Q & Miss Moneypenny have returned

Comments

The new Q might be gay. Equally, he could've been gay in the old films. But I don't want to find out because I don't think they should explore Qs personal life at all.

They should keep it simple. Q is the old (altough that's gone out the window now) gadget master who is there for comedy, has lots of banter with Bond but cares about him.

But as you say sir... Q is now a young modern man!! Totally removed from what old Desmond was in the character!! I think it would be a really good undercurrent to have, a guessing game!! One of which Dan's Bond could carry off well, being Dan/Bond is all geezer!!? Lol!
    :P
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I think they've messed with the character more than enough now. I don't need them to start showing Qs sexuality. Just keep it simple.
    I think they've messed with the character more than enough now. I don't need them to start showing Qs sexuality. Just keep it simple.

But it's an all new start, new Q, for a new Bond!!? His not Des or Cleese, thank goodness!! And really.... The character Q hasn't been messed with at all!! I feel it would be a very clever angle to have with both Bond and Q... Subtle and clever!!! And with good writing from Logan would work well in this all new Bond!!

By the way.... Surely "Sexuality" in this day and age is... Simple!!? ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I find Q to be a man in love with his work, that's his marriage. When he has that, what greater love could there be?
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 5,745
    Penguin wrote:

But it's an all new start, new Q, for a new Bond!!? His not Des or Cleese, thank goodness!! And really.... The character Q hasn't been messed with at all!! I feel it would be a very clever angle to have with both Bond and Q... Subtle and clever!!! And with good writing from Logan would work well in this all new Bond!!

Yes but they hinted at the gay thing with Bond and Bardem, if Bond starts flirting with Q I think it will be less like playing with Q's character and more like Eon screaming "HEY, WE'RE POLITICALLY CORRECT EVERYBODY! SEE; GAY VILLAIN NOW GAY Q."

If there is a need for Q to be gay, sure, but there isn't. He's a minor character, who usually only has between 2-8 minutes of screen time. That's how it should be.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Penguin wrote:

Yes but they hinted at the gay thing with Bond and Bardem, if Bond starts flirting with Q I think it will be less like playing with Q's character and more like Eon screaming "HEY, WE'RE POLITICALLY CORRECT EVERYBODY! SEE; GAY VILLAIN NOW GAY Q."

If there is a need for Q to be gay, sure, but there isn't. He's a minor character, who usually only has between 2-8 minutes of screen time. That's how it should be.

Hey.... It wouldn't have to be that a big deal!! Just subtle and as I said a clever little Q and Bond undercurrent!!
    Just a hint.... Not SHOUTING, I'm Q for Queer!!? Lol! ;)
    I'm just saying, to suddenly have a gay character in 3 consecutive films after 18 without a gay character would kind of be shouting.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I'm just saying, to suddenly have a gay character in 3 consecutive films after 18 without a gay character would kind of be shouting.

Not at all!! You can be whatever you like today, with a "shout" not in sight!! Clever writing and well played it would be great!! A very clever, utterly modern take on who and what people all around us are ....different!!! After all Ben is... So why not his Q!? X.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 135
    Make Q gay.... I actually really like this idea! I don't think Q should flirt with bond at all though. Bond doesn't really seem to me like Q's type. And i definitely don't think they should make Q's sexuality his defining characteristic. Maybe just have a shot with him and his presumed boyfriend or whatever.

Unfortunately this might set off all the homophobes like Silva did.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 1,310
    Okay, seriously.

From a James Bond filmmaking perspective, making 'Q' gay is COMPLETELY and ENTIRELY unnecessary. He's the gadget guy. He gives out the gadgets, gets a few quips and that's that. There is absolutely no reason to go into Q's love life in any way - gay or straight.

...And this is coming from someone who believes that Silva is the greatest Bond villain of all time so don't get on me for being a homophobe.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Bond: "Pay attention, Q! And keep your eyes off my perfectly formed arse!" :))
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited January 2013 Posts: 5,997
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

CR: Le Chiffre. SF: Silva. Am I missing a gay character in QoS?

Not to mention Onnatop ("Wait your turn"), Wint, Kidd, possibly DAF's Blofeld, possibly Bunt, Galore, Klebb...plus there was some sort of vibe between Graves and Zao.

Would be nice to have a gay character who is not a villain, for once.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I don't get a gay vibe at all from Le Chiffre.
    I don't think Le Chiffre is gay. His line during the torture scene "such a waste" doesn't confirm this. It's plausible that Onatopp and DAF Blofeld could be, but I think Klebb, Wint, Kidd and Silva are the only confirmed gay villains.
    Vargas from TB comes to mind too. Largo says he doesn't drink, smoke, or make love, and I feel like they were nudging us in that direction for some reason. I don't know, it just feels weird that they would include a line like that unless they were making some point.
    ...unless they were making some point.

'I think he got the point.'

echo wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

CR: Le Chiffre. SF: Silva. Am I missing a gay character in QoS?

Not to mention Onnatop ("Wait your turn"), Wint, Kidd, possibly DAF's Blofeld, possibly Bunt, Klebb...plus there was some sort of vibe between Graves and Zao.

Would be nice to have a gay character who is not a villain, for once.

I meant Q for Skyfall, Bond 24, and Bond 25. As the three consecutive.
    My understanding was that when Largo says Vargas "does not make love", he means Vargas lived a life free of sexual activity. I guess it's open to interpretation.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 135
    SJK91 wrote:
    Okay, seriously.

From a James Bond filmmaking perspective, making 'Q' gay is COMPLETELY and ENTIRELY unnecessary. He's the gadget guy. He gives out the gadgets, gets a few quips and that's that. There is absolutely no reason to go into Q's love life in any way - gay or straight.

...And this is coming from someone who believes that Silva is the greatest Bond villain of all time so don't get on me for being a homophobe.

I think that with the current direction of making the Bond films more character-driven, delving into Q's personal life briefly might add a little more characterization and make him less of a stock character.

The Craig films have been great at pulling up backstory and enriching characters:
    Dench's M's past with Silva,
    Fienne's M being tortured by the IRA
    Moneypenny being a field agent
    Bond being an orphan/visiting his childhood home.

I'm not saying Q MUST ABSOLUTELY be made gay. But if it turned out he was, I think it would make his character more dynamic and interesting. And i'm only suggesting a scene similar to the one of M in bed with her hubby in CR, only in Bond 24 it should be Q and his beau. ;) I agree with you that Q's personal life doesn't need too much screen time.

And i don't think you're a homophobe.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited January 2013 Posts: 5,997
    I'm trying to remember if we learned anything about M and Q's personal lives (beyond butterflies and speedboats) when it was Lee and Llewellyn...did either wear wedding rings?

Personal lives in the office didn't seem to come up until the Brosnan era, when M mentioned her children.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 14,018
    ^ There was this one time with M in Tokyo... ;)
    I just now remembered that we even learned in SF that Q is afraid of flying. Q is a computer geek. Q is afraid of flying. Q might be gay. I think it's these little details that can turn the "gadget guy" into more of a believable and interesting character.
    Agent005 wrote:
    ...unless they were making some point.

'I think he got the point.'

Left myself open for that one...

Well played, sir. :-\"
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited January 2013 Posts: 11,139
    One has to be gay to be believable? Sorry but that's bullcrap. Q's character isn't big enough to explore his sexual preference anyway. The Bond movies should be spending their time trying to come up with a great plot and not trying to homosexualise characters for the sake of dumb, political recognition that serves no purpose at least not in a positive way anyway.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    doubleoego wrote:
    One has to be gay to be believable? Sorry but that's bullcrap. Q's character isn't big enough to explore his sexual preference anyway. The Bond movies should be spending their time trying to come up with a great plot and not trying to homosexualise characters for the sake of dumb, political recognition that serves no purpose at least not in a positive way anyway.

Bravo @doubleoego.

You know what this is reminding me? One day I saw in the news (I'm still clueless about why this was news) that JK Rowling announced one of the characters in the HP books/films was gay. After a while, again on the news (clueless again) that Rowling revealed it was Dumbledor who was gay. What relevance did this have to the story? None. The same thing with Q. I couldn't care less if Q is gay, if he dates older women, or if he prefers blonds over brunettes, as long as he knows his gadgets.
    Some people keep insisting Silva was gay. 8-| Every time I read that I wonder why, but oh well... I'm sure the reasons have been discussed here somewhere, I've just missed them and so continue to be puzzled as I saw no reason to think that myself.

I like Penguin's idea, as long as it was done subtly and not made a big deal of - he is "only" Q, after all, and I wouldn't want huge amount of time spent on him. It's obviously not necessary or anything, but it's certainly not a bad idea, either. I mean, why not? No big deal to me, either way. Penguin wasn't suggesting a big storyline about it. There could easily be something more to Q than computers and gadgets - there is to M and Moneypenny, so why not Q? It could be something else, too, obviously. Details about a character can be added in small ways, like was done with the new M. It doesn't have to be a big part of the movie, so people don't need to freak about about that.
    The new Q might be gay. Equally, he could've been gay in the old films. But I don't want to find out because I don't think they should explore Qs personal life at all.

Why bring this up???

• SJK91 wrote:
    Okay, seriously.

Thank you! Exactly what I was trying to say.
    SaintMark wrote:

Why bring this up???

@Penguin said he wanted Q to be gay, I didn't bring it up, I just responded.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Quick question, Is Craig the only Bond to have called MP, "Miss Moneypenny"?