Spectre Gunbarrel ***Spoilers***

Comments

• Bounine wrote:
    Do you think that they just put it at the end for the press screening to gage the reaction from the fans when we heard about it?

I very much hope that this is the case, although as you said, it's probably just wishful thinking. I suppose that having it at the end allows the audience to leave the theater on a high note, but not having it at the beginning I'm sure will leave many diehard fans (myself included) groaning and complaining when the first thing after the MGM lion and the Columbia lady isn't the white dots flashing across the screen. I wouldn't be surprised if they moved it just to keep people guessing in this new era of Bond films. However, when the GB is featured in the promo-art so prominently, it gives me hope that perhaps the producers did move it to the end just for the press screening so that diehard fans (again like myself) would read a thread like this and expect it to come at the end, only to then go and see the movie and joyously discover that they had tried to fool us and that it is in fact at the start where it belongs. Sadly this is probably just more wishful thinking, but a mans got'a have hope right?
    Indeed. Where would one be without hope?

I'm sick of the Bond films ending with the 007 theme. I miss the days when a nice ballad or the opening Bond song would start playing straight away.
    Bounine wrote:

I'm sick of the Bond films ending with the 007 theme. I miss the days when a nice ballad or the opening Bond song would start playing straight away.
    I can remember not long ago people complaining about the lack of 007 theme at the end of the movies, now it's the opposite :-))
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    maxcraig wrote:
    Bounine wrote:

I can remember not long ago people complaining about the lack of 007 theme at the end of the movies, now it's the opposite :-))

But, back to topic, can anybody remember someone thinking about putting the gunbarrel at the end?

I asked myself who could be the first one with the great idea? Marc Forster? "Acclaimed" director of QOS? or perhaps, again we´ll have to put the blame on the infamous screenwriters strike?...
    ggl007 wrote:
    maxcraig wrote:
    Bounine wrote:

But, back to topic, can anybody remember someone thinking about putting the gunbarrel at the end?

I asked myself who could be the first one with the great idea? Marc Forster? "Acclaimed" director of QOS? or perhaps, again we´ll have to put the blame on the infamous screenwriters strike?...
    What are you on about ? the GB at the end of QOS had nothing to do with screenwriter's strike.
    Hello, I'm new on this forum, so... Sorry if my comment here isn't well written and not too much giving you meaningful opinion... Here's my opinion by the way.....

I already watched all Bond movies.... since I was 9 years old (now I'm 16)... And I think having a traditional gunbarrel missing from last two Craig's films is a problem to me... But.....

In CR, I think the gunbarrel placement was 'perfect' I should say, because Bond wasn't 00 yet at the start of the film... And then he shot the bastard and he finally became 00... But what bad from it is the design... The gunbarrel of CR seems to be I should say... Messy... because there are so many circles on that GB... But everything is fine except the design...

In QoS (I watched QoS first then CR second, because my parents didn't let me watched CR when I was 10 years old back in 2006), I was really shocked when I saw there was no gunbarrel at the beginning.... Then I saw it at the end of the movie... Then after I watched CR, I finally realized the reason of placement of QoS GB at the end of the film might be because of QoS was direct sequel to CR... Sequel means... yeah you know, continuing what's left before... So, I think it wouldn't make sense to put GB of QoS at the beginning because Bond was still driving his Aston Martin from White's house that was seen on CR... Again, the problem for me is THE DESIGN... It was really clean GB... It was lacking somehow, I don't know how to explain that one... And.... Bond keeps walking after gunbarrel... Seems to be weird for me that already watched all Bond films... Because I expected him to just stop walking, just standing in front of the circle, and blood came out from the top of GB...

And for Skyfall... I hope gunbarrel must be at the beginning to celebrate 50th anniversary and to really make this film back to classic Bond again, like what reviewers say and Mendes promises along this time... But, I read some comments about the tension, so to keep up with the tension, I think Skyfall GB shouldn't use traditional Bond theme, but with the theme that will be used as opening scene theme.... Like in QoS car chase may be, and the sound from Gunbarrel keeps continuing to the scene until the credit starts... (hard to explain but I hope you understand what I mean, my english is bad...)

Okay, thank you.... I hope it isn't as 'meaningless comment' as I thought before.. :)
  • @andrewaboulton Exactly, when the white dots go across the screen you know you're in for a treat. I just hope whatever they've replaced it with is just as exciting.

@sirseanisbond Yep it's true.
    This thread in a nutshell:
    54261662.gif

=)) Brilliant.
  • xolani wrote:
    I'm really not as disappointed about the gunbarrel as I am about
    the "F word" being dropped in a Bond movie.

Why?????? What is so bad about the word f**k?

As far as I'm concerned, it's a beautiful word :D
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 4,619
    1. They didn't decide to not put the gunbarrel at the beginning for no reason. I believe once we watch the movie we will understand whey the gunbarrel wouldn't work at the start of the film.
    2. I'm perfectly fine with no gunbarrel at the beginning. On the other hand I'm not happy about the gunbarrel being at the end. To me it's just too pompous. Like the BIG Bond theme at the end of OHMSS right after Bond's wife dies - it doesn't work.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 130
    tqb wrote:
    What do Europeans actually think of us Americans? :O

When it comes to things like that: I think Americans follow a very strange logic. Brutal violence, sexism, the most depressing atmosphere (Nolan's Batman trilogy comes to mind) are ok, but OH NO, HE JUST USED THE F WORD WHILE KILLING 20 PEOPLE WITH A MACHINE GUN!

Same applies for the legal gun carry, driving and drinking age - they make no sense at all. ;)

But I guess I'm waaay off topic here, I apologize.
    xolani wrote:
    I'm really not as disappointed about the gunbarrel as I am about
    the "F word" being dropped in a Bond movie.

Why?????? What is so bad about the word f***?

In European culture, probably nothing really, but over here in America that word is very offensive and is not to be taken lightly. It's considered to be very bad and very adult. Many people get very offended by it and I can definitely see some problems with it being in a family-friendly franchise and people taking their kids to see it and getting upset it's in there. In fact, I kind of feel shaky taking my parents to see it with me because of that. It's just a word that doesn't belong in a Bond movie.

That's nothing compared to me sitting in a movie theater, with me mom no less, watching 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo'. Certain scenes weren't ones that I would have wanted to watch with me mom sitting right next to me.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    This might sound like a stupid idea, it's just me brain farting but could the gb be elsewhere due to Bond actually being shot from Eve's sniper rifle?
    I think you've hit the nail on the head, @doubleoego.
    doubleoego wrote:
    This might sound like a stupid idea, it's just me brain farting but could the gb be elsewhere due to Bond actually being shot from Eve's sniper rifle?

It does sound like a stupid idea.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 669
    I obviously can’t speak for all Americans, but the simple (and somewhat sad) fact is that many of them – some of my own friends and family included – have no issues with deplorable violence on screen but get turned off to the F word. Bond can drink, womanize, and kill hundreds of people in cold blood, and that’s fine. But the moment he drops the F bomb, many people will be bothered.

It seems extremely strange to me, but there it is.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Personally, I don't think anyone will be bothered.

If it was directed by Simon West and had a R rating, THEN they would've been.
  • doubleoego wrote:

I don't follow, mate?
  • doubleoego wrote:

I don't follow, mate?
    I don't either.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    edited October 2012 Posts: 2,539
    maxcraig wrote:

What are you on about ? the GB at the end of QOS had nothing to do with screenwriter's strike.[/quote]

Irony...

I think Forster was guilty.

Again.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    ggl007 wrote:
    maxcraig wrote:

What are you on about ? the GB at the end of QOS had nothing to do with screenwriter's strike.

Irony...

I think Forster was guilty.

Again.
    [/quote]

Yeah, the man should go to Lourdes. And Compostella. 10 times a month.

edited October 2012 Posts: 11,139
    doubleoego wrote:

I don't follow, mate?

We all know what the gb looks like and where it should be. However, we also know at the start of the film, leading to the TS, it's Eve who has her sniper tracking Bond (and Patrice) and it's through her rifle we see Bond being shot and falling to his doom as opposed to Bond shooting the anonymous shooter tracking Bond for the gb.

As I said it was just me brain storming trying to find a reason as to why the traditional gb doesn't open up the movie.

• edited October 2012 Posts: 3,333
    doubleoego wrote:
    I don't follow, mate?
    My understanding is.... that it might be seen as a contradiction to have Bond turn and fire at the opener, not to mention a repeat of the same thing 7 minutes later whereby Eve has Bond in her sites but this time shoots and presumably kills him just before Daniel Kleinman's titles start. Basically, it's the polar opposite of the GB sequence whereby Bond doesn't get shot when he's the target. Follow?

PS. I've just noticed @doubleoego has explained pretty much how I saw it from his original post,
    Exactly!
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    bondsum wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    I don't follow, mate?
    My understanding is.... that it might be seen as a contradiction to have Bond turn and fire at the opener, not to mention a repeat of the same thing 7 minutes later whereby Eve has Bond in her sites but this time shoots and presumably kills him just before Daniel Kleinman's titles start. Basically, it's the polar opposite of the GB sequence whereby Bond doesn't get shot when he's the target. Follow?

PS. I've just noticed @doubleoego has explained pretty much how I saw it from his original post,

Yep! Makes a whole lot of sense, just a few minutes later Bond is seen from a similar perspective but is shot.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 624
    As much as that makes sense, I'll bet that has nothing to do with it.
    It was done in QoS, it is a new tradition to put it at the end. Simple as that.
    But we know from Tony's Twitter to Gareth that "it didn't feel right" at the beginning.
    I think Ego has made a very astute observation and I'm inclined to agree with him.
    See original Twitter below...

@MusicEditorcouk: @Gareth_00789 yes I do…because it didn't feel right - there's a MUCH better way of opening it…but you can't please everyone ;)
    See, I do not agree with the guy who said it didn't feel right at the beginning. A gunbarrel at the beginning is ALWAYS the best way to open a Bond film, hands down, all the time.

That being said, it is not the end of the world, and I am not in the fetal position over this unlike some others.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Would anyone actually care if there was a gunbarrel then he was shot by a sniper 10 minutes later though? Sorry but I don't think that's why they moved it.

I think it's at the end because

1) They've come up with something which they think is better than the gunbarrel and they want that at the start.

Or 2) They're insane and thought "people loved it in QOS, lets do it again!!!
    @thelivingroyale

I wouldn't. Bond was killed in YOLT less than 10 minutes after the gunbarrel. Same deal.

I heard that the opening shot is pretty good. Perhaps they though the gunbarrel would ruin the effect.
    1. They didn't decide to not put the gunbarrel at the beginning for no reason. I believe once we watch the movie we will understand whey the gunbarrel wouldn't work at the start of the film.
    2. I'm perfectly fine with no gunbarrel at the beginning. On the other hand I'm not happy about the gunbarrel being at the end. To me it's just too pompous. Like the BIG Bond theme at the end of OHMSS right after Bond's wife dies - it doesn't work.

Spot on. People to should watch the movie and then decide. And you're dead right about blasting out the Bond theme at the end not working. It's really disconcerting to hear it when you're still contemplating a satisfying conclusion.