Adele - 'Skyfall' title song discussion

Comments

• edited October 2012 Posts: 2
    Volante wrote:
    With any luck she'll maybe indulge in some more candy bars and explode

Bit of a low blow there.

Also, add this statement here as well...
    that may be appreciated by some stone deaf sixteen year old girls

I don't appreciate how you worded that. I am deaf myself and quite honestly, it's insulting.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 58
    I think it's perfectly OK for someone to not like Adele and not be pleased with the decision. Not everyone is a fan, everyone has different taste in music. Although I don't understand having that opinion without even hearing the song. I think it sounds beautiful, from what is heard in the preview.
    With any luck she'll maybe indulge in some more candy bars and explode
    I think this was unnecessary.
    All I can see is a duplicate of some of the crap garbage entries we have recently endured, talentless singers such as Keys and even Madonna in 2002, but we all know she is actually a very good artist, but that years effort was abysmal.

I honestly don't see how you can compare Madonna to Adele??? Actually good artist?
    that may be appreciated by some stone deaf sixteen year old girls

SMH Offensive and inaccurate!
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 1,215
    It really irks me that people who I presume to be full grown adults go on the internet and throw around these insulting comments about such a talented, beautiful, young woman who is actively achieving a very difficult and impressive weight loss program. Not only is it nonsensical to attack someone who has never personally done any harm to you, but I find it even more ridiculous to say these things so insensitively. My fiancee, years ago, was not the thinnest of all ladies and she went through some awful heartbreak and torment through the years, especially her teenage years (which are difficult for any young lady), and rededicated her life and is now down to a healthy weight and looking fabulous as well. I'm sure she is not the only one who has dealt with these issues, and I think it's safe to say there's likely some who are reading these forums who have had similar experiences. We're here to talk Bond music so let's talk Bond music, and leave the childish personal attacks on the playground where they belong.

/end rant
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 1,310
    I'm sure @Baltimore_007 was not out to insult anyone, though there were some 'low blows' as some have stated.

Look, I'm no Adele fan. I got truly sick and tired of hearing her music on the radio every other song.

-HOWEVER-

I have fallen in love with the preview I've heard for 'Skyfall' and there is no doubt in my mind I will adore the finished product. Just remember, this is coming from someone who does not own a single Adele track and never really cared for her whole shtick. Not that I ever disliked her, mind you, I just never got into her music. I was truly indifferent after knowing Adele was the pick. But like I said, I think Skyfall is going to be one of my favorite Bond tunes.

Even after listening to just 1:30 of the song, I feel comfortable in saying that Adele and Paul Epworth have done some amazing work.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 2,594
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I don't care what anyone thinks of her, I refuse to believe anyone could listen to Adele - whether they despise her music or not - and NOT agree that she has a killer voice.

I'm not really a fan of Adele although I've only heard her hit songs that have been played on the radio. Still, the only one I like is 'Set Fire To The Rain'. Since I first heard the rumours that she'd be doing the Bond theme I felt that she was a good choice because of the fact that she has a wonderful voice.

I'm sure part of the song will showcase her explosive vocals and it will surely sound less plain than it does at the moment but I have a feeling the song will have the basic Bond theme running consistently throughout which to me is lazy composing and nothing original. I hope I'm wrong. Still, I like the Bond theme so I think the tune of this Skyfall sample is okay. If the Bond theme does run throughout the whole song it could become a bit tedious to listen to after a while
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    There are quite a few low blows and incredibly insulting arguments in this thread, and it's really upsetting to read. At least we have someone confirmed to do a theme song for a Bond film that we (loyal, die-hard James Bond fans) have waited four years for. We could have nothing, MGM could have ceased, and somehow, the James Bond series could have ended forever.

Be grateful for what you have.
  • Another thing I've noticed some people feel that popularity=lack of quality. This isn't One Direction performing feelgood electro-pop geared for preteens. The fact that someone is having immense mainstream success does mean they do not have the ability to produce a quality Bond theme.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Another thing I've noticed some people feel that popularity=lack of quality. This isn't One Direction performing feelgood electro-pop geared for preteens. The fact that someone is having immense mainstream success does mean they do not have the ability to produce a quality Bond theme.

That's very true but some people seem to forget (or fail to recognize) it.
  • I just listened to the clip, and I must say, I'm quite happy. :)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I've been trying to avoid this thread like the plague, but it seems there's just no getting away from the damn thing, so I'll be quick, this will probably run and run until Armageddon or Dinosaurs once again roam the earth, but I only need to comment the once and I'll try and keep it decent

So we have a confirmation that the Adele kid will do the song for James Bond 23. My reaction on this was one of distaste, frustration, disappointment, it was all those things. I don't appreciate her music, think she's highly overrated, too much hyperbole over a singer I simply don't rate and think it was another lousy choice by those responsible in making the decision. All I can see is a duplicate of some of the crap garbage entries we have recently endured, talentless singers such as Keys and even Madonna in 2002, but we all know she is actually a very good artist, but that years effort was abysmal. I can't see any change for this year. I haven't heard the actual Adele kid theme song yet, there's no sense in that, as we'll be going to see the Skyfall release in a few short weeks, and we'll wait 'til then, I don't wish to hear what is on offer before time, we'll take our seats in the theater and see (or hear) just what is presented, but I'm not one for rushing in in a frenzy like some participants, and it would just be a major spoiler for me, I think I may only need to hear it the once and that should be enough. It's just not an artist I can recognize, and no fan of the "singer", or any of her work, OK, she may be the epitome of greatness to some or the greatest thing since electricity, but it doesn't work that way for everyone. It's merely a preference. With any luck she'll maybe indulge in some more candy bars and explode, but it seems the damage has been done

I'm not out to upset anybody, but I can't be insincere with this, it's merely for me, what I truly feel is another upcoming poor theme song for Bond in recent years. Not who I wanted for this, but it seems somewhere, somebody, just recently for James Bond, has a penchant for artists totally devoid of talent and awful whiny women, that may be appreciated by some stone deaf sixteen year old girls, but this for me, is another Bond theme failure. If we can't voice our opinions, then what's the sense of any discussion boards anywhere on the 'net ?

This (thread) may invariably run and run until the year 2024 or something but that's all I have to say on the issue. I'm guessing there's other areas of James Bond we can explore or discuss. At least it's out the way now, and in more ways than one

I appreciate where your coming from but you pretty much discredited yourself after making a personal insult about Adele, pretty much insulting people who do appreciate her music by calling them 16 yr old girls and then are now hiding behind your weak reasoning of voicing opinions as well as making it clear you have no intention to return to this thread. A simple statement of you voicing your disappointment would have sufficed. Just out of curiosity, I'd be personally interested to know which artists you would consider to be talented and worthy enough to get you excited about a Bond theme.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    I was really impressed by the preview, IMO this could possibly be the best Bond theme for years, not really a fan of Adele but her voice does seem perfect for this type of song. Can't wait to hear the whole track.
  • 00Zenon00Zenon Perth, Australia
    Ok, I'm abit confuzled here,
    I'm from Perth Australia, which puts me 7 hours behind UK
    The countdown on Adele site is saying 7 (<- hehe) hours remaining
    But when I calculate it it says that I have at least 12+ more hours...
    What's going on, am I doing something wrong?
    Is it worth staying up all night...to find out the site lied?
    :\
    00Zenon wrote:

I'm in Sydney and couldn't figure it out, so I'll be staying up and refreshing MI6 Community every so often.
  • 00Zenon00Zenon Perth, Australia
    Volante wrote:
    00Zenon wrote:

I'm in Sydney and couldn't figure it out, so I'll be staying up and refreshing MI6 Community every so often.

I think I will do it anyway, even with uni early tomorrow,
    worth it for Bond of course!

Are you also as peeved off about the release date as I am?
    00Zenon wrote:
    Volante wrote:
    00Zenon wrote:

I think I will do it anyway, even with uni early tomorrow,
    worth it for Bond of course!

Are you also as peeved off about the release date as I am?

So annoyed, a full month to wait? We're not a foreign language market or anything like that, absolutely ridiculous.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Besides all this talk about Adele's title track and how it shapes up so far, I am excited that on Friday we will also get the final Skyfall poster!
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 655
    Im no big fan of Adele, but because im a huge bond fan, i still get excited about the theme. Im no fan of adele, but you cannot deny she has a great voice. They wanted something classy and Adele is a perfect choice, dont know how anyone can think otherwise. I enjoyed the sample, and im glad i did.

Even iwth the quantum of solace theme, i was still excited when listening to it, even thought it wasnt great. I am easily pleased when it comes ot anything Bond!
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    edited October 2012 Posts: 1,182
    The countdown must be wrong. I assume it calculates the remaining time based on your local time. Which is obviously wrong. It's at 0:07 London time, not 0:07 in every timezone.

It means we have less than 12 hours to go.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Bounine wrote:
    This made me laugh a bit:

I actually really liked that. Nice voice. It's.. different.

I enjoyed it. The lyrics made me a laugh a little.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Wait! We're getting another poster tomorrow too?? Has this actually been cinformed?

Also, with the premiere being at TRAH, I wonder of Adele might do a live performance of the theme.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    doubleoego wrote:
    Wait! We're getting another poster tomorrow too?? Has this actually been cinformed?

Also, with the premiere being at TRAH, I wonder of Adele might do a live performance of the theme.
    No, the poster has not been confirmed, I just assumed it would be high time they release one, otherwise the teaser and cardboards with DC on his back and shooting the gun are there to stay.

• edited October 2012 Posts: 655
    if its london time, it will be the same for me in uk. My clock is right and it works out at 7 minutes past 12.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    00Zenon wrote:
    Volante wrote:

My computer is saying 2 hrs 20 mins to go...!!
    But it's wrong :(

I believe in Australia, it will be released Fri Oct 4 9:07am EST
  • Another thing I've noticed some people feel that popularity=lack of quality.

That's perceptive of you to notice. It took me a while to notice that a lot of people that I worked with in the arts had that kind of attitude, and now a lot of so-called "hipsters" seemed to have inherited it.

In my opinion a lot of the people who do it use it as a stealth way of trying to convince people that they are smarter or more cultured than them. "Look, I can understand how all of YOU may be fooled in to liking that, but my tastes are so superior to yours that I'm the one person special/smart/talented enough to see that they aren't any good. Too bad that you don't have as good a sense of taste as I do..."

Of course, when it comes to artists themselves - singers, actors, etc - sometimes they adopt this attitude to explain away their lack of success - i.e. they can convince themselves that they are incredibly talented, unfortunately the "unwashed masses" are too unsophisticated to appreciate it and settle for untalented hacks.

Not every artist is like this - usually it's the ones who are struggling and unsuccessful - and not everyone who dislikes something popular is pompous or pretentious. But I would say that a very large number of them are!

She's a class act, this is going to be awesome. Roll on tom..
    OddJaws wrote:

Yeah, let the sky fall on all those whiny complainers :-P.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    OddJaws wrote:

Of course people are entitled to their opinion. It's when that opinion is forced onto others that it becomes a problem.
    I'm more than happy that Adele is performing the title song for Skyfall. I think she is a wonderfully talented singer, and I love her work. There are those who will disagree with me. I'm fine with that.

OddJaws wrote:

Oh.. Jeez, Ouch, that's awful. But I like you!!
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 11,119
    Benny wrote:
    OddJaws wrote:

Of course people are entitled to their opinion. It's when that opinion is forced onto others that it becomes a problem.
    I'm more than happy that Adele is performing the title song for Skyfall. I think she is a wonderfully talented singer, and I love her work. There are those who will disagree with me. I'm fine with that.

I am just joking Benny. But I see it from the positive side. I've already seen many new posters, including those who like to throw up 'hatemail' on this forum. It's what you get when the buzz goes around and becomes a huge hit. The news about Adele attracts many people, but also those who'd like to see her gone.

I do think that:
    --> the Adele-buzz,
    --> the possibility of an actual Oscar for Adele,
    --> the 5th of October being official 'James Bond Day',
    --> the possibility of the 1st number one hit for a Bond song after 'A View To A Kill',
    --> the 50 year Golden Jubilee,
    --> the back-to-back premieres of the documentary 'Everything Or Nothing' and the Bond film 'Skyfall',
    --> the actual return of a bit more 'larger-than-life' elements, like the gunbarrel opening....albeit in a nuanced way....

.....will propell the gross worldwide box office results of 'Skyfall' close to 900 Million Dollars. This'll be the 'Thunderball' of our lifetime. And then the criticism of others about Adele's theme song will fall even more flat :-).

But off course, we live in free countries (I hope so) and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just....let's be respectful and counteract opinions with well-written arguments and a bit of self-criticised humour :-)
  • Everybody has an opinion...and that's fine. But why is there so much Oscar talk lately regarding Skyfall?
    We haven't seen the movie, not even heard a full version of Adele's song! Surely it's a bit premature talking about the Oscars? Especially regarding Bond...

But I agree that if all comes together, it could really be a special movie and a great time for a Bond fan! However, I wait til I hear and see it!

Not long to go anymore guys! :-)