Adele - 'Skyfall' title song discussion

Comments

imranbecks wrote:
    I cannot stop humming the song.... Tell me i'm not the only one doing that...

Same here, and i cant stop listening to the snippet either..
    Trailer uploaded here.

Great song; just what I hoped it would sound like!

• w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Link seems to have been taken down. Does anyone have a copy of it?
    I thnk, its nothing incredibly new, au conraire - its sounding like the Bond themes we have come to love and its instantly recognizable as such. Like they said - classic Bond.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 2,596
    I like it a bit more now I've heard it more. I've also had a few vodkas, so... It definitely sounds better through headphones. Never listen "to The Beatles without ear muffs!"
    w2bond wrote:
    Link seems to have been taken down. Does anyone have a copy of it?

It has more poignancy when you watch it together with the abover trailer.
    "We will stand taaaall, face it aaaall together...." - love that part!!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    We were promised a Bond film with a capital B; while my musical taste leans toward Duran Duran, Paul McCartney and Garbage, this is a BOND THEME in all caps. It's perfect for the 50th, retro but fresh.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    wow that is a great song!!! Thank you EON for finally delivering a great song in years!
  • actonsteve wrote:
    Sounds like the same 1:30 sample we've been hearing, though better quality (or maybe just higher volume). I still think the complete song will sound MUCH better.
  • A few people have said they can't stop humming the tune but all I'm getting from that snippet is the Bond theme with Adele singing over it, don't get me wrong, I like it, but, I've been humming it too, for the last thirty five years.....
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Germanlady wrote:
    Skyfall is trending

If I didn't hate Twitter I'd probably care. Still, I suppose it's publicity.
    Okay, here's my list of TOP 10 favourite Bond songs:

01) Shirley Bassey with 'Diamonds Are Forever'
    02) Shirley Bassey with 'Moonraker'
    03) A-Ha with 'The Living Daylights'
    04) *NEW* Adele with 'SkyFall' (with a grain of salt, as I haven't heard the full version yet)
    05) KD Lang with 'Surrender'
    06) Carly Simon with 'Nobody Does It Better' (Oscar nomination)
    07) Duran Duran with 'A View To A Kill' (Last Number 1 Hit, Grammy nomination)
    08) Paul McCartney & Wings with 'Live And Let Die' (Oscar nomination)
    09) Nancy Sinatra with 'You Only Live Twice
    10) Tina Turner with 'GoldenEye

I think it's a bit too soon to start ranking Adele theme. Anyway, if we're doing this, here's my top 5 (not sure about my top 10).

1) Live And Let Die
    2) You Know My Name
    3) The Living Daylights
    4) The World Is Not Enough
    5) Goldeneye
    A few people have said they can't stop humming the tune but all I'm getting from that snippet is the Bond theme with Adele singing over it, don't get me wrong, I like it, but, I've been humming it too, for the last thirty five years.....

My sentiments exactly.

• doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    Been humming it all day.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 655

Check this out -
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Very good. Wish I could play the piano. Actually, the guitar!
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 163
    Just listened to a fragment of it posted in the Internet, also reported in the BBC. Sounds good! Reminds me of Shirley Basseywhen I listened to her watching GF first when it was first released and later in DAF.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 30
    Just got back from doing a great interview about the Bond theme for tonight's news. Will update soon and tweet about it too in a few minutes!

Lizo.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Lizo wrote:
    Just got back from doing a great interview about the Bond theme for tonight's news. Will update soon and tweet about it too in a few minutes!

Lizo.

Who did you interview?

• =bg= wrote:
    Don't know much of Muse- what's this Bond-sounding song people refer to?
    I think this is it:

Very Bondish.
    Can I say someone? I think the new 'Skyfall' theme song will be a much bigger success than its three predecessors. Madonna's 'Die Another Day' was too much tailored for the young female audience, whereas 'Another Way To Die' and 'You Know My Name' where much more favoured by the typical male Bond audience. I have a gut feeling that 'Skyfall' will be appreciated by more focus groups, including both men and women. And let's not forget, the majority on this forum consists of nerdy male Bond fans, not women ;-).
    Well, listening to that piano version, I hate to say it, but it sounds like she threw in every Bond cliche in the book. It just is completely built around the James Bond theme.

Still, very beautifully done and very catchy, but kinda a bit just too predictable. When will we have a song that is more original, like Nobody Does It Better?
  • Well, listening to that piano version, I hate to say it, but it sounds like she threw in every Bond cliche in the book. It just is completely built around the James Bond theme.

Still, very beautifully done and very catchy, but kinda a bit just too predictable. When will we have a song that is more original, like Nobody Does It Better?

I personally like that it sounds like the James Bond theme. It IS the 50th anniversary. :)
    edited October 2012 Posts: 864
    @Robs9090, Yes, I suppose that's true. It's just I don't like being slapped in the face with it. I mean, it's like the musical equivalent of Q's old workshop in DAD.

Having said that, I like this a hell of a lot more than that!
    Lizo wrote:

Lizo.

Is this supposed to be Lizo Mzimba from the BBC? He's done many BBC articles for Bond in the past...

• @Robs9090, Yes, I suppose that's true. It's just I don't like being slapped in the face with it. I mean, it's like the musical equivalent of Q's old workshop in DAD.

Having said that, I like this a hell of a lot more than that!

Yep, I agree with you there.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    =bg= wrote:
    Don't know much of Muse- what's this Bond-sounding song people refer to?
    The one we were referring to is actually "Supremacy". The first track off their new album The 2nd Law

Listening to it now, you're quite right. A little busy in spots for my taste, but I hear it.

Well, listening to that piano version, I hate to say it, but it sounds like she threw in every Bond cliche in the book. It just is completely built around the James Bond theme.

I do agree to a certain extend. 'Nobody Does It Better', and to a lesser extend 'For Your Eyes Only', where just ballads on itself. Only the fact that they were used for a Bond film, made them a Bond song. But musically, it could also have been a title theme for a heavy Oscar drama, like 'On Golden Pond'.

'Skyfall' has indeed 'Bond' written all over it. But that's a Bond song no? It should be recognizable as such. Amy Winehouse introduced us to a new soul sound, but in itself she was inspired by the 1960's soul from the likes of Dusty, Dionne and Nancy Sinatra.

I think that's now happening more clearly with the Bond theme 'Skyfall'. We go back to the original music roots of Bond. Call it unoriginal, but how on Earth can we be completely original if musicians keep inspiring one another. That's the great thing about music: It is open for debate, for music, for taste, but most importantly it is a human phenomenon in which the ears do all the work.

So far our dear villain Elliot Carver is right: Give the people what they want. And I have the feeling 'Skyfall' is appealing more more to a larger audience then the past 4 or 5 Bond songs. That's the obvious choice of the Bond producers. And I take less originality for granted then. As long as the overall melody stays original enough, which is the case.
    Just watching the BBC 6 O'Clock News where Lizo's report is just about to be shown.