Adele - 'Skyfall' title song discussion

Comments

Goldfinger overrated!!!!

That super sharp and witty screenplay. Wonderful story. Iconic characters. Terrific set pieces. The DB5. Connery owning Bond. Superb score by Mr. Barry. Iconic title sequence - and that song is regarded as a classic for a very, very good reason.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Yeah Gf is overrated, I much prefer JB's score to the theme, DAF is definetly Bassey's best.
    Shardlake wrote:
    Yeah Gf is overrated, I much prefer JB's score to the theme, DAF is definetly Bassey's best.

Well, DAF is also a very good song, no question.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Bounine wrote:
    Bounine wrote:
    I want to listen to it in order to decide whether I will buy it from i tunes.

You will be able to listen to it here: http://home.adele.tv/

Oh thanks. So it'll be there to listen to for a limited time then?

No, it will be up there for a good long while I would think. At least until the 26th.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Bounine wrote:
    Bounine wrote:

No, it will be up there for a good long while I would think. At least until the 26th.
    I might be blind, but I can't find something to listen on there.
    ColonelSun wrote:
    Goldfinger overrated!!!!

That super sharp and witty screenplay. Wonderful story. Iconic characters. Terrific set pieces. The DB5. Connery owning Bond. Superb score by Mr. Barry. Iconic title sequence - and that song is regarded as a classic for a very, very good reason.

I agree.

I've heard GF being slagged off so many times on here, and from otherwise apparently sane members. It's one of the all time classics.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Bounine wrote:
    Bounine wrote:

The song isn't out until Friday.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 2,598
    This made me laugh a bit:

• DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Bounine wrote:
    Bounine wrote:

The song isn't out until Friday.
    Oh, I misunderstood. Thought you were talking about the "preview" (prehear?).
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    GF the movie is indeed a classic, full of iconography and other great things but I do find the film overrated, especially when people say Connery was at his best in the film. Imo Connery was superior in FRWL and for me GF's strongest asset outside of the sets and the score was Gert Frobe himself.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 655
    I think Skyfall theme seems ot be on the lines of Goldfinger theme. I actualy am liking the skyfall theme more from what ive heared. Roll on Friday. Only one more sleep till wee all get to listen to it.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 5,745
    Bounine wrote:

I actually really liked that. Nice voice. It's.. different.
    actonsteve wrote:

Just resetting the link to the song bite. It's cool. Big, brassy and totally reminds me of the classic, real, Connery films. Even heard the Norman Bond theme woven into the piece.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Bounine wrote:

Me too. Alot better than Madonna and Jack Black's songs
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    LeChiffre wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Bounine wrote:

Jack WHITE. Man, some people just don't know their lights and shadows... ;)
    LeChiffre wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Bounine wrote:

Jack WHITE. Man, some people just don't know their lights and shadows... ;)

So this wasn't the official theme of QOS???
  • The Adele song is bland and dull and safe. Barry pastiche and little more. IMO it takes more than a few flourishes of JBond theme arrangement to make a Bond song.At least Madonna tried to create something different. Probably a huge hit and a strong marketing tool for the movie but for me a big disappointment. However, I'm willing to be convinced by the full version on Friday morning.
    let's see what comes out on friday. it might pick up a bit. sounds like on a par with YKMN and Surrender to me - quite Arnoldesque.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Getafix wrote:
    ColonelSun wrote:
    Goldfinger overrated!!!!

I agree.

I've heard GF being slagged off so many times on here, and from otherwise apparently sane members. It's one of the all time classics.

I watched it again only this weekend and while I'll say the PTS is easily on of the best of the series I really don't rate it that highly. Everything is fine till he's captured but after that it goes down hill considerably. All the stud farm sequences send me to sleep and despite some exceptional work by Mr Adam the Fort Knox climax is incredibly underwhelming and Goldfinger's final moments on board that plane are just downright terrible. Frobe makes a memorable villain but Blackman must be one of the least attractive Bond girls of the series and a tad wooden and considering that name it doesn't ring true. Cec Linder is one of the worst Leiter's of the series and just comes across like some Bond lackey not an equal as he should be.

Barry as usual is on top form and provides his strongest score to that point, I don't mind Bassey's theme but I much prefer DAF and would put GF 2nd with MR 3rd in ranking of her 3 songs. I acknowledge it has some iconic moments but as a whole it's lacking , I watched TB the next day and I prefer it but it has moments where I loose my interest, I still rank Connery as my favourite but that is on the back of FRWL which for me stands up as his best film by far.
    Most Bond movies tail off towards the end really. The resolutions are usually cliched and predictable. However, I think the final scenes of GF were original at that time. And frankly Adams sets are like extra characters in the story. Amazing.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    I wished this was the Skyfall theme

I wished this was the Skyfall theme

that was quite amusing
  • oo7oo7

The official theme tune for the new James Bond film, Skyfall, has been leaked online.

It comes a day after Adele confirmed she had recorded the song.

She posted a picture of the song credits on her official Twitter page.

The track was not due to be unveiled until 0.07 BST on Friday, 5 October.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/19800282

when? i thought it had been teased only?
    where can I get it!?!?!?!?
    I believe they mean the 1.30 preview, I've read a few other articles that say it has 'leaked', offering the soundcloud link to the preview as the leak.
    Boo!

I thought the whole song had leaked.
  • I've been trying to avoid this thread like the plague, but it seems there's just no getting away from the damn thing, so I'll be quick, this will probably run and run until Armageddon or Dinosaurs once again roam the earth, but I only need to comment the once and I'll try and keep it decent

So we have a confirmation that the Adele kid will do the song for James Bond 23. My reaction on this was one of distaste, frustration, disappointment, it was all those things. I don't appreciate her music, think she's highly overrated, too much hyperbole over a singer I simply don't rate and think it was another lousy choice by those responsible in making the decision. All I can see is a duplicate of some of the crap garbage entries we have recently endured, talentless singers such as Keys and even Madonna in 2002, but we all know she is actually a very good artist, but that years effort was abysmal. I can't see any change for this year. I haven't heard the actual Adele kid theme song yet, there's no sense in that, as we'll be going to see the Skyfall release in a few short weeks, and we'll wait 'til then, I don't wish to hear what is on offer before time, we'll take our seats in the theater and see (or hear) just what is presented, but I'm not one for rushing in in a frenzy like some participants, and it would just be a major spoiler for me, I think I may only need to hear it the once and that should be enough. It's just not an artist I can recognize, and no fan of the "singer", or any of her work, OK, she may be the epitome of greatness to some or the greatest thing since electricity, but it doesn't work that way for everyone. It's merely a preference. With any luck she'll maybe indulge in some more candy bars and explode, but it seems the damage has been done

I'm not out to upset anybody, but I can't be insincere with this, it's merely for me, what I truly feel is another upcoming poor theme song for Bond in recent years. Not who I wanted for this, but it seems somewhere, somebody, just recently for James Bond, has a penchant for artists totally devoid of talent and awful whiny women, that may be appreciated by some stone deaf sixteen year old girls, but this for me, is another Bond theme failure. If we can't voice our opinions, then what's the sense of any discussion boards anywhere on the 'net ?

This (thread) may invariably run and run until the year 2024 or something but that's all I have to say on the issue. I'm guessing there's other areas of James Bond we can explore or discuss. At least it's out the way now, and in more ways than one
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 774
    With any luck she'll maybe indulge in some more candy bars and explode

Bit of a low blow there.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't care what anyone thinks of her, I refuse to believe anyone could listen to Adele - whether they despise her music or not - and NOT agree that she has a killer voice.
  • Volante wrote:
    With any luck she'll maybe indulge in some more candy bars and explode

Bit of a low blow there.

Indeed, although @Baltimore_007 may be pleasantly surprised upon seeing the film. If you're truly expecting a duplicate of the themes produced in recent years then you'll be in for a serious surprise, because in no way does it resemble any of the modern themes. In fact, I prefer her voice to Shirley Bassey. *prepares for backlash from Bassey fans*