I've lost respect for Connery

12357

Comments

  • Grow up, Sean Connery - and be a MAN. The Scotsman defined the role of James Bond and provided the template for all those who followed him. As such, all Bond aficionados should be grateful to him. But, by the same token, HE should be more than grateful to Cubby Broccoli and Harry Salzman for giving him that once-in-a-lifetime opportunity - from which all his other film roles have stemmed. Is Connery so vain, self-centred and blind to reality that he believes he would have become an international film star WITHOUT Bond? Yes, he is a great actor - without question. But how many other potentially great actors have we NEVER heard of who, denied the same global springboard, remain little more than bit actors? Connery is a fool to himself, a man who arrogantly and blindly seeks to bite the very hand that fed him - and fed him VERY well for a great many years. And what thanks does he give his legions of fans for putting where he is today? He spurns them when he has a major platform, these 50th anniversary celebrations, from which to thank them. By 'coldfingering' his global cinema-going public in so resentful and truculant a manner, he reduces his standing in the eyes of all who elevated him to his multimillionaire lifestyle status.
  • Posts: 224
    Would Sean change his mind if Rog made a personal call to him? I know, in his autobiography, Sir Rog said he brought Sean and Cubby together at his home to try to get them to mend fences. Supposedly they did. However Sir Sean didn't attend Cubby's funeral. I know that when Sir Sean received a "Lifetime Achievement" award, EON put out a full page ad congratulating him. It's odd that Connery would turn his back on what made him famous. Yes, his other roles were fine. But, he will always be remembered for Bond, than anything else.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 It was this or the priesthood.
    Posts: 28,231
    Ellis wrote:
    Would Sean change his mind if Rog made a personal call to him? I know, in his autobiography, Sir Rog said he brought Sean and Cubby together at his home to try to get them to mend fences. Supposedly they did. However Sir Sean didn't attend Cubby's funeral. I know that when Sir Sean received a "Lifetime Achievement" award, EON put out a full page ad congratulating him. It's odd that Connery would turn his back on what made him famous. Yes, his other roles were fine. But, he will always be remembered for Bond, than anything else.

    If Michael Caine can't get Sean to come, it's hopeless. I think Sean got sick of the role and didn't want to be see as just that character, which unfortunately for him, he has. When you think Bond, many go to the opening of DN, and I can't blame them. He was so good he became the quintessential actor in the role, and I guess he didn't like that over exposure.
  • Grow up, Sean Connery - and be a MAN. The Scotsman defined the role of James Bond and provided the template for all those who followed him. As such, all Bond aficionados should be grateful to him. But, by the same token, HE should be more than grateful to Cubby Broccoli and Harry Salzman for giving him that once-in-a-lifetime opportunity - from which all his other film roles have stemmed. Is Connery so vain, self-centred and blind to reality that he believes he would have become an international film star WITHOUT Bond? Yes, he is a great actor - without question. But how many other potentially great actors have we NEVER heard of who, denied the same global springboard, remain little more than bit actors? Connery is a fool to himself, a man who arrogantly and blindly seeks to bite the very hand that fed him - and fed him VERY well for a great many years. And what thanks does he give his legions of fans for putting where he is today? He spurns them when he has a major platform, these 50th anniversary celebrations, from which to thank them. By 'coldfingering' his global cinema-going public in so resentful and truculant a manner, he reduces his standing in the eyes of all who elevated him to his multimillionaire lifestyle status.
    Sean Connery owes Bond and Broccolis for his successful career.
    The Broccolis owe him too for the Bond's success.
    So they are even.

    As to the audience, they go to see the movies because they were well made and well acted. Nothing forced them to do that. So....

  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    Posts: 850
    It would be really sad. A DBS V6, Lotus Esprit, V8 Vantage, Z8, DBS V12 in 1 line, with a vacant spot "Aston Martin DB5 parking only"...
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 810
    And what thanks does he give his legions of fans for putting where he is today? He spurns them when he has a major platform, these 50th anniversary celebrations, from which to thank them. By 'coldfingering' his global cinema-going public in so resentful and truculant a manner, he reduces his standing in the eyes of all who elevated him to his multimillionaire lifestyle status.

    I disagree. I suspect that the majority of fans will understand and respect Sean's decision. Connery did a job of work, he helped to make excellent Bond movies. Members of the public were willing and happy to pay to see his work. Therefore he earned a lot of money. Those people were rewarded by being able to watch the best James Bond actor in some of the very best Bond films.

    End of story.





  • Ellis wrote:
    Would Sean change his mind if Rog made a personal call to him? I know, in his autobiography, Sir Rog said he brought Sean and Cubby together at his home to try to get them to mend fences. Supposedly they did. However Sir Sean didn't attend Cubby's funeral. I know that when Sir Sean received a "Lifetime Achievement" award, EON put out a full page ad congratulating him. It's odd that Connery would turn his back on what made him famous. Yes, his other roles were fine. But, he will always be remembered for Bond, than anything else.

    @Ellis, I don't believe you are correct in that Connery and Cubby Broccoli made peace. If you read Moore's autobiography, Sir Rog clearly states that even though he tried to make this happen, it went nowhere because of the fact that Connery insulted Cubby to his face, in Moore's presence at that.
  • Posts: 224
    Ellis wrote:
    Would Sean change his mind if Rog made a personal call to him? I know, in his autobiography, Sir Rog said he brought Sean and Cubby together at his home to try to get them to mend fences. Supposedly they did. However Sir Sean didn't attend Cubby's funeral. I know that when Sir Sean received a "Lifetime Achievement" award, EON put out a full page ad congratulating him. It's odd that Connery would turn his back on what made him famous. Yes, his other roles were fine. But, he will always be remembered for Bond, than anything else.

    @Ellis, I don't believe you are correct in that Connery and Cubby Broccoli made peace. If you read Moore's autobiography, Sir Rog clearly states that even though he tried to make this happen, it went nowhere because of the fact that Connery insulted Cubby to his face, in Moore's presence at that.

    You very well could be right. I read the book. But my memory on the details is vague. I do recall Rog saying he was disappointed that Sean didn't attend the funeral.

  • Posts: 1,548
    Despite my earlier rants Connery still = great Bond but IMO is not the best actor to have played Bond. That honour IMO is tied between Dalton and Craig. PS has anyone ever seen a film where Connery doesn't speak with a Scottish accent cos I haven't. Even the Irish cop he played in The Untouchables (excellent performance btw) he had the jock accent.
  • Posts: 1,497
    We will never know the extent of the alleged 'feud' between Sean and EON, so we can only speculate.

    I have to agree with those saying it's Connery's prerogative whether he wants to show or not. Put yourself in Sean's shoes: you take a role in 1962 without any context of the international phenomenon. There's no internet, no movie fandom the way there is now, no 50th tributes or any of that. Connery was simply a working man who took a good opportunity. When the work became too much he left. If you worked for a company 40 years ago and then moved on to bigger and better things, but then there's a dinner reunion for said company for which you'd have to fly across the ocean to get to, all the while being in your retirement years, would you really give a crap?

    Besides, Sean Connery has done plenty for the fans. He did the interviews for the Special Edition DVD's and he more recently did interviews around the time of QOS. He's played roles in Indiana Jones and the Rock, which were obvious nods to Bond. He even did the voicework for the FRWL video game. Sure the 50th celebrations means a lot us fans, but to Sean Connery, the man, the actor, it's probably not that important. The internet has made people very sentimental and nostalgic. Sean comes from a different generation. At the end of the day, it's just another anniversary, but does it really mean anything? It's just a time-marker. Let the films and the novels that inspired them, be the true testament of the greatness of the series.
  • According to the autobiography, the 'peace' went down like this:

    Roger did indeed invite them both over, and Cubby said (mostly) in jest: 'So Sean -- I heard you said you hated me so much that you wouldn't piss in my ear if my brain was on fire'
    To which Sean replied: 'Cubby, I'd be happy to piss in your ear any time.'

    Lol I can just picture Roger immediately cutting in: 'SO who's hungry!!' :D
  • Posts: 1,497
    According to the autobiography, the 'peace' went down like this:

    Roger did indeed invite them both over, and Cubby said (mostly) in jest: 'So Sean -- I heard you said you hated me so much that you wouldn't piss in my ear if my brain was on fire'
    To which Sean replied: 'Cubby, I'd be happy to piss in your ear any time.'

    Lol I can just picture Roger immediately cutting in: 'SO who's hungry!!' :D

    I don't know, Connery's comment seems to be in jest too. It's a pretty witty retort from Sean.
  • On paper it does sort of sound like 'employees who didn't really got along ' just playfully busting each others chops, but none of us were there-- it may have been Sean's way of saying 'drop it and let's get this evening over with'

  • LeChiffre wrote:
    Despite my earlier rants Connery still = great Bond but IMO is not the best actor to have played Bond. That honour IMO is tied between Dalton and Craig. PS has anyone ever seen a film where Connery doesn't speak with a Scottish accent cos I haven't. Even the Irish cop he played in The Untouchables (excellent performance btw) he had the jock accent.

    It's part of the Sean Connery method of acting.

    English secret agent- He used a Scottish accent, and ended up changing the whole character in the books because of it.

    Russian sub captain- Scottish accent.

    Irish cop- Scottish accent.

    And so on.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 It was this or the priesthood.
    Posts: 28,231
    According to the autobiography, the 'peace' went down like this:

    Roger did indeed invite them both over, and Cubby said (mostly) in jest: 'So Sean -- I heard you said you hated me so much that you wouldn't piss in my ear if my brain was on fire'
    To which Sean replied: 'Cubby, I'd be happy to piss in your ear any time.'

    Lol I can just picture Roger immediately cutting in: 'SO who's hungry!!' :D

    Poor Rog. At least he was a gentlemen and was brave in his attempt to get them to reconcile.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited September 2012 Posts: 9,117
    Just saw the Piers Morgan Rog thing on ITV and he came across as a true gent - happy with his career and grateful to the role Bond played in giving him such a nice life and not bitterly moaning about the odd penny that he thinks EON swindled him out of.

    I got the impression he didnt really want to be there but was doing his duty as part of the pre SF build up as he gave both SF and DC a big plug.

    Self deprecating to the point where Morgan had to appeal to the audience to get Rog to believe he was talented he is the very definition of the term national treasure.

    Take note Sean - you may leave more in the bank but there will be many more tearful mourners at Rogs funeral.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,090
    ...which won't be for a long time. That being said, I'm convinced Moore will outlive Connery despite being a few years older.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 1,310
    Whether he shows up or not...

    Sean Connery is still the BEST JAMES BOND!!!!!

    Maybe he's not the nicest individual or the most gracious or whatever else, but Connery's portrayal of the film version of James Bond remains to be beaten in my eyes. His appearance or non-appearance at this 50th anniversary event will...in no way...change my views on the most classic and iconic take 007 has ever seen. Of course I will be disappointed if he doesn't show, but I respect his decision to not show up (if that is in fact his final decision).
  • Posts: 224
    Just saw the Piers Morgan Rog thing on ITV and he came across as a true gent - happy with his career and grateful to the role Bond played in giving him such a nice life and not bitterly moaning about the odd penny that he thinks EON swindled him out of.

    I got the impression he didnt really want to be there but was doing his duty as part of the pre SF build up as he gave both SF and DC a big plug.

    Self deprecating to the point where Morgan had to appeal to the audience to get Rog to believe he was talented he is the very definition of the term national treasure.

    Take note Sean - you may leave more in the bank but there will be many more tearful mourners at Rogs funeral.

    When Roger was Bond, he was one of the biggest movie stars in the world. Prior to that, he was an internationally-known TV star in the long-running "The Saint" series, which probably contributed greatly to his getting the Bond role. Rog was on top for 2 decades. You don't stay at the top for so long, unless you have talent.
  • Ellis wrote:
    When Roger was Bond, he was one of the biggest movie stars in the world. Prior to that, he was an internationally-known TV star in the long-running "The Saint" series, which probably contributed greatly to his getting the Bond role. Rog was on top for 2 decades. You don't stay at the top for so long, unless you have talent.

    Regarding Rog: Lovely man, excellent Saint, poor Bond.

  • That's not necessarily true. When Bond quit the role in 1986, I wouldn't say he had reached legendary status or biggest movie stars in the world level. Of course most will be familiar with his work as Simon Templar before, and including Bond, but apart from appearing in a handful of movies, some outside of the UK nobody would be familiar with, outside of Bond during his time and possibly before, simply can't go along with the adulation on such a high level. People would of been aware of Moore at the specific time, but not on the level as indicated

    This is not a Moore thread, but I did read the above reply @Ellis
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Posts: 9,117
    Ellis wrote:
    When Roger was Bond, he was one of the biggest movie stars in the world. Prior to that, he was an internationally-known TV star in the long-running "The Saint" series, which probably contributed greatly to his getting the Bond role. Rog was on top for 2 decades. You don't stay at the top for so long, unless you have talent.

    An interesting point made here which Sean ought to take note of.

    Apart from Lazenby, Sean was the biggest nobody to take on the role. All the rest had decent careers apart from him.

    Rog - The Saint, The Persuaders - the bloke was a household name on both sides of the Atlantic and would have made a very nice living even without Bond. Rog didnt really need Bond.

    Tim - A very solid career in the theatre which he could always fall back on and had done bits and bobs in films and on telly. Not a star but then for Tim the craft of acting has always been far more important than fame and money. He could have got by quite happily without Bond.

    Pierce - One hit TV show that probably made his fortune and some small films. He wasnt a star but he was doing OK. He needed Bond to hit the big time but wouldve done OK as a TV actor and on the straight to video circuit.

    Dan - Had a respected body of work behind him and wasnt going to have trouble picking up work. Couldve got by without Bond so easily that he seriously considered turning it down.

    And Sean? Darby O'Gill and the Little People, On the Fiddle and one line in The Longest Day?

    Difficult to say if he wouldve made it big or not- quite possibly he would have done as he has that intaginble star quality - but without Bond he wouldnt be the household name he is today and he wouldnt have made Indy 3 or The Rock and probably not the Hunt For Red October and the Untouchables all of which traded on the fact that he was Sean Connery and the first two traded on the Bond connection in a big way.

    And the fact certainly cant be denied that he needed Bond and it made his fortune and at the time he probably couldnt believe his luck so he ought to show a sliver of gratitude to Cubby and Harry for taking a masve punt on him.
  • Posts: 224
    Let me put it this way: You don't make a TV series a long-running "hit", unless you have talent. You don't stay as the lead for a movie franchise for 12 years, unless you have talent. I think that the fact that Bond movies were made every 2 years when Rog was Bond, put "Bond" movies in the spotlight more so than they are today. That benefitted the perception of Rog among the movie-going public.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 1,324
    Tracy wrote:
    Connery/Moore won't be alive for the 60th , time passes at rapid speed......this is it really , if it doesn't happen now it'll never happen.

    They both have plenty of life left. I would never speak of such a thing in regards to either men, or the rest of the legends I hold dear, no matter how pissed they make me at times.

    Well were all gonna die some day and with Bond people/crew passing away left and right (Barry , Hamlisch , Leech etc)......not being mad , just an observation.

    IMO , Connery doesnt owe us diddly squat besides entertaining us for yrs and yrs....yes , it would be a nice gesture if he DID appear but if he doesnt feel like it and/or health reasons (I myself can hold a grudge for yrs and yrs if people make me angry , we forget that our heroes , be it Connery or whoever , also have flaws)

  • edited September 2012 Posts: 83
    Ever since Connery snubbed Cubby's funeral & memorial i lost all respect for him. The man couldn't even be bothered to recored a video message or write a letter. I remember being at Cubby's memorial and shocked when Prince Charles even found time to send a personal letter of condolence but sod all from Connery.


    I REALLY hope that Lazenby attends the premiere . Seeing as he kicked off the whole idea of a more human/gritty bond all those years ago it would be cool for him to see it finally manifested.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 810
    RyanKint wrote:

    I REALLY hope that Lazenby attends the premiere . Seeing as he kicked off the whole idea of a more human/gritty bond all those years ago it would be cool for him to see it finally manifested.

    Lazenby had the benefit of the whole crew pulling the stops out to compensate:

    a. for the lack of Connery:
    b. for his own wooden performance;

    ...and still the film was a disappointment financially. Despite this Lazenby was offered a contract but good old George walked because he "thought Bond was over".

    Not very bright and one of the worst Bond actors, second only to Moore.

  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited September 2012 Posts: 11,552
    Not to go too far off topic, but Moore was a much better actor than Lazenby. I enjoy them both, however.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 It was this or the priesthood.
    Posts: 28,231
    QBranch wrote:
    Not to go too far off topic, but Moore was a much better actor than Lazenby. I enjoy them both, however.
    Agreed. And Roger has that endearing personality, natural comedic timing, and is very self-deprecating which shows his amazing modesty for his achievements. In contrast, it doesn't matter how much people dislike Lazenby. He loves himself enough for the rest of us.
    8-|
  • Posts: 255
    As much as I love the guy on screen, I don't respect him much in real life because of his politics (a guy with a knighthood, who lives in the Bahamas and doesn't pay UK taxes shouldn't really have the right to tell people to vote for Scottish independance).

    Anyway, I do think he should go to the SF premiere but if he's not healthy enough we can't really have a go at him for it. But then again, he seemed pretty healthy at the tennis.
    .


    Don't quite follow your argument....there are plenty of people with Honours who live abroad, don't pay UK taxes and express political opinions.....

  • Posts: 1,324
    I agree that he shouldve sent condolances to Cubby........
Sign In or Register to comment.