Skyfall Wins Bond's First Grammy -Make That Two Grammy's

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Germanlady wrote:
    8 Oscars nods?
    THR's awards analyst believes the leaderboard will be topped by "Lincoln" (14), "Les Mis" (10), "Life of Pi" and "Skyfall" (8) and "Argo" and "Silver Linings" (6).
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/feinberg-forecast-scotts-final-picks-409651

I would be happy with this - although if Javier gets the nod then so should Judi as I actually thought she was better.

Shame theres not a best cameo as Albert Finney would be nailed on surely?
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    edited January 2013 Posts: 2,044
    Skyfall has yet been nominated as the best original song at the Academy Awards!

So... 1 oscar nomination as far as know. But i may have missed out the technical categories though!
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 4,619
    Skyfall got Oscar nominations in the following categories:
    Best Cinematography
    Best Original Score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Best Original Song
    Best Sound Editing
    Best Sound Mixing

http://oscar.go.com/nominees
    5 nominations in total.

Still think they could have used that last Best Picture spot for Skyfall. Shame about the Supporting Actors/Actresses
    Skyfall is the first Bond movie to receive an Oscar nomination since 1981 and it's the Bond film with the most nominations ever.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Skyfall got Oscar nominations in the following categories:
    Best Cinematography
    Best Original Score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Best Original Song
    Best Sound Editing
    Best Sound Mixing

http://oscar.go.com/nominees

Ah, that is indeed great!! I am happy that SF actually got nominated! And this makes SF the most nominated Bondfilm in Academy Award. That's a achievement in it's self.

Great work EoN!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,350
    That's a record. Splendid! A shame about the editing and you'd have thought one of the actors would have gotten one.

Let's win Cinematography and Song for another record now!
    For comparison: The Hobbit got 3 nominations, Avengers got 1 and The Dark Knight Rises didn't get any at all!
    Samuel001 wrote:
    That's a record. Splendid! A shame about the editing and you'd have thought one of the actors would have gotten one.

Yes, shame about the actors. Although Best Original Score is a big surprise!
    Go Adele and make Bond proud
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,350
    I think it's to do with how well it worked within the film. That may be a reason why it was chosen.

Skyfall awards wise is the most successful of all the Bond films. :D
    A tad underwhelming but hardly a shock.

Can seriously see SF walking away with 3 here - one of the sound ones, song and cinematography.

Throw in BAFTAs for sound, Judi and best British film and it wouldnt be too shabby a haul at the end of the day.
    Thats not a bad number. I always thought that Deakins was an odds on (who else has made a Bond movie look so stunning) , but he is up against some serious competition.
    Django Unchained
    Life of Pi
    Lincoln
    Anna Karenina
    Some stunning looking films in that list.
  • Okay, I'm really happy that we got so many nominations, I really are. But I would gladly have swapped them all out for a supporting actor nom for Bardem. He deserved it more than anyone, really.
    I'll put my head out and say that although I'd love Skyfall to win I don't expect that they will win any, unless they decide on doing what they've done in the past when others have gone so long without getting one and give it against the odds
  • I actually think the one Skyfall is most likely to win is for Original Song. Granted, I haven't heard any of the other nominees.
  • Good news!

However, is it very wrong as a Bond fan to prefer Skyfall not winning "Best Original Score"? I fear that Newman would be brought back too if he wins. I mean, I don't hate the score but I really think Arnold did some better work in the past.

Anyway, every nomination and every win is great!
    Only Best Picture nominees have more nominations this year than Skyfall.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 6,601
    I don't see a reason to be overwhelmed. Its basically awards for music. Big deal and unfortunately the one good category - Deakins - will loose against Pi, I believe.
    But I didn't expect any "good" Oscar nods. Just can't get excited about this.

*already digging my hole to hide* It needs to be deeep, I know X_X
    It's the best showing for Bond ever. How can that not be exciting? :-/
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Just saw the news. I think it's not by all means a bad number of nominations. I wasn't expecting any of the main categories although I think it deserved several others.
    Only Best Picture nominees have more nominations this year than Skyfall.
    Really? That's interesting.
    I honestly thought this may be the year for SF at the Oscars, including Best picture. I thought after 50 years of cinematic history, with Bond going stronger than ever at the BO and with the critics, this would have been the film for the Oscars to finally give the franchise the recognition it deserves.

But sadly not......and it is nothing short of a disgrace that the BAFTA's have snubbed it in the most important categories.
    There's always next time, he says, living in hope that it will happen. One day.
    I honestly thought this may be the year for SF at the Oscars, including Best picture. I thought after 50 years of cinematic history, with Bond going stronger than ever at the BO and with the critics, this would have been the film for the Oscars to finally give the franchise the recognition it deserves.

But sadly not......and it is nothing short of a disgrace that the BAFTA's have snubbed it in the most important categories.

Thanks you, Willy. But we are pretty much alone on this.
  • RC7RC7
    Germanlady wrote:
    I don't see a reason to be overwhelmed

It's a James Bond film being nominated for Oscars. That doesn't really happen. I don't think anyone is overwhelmed, just impressed.

The Oscars isn't a charity. There was no way on earth it was going to win best picture. Can you honestly say sit there, hand on heart, and say Skyfall was the best (not your favourite) film of the year?
    Samuel001 wrote:

Because its just the bla categories, at least three of them.
  • Samuel001 wrote:

Indeed. We don't get an Oscar nomination since 1982.
  • RC7RC7
    Germanlady wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Maybe you should tell the professionals whose job it is. You sound like a spoiled brat. Grow up.
    Germanlady wrote:
    I don't see a reason to be overwhelmed. Its basically awards for music. Big deal and unfortunately the one good category - Deakins - will loose against Pi, I believe.

First bit of sense you've spoken in 2 days Germanlady! :P
    [quote="RC7The Oscars isn't a charity. There was no way on earth it was going to win best picture. Can you honestly say sit there, hand on heart, and say Skyfall was the best (not your favourite) film of the year? [/quote]

Well from what I have read over time, for many it was or at least among them. With just 9 nods, they clearly decided against it though. Their good right.
    RC7 wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Maybe you should tell the professionals whose job it is. You sound like a spoiled brat. Grow up.

There are important categories and there are less important ones. These are the latter. I know, its your habit to attack everything I say, but if you get my initial meaning once in a while, you might stop before writing and think about it. Nobody would say, that sound editing is equal to the biggies, which get all the atttention. The rest? Who knows the winner after its all done? These are the categories, that are a nice addition to the big ones, no more IMO. but that's just me - but please restrain from calling me names. I would think, you feel too grown up for that.

Germanlady wrote:

First bit of sense you've spoken in 2 days Germanlady! :P
    Oh man, the boys are making me blush with their kindness :-*
    I suppose, you mean the part with digging a hole. B-)