SKYFALL: FANS' REACTIONS - GUARANTEED SPOILERS

Comments

He is not familiar with anything concerning DC and certainly not, where it comes to him being attractive for women AND many men, as a matter of fact. CR had many of those scenes, QOS was about mourning Vespers death and SF was about M as the main Bond girl.

Y>ou are right though, that many didn't consider him attractive UNTIL CR came out, then the view changed for most.
  • Would you care to explain what you mean with "Track Record ", because when you're talking about his pre Bond Movies i just dont see what it has got do with it. If you mean the Women he layed in these days, i dont give a you know what.For all we know about his flirting technique he might as well have thrown them over his shoulder!
  • RC7RC7
    edited December 2012 Posts: 10,512
    I think the point is DC is as attractive to some people as he is unattractive to others. None of the previous Bonds have ever really been labellled 'ugly', 'unattractive' maybe but ugly, no. As we all know, looks and attractiveness are two different things and the reason this issue persists is because some people find him genuinely ugly. Some people want their Bond to be classically handsome I guess, DC isn't that.
    Yeah, you right, he is terrible with women. Nobody likes him.

But I think, she meant his personal track with the likes of Sienna Miller and Kate Moss, which in my book, is him having lost it a bit.
  • Look, I'm really not into Craig bashing (I actually think he is a quite likeable Guy) and he privately
    Might be Mr. Charming himself, but on the Screen he just doesn't deliver.Blame it on the scripts if you want, but I don't think that THREE Movies without ONE genuine Flirt have happened by accident.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 11,425
    There's a bit (may be a lot) of flirting with Vesper, isn't there? I thought it was quite well done. After Vesper he's a different man.
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    Look, I'm really not into Craig bashing (I actually think he is a quite likeable Guy) and he privately
    Might be Mr. Charming himself, but on the Screen he just doesn't deliver.Blame it on the scripts if you want, but I don't think that THREE Movies without ONE genuine Flirt have happened by accident.

Well, now I am sure, you haven't seen CR. And boy, does he deliver there and in every other scene, as smal as it might be in any other film. MY opinion as its yours, that he can't pull it off. No use of discussing it any further.

• Matt_Helm wrote:
    I agree that Bond 50 might be stretching some things,but he definetly has a Point when it comes to Craig and his women.He is just no womanizer,period.Or why else do you think they haven't given Craig a flirting Scene in three Movies (oh and please don't cite the "what do you know about fear" Dialog in SF. That is NOT flirting,period again!!). And by the way, I'm still not convinced,that too many Woman on this Planet would go wild about Craig,if he wasn't James Bond right now with all of Eons Media Force behind him.Back in the "let's hate Craig days" before CR I can't remember ANY Girl (Or Woman for that matter) who even cared to defend him as attractive ( but I recall quite a few who considered him almost ugly).

Bond flirting with Solange in CR.
    Bond flirting with Vesper non-stop in CR.
    Bond flirting with Eve in SF when she comes to his hotel room.

This right here disproves the idea of him never having a flirting scene in any of his movies. He didn't do it in QoS (because of the character mourning Vesper) but the only defence of him supposed *not* flirting in the other scenes is "Oh, I don't think that was *good* flirting". But flirt he did.

In terms of Craig's attractiveness every woman that I know finds Craig attractive with the exception of one - she says he's too small (she likes bodybuilders) and he isn't "black enough". But quite literally every other woman I'm friends with and work with find him attractive to some degree, with the majority tilting towards him being very attractive. A big part of that is his confidence and personality, and that requires people to see him on screen or meet him in real life as opposed to just looking at a picture of him - and prior to CR a lot of websites were using very unflattering pictures of him.

Of course, this is anecdotal and not scientific. However, this is the first time in my life that I've known grown women to go back and see a Bond film in the theatre a THIRD time. And they openly admit that Craig being so hot is a huge part of that.
  • Getafix wrote:
    There's a bit (may be a lot) of flirting with Vesper, isn't there? I thought it was quite well done. After Vesper he's a different man.

To my mind Vesper was quite annoyed when she met Bond (a reaction they NEVER had with ANY of the other Bonds)and only fell for him after the Le Chiffre Incident
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Germanlady wrote:
    Yeah, you right, he is terrible with women. Nobody likes him.

But I think, she meant his personal track with the likes of Sienna Miller and Kate Moss, which in my book, is him having lost it a bit.

Not any particular case, just saying that he's got a reputation that's all. I didn't like the fact that he was cast as Bond back in the day, but one thing I couldn't deny: he's sexy as hell. What I mean is he's not sexy because he is Bond, he is Bond also because he is sexy ;)
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    I agree that Bond 50 might be stretching some things,but he definetly has a Point when it comes to Craig and his women.He is just no womanizer,period.Or why else do you think they haven't given Craig a flirting Scene in three Movies (oh and please don't cite the "what do you know about fear" Dialog in SF. That is NOT flirting,period again!!). And by the way, I'm still not convinced,that too many Woman on this Planet would go wild about Craig,if he wasn't James Bond right now with all of Eons Media Force behind him.Back in the "let's hate Craig days" before CR I can't remember ANY Girl (Or Woman for that matter) who even cared to defend him as attractive ( but I recall quite a few who considered him almost ugly).

This right here disproves the idea of him never having a flirting scene in any of his movies. He didn't do it in QoS (because of the character mourning Vesper) but the only defence of him supposed *not* flirting in the other scenes is "Oh, I don't think that was *good* flirting". But flirt he did.

In terms of Craig's attractiveness every woman that I know finds Craig attractive with the exception of one - she says he's too small (she likes bodybuilders) and he isn't "black enough". But quite literally every other woman I'm friends with and work with find him attractive to some degree, with the majority tilting towards him being very attractive. A big part of that is his confidence and personality, and that requires people to see him on screen or meet him in real life as opposed to just looking at a picture of him - and prior to CR a lot of websites were using very unflattering pictures of him.

Of course, this is anecdotal and not scientific. However, this is the first time in my life that I've known grown women to go back and see a Bond film in the theatre a THIRD time. And they openly admit that Craig being so hot is a huge part of that.

Exactly.
  • Matt_Helm wrote:

Regarding your Points ...
    Solange: "How about a Drink at my Place?" doesn't qualify as flirting in my Opinion
    Rgarding Eve you just must be kidding.Bond practcally tries to grab her breast after about just 10 seconds alone with her (a behaviour rather aching to a drunk Tourist at Mallorca than to You know who)
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 2,081
    Good points, thelordflasheart. I have to comment on one astute observation you mentioned: still vs moving pictures... A photograph, any photograph will never be able to capture Craig's charm in anywhere near in its entirety, but merely a fraction at best. He has absolutely everything it takes, and I mean everything. The presence and intensity, the combination of confidence and vulnerability, intelligence, a wonderful sense of humor. And they are there both in his Bond and in him as a man. His most amazing physical feature IMHO are his eyes - I think Bérénice Marlohe was spot on in what she said.

Frankly, to me, a man arguing that Craig's Bond doesn't flirt, or that his Bond or he as a man is not attractive to women is... well... hilarious. ;)
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 5,767
    Interesting. QOS got a lot more flak, but nobody seemed to be insulted then.
  • Tuulia wrote:

Frankly, to me, a man arguing that Craig's Bond doesn't flirt, or that his Bond or he as a man is not attractive to women is... well... hilarious. ;)

Yep, me too. As I guy I'll admit I'm not the best judge of what women think of another man, but I can tell you every woman I know has a thing for Craig and many of them had a thing for him long before he was Bond.

For what it's worth, I went to see Skyfall last weekend. There were 30 people in the theatre and 27 of them were women. I don't think they were there for the DB5. It was so noticable I even made a comment to my wife, who responded with a sly smile and simply said "well, duh - they're here for Craig".
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited December 2012 Posts: 4,043
    Why is it heterosexual men that have an issue with Craig's looks? From the get go when the bashing started it's been for the most guys and more than likely straight ones.

What is about Craig's appearance that winds up Men so much?
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Double Post
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Shardlake wrote:
    Why is it heterosexual men that have an issue with Craig's looks? From the get go when the bashing started it's been for the most guys and more than likely straight ones.

What is about Craig's appearance that winds up Men so much?

Well before CR came out I heard lots of women bitching about it too.

For some people he's just not what Bond looks like. For others, maybe they're jealous because of all the attention he got from women after CR (mainly thanks to the trunk scene).

EDIT: 6000 posts! :D
  • I think Craig - although he is a “man’s man” – doesn’t give off that vibe that he would like to have drinks with you. He’s kind of stand-offish and really gives the impression that he doesn’t give a rat’s ass what you think of him. Most guys tend not to like that (not me though – I find his attitude pretty damn cool). Guys don’t mind if another guy is better looking than us, or better built, or richer/more famous, etc., so long as he’s a guy we can see ourselves hanging out with.

As for the “Bond looks”, it's funny, but I don't really care that much what Bond is "supposed to look like". To me, the coolest thing about Bond are the intangibles - his confidence, his self-reliance, his swagger, his intelligence, his toughness (physical and mental), his coolness under pressure…….stuff like that. If an actor has that, I really don’t give a rat’s ass what his hair color is.
  • I couldn't really see myself hanging out with him. He doesn't come across as somebody you'd love to have a pint with, but I still like his Bond.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2012 Posts: 28,694
    I think people confuse Dan's "stand-offish" nature with his preference of privacy. Dan isn't plastering his life on tabloids or in interviews. He goes to be interviewed, gives what he is expected to give, and then that's it. He is entitled to that, no matter how big a star you are. Last time I checked, being a celebrity didn't mean your freedom of privacy was rescinded. I would most surely sit down to talk with him, though it would be unnerving. If you treat him like the normal person he is and not a Messiah as some no doubt do, I see no issue. I would be intimidated as I would be with any actor I respected and didn't want to offend. I wouldn't immediately jump to Bond or Rachel or any of that. He gets Bond questions all the bloody time, enough for a lifetime, and his business with Rachel is between them. Rather I would bring up other things, like hobbies or favorite movies. Just like a normal conversation to keep him comfortable and relaxed.
    I have to say I met him a few times long before he became Bond, not long after he worked on Lara Croft as a matter of fact. He used to work as a part-time barman in Notting Hill (Portobello Gold pub) in between acting jobs and had a flat somewhere North of there. I did find him a bit stand-offish and even though we discussed what it was like when Bill Clinton visited his pub he wasn't the most talkative when the subject came to acting. I know he really liked Abel Ferrara movies which we both shared at the time, but other than that he seemed rather aloof to me.
    Germanlady wrote:
    He is not familiar with anything concerning DC and certainly not, where it comes to him being attractive for women AND many men, as a matter of fact. CR had many of those scenes, QOS was about mourning Vespers death and SF was about M as the main Bond girl.

Y>ou are right though, that many didn't consider him attractive UNTIL CR came out, then the view changed for most.

Thats what made Connery such a great Bond. every girl wanted to be with him and every guy wants to be him. Thats why Craig's Bond has been so successful is cause he's got what Connery had which was lacking with the other Bond's. He's great with the women . He doesn't overdo it like Moore did. two women is enough for any film and Craig has the charm to pull it off. Plus Craig is certianly the fittest of the bonds. He's got the rugged charm.
    bondsum wrote:
    I have to say I met him a few times long before he became Bond, not long after he worked on Lara Croft as a matter of fact. He used to work as a part-time barman in Notting Hill (Portobello Gold pub) in between acting jobs and had a flat somewhere North of there. I did find him a bit stand-offish and even though we discussed what it was like when Bill Clinton visited his pub he wasn't the most talkative when the subject came to acting. I know he really liked Abel Ferrara movies which we both shared at the time, but other than that he seemed rather aloof to me.

he comes off rather not liking to chat about himself and rather shy. Maybe you talked a little too much Bondscum
  • bondsum wrote:

And that's why I think Craig takes a lot of beatings around these parts. Male Bond fans what to think that the guy playing Bond could be they're buddy, someone you could knock down a few pints with (and maybe have some of his coolness rub off on you).

Craig is not that guy. He seems to be very private and that comes off as aloof or standoffish. But here's my point: that does NOT make him a bad Bond. He is, in my opinion, a great Bond, one of the best ever. Would I rather have a pint with Sir Rog or even Brosnan? Yeah, probably. But they weren't better Bonds than Craig.

I for one couldn't care what he's like in 'real life'. I don't buy into this celebrity-obsessed culture so on those occations I have run into some big named actor, I've nodded my head, said "hey" and kept walking.
  • Grinderman wrote:
    And that's why I think Craig takes a lot of beatings around these parts.

Does he? The majority of the site loves him. In fact you can't say a bad word about him at times. I'd say it's Brosnan who gets the most criticism on here. Moore or Lazenby probably 2nd.

Difference is nobody bats an eyelid when Brosnan is criticised while if somebody doesn't like Craig some people seem to take it personally.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The things people don't like about Dan (his privacy and all that) are what make me favor him so much.
  • Grinderman wrote:
    And that's why I think Craig takes a lot of beatings around these parts.

Does he? The majority of the site loves him. In fact you can't say a bad word about him at times. I'd say it's Brosnan who gets the most criticism on here. Moore or Lazenby probably 2nd.

Difference is nobody bats an eyelid when Brosnan is criticised while if somebody doesn't like Craig some people seem to take it personally.

You may be right. Maybe it's not that a lot of people here don't like him, maybe it's just the one's that don't tend to be very vocal about it.
  • The things people don't like about Dan (his privacy and all that) are what make me favor him so much.

Could not have said it better myself. :-)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Sex appeal, charm, confidence and animal magnetism are in no way mutually exclusive to conventional "good looks". Honestly, some of the criteria that some people use to discredit Craig as a charming and believable Bond is a joke. I love Roger but Moore spent the majority of his film's winking and charming his way through 12 years and yet, his obvious lack of physicality and glaring shortcomings as a believable and convincing Bond mostly gets a free pass? Give me a break!
  • bond50bond50 Banned
    Germanlady wrote:
    Just wait, till certain others read this - they will have a joyful heartattack reading this. And it IS a pile of monkey crap, where the writer isn't even slightly concerned about the way he trashes everything about the film, but still - some get concerned, when he gets some of his own medicine. Its funny, that one side is allowed to attack something, whereas the other is not. Double standard, I call this. So - I would think, just leave those alone, who have THEIR saying about this ***.

Just another attack by Germanlady a CBN Member I'am am herby not a member of that dumb site as for all on it are in their own state of SKYFALL delusions as well. All she is is a Dan Craig hag who steals photos from other websites and posts them on her own blog or CBN.