SPECTRE Spoilerish News and discussions

Comments

The homepage for YouTube is running an altered version of the Skyfall Heineken ad.

Marketing on overdrive!
    BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH SET TO BE NEXT BOND BADDIE

BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH is set to lock horns with Daniel Craig by starring as the next Bond villain, Day & Night has learned.

The 36-year-old Sherlock star is expected to be signed up for the next instalment of the lucrative 007 franchise, due to be released in 2014.

The news comes as fans look forward to forthcoming film Skyfall hitting the big screen next month.

"Benedict is considered perfect Bond villain material," we're told.

"Work on the next film will begin next year and the plan is for Benedict to be on board. He grew up watching Bond, so it would be a childhood ambition fulfilled. Playing a Bond villain is one of the plum roles in film history and he'd jump at the chance."

Benedict has seen his star rise dramatically in recent years having won plaudits for his portrayal of Sherlock Holmes in the hit BBC series set in the present day.

As well as starring in the acclaimed BBC drama Parade's End, which finished last week, his movie career has blossomed of late, after being cast as a baddie in the next Star Trek film and as the dragon Smaug in the forthcoming trilogy of Hobbit films, which also sees his Sherlock co-star Martin Freeman in the lead role of Bilbo Baggins.

http://www.express.co.uk/features/view/347928/Benedict-Cumberbatch-set-to-be-next-Bond-baddie
  • Germanlady wrote:
    BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH SET TO BE NEXT BOND BADDIE

BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH is set to lock horns with Daniel Craig by starring as the next Bond villain, Day & Night has learned.

The 36-year-old Sherlock star is expected to be signed up for the next instalment of the lucrative 007 franchise, due to be released in 2014.

The news comes as fans look forward to forthcoming film Skyfall hitting the big screen next month.

"Benedict is considered perfect Bond villain material," we're told.

"Work on the next film will begin next year and the plan is for Benedict to be on board. He grew up watching Bond, so it would be a childhood ambition fulfilled. Playing a Bond villain is one of the plum roles in film history and he'd jump at the chance."

Benedict has seen his star rise dramatically in recent years having won plaudits for his portrayal of Sherlock Holmes in the hit BBC series set in the present day.

As well as starring in the acclaimed BBC drama Parade's End, which finished last week, his movie career has blossomed of late, after being cast as a baddie in the next Star Trek film and as the dragon Smaug in the forthcoming trilogy of Hobbit films, which also sees his Sherlock co-star Martin Freeman in the lead role of Bilbo Baggins.

http://www.express.co.uk/features/view/347928/Benedict-Cumberbatch-set-to-be-next-Bond-baddie
    Wait.... how credible/possible is this. Skyfall isn't even out and they've already started casting Bond 24? Do we even have a director?
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 6,601
    Not very credible, but its fun, how the rumor start early. Maybe we even need a Bond 24 thread ;)

But it wouldn't be a bad choice. Cumberbatch is popular..
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I love this man. It would be great news indeed, though I would prefer him to be "on the side of the angels" as Moriarty would say. It is lovely to see him continuing to climb and get more and more roles that his talent has more than earned.
    You must've been up at the crack of dawn, @Germanlady, scouring the net for anything Bond related? Like I said on a previous... AHAM... thread, I'll take this with a pinch of salt. Without a finished script it's rare that an actor would sign up or consider a role he knows very little about, apart from the obvious criminal traits required.
    No script, no director, no release date, nothing. Stupid rumour.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I wouldn't say no script but this can't be true it does seem to suggest the Bond 24 rumours may be starting very early. Great...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    They can only have a rough concept at least. They did set out to have scripts written for 24 and 25 not too long ago, but trying to argue that they have any definite plot just isn't likely.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    They did set out to have scripts written for 24 and 25 not too long ago, but trying to argue that they have any definite plot just isn't likely.

No, that was getting writer's contracts in place.

Logan had been rumoured to come up with ideas last October.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    They did set out to have scripts written for 24 and 25 not too long ago, but trying to argue that they have any definite plot just isn't likely.

No, that was getting writer's contracts in place.

Logan had been rumoured to come up with ideas last October.
    Ah, I see. Well, at least they have a good man on the job then. ;)
    Would love to see BC involved in a future film? However it is far too early to believe this? If in the future it turns out to be true? Brilliant! In the meantime? We have Javier Bardem! \:D/
    Benedict and Martin would be an awesome villainous twosome for Bond if they did a 70s vibe entry.
    Benedict and Martin would be an awesome villainous twosome for Bond if they did a 70s vibe entry.

They could be the NEW Wint and Kidd! ;)
    RogueAgent wrote:

I was going to say that, but then you have the trolls that will turn this thread into a discussion about how Holmes and Watson are gay lovers. 8-|
    RogueAgent wrote:

I was going to say that, but then you have the trolls that will turn this thread into a discussion about how Holmes and Watson are gay lovers. 8-|

=)) Yeah it is pretty sad how that happens.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    ComingSoon.net is doing a long distance box office prediction of SF, and they are estimating it will make $72-$75 million opening weekend:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/weekendwarriornews.php?id=95034
    Whatever that means

Daniel Baker ‏@coffeedoughnuts
    Skyfall Cast and Crew screening confirmed! Boom! Roll on 20th of October!
  • Obviously this is tabloid rumour-making but he's a great (although obvious?) Bond villain casting choice and I can imagine him as a Max Zorin-like heavy. In fact, he'd have made a great Max Zorin, period!

I do have a slight problem with casting villains younger than Bond when the actor playing him starts to get craggy. Not that I'm saying Craig doesn't look great, but I reckon it'd do him more favours on-screen in his last couple of outings to face villains who are five-or-so years his senior. However, that's a quibble unique to me, and I don't expect to be agreed with on that!
    Hell yeah, Sean and Dan. Who knew celebrities actually had good taste?! And Benedict has the same taste as me! That kinda makes me Watson! \m/
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Connery fair enough, but I think Craig was only chosen because he's the current Bond. In the 90s everybody was raving about how Brosnan was the best since Connery, if that poll was back then I reckon he would've won.

I think at the top of the polls, it'll always be Connery and whoever is the current Bond.
    The first one and the current one, what a suprise :-w

I knew someone would bring that up. It makes no sense to like someone just because their first. That's like lining you up in a room with 6 people that each slapped you in the exact same way, then afterwards saying that the first one hurt less than the other 5. It makes no sense to say that. Sean was simply the best, the icon, the blueprint. That's the way it is, and if that makes you soil your custom Timothy Dalton boxers, I am sorry. And Dan is bringing back a more grounded Bond, which people have needed after much of the last films were very over the top.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I changed my post before you posted that because I realised I was wrong.

Connery fair enough because he was so iconic, but Craig is the current Bond and the current Bond is always ahead in these things, him making the films more grounded has nothing to do with it (or else Dalton would be on top). Put this poll in he 90s and I bet Brosnan and Connery would be on top.
    I changed my post before you posted that because I realised I was wrong.

Connery fair enough because he was so iconic, but Craig is the current Bond and the current Bond is always ahead in these things, him making the films more grounded has nothing to do with it (or else Dalton would be on top). Put this poll in he 90s and I bet Brosnan and Connery would be on top.

Dalton wouldn't necessarily be near the top. Just because more than one actor did a similar style of films doesn't mean one would relate over the other. Dalton's films are good, but so much excess was packed on that Dan's era throws off, so maybe that is what people are more responsive to.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited September 2012 Posts: 11,139
    I dunno... In the 90s I could see it being Connery and Moore or Connery and Brosnan but that's in part due to lack of choice. Tim and Laz did 2 and 1 respectively and there are many people in this world who don't even know that there have been a total of 6 Bonds. Many will cite Connery, Moore, Brosnan and Craig, being completely oblivious to Dalton and Lazenby.

The fact is, many people see Connery as Bond in the same way that Mickey Mouse is Disney. Connery being first as the sole reason for his popularity is rubbish. Connery whether people like him or not was unbelievably iconic in the role. He is the standard every other Bond actor tries to live up to and it just so happens that Craig is doing exactly that in his own way. Connery and Craig as Bond have really brought an element of captivating significance that the other 4 have not been able to do.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Funny video, thanks for sharing @Germanlady! I agree with the majority for once.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    edited September 2012 Posts: 1,380
    Rampant and poorly researched speculation on the Skyfall budget and 'most expensive ever' claim by Dale Maily. That title will be held by QOS for a few years to come.
    One thing I hate about QoS, and many will agree, is that absolutely none of that big budget shows at all. A missed opportunity for some really awesome stuff, like actually going to many of the real life locations and more ramped up action. Where did all the money go to? Good god...