The Dark Knight Rises :: July 2012 (Spoilers)

Comments

gt007 wrote:
    In TDK, we saw a group of people that had suffered injustice and decided to follow in Batman's footsteps. The impersonators at the beginning of the film. Bruce later said to Alfred "That's not exactly what I had in mind when I said I wanted to inspire people".
    Why can't they be the symbol of Batman?
    Bruce says: Batman could be anybody. Not: Anybody could be Batman. There is a difference.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    edited August 2012 Posts: 1,182
    obin_gam wrote:
    gt007 wrote:
    In TDK, we saw a group of people that had suffered injustice and decided to follow in Batman's footsteps. The impersonators at the beginning of the film. Bruce later said to Alfred "That's not exactly what I had in mind when I said I wanted to inspire people".
    Bruce says: Batman could be anybody. Not: Anybody could be Batman. There is a difference.

Really? Why does "Batman could be anybody" exclude Brian Douglas, the impersonator that was killed by Joker?

PS: I meant to put this in my previous post, but forgot about it. You say it is very clear that Blake becomes Batman and not Robin... Why do you think everyone seems to think otherwise?

I think the point is that to the general public, the citicens of Gotham, when they see The Batman they see him as a symbol, [it] could be anybody. But to become The Batman, you just can't strap on a cape and cowl and go out in the night, you'll get killed instantly. You have to have something that drives you, keeps you strong during the darkest hours, anybody can't be Batman.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    (The following contains SPOILERS about the comic book series Batman: Hush)
    In Batman: Hush, Batman said about the death of Jason Todd, the second Robin:
    "Jason never had the skills that Dick had. I should never have let him put on the costume. No matter what differences we've had through the years, I've always known that Dick had a gift. Jason only had... rage. And I thought... hoped... that if I could channel that rage into something more productive... For these reasons I've carried the burden of responsibility for Jason's death".

That's exactly my point. Batman says that the kid had a motivation that drove him, but nothing more. Motivation is very very important, but not nearly enough.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    gt007 wrote:
    "Jason never had the skills that Dick had. I should never have let him put on the costume. No matter what differences we've had through the years, I've always known that Dick had a gift. Jason only had... rage. And I thought... hoped... that if I could channel that rage into something more productive... For these reasons I've carried the burden of responsibility for Jason's death".

That's exactly my point. Batman says that the kid had a motivation that drove him, but nothing more. Motivation is very very important, but not nearly enough.

Yeah, but the writing in HUSH is so-so, and some things Batman says in that series makes my eyes roll.

"Dick was right. I should have shaved."

Come on... :-<
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 5,767
    What a wonderfully ambiguous statement! =))
    gt007 wrote:
    Because they wore hockey pants.

But you´ve got a good point there, @gt007, with Bruce spending quite some time with the league of shadows.
    gt007 wrote:
    Batman says that the kid had a motivation that drove him, but nothing more. Motivation is very very important, but not nearly enough.
    Blake is more or less where Bruce was at the beginning of BB.
    On the other hand, Blake wouldn´t need to start right away. He could take his time, train himself or find someone who trains him, to make something out of his dedication.

gt007 wrote:
    You say it is very clear that Blake becomes Batman and not Robin... Why do you think everyone seems to think otherwise?
    Come on. Why is there a need to believe what participants in the film say? It´s a massive Hollywood production, they would say anything to promote the film. Even if it´s their true interpretation, Nolan had a reason to make the ending exactly as he did. If he wanted things to be 100% clear and definite he would have done so.

One thing Bruce had going for him and Blake doesn´t is body height. Batman being huge was one big point in his favor when it came to intimidating his opponents. Blake is 10inches shorter, he would have to look up to his opponents. That would defeat the purpose of theatricality. But, again, with the proper preparation, Blake could still be Batman.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 268
    " If he wanted things to be 100% clear and definite he would have done so."

But he did. There is no ambiguity in the ending at all. The title of the movie even says so. "THE DARK KNIGHT RISES", Batman is the dark knight which Blake has now become. Tthe script is even more on the nose than the films ending. In the script the last scene is:
    Blake lights his torch...then ducks, crouching, as THOUSANDS
    of SCREECHING creatures descend. BATS...

Blake lifts his head, FEELING the bats all around him...
    Blake RISES, and is SWALLOWED by the darkness of their wings
    and we -
    FADE OUT.
    CREDITS.
    END.

• edited August 2012 Posts: 4,813
    LOL I didn't make this but just had to share

23736474.jpg

and

tumblr_m9dqvzwFDc1qahnclo1_500.gif
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    edited August 2012 Posts: 1,182
    gt007 wrote:

Yeah, but the writing in HUSH is so-so, and some things Batman says in that series makes my eyes roll.

Come on... :-<
    So my argument is wrong because you didn't like a humorous line?
    boldfinger wrote:
    Well, not exactly. Bruce's parents were brutally murdered in front of him when he was young. He has a strong motivation to fight against Gotham's evil chaos that cost him his parents.
    On the other hand, if I remember correctly, Blake's father killed himself because he couldn't handle the debts. And his mother... well, I can't remember. My point is, Bruce's motivation is stronger. They're in a similar position, but not exactly similar.

boldfinger wrote:
    gt007 wrote:
    You say it is very clear that Blake becomes Batman and not Robin... Why do you think everyone seems to think otherwise?
    Come on. Why is there a need to believe what participants in the film say? It´s a massive Hollywood production, they would say anything to promote the film. Even if it´s their true interpretation, Nolan had a reason to make the ending exactly as he did. If he wanted things to be 100% clear and definite he would have done so.
    Actually, I was talking about Jimmy Kimmel. He is not involved with the film in any way, he saw it as just an audience member, and he thought Blake will become Robin. And he said so on national TV, with audience applauding and cheering. Proving the "Blake becomes Batman" theory is not as clear as @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 says.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 5,767
    gt007 wrote:
    boldfinger wrote:
    Well, not exactly. Bruce's parents were brutally murdered in front of him when he was young. He has a strong motivation to fight against Gotham's evil chaos that cost him his parents.
    On the other hand, if I remember correctly, Blake's father killed himself because he couldn't handle the debts. And his mother... well, I can't remember. My point is, Bruce's motivation is stronger. They're in a similar position, but not exactly similar.
    That´s why I wrote ´more or less´ ;-) .

gt007 wrote:
    Actually, I was talking about Jimmy Kimmel. He is not involved with the film in any way, he saw it as just an audience member, and he thought Blake will become Robin. And he said so on national TV, with audience applauding and cheering. Proving the "Blake becomes Batman" theory is not as clear as @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 says.
    Honestly, during each of my three viewings of the film, I each time discovered new things about the film. I just don´t believe that everyone but me gets the full intent of the film by just viewing it once. That´s why I don´t give much about what Jimmy Kimmel says and the audience applauded after. And that´s also why I think it´s not justified to not listen to guys like @gt007. Look, we have nice lines of reasoning, even though contradicting. If only one single guy sees things differently than the rest but has a thorough basis for his argumentation, then it´s wrong to try and wave his points away as if they were completely illogical.

• gt007gt007 Station G
    boldfinger wrote:
    gt007 wrote:
    Honestly, during each of my three viewings of the film, I each time discovered new things about the film. I just don´t believe that everyone but me gets the full intent of the film by just viewing it once. That´s why I don´t give much about what Jimmy Kimmel says and the audience applauded after. And that´s also why I think it´s not justified to not listen to guys like @gt007. Look, we have nice lines of reasoning, even though contradicting. If only one single guy sees things differently than the rest but has a thorough basis for his argumentation, then it´s wrong to try and wave his points away as if they were completely illogical.
    I absolutely agree. Very well said, @boldfinger.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I just got a notification e-mail from Best Buy today, stating that 'The Dark Knight Rises' was available for pre-order. It isn't much to go on, as the film still has a few months to go before release, and no release date has been set, but it's still nice. I can't wait to finally sit down and watch all three films, on blu-ray, in a row.
    lol, looking now- Lucius really dropped the ball in 'The Dark Knight' :))

Dumbass.jpg

• I love these things.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 268
    1 billion dollars world wide baby!
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-milestone-dark-knight-rises-warner-bros-christopher-nolan-christian-bale-367476
    THR wrote:
    From Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures, the superhero tentpole has now grossed $431.2 million domestically and an estimated $574 million internationally for a total $1.005 billion through Sunday.

That's slightly ahead of The Dark Knight, which topped out at $1.0003 billion worldwide in 2008.

Also, Rises is the first non 3D movie to reach a billion bucks since TDK, and NOlan is now the second director (after Cameron) who has 2 films above a billion!
    obin_gam wrote:
    1 billion dollars world wide baby!
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-milestone-dark-knight-rises-warner-bros-christopher-nolan-christian-bale-367476
    THR wrote:
    From Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures, the superhero tentpole has now grossed $431.2 million domestically and an estimated $574 million internationally for a total $1.005 billion through Sunday.

That's slightly ahead of The Dark Knight, which topped out at $1.0003 billion worldwide in 2008.

Also, Rises is the first non 3D movie to reach a billion bucks since TDK, and NOlan is now the second director (after Cameron) who has 2 films above a billion!

Yay, :-bd but Unfortunatly won't sink Avatar
    :((
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2012 Posts: 28,694
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! I KNEW TDKR COULD DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    By the end of it's run it will be the 7th highest grossing film worldwide. Not bad, really! ;)
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    And it grossed that faster then TDK!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I . am . thrilled!

TDKR not only equals TDK's BO takes, but will even have surpassed it in the long run. Thus, Nolan's fabulous trilogy ends on a high note. Even more, every next film did better than its predecessor. WOW! I praise this trilogy for its constant quality, its strong emphasis on intelligent screenwriting and its tremendous casts.
    This is interesting:
    http://nukethefridge.com/2012/07/24/the-jokers-whereabouts-discovered-during-the-dark-knight-rises/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_27265

Maybe this will satisfy some fans that feel Joker was left out. I love how it was written, as I like to prefer he escaped. :) Come to think of it, I have never cared for/loved a movie villain as much as I love the Joker. It's odd. He kills several people, breaks Dent and makes Gordon and Batman play the deceit card to Gotham, yet I adore him.
  • Its one of the best movie of 2012. I just love it.

http://www.movielist.tv/
    The film is due out on blu-ray and Digital Download on December 3rd:
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=94907
    Epic new trailer too.
    Creasy47 wrote:

Any news if it's the roumered director's cut?
    @Virage, it was confirmed a few weeks ago that there will be no cuts of any sort. What we receive as the digital download/blu-ray/DVD will be what we saw in theaters, as Nolan doesn't do cuts of any kind like that.
  • Virage wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Any news if it's the roumered director's cut?
    When it comes to Nolan, the theatrical version IS the directors cut. Always has, always will be.

@obin_gam, exactly. A few other scenes were shot and cut, but they won't be in any director's cut of any sort, whatsoever. Nolan doesn't do them.
    Lets hope they do not funk up the dvd/bluray-release like Disney has done with the Avengers and in a response they let know that they could not care any less what the fans said.