SKYFALL: FANS' REACTIONS - GUARANTEED SPOILERS

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    MrSpy wrote:
    I can't put into words just how sick and tired I am of hearing about those overrated Nolan Batman movies. It has "Matrix Trilogy" written all over it. Remember those heady days? Like you remember "Hammer Time" and "Disco Inferno", no doubt. But genre fans can be like overexcited puppies with a chew toy when they find something that, like, totally blows their minds! Remember when every movie being made or about to be made or even being considered for possible production had to be like the Matrix? Remember when every sci-fi or action movie that came out was "blatantly ripping off" the Matrix? Remember when anything that didn't match up to the Sacred Matrix was somehow deficient? Remember being cornered at parties by some dude with a leather raincoat who felt it was his solemn duty in life to inform you just how inspired and perfect the Matrix was?

The younger members of this Forum might have been spared this odious experience. It was a seemingly Bottomless Pit of Annoying.

And now? When new Wachowski Brothers films disappear almost as soon as they appear, and no one even mentions the Matrix anymore? It's just a slightly embarrassing memory.

Now we have Christ Nolan and the Sacred Perfect Never-To-Be Questioned "Dark Knight Trilogy". Ugh.

Wanna know what Batman was like before Denny O'Neil started importing elements from Bond? Watch the Adam West series. Seriously. Apart from the first three years or so, Batman was a colorful, fun, smiling superhero who palled around with Superman, Wonder Woman, and yes, with Batgirl and Robin. Even if Mendes admires the Nolan movies and thinks they somehow raised the bar, he doesn't have to take anything from Batman - he only has to take back what it borrowed from Bond.

Get used to it. The Nolan films deserve the praise. Batman stealing from Bond. What a laugh...
  • MrSpy wrote:
    I can't put into words just how sick and tired I am of hearing about those overrated Nolan Batman movies. It has "Matrix Trilogy" written all over it.

From what I remember only the first Matrix film was really popular. I think the series fell in popularity after the 2nd two films.

Anyway, Matrix 1>>>Nolans Batman. Nolans Batman is cool but it doesn't have slow motion gun fu ;)
    Batman "borrowing" from Bond: a fact. It starts with Detective Comics #411 and Batman #232. It was part of the attempt to modernize Batman and make him contemporary and 'cool'. The martial arts craze and fad for eastern philosophy were also incorporated. OHMSS is Nolan's favorite movie, and he is a vocal JB fan.

Believe what you want to believe but I find SF to be far superior to the TDK trilogy and I don't think anyone needs to look for Batman lurking in the shadows behind Bond.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    MrSpy wrote:
    Batman "borrowing" from Bond: a fact. It starts with Detective Comics #411 and Batman #232. It was part of the attempt to modernize Batman and make him contemporary and 'cool'. The martial arts craze and fad for eastern philosophy were also incorporated. OHMSS is Nolan's favorite movie, and he is a vocal JB fan.

Believe what you want to believe but I find SF to be far superior to the TDK trilogy and I don't think anyone needs to look for Batman lurking in the shadows behind Bond.

When a Bond film surpasses a billion in the box office, then come and find me.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 678

So box office is the only measure of quality of a film? I think most people can tell that theres only a loose connection between the two things, and sometimes no connection.
    Batman stealing from Bond. What a laugh...

"One possibility, albeit a way down the line, is a Bond movie. The director, as most Brits who grew up watching the Ian Fleming franchise on rainy bank holidays such as this one are, is a long-time fan of the series, mentioning Bond as a key influence on both "Batman Begins" and "Inception""

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/christopher-nolan-says-his-howard-hughes-film-is-dead-but-hed-still-like-to-do-a-bond-film-at-some-point-20120604

So box office is the only measure of quality of a film? I think most people can tell that theres only a loose connection between the two things, and sometimes no connection.
    Batman stealing from Bond. What a laugh...

"One possibility, albeit a way down the line, is a Bond movie. The director, as most Brits who grew up watching the Ian Fleming franchise on rainy bank holidays such as this one are, is a long-time fan of the series, mentioning Bond as a key influence on both "Batman Begins" and "Inception""

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/christopher-nolan-says-his-howard-hughes-film-is-dead-but-hed-still-like-to-do-a-bond-film-at-some-point-20120604

Obviously I am not saying that. I mean that when the quality of the film and its commercial success reach the standards that the Nolan films have gotten to, you simply have to respect that no matter what you feel.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 678
    The point is you were wrong about Bond not being an influence on Batman. Nolan admitted it in an interview with Empire magazine.

Also,

Bond is a series, not just a one-off film, so you could equally say: "When Batman surpasses a run of 23 films, then come and find me."

Well, you could if you wanted to make childish type statements I guess.
    The point is you were wrong about Bond not being an influence on Batman. Nolan admitted it in an interview with Empire magazine.

Also,

Bond is a series, not just a one-off film, so you could equally say: "When Batman surpasses a run of 23 films, then come and find me."

Well, considering this place has been looking more and more like a preschool as of late, it seems to have rubbed off. :-L
    Liked the film, but was neither shaken nor stirred. It didn't have the thrill I felt in the old days when the gun barrel sequence played and a brassy Barry score blared through the opening credits. Maybe it's a function of age. It's all well done, original for a Bond film, but somehow emotionally flat. Better than QoS, but less than CR. Really miss the big Bond music of GF and TB, although there was a musical nod to TB.

No surprises. I'd seen too many stills, too many previews, read too much about the film. The many reminders of previous films feels gratuitous. Loved the DB5 in GF and TB, but enough's enough. We get it. Plus it doesn't make sense. Had CR been a flashback, then the whole reboot wouldn't have made the chronology irritating and confusing. The car, Moneypenny, etc. just complicate matters.

So while I liked the film as a whole, there is no individual scene or moment that stands out after one viewing. When it comes out on DVD, maybe I'll warm up to it.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

Also,

Well, considering this place has been looking more and more like a preschool as of late, it seems to have rubbed off. :-L
    When a new film is released forums always turn in to free for alls, full of crazy people making crazy statements. Normal service will be resumed...sometime around March next year. ;-)
  • NicNac wrote:

Also,

When a new film is released forums always turn in to free for alls, full of crazy people making crazy statements. Normal service will be resumed...sometime around March next year. ;-)

What about when the dvd comes out
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    craigrules wrote:

Obviously all anti-SF personnel will refrain from buying the DVD. Hence, said personnel has no business soiling any threads about SF home theatre releases. For if they do, clearly their intention is no longer to discuss the film but to deliberately annoy and upset fans of SF. Surely our SF haters are not like that. :-)

DarthDimi wrote:
    craigrules wrote:

Obviously all anti-SF personnel will refrain from buying the DVD. Hence, said personnel has no business soiling any threads about SF home theatre releases. For if they do, clearly their intention is no longer to discuss the film but to deliberately annoy and upset fans of SF. Surely our SF haters are not like that. :-)
    Heaven forbid Mr Dimi. I'm sure you are right....
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,350
    It's always the worst time, just after the film comes out. It was the same, but worse, for Quantum Of Solace if you remember. That almost killed the other forum. I guess you have to try and ride the wave until it passes. I'm trying my best by staying out of it. :)

Thanks again to the mods and admins for doing all they do.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Samuel001 wrote:
    It's always the worst time, just after the film comes out. It was the same, but worse, for Quantum Of Solace if you remember. That almost killed the other forum. I guess you have to try and ride the wave until it passes. I'm trying my best by staying out of it. :)

Thanks again to the mods and admins for doing all they do.

That was around the time I stopped visiting the old forum, it was becoming disgusting. I hope this won't happen this time, I'm enjoying this forum too much to leave this time :) I trust the mods and their good sense to keep the peace, as they have been doing very well so far.
    It's difficult because this time the majority love the film, but the minority are far more vocal and desperate to keep flogging a dead horse. It can be quite tiresome for people who loved Sf, and I do worry it may drive people away. However I hope you will all stick with it, and we can continue to watch SF clear up at the box office.

Believe me if it was a bad film word of mouth would have brought it to a halt by now. It just remains a real juggernaut with a 92% fresh score.

Thank you to all the fans on this community for your support. :-)
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    @NicNac

Thank you, and all the mods, for doing such a good job, especially when a new Bond film had just been released.

It usually gets a bit crazy whenever a new Bond comes around.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @NicNac, thank you, as well. While I did have small complaints - as I'm sure others have - it was still a fantastic film that is most certainly worthy of its spot in the Bond canon. I really enjoyed myself; my only regret is having only seen it twice. I must go out and see it more!
    And I agree with NicNac all the way. Despite our quarrels with a minor few members here and there, we love you all! You radiate such friendliness and positivism, every visit feels like a warm welcome. Time for us, mods, to say: good work, folks!
    DarthDimi wrote:
    And I agree with NicNac all the way. Despite our quarrels with a minor few members here and there, we love you all! You radiate such friendliness and positivism, every visit feels like a warm welcome. Time for us, mods, to say: good work, folks!

And an even better job to you all for keeping the place in the welcoming, enjoyable atmosphere I find it. Nothing better to kick back and share my thoughts and feelings with like-minded friends about the world of James Bond. I have a group of people to wait in excitement with over 'Bond 24,' now, as well, and I couldn't be happier!
    We're veterans now, @Creasy47. ;-) We survived the Skyfall wars. Looking forward to that reunion.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    We're veterans now, @Creasy47. ;-) We survived the Skyfall wars. Looking forward to that reunion.

That we are ;) where are our medals?
    Creasy47 wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

That we are ;) where are our medals?

Come and get'em... If you dare.

Roger+Moore+Given+Medal+Paris+DOPltzH0SyQl.jpg

Ooooh, no, no, no. Sir Rog, you keep it. You're much more deserving of it than I.

...on second thought, the culmination of bickering we sat through by a few of the members here could warrant challenging Roger for that medal. It's a shame I already see a major loss as the outcome of that battle for me.
    Sir Rog wouldn't mind you getting his medals.
    He keeps the ladies though...

You better believe it, son.

bondgirlsBIG_468x342.jpg
    NicNac wrote:
    It's difficult because this time the majority love the film, but the minority are far more vocal and desperate to keep flogging a dead horse. It can be quite tiresome for people who loved Sf, and I do worry it may drive people away.

There is no right combination though. Had a bad film just been released those who wished to discuss it's strongest points or those who just like the film would be shouted down. When a film is in production everything seems so much smoother.
    @DarthDimi, I won't fight him for the women. As gorgeous as they are, you know Sir Rog still has tricks up his sleeve.

@Samuel001, you have a point. We all praise what looks good, we don't pay too much attention to what could pose a problem, and once reviews come out, it's when the bad times start. Hopefully this all ends soon. Like I've tried to convey in other posts, I've no problem with people hating a certain film; it happens. I do have a problem, however, with those who wish to enter every thread, related to their thoughts on SF or not, bashing the film.
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,350
    As @NicNac said, think yourself lucky as the Quantum Of Solace release was far, far worse. Then we had each half saying the other didn't have a clue - and that's putting it very mildly!

When a Bond film is shooting, everything feels good. With any luck we'll be there this time next year, once again.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    As @NicNac said, think yourself lucky as the Quantum Of Solace release was far, far worse. Then we had each half saying the other didn't have a clue - and that's putting it very mildly!

When a Bond film is shooting, everything feels good. With any luck we'll be there this time next year, once again.

I'm happy I wasn't around for that.
  • DarthDimi wrote:
    craigrules wrote:

but some SF lovers may turn