Skyfall Wins Bond's First Grammy -Make That Two Grammy's

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Why so much negativity in here ever since the Oscar nominations were announced. I just don't understand. Perhaps it's time to explain how certain people involved in the production of 'Skyfall' feel after the announcement.

I shall tell you exactly how Daniel Craig feels right now. I'm certain he is not sad about not being nominated for an Oscar. No. I am pretty damn certain Daniel Craig put up a big smile on his face when he saw the list of Oscar nominations coming up.

A Bond film is not just a film in which one aspect, for instance music, is perfect and all other aspects, like acting, plot, etc. are shit. Doesn't work like that. A Bond film is all about team effort. Actually, it goes much further than that. It's one big family, from actors to producers, from sound mixers to music composers, from singers to cinematographers, from screenplay writers to production and clothing designers. THIS is what can make or break a Bond film. And the Broccoli's/Wilson's know that.

This is the reason why working on 'Skyfall' must have been such a great thrill ride for all people involved in the production of 'Skyfall'. Without a great plot, great action music could not have been made. Without the wunderful acting of Judi, Javier and Daniel, the producers would have lost some creative inspiration. Without perfect clothes, make-up, production design and wunderful locations, the actors would not have been acting so Fleming-esque.

I truly believe that, while Javier Bardem, Judi Dench, Michael G. Wilson & Barbara Broccoli are not nominated for an (Best Acting/Best Picture) Oscar, they must have been very close to be nominated. They were on all the prediction lists. And while they don't have an Oscar nomination, they did receive some other prestigious Award nominations that a Bond film never got before, like a Producers Guild Awards and a Screen Actors Guild Award.

So dear fans? You might consider how absolutely wunderful it is that 'Skyfall' got nominated for FIVE Oscars. It's a unique team effort that makes everyone within the Bond family smile. Except....except certain fans in here. And that saddens me. These FIVE Oscar nominations for me feel as one giant 12 m high 'Best Picture' Oscar made of pure gold. And not for ONE moment I would say things like "Uhhh, David Arnold deserved the nomination and not Thomas Newman." Pa-the-tic.

So dear fans, it's not that black and white. It's all interlinked. And please take in mind that these FIVE Oscar nominations for James Bond 007 are unique, historic and record-breaking.

Die Another Day?

And as for the rest- you think we're ignoring all those things? Don't be silly. We're just debating, it's what the boards were created for.
    Right CraigMoore. Some here feel, they need to lecture ALL the time and dismiss every other opinion. We are just voicing, what we think. Should be allowed. And much of what is said about NOT being all THAT happy is reflected in many articles etc. Some right here - just to show, its not out of this world nonsense to expect more and pleas stop saying it is.

Oscar voters still a snobby bunch
    And this year? Nine best picture categories again, a veritable thumbing of the Academy's collective nose to another Dark Knight movie, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (this after two Lord Of The Rings movies made the cut under the old rules), Skyfall, The Avengers and The Hunger Games.

I'm not one of those people who considers Skyfall "the best Bond film ever!" But I will say, if it can't crack the list under these circumstances, no James Bond movie ever will (unless it's directed by Terence Malick and features flashbacks to the beginning of time).
    http://www.torontosun.com/2013/01/10/oscar-voters-still-a-snobby-bunch

Bond foiled again in best picture Oscar mission
    LONDON - The latest James Bond movie “Skyfall” won five Oscar nominations on Thursday, the highest tally for a 007 picture, but the major categories including best picture once again eluded the franchise that has just celebrated its 50th anniversary.

Hopes had been raised by bookmakers and some film critics that one of Britain’s most lucrative and best-loved cultural exports would finally make his mark at the Academy Awards at the 23rd time of asking.

Skyfall, the first official Bond movie to make more than $1 billion at the box office, also won rave reviews from professionals and the public.
    http://www.torontosun.com/2013/01/10/bond-foiled-again-in-best-picture-oscar-mission
    (Although it must be said, its ridiculous, the Brits are complaining ater having done the very same thing themselves, which was way worse)

Biggest Oscar snubs, surprises
    2) Where the heck is Skyfall?
    Or The Dark Knight Rises, for that matter? Why do some blockbusterish movies, such as Django Unchained, for example, make the Best Picture list, and a smash hit such as Skyfall is overlooked? There's always blather about 'merit' in these cases, but last time we looked, Daniel Craig was a 'real' actor and Sam Mendes was a 'real' director. So what gives? At least the whole Skyfall crew is laughing all the way to the bank.

4) Where are the acting nominations for Dame Judi Dench and Javier Bardem?

Not to beat a dead horse on the subject of Skyfall or anything, but do we all agree that Jacki Weaver or Anne Hathaway are more deserving than Dame Judi Dench for a Best Supporting Actress nod? We do not. Do we see Javier Bardem as any less memorable on his Skyfall role than Alan Arkin in Argo, say, or Robert De Niro in Silver Linings Playbook? We do not. But here may be the place to remind you, gentle reader, that much that happens in the world o' Oscar is based on who likes you and who thinks it's your turn to win. Think about it.
    I might be wrong but doesn't 5 nominations make Skyfall the most Oscar nominated Bond film ever even ?
    LeChiffre wrote:
    I might be wrong but doesn't 5 nominations make Skyfall the most Oscar nominated Bond film ever even ?

That would be correct. :)
  • LeChiffre wrote:

What are the other stats on this though? wasn't TSWLM nominated for 2 or 3?
    LeChiffre wrote:

What are the other stats on this though? wasn't TSWLM nominated for 2 or 3?

Three. Best Art Direction, Score and Song.

Goldfinger and Thunderball both won one each.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    According to Adeles Facebook page, her song has been nominated by " Brit Awards " as the Best British Single!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Why so much negativity in here ever since the Oscar nominations were announced. I just don't understand. Perhaps it's time to explain how certain people involved in the production of 'Skyfall' feel after the announcement.

I shall tell you exactly how Daniel Craig feels right now. I'm certain he is not sad about not being nominated for an Oscar. No. I am pretty damn certain Daniel Craig put up a big smile on his face when he saw the list of Oscar nominations coming up.

A Bond film is not just a film in which one aspect, for instance music, is perfect and all other aspects, like acting, plot, etc. are shit. Doesn't work like that. A Bond film is all about team effort. Actually, it goes much further than that. It's one big family, from actors to producers, from sound mixers to music composers, from singers to cinematographers, from screenplay writers to production and clothing designers. THIS is what can make or break a Bond film. And the Broccoli's/Wilson's know that.

This is the reason why working on 'Skyfall' must have been such a great thrill ride for all people involved in the production of 'Skyfall'. Without a great plot, great action music could not have been made. Without the wunderful acting of Judi, Javier and Daniel, the producers would have lost some creative inspiration. Without perfect clothes, make-up, production design and wunderful locations, the actors would not have been acting so Fleming-esque.

I truly believe that, while Javier Bardem, Judi Dench, Michael G. Wilson & Barbara Broccoli are not nominated for an (Best Acting/Best Picture) Oscar, they must have been very close to be nominated. They were on all the prediction lists. And while they don't have an Oscar nomination, they did receive some other prestigious Award nominations that a Bond film never got before, like a Producers Guild Awards and a Screen Actors Guild Award.

So dear fans? You might consider how absolutely wunderful it is that 'Skyfall' got nominated for FIVE Oscars. It's a unique team effort that makes everyone within the Bond family smile. Except....except certain fans in here. And that saddens me. These FIVE Oscar nominations for me feel as one giant 12 m high 'Best Picture' Oscar made of pure gold. And not for ONE moment I would say things like "Uhhh, David Arnold deserved the nomination and not Thomas Newman." Pa-the-tic.

So dear fans, it's not that black and white. It's all interlinked. And please take in mind that these FIVE Oscar nominations for James Bond 007 are unique, historic and record-breaking.

Finally, some damn sense in these parts. I feel like I will have to leave this thread, as some posts really sicken me.

People saying that no awards but Best Picture matter, or calling nominations for editing or music "blah" categories. Let me tell you something: How would you feel if you busted your arse to get the film together by editing or composing the music with heavy deadlines stressing you out, and then you got nominated, or even named at the Oscars? You would feel accomplished and bloody proud of your work, that's how you'd feel! These composers and editors have just as much stress at the director and actors, so I see no reason why they aren't getting the deep respect they deserve as well. As Gustav_Graves eloquently noted, filmmaking is a team effort. No categories are lesser than any others because each part (or job) forms a complete whole (the film). Without the skilled editing team we would have an incomplete jumble of film shots and dailies with no sense of order. Without the composer special moments in the film couldn't hold half as much emotional weight and power without the great music Newman gave us. EVERY SINGLE CATEGORY MATTERS.

And people can quit posting links to articles of other people being ungrateful.

Titles like "SKYFALL: SNUBBED" just because we didn't get a Best Picture or acting nod? Get over your damn selfs.

Finally, some damn sense in these parts. I feel like I will have to leave this thread, as some posts really sicken me.

People saying that no awards but Best Picture matter, or calling nominations for editing or music "blah" categories. Let me tell you something: How would you feel if you busted your arse to get the film together by editing or composing the music with heavy deadlines stressing you out, and then you got nominated, or even named at the Oscars? You would feel accomplished and bloody proud of your work, that's how you'd feel! These composers and editors have just as much stress at the director and actors, so I see no reason why they aren't getting the deep respect they deserve as well. As Gustav_Graves eloquently noted, filmmaking is a team effort. No categories are lesser than any others because each part (or job) forms a complete whole (the film). Without the skilled editing team we would have an incomplete jumble of film shots and dailies with no sense of order. Without the composer special moments in the film couldn't hold half as much emotional weight and power without the great music Newman gave us. EVERY SINGLE CATEGORY MATTERS.

Titles like "SKYFALL: SNUBBED" just because we didn't get a Best Picture or acting nod? Get over your damn selfs.

*High Five* mate ;-)
  • RC7RC7

I think I might be right in saying I don't always see eye to eye with you guys. However, on this I'm certainly with you. In the context of what we're talking about, ie OSCAR, as Bond fans this is uncharted territory really. Sound Mixing, I'll take it. Patronising or not. I'm not going to get carried away with it, not by a long shot, but it's better than a kick in the knackers.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 1,261
    Come on, guys, it was very clear, that SF will not get them "biggies" nominations. The Academy prefers biopics like LINCOLN or great emotional drama stuff like LES MIS, and as they like Tarantino, he is always sure to get noninated, however, apart from winning Best original screenplay for PULP FICTION, he also never won the big awards, he knows how to tell dark violent movies with a rather bleak and dark humour, his trademark (although I would rank Martin McDonagh a little above him writing-wise). I am happy, that SF turned out to be a great movies (IMO!!!), which I liked very much. The nominations it got were the ones to be expected, although I don't think, it will win anoy of them (song.-wise LES MIS will take it, maybe Roger Deakins wins, but he does have some stiff competition form other Academy favourites like Robert Richardson or Janusz Kaminski. Oscar nomnations to me are the icing on a delicious cake, not more, nor less...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Quentin couldn't give a care about awards, which is why I like him. He is in it for the love of film. Even when he retires (probably sooner rather than later) he wants to write and publish books on film. The man lives and breathes it. THAT is the true mark of a man in love with what he is doing. Quentin's award is simply being able to be doing the thing he loves more than anything every day.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 2,015
    Quentin couldn't give a care about awards.

491973cannes.png

and several years later he came back as President of the awards...
    Come on, guys, it was very clear, that SF will not get them "biggies" nominations....

Have you actually read what I have been saying? I mean....you make it look as if we are...I am very disappointed. I am THRILLED with these 5 nominations :-)! And please...stop dividing them into less prestigious and more prestigious Oscars.
    Come on, guys, it was very clear, that SF will not get them "biggies" nominations....

Have you actually read what I have been saying? I mean....you make it look as if we are...I am very disappointed. I am THRILLED with these 5 nominations :-)! And please...stop dividing them into less prestigious and more prestigious Oscars.

• edited January 2013 Posts: 11,119
    Damn. Something went wrong with posting....so sorry :S.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 11,119
    Anyway, let's make a list of Bond films that received major Film Award nominations and that actually won a few. Be amazed about the number of nominations 'Skyfall' got compared to the other Bond films in the past 50 years.

Bond films with most Oscar/Golden Globe/BAFTA nominations. Oscars have priority over Golden Globes. Golden Globes have priority over BAFTA's in my list:

01) 5 Oscar nominations, 1 Golden Globe nominations, 8 BAFTA nominations: 'SKYFALL' (2012):
    ......Oscar - 'Best Cinematography': Roger Deakins
    ......Oscar - 'Best Original Music Score': Thomas Newman
    ......Oscar - 'Best Original Song': 'Skyfall' by Adele & Paul Epworth
    ......Oscar - 'Best Sound Mixing': Scott Millan, Greg P. Russell & Stuart Wilson
    ......Oscar - 'Best Sound Editing': Per Hallberg & Karen M. Baker
    ......Golden Globe - 'Best Original Song': 'Skyfall' by Adele & Paul Epworth
    ......BAFTA - 'Best Supporting Actor': Javier Bardem
    ......BAFTA - 'Best Supporting Actress': Judi Dench
    ......BAFTA - 'Best British Film': Michael G. Wilson & Barbara Broccoli
    ......BAFTA - 'Best Cinematography': Roger Deakins
    ......BAFTA - 'Best Editing': Stuart Baird
    ......BAFTA - 'Best Original Music Score': Thomas Newman
    ......BAFTA - 'Best Sound': Scott Millan, Per Hallberg & Stuart Wilson
    ......BAFTA - 'Best Production Design': Dennis Gassner & Anna Pinnock

02) 3 Oscar nominations, 2 Golden Globe nominations, 2 BAFTA nominations: 'THE SPY WHO LOVED ME' (1977):
    ......Oscar - 'Best Production Design': Ken Adam
    ......Oscar - 'Best Original Music Score': Marvin Hamlisch
    ......Oscar - 'Best Original Song': 'Nobody Does It Better' by Marvin Hamlisch & Carole Bayer Sager
    ......Golden Globe - 'Best Original Music Score': Marvin Hamlisch
    ......Golden Globe - 'Best Original Song': 'Nobody Does It Better' by Marvin Hamlisch & Carole
    ......BAFTA - 'Best Original Music Score': Marvin Hamlisch
    ......BAFTA - 'Best Production Design': Ken Adam

04) 1 Oscar nominations, 1 Golden Globe nominations: 'FOR YOUR EYES ONLY' (1981):
    ......Oscar - 'Best Original Song': 'For Your Eyes Only' by Sheena Easton, Bill Conti & Michael Leeson
    ......Golden Globe - 'Best Original Song': 'For Your Eyes Only' by Sheena Easton, Bill Conti & Michael Leeson

05) 1 Oscar nominations, 1 BAFTA nominations: 'GOLDFINGER' (1964):
    ......Oscar - 'Best Sound Effects': Norman Wanstall *WIN*

05) 1 Oscar nominations, 1 BAFTA nominations: 'THUNDERBALL' (1965):
    ......Oscar - 'Best Special Visual Effects': John Stears *WIN*

05) 1 Oscar nominations, 1 BAFTA nominations: 'CASINO ROYALE' (1967):
    ......Oscar - 'Best Original Song': 'The Look Of Love' by Dusty Springfield, Burt Bacharach & Hal David
    ......BAFTA - 'Best Custume Design': Julie Harris

08) 1 Oscar nominations: 'MOONRAKER' (1979):
    ......Oscar - 'Best Visual Effects': Derek Meddings, Paul Wilson & John Evans

09) 1 Golden Globe nominations, 1 BAFTA Award nominations: 'FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE' (1963):
    ......Golden Globe - 'Best Original Song': 'From Russia With Love' by Matt Munro, John Barry & Lionel Bart
    ......BAFTA - 'Best Cinematography': Ted Moore *WIN*

10) 1 Golden Globe nominations: 'NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN' (1983):
    ......Golden Globe - 'Best Supporting Actress': Barbara Carrera

10) 1 Golden Globe nominations: 'ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE' (1969):
    ......Golden Globe - 'Best Newcomer Actor': George Lazenby

10) 1 Golden Globe nominations: 'DOCTOR NO' (1962):
    ......Golden Globe - 'Best Newcomer Actress': Ursula Andress *WIN*

10) 1 Golden Globe nominations: 'A VIEW TO A KILL' (1985):
    ......Golden Globe - 'Best Original Song': 'A View To A Kill' by Duran Duran & John Barry

10) 1 Golden Globe nominations: 'TOMORROW NEVER DIES' (1997):
    ......Golden Globe - 'Best Original Song': 'Tomorrow Never Dies' by Sheryl Crow & Mitchell Froom

10) 1 Golden Globe nominations: 'DIE ANOTHER DAY' (2002):
    ......Golden Globe - 'Best Original Song': 'Die Another Day' by Madonna & Mirwais Ahmadzaï

16) 9 BAFTA nominations: 'CASINO ROYALE' (2006):
    ......BAFTA - 'Best Leading Actor': Daniel Craig
    ......BAFTA - 'Best British Film': Michael G. Wilson & Barbara Broccoli
    ......BAFTA - 'Best Cinematography': Phil Meheux
    ......BAFTA - 'Best Editing': Stuart Baird
    ......BAFTA - 'Best Sound': Chris Munro, Eddy Joseph & Mike Prestwood Smith *WIN*
    ......BAFTA - 'Best Original Music Score': David Arnold
    ......BAFTA - 'Best Visual Effects': Steven Begg, Chris Corbould & John Paul Docherty
    ......BAFTA - 'Best Production Design': Peter Lamont
    ......BAFTA - 'Best Adapted Screenplay': Paul Haggis, Neal Purvis & Robert Wade

17) 2 BAFTA nominations: 'GOLDENEYE' (1995):
    ......BAFTA - 'Best Special Effects': Derek Meddings, Chris Corbould & Brian Smithies
    ......BAFTA - 'Best Sound': Jim Shields, David John, Graham V. Hartstone, John Hayward & Michael A. Carter

18) 2 BAFTA nominations: 'QUANTUM OF SOLACE' (2008):
    ......BAFTA - 'Best Sound': James Boyle, Eddy Joseph & Chris Munro
    ......BAFTA - 'Best Visual Effects: Chris Corbould & Kevin Tod Haug

19) 1 BAFTA nominations: 'YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE' (1967):
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I have a feeling that "Skyfall" by Adele is going to win.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 1,261
    @Mijnher_Graves:
    Sorry, I have not read all the postings here (too many), and I did not want to give the impression that I think you and other guys were stupid. I actually posted my opinion on the nominations for SF, that's all, and I certainly did not refer to your posting on the nominations (I have read by now). No offence intended. :-h :-h :-h And I agree with you that 5 nominations are indeed great!
    A good point up there, when summarized, is that everything will read up front, from IMDB to news outlets, that Skyfall was nominated for 5 OSCARs. That's the headline, not which OSCARs.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    A good point up there, when summarized, is that everything will read up front, from IMDB to news outlets, that Skyfall was nominated for 5 OSCARs. That's the headline, not which OSCARs.

Some magazines or sites are just as ungrateful as some here, and have Skyfall listed as SNUBBED just because it didn't get any acting or Best Picture nods. They fail to even mention the wonderful 5 we got. Imbeciles. X(
    edited January 2013 Posts: 8,034
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Some magazines or sites are just as ungrateful as some here, and have Skyfall listed as SNUBBED just because it didn't get any acting or Best Picture nods. They fail to even mention the wonderful 5 we got. Imbeciles. X(

I only stated that I don't think Newman deserves an Academy Award for Skyfall. That's the only negative thing I mentioned.

And I honestly believe that Bardem deserves recognition for his performance, that's the only major disappointment I have. It's not being ungrateful at all it's just being honest and I don't think labelling people imbeciles is the appropriate way to deal with it.

The 5 categories the film was nominated in are extremely good, granted. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with aiming for the top prize, not at all. You've mentioned that filmmaking is a team effort and as an amateur filmmaker myself I can't not agree with you, but the "Best Film" award is just as much overall recognition for the work of the technical departments as the individual categories.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

I only stated that I don't think Newman deserves an Academy Award for Skyfall. That's the only negative thing I mentioned.

And I honestly believe that Bardem deserves recognition for his performance, that's the only major disappointment I have. It's not being ungrateful at all it's just being honest and I don't think labelling people imbeciles is the appropriate way to deal with it.

The 5 categories the film was nominated in are extremely good, granted. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with aiming for the top prize, not at all. You've mentioned that filmmaking is a team effort and as an amateur filmmaker myself I can't not agree with you, but the "Best Film" award is just as much overall recognition for the work of the technical departments as the individual categories.

I wasn't talking about YOU.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 6,601
    Nope, he meant me - as usual ;). I can live with that. When I post articles from industrie papers, its funny how they are called names, just because they don't underline, what you people so want everybody to believe. Dream away and be happy. Do it but don't expect everybody to go with you on that. And Brady - unless you became a mod, don't tell me, what I am allowed to do. Please...
    Haven´t been online for a bit, and what is this, Adele and Newman´s soundtrack nominated for an Oscar =)) ?!?
    Oh well, Halle Berry got hers too...
  • I'm happy we got 5 nominations but I honestly don't think Newman deserved it.
    Anyway, let's make a list

Another one?! ;)
  • Skyfall win at the 18th Critics' Choice Awards

Best Action Move-Skyfall
    Best actor in action movie-Daniel Craig
    Best Song-Adele

http://www.thestate.com/2013/01/11/2585315/affleck-argo-win-big-at-critics.html#.UO_NvW-Zk1Z

It more awards for Skyfall and this was voted by the critics so they love Skyfall and Craig to get these awards!
  • RC7RC7
    Germanlady wrote:
    Nope, he meant me - as usual ;). I can live with that. When I post articles from industrie papers, its funny how they are called names, just because they don't underline, what you people so want everybody to believe. Dream away and be happy. Do it but don't expect everybody to go with you on that. And Brady - unless you became a mod, don't tell me, what I am allowed to do. Please...

Not sure what your point is. The media ran with the 'Skyfall for Oscar' story because to your average red top reading layman, it sounds much more interesting and dynamic than 'Les Mis' or 'Lincoln' for Oscar. The fact Skyfall was critically well received and a financial juggernaut gave a false sense of reality to the situation, which the media naturally capitalised on. The fact they are now saying it was snubbed were because they were the very people who hyped it in the first place. It was never going to be nominated for best picture, so it wasn't snubbed.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Sorry chaps but I've suddenly found myself firmly in the Germanlady camp. If all awards are of equal value why do things like sound, editing etc get presented before the main show in a seemingly empty room whereas best picture and director are last and bring down a standing ovation?

I appreciate everyone involved put as much work in as anyone else and awards are of equal value to the individuals involved but for us the audience it's the big ones that count because which ever way you cut it Citizen Kane and Casablanca are still great films even if you are watching on a phone with headphones and DAD is still dogshit even on an IMAX screen with Dolby surround.

Good sound and cinematography can polish a turd yes but not intrinsically change its nature from a turd to a masterpiece.

In the interests of balance I didn't realise Germanlady also worke for the Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2260523/Oscars-2013-The-sky-falls-Bonds-bid-Oscar-glory--Adele-shout.html

Lazy journalism as they'd obviously already written an article about SF and weren't about to let the facts change that.

I'm sick of this argument 'SF was critically acclaimed and made a ton of money' as if the only thing that you need for best picture is 1billion and 5 stars in Empire. All these industry papers you go on about are not actually in the industry I'm afraid Germanlady. Academy members actually work in the industry rather than just comment on it and they didn't think SF deserved any of the big awards.

Out of interest I'm not that familiar with Thomas Newmans work. Is he one of these people who is 'overdue' an Oscar for his body of work a la Connery for The Untouchables? If so SF might benefit as he finally collects even though personally I think Arnold's TND and CR scores blow SF away (and for both these Arnold wrote stunning title songs as well) and obviously Barry goes without saying.