s room. He searches the room and finds a Beretta with some ammo. He praises his son.

In the end I want the bad guys to be British (so we can have Patrick Steward as a villain), the British girl in the beginning has been sleeping with McClane to get information about the new Nakatomi project, and that's what the bad guys are after. But I haven't really figured out what that is and why they want it yet.

I say put a cameo for Al Powell in there for good measure!
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 816
    TPM007 wrote:
    I say put a cameo for Al Powell in there for good measure!

funny you should say that, because I was thinking about having a scene where McClane could give one person a call, and he calls Al.

EDIT: I'm trying to work out a full story, but it's harder than I thought to write a coherent Die Hard story that doesn't just copy the first, and makes sense!

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    If they returned to the original form, with John against massive opposition and in a small setting, the film could be called Bad Habits Die Hard, and would be the perfect finale the series deserves.
  • If they returned to the original form, with John against massive opposition and in a small setting, the film could be called Bad Habits Die Hard, and would be the perfect finale the series deserves.

I like 'Old Habits Die Hard' a bit better :)
    @TPM007, sounds unique, with a lot of nods to the original 'Die Hard,' but there's quite a few bits of 'Taken 2' in there: hotel, talking by a pool, scaling a balcony to acquire weapons in a room down the hall.
    If they returned to the original form, with John against massive opposition and in a small setting, the film could be called Bad Habits Die Hard, and would be the perfect finale the series deserves.

I like 'Old Habits Die Hard' a bit better :)
    That's great too!
    edited February 2013 Posts: 40,490
    In all honesty, with all of the absymal, negative reviews that have been coming out for this film, I may go against my norm and pass on this movie. Save myself $30 on a ticket for my girlfriend and I, plus snacks. I'll just Redbox it or watch it online or something when the proper time comes. I've heard there are numerous editing problems, and that's a make-or-break choice for me.

Appears it wasn't 100% because of the clips of the film, after all.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    In all honesty, with all of the absymal, negative reviews that have been coming out for this film, I may go against my norm and pass on this movie. Save myself $30 on a ticket for my girlfriend and I, plus snacks. I'll just Redbox it or watch it online or something when the proper time comes. I've heard there are numerous editing problems, and that's a make-or-break choice for me.

Appears it wasn't 100% because of the clips of the film, after all.
    I will wait for the release and find it online. I wasn't excited for it in the first place, and when Mark Kermode said he fell asleep during this film, that sealed the deal for me. He eloquently described the film by making a bunch of explosion noises in rapid succession. Judging from what I have seen, he isn't far off the mark...

...Kermode...

Sorry for crappy pun...

*Rushes out in a flash*
    It just really doesn't seem worth it. Such a shame that the films are getting farther and farther away from the simplistic formula I so intensely enjoyed in the first one. It cannot be beat.
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    @TPM007, sounds unique, with a lot of nods to the original 'Die Hard,' but there's quite a few bits of 'Taken 2' in there: hotel, talking by a pool, scaling a balcony to acquire weapons in a room down the hall.

Yeah, I know it has a bit of a 'Taken 2' vibe to it, I'm kinda working on the story right now. I've written 11 pages of an experimental draft of the screenplay :) I'll keep you guys posted. It's not only harder than I thought to write a Die Hard story, it's also pretty damn hard to write for McClane. Only very little of the dialog I've written right now feels like it'd come out of Willis' mouth :D But I love working on projects like this, seeing if I could do better than (in this case) Skip Woods

Creasy47 wrote:

Yeah, I know it has a bit of a 'Taken 2' vibe to it, I'm kinda working on the story right now. I've written 11 pages of an experimental draft of the screenplay :) I'll keep you guys posted. It's not only harder than I thought to write a Die Hard story, it's also pretty damn hard to write for McClane. Only very little of the dialog I've written right now feels like it'd come out of Willis' mouth :D But I love working on projects like this, seeing if I could do better than (in this case) Skip Woods
    I wonder how much improvisation Bruce does as John. It seems like the role is more reactionary than following a script outline of dialogue after all. Bruce can do that stuff well too, I reckon.