Sean Connery set to join fellow James Bond actors at the Oscars

Comments

• edited January 2013 Posts: 6,601
    That's how I will remember Sean too, @thelivingroyale.

Just because he inevitably is this:
    o-SEAN-CONNERY-570.jpg?4

Doesn't change the fact that he was and always will be THIS to millions:
    Dr+No+James+Bond+Sean+Connery.jpg

But, enough on the subject.

Brady, you are very young and often mature, but not always. The pic of the older Sean is fine and seeing him like this would not be a problem. its the way people move, people speak, that shows their age. on South Bank you could hardly hear him. You guys are so obsessed with your vision of the get together, that you want it neve mind what. Sir Roger is off way better and that will show on stage. He is old, too, but still exudes some energy and that is what counts, not looks. People will feel pity, IF he really went on from South Bank. But who knows, maybe he is fine and its all good.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Thanks for the compliment, @Germanlady, and also the slap of reality. I respect your thoughts, and we will just have to see how the pieces fall into place here. Maybe the Bond actors will all show, maybe they won't. That doesn't change the fact that I respect you as a member on this site and don't wish to belittle your opinions or posts just because I disagree. Entschuldigung.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Tuulia wrote:
    ^^ Nice to know I'm not the only one not exactly excited by the idea. I'm more worried about the possibility (if it exists) of a forced, awkward "reunion" (wrong word, actually, since some of them have never even met each other) than about it not happening. I suppose it might work, but I'm not at all sure about it. Sounds like a weird catwalk parade to me - and not in a good way.

I quite agree. Can someone explain exactly why this is such a great idea? I mean what do you expect them to do? Sing a barbershop version of Skyfall in support of Adele?

All I can imagine is them standing there awkwardly answering a few innane questions from an equally innane interviewer before shuffling off. The word naff springs to mind.

The time for this to happen was the premiere but as Tuulia says now it has a sense of becoming some weird freakshow; just wheeling them out to be looked at for no apparent purpose as far as I can discern.

I also agree with Germanlady. Lets leave the bloke alone in his dotage. What are you people who are demanding Sean shows up at the oscars going to say whe we roll around to the 60th?

If Sean and Rog are still hanging on will you want them to turn up in their 90s along with the other 4 and the new Bond just so you can gawp at their picture in the Sun in the morning?
    Thanks for the compliment, @Germanlady, and also the slap of reality. I respect your thoughts, and we will just have to see how the pieces fall into place here. Maybe the Bond actors will all show, maybe they won't. That doesn't change the fact that I respect you as a member on this site and don't wish to belittle your opinions or posts just because I disagree. Entschuldigung.

Thanks Brady, nice of you and Entschuldigung is accepted, of course. Its never easy to do that and I very much respect you for that.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    I'd be so glad to watch a video of 007's at the Oscars 2013 ! Sean Connery must join. It will be the only chance for him to be under the spotlight again. Alongside other fellows, wouldn't it be nice ?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'd be so glad to watch a video of 007's at the Oscars 2013 ! Sean Connery must join. It will be the only chance for him to be under the spotlight again. Alongside other fellows, wouldn't it be nice ?

He's retired from acting; He isn't looking to be 'under the spotlight' again.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Some people just don't understand that they are flogging a dead horse with this one as a few have already said what is this exactly going to prove?

Apart from looking a bit awkward and maybe get a few Bond fans a little wet at the prospect.
    i'am not so sure how this event would go....even if they all did turn up..........i mean Lazenby and Brosnan aint exactly bosom pals are they?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'm just happy with getting a tribute at the oscars. I'm not bothered about any of the actors being there tbh.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    yes for once I will have to watch the entire oscars- don't want to miss this or adele.
    Well, if anything comes up this, it's confirmed that Brosnan will not be attending:

http://www.tmz.com/2013/02/11/james-bond-oscars-reunion-pierce-brosnan-video/
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Well, if anything comes up this, it's confirmed that Brosnan will not be attending:

I wouldn't exactly call it a TMZ scoop considering Pierce didn't really say yes or no in any identifiable way. As if this is going to happen anyway, so what does it matter?
    IF it is happening, everyone will deny it to the very end so while I'm not expecting it to happen, I'm not giving up hope either
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    bondbat007 wrote:
    IF it is happening, everyone will deny it to the very end so while I'm not expecting it to happen, I'm not giving up hope either

That is a very good point, yes. Man I am so confused. After all that has gone on in the past, I still doubt it can happen and will have low expectations no matter what so I lose absolutely nothing.

Pierce did seem very cheeky about the whole thing though...

If this does happen then wouldn't they all have to be kept backstage until their curtain call? That makes you think the Academy producers would have them go up early on in the program.
    The only things I care about come Oscar night are, Bassey and Adele's performances and of course the rest of the tribute. I don't care about tge all the Bond actors attending, heck, I don't even care about the nominations. However, whatever wins SF gets that's great but my only focus that evening is for everyone watching and fir this attending having to witness a tribute to the greatest film series of all time.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    MGW said in the BAFTAs red carpet that the tribute at the Oscars is very under wraps and he has no idea of what will happen. I was surprised to hear that but he seemed genuine. We'll find out in a couple of weeks.
    Creasy47 wrote:

I wouldn't exactly call it a TMZ scoop considering Pierce didn't really say yes or no in any identifiable way. As if this is going to happen anyway, so what does it matter?

I gave a TMZ link because that's where I spotted the interview. I'm not praising the idiots that work there, just figured I'd post it here for all to read. Apologies.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    You did well @Creasy47, you found something and posted it. To draw conclusions from there is a bit too much, but hey!
    Sandy wrote:
    You did well @Creasy47, you found something and posted it. To draw conclusions from there is a bit too much, but hey!

Well thank you! I figured it was nice to hear something about this mysterious, yet slight, possibility.
    I've always found the moments where they brought out Sean and Rog a bit cheesy. May be it will just be Dan this year?
  • We do take it for granted that Connery 'created' James Bond, in that his mannerisms, his way of walking, the adjusting the cufflinks (all sent up by Dujardin in his spoof films), they are all from him, not Fleming. It's a fine acting performance, but quite natural. Of course Young's input was invaluable.

And I would say that some actors have 'created' their Bond: Moore was another and I would say Craig is too, while others just 'play' Bond - they don the tux, and hope for the best. I'd put Lazenby in that category, Dalton too perhaps and Brosnan. I feel that if Cavill were to take the role, he would also. Kind of 'Hey, I look like Bond, so play it cool and don't stretch yourself'. For Connery didn't feel he was much like Bond to start with (Fleming's snob of the books), Moore didn't feel he was anything like Connery, and Craig, well, he never saw himself as Bond because of his looks, so had to work a bit harder when it came into the frame.
  • Why not Ursula Andress and Eunice Gayson? And Ms Taro. With Connery in the middle of 'em, that would be great! Though a bit creaky.

They could then have Moore with his debut gals, Jane Seymour and so on. Dalton still gets on with D'Abo... okay, just an idea.
    The actress who played Ms Taro died a couple years back.
  • p1219.jpg

"Feeling bad, Paulfry?"
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Why not Ursula Andress and Eunice Gayson? And Ms Taro. With Connery in the middle of 'em, that would be great! Though a bit creaky.

They could then have Moore with his debut gals, Jane Seymour and so on. Dalton still gets on with D'Abo... okay, just an idea.

Why not just everyone whos ever been in a Bond film ever?

Could even drag Gert Frobe, Bernard Lee and Desmond Llewelyn up in their coffins. Why not Fleming and Cubby too while we're at it?

Why is seeing a load of old people who dont know each other standing awkwardly on a stage like some sort of exhibit from a Victorian frak show the best tribute to Bond anyone can think of?
    I think a nicely put together series of clips and a couple of live songs would be just about right.
  • jka12002jka12002 Banned
    Ahh i can see it now.....

Connery : "well it is an honor to be here tonight with these fellow men celebrating such a wonderful franchise legacy.....but before we get to that, let me share a little story about that no good cheapskate ratface Albert R Brocccoli....."

*All the other actors run over and cover his mouth*
  • hoppimikehoppimike Kent, UK
    edited February 2013 Posts: 290
    jka12002 wrote:
    Ahh i can see it now.....

Connery : "well it is an honor to be here tonight with these fellow men celebrating such a wonderful franchise legacy.....but before we get to that, let me share a little story about that no good cheapskate ratface Albert R Brocccoli....."

*All the other actors run over and cover his mouth*

0653_homer-eating-popcorn-small-c7873.JPG

That would be awesome lol, not least because of Connery's amazing accent :D

He could say anything and make it sound classy and smooth!
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

I gave a TMZ link because that's where I spotted the interview. I'm not praising the idiots that work there, just figured I'd post it here for all to read. Apologies.

Oh no, the apologies are mine, @Creasy47. That comment wasn't directed at you at all, but more myself speaking out loud to many people in this world of ours who are directly assuming that Pierce said he absolutely wouldn't attend when in all actuality he barely made a peep.

Thanks for posting it, and sorry for seeming like I was taking a bite out of you. :)
  • Would love to see the Bond brothers appear at the Oscars. Sean Connery does not want to do it, but it is not about him alone. Would hope some of the other Bond actors would appear on Oscar night. It would be a way to honor these men, the fans and the franchise.