I've lost respect for Connery

Comments

• edited September 2012 Posts: 306
    I can't believe some of these responses. As Peter said above, the Bond series is in debt to Connery, not the other way around. It may not have taken off the way it did without what Connery, a born movie star, brought to the party. He WAS Bond in the 1960s, just as the posters said. He was a rock star. He was one of the creators of this whole phenomenon, the gold standard for the role, and the inspiration for every actor since.

Anyone trying to minimize that is either a total fool or just not a Bond fan. Period.

He owes us nothing, and certainly owes the Broccoli children less. I've read him talk about the "incredible greed" of the Broccoli family, but he's not the only one that has said that over the years...and since he knows a lot more than any of us do, I'm prone to believe him. He doesn't want to show up at some event to advertise their new movie for them, and why should he?

But in every interview, he definitely respects and appreciates his legacy as Bond. Who can forget him jet packing onto the David Letterman show just cuz Dave and his staff asked him to? And I have a friend who met him at a golf tournament and said he was great fun. He doesn't suffer fools, that's all. Now I'll self-censor and leave it at that...
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Lets just hope that there will be some sort of video message at the very least. I don't think that's expecting too much. He can acknowledge the milestone the series which made his career has reached in the comfort of his own home away from all the hussle and bussle of the premier.

If he does that to be honest I'll be content.

There's an article in this week's Radio Times by Barry Norman where he recalls interviewing Connery before the release of Dr No (Norman's father Leslie had apparently been on the shortlist to direct the film). He recalled that Connery seemed to just view it as exactly what @Saunders described - another job.
    VeryBond wrote:
    Anyone trying to minimize that is either a total fool or just not a Bond fan. Period.

I am sure, all of the above posters will be happy to hear this.

• Hey, if the clown shoe fits.
    I agree SC owes EON nothing, us fans might enjoy his presence but he should not feel obliged to do so.
    If he as a Scotsman goes and sees his countryman in the finales at a tennismatch it does not mean he is making a public apparence, he just is so famous that everywhere he goes he will be noticed.

I would enjoy his presence at a festive meeting, but will not thing anything less of him if he wouldn't.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    VeryBond wrote:
    Hey, if the clown shoe fits.

You're the one with your face in the pie.
  • VeryBond wrote:

???? How so? LOL.

If you disagree with what I said, point out where I'm wrong.

Or is that just a kneejerk defense?

• edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837
    @VeryBond Please, please, please don't say LOL.

I think EON does owe lots to Connery but I also think that Connery owes EON. The films themselves helped his success as Bond. And don't forget lots of Connerys success could be put down to Terrance Young, because he helped Connery become Bond in a way
    Never meet ur heroes they say.

Nah. I met Timothy Dalton once and he was a pretty cool guy :)

Oh yeah I bet he talked about you behind your back and will be less than favourable to you in his autobiography.

Hahaha. I only met him for a minute or two at the Hot Fuzz premiere. Signed my Shaun Of The Dead DVD, pretty proud of that.
  • TLR - please, please, please don't say "hahaha".
    @VeryBond Please, please, please don't say LOL.

I think EON does owe lots to Connery but I also think that Connery owes EON. The films themselves helped his success as Bond. And don't forget lots of Connerys success could be put down to Terrance Young, because he helped Connery become Bond in a way
    Never meet ur heroes they say.

Nah. I met Timothy Dalton once and he was a pretty cool guy :)

Oh yeah I bet he talked about you behind your back and will be less than favourable to you in his autobiography.

Hahaha. I only met him for a minute or two at the Hot Fuzz premiere. Signed my Shaun Of The Dead DVD, pretty proud of that.

There is always that risk when you meet a hero of yours? However i will happily take that chance all day long.

It did happen to me the once though. Was fortunate to meet Stephen Berkoff who played the OTT General Orloff who i loved. Sadly Mr Berkoff was very offish and was only interested in my money.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837
    VeryBond wrote:
    TLR - please, please, please don't say "hahaha".

Lol is worse. It's just annoying.

Any thoughts on the rest of my other post? Do you think lots of it was down to Terrance Young and other people or do you think it was all Connery?
    RogueAgent wrote:
    It did happen to me the once though. Was fortunate to meet Stephen Berkoff who played the OTT General Orloff who i loved. Sadly Mr Berkoff was very offish and was only interested in my money.

That's a shame. I think Berkoff is a great actor and one of the best Bond villians.
  • Of course Terence Young played a very significant part in the success of the early films
    We'll never know for sure but I suspect had Roger Moore been Bond 1.0 then the series might very well have sunk without trace. Connery was Bond and continues to be an influence on the series. It wasn't all Connery but it is an error to minimize Connery's impact in the role.
    Let's make a deal, TLR: I won't tell you how to write your posts... With all the silly little emoticons used around here, I don't think the occasional LOL is gonna' hurt anyone.

Terence Young, Broccoli/Salzman, Richard Maibaum, Guy Hamilton, all have a piece of those film's incredible success, but Connery was THE MAN. He delivered the goods. And he did it in a "new" way that made him a very innovative ladies man/action hero. I'm not sure you would have gotten the same results with just any "face" in there. (Barry Nelson, et all)

It was Connery's, uhm, Conneryness that made that role sing and captured the audience's imagination.

And yeah, they should have ponied up and given him some of the profits.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 27
    I talked with Berkoff online after he was badly treated by US Homeland Security. Very cordial conversation. Perhaps you caught him in character for his heretic priest in "The Borgias".
    RogueAgent wrote:

• VeryBond wrote:
    Let's make a deal, TLR: I won't tell you how to write your posts... With all the silly little emoticons used around here, I don't think the occasional LOL is gonna' hurt anyone.

Alright then deal. Sorry about that, LOL just pisses me off.
    VeryBond wrote:
    Terence Young, Broccoli/Salzman, Richard Maibaum, Guy Hamilton, all have a piece of those film's incredible success, but Connery was THE MAN. He delivered the goods. And he did it in a "new" way that made him a very innovative ladies man/action hero. I'm not sure you would have gotten the same results with just any "face" in there. (Barry Nelson, et all)

It was Connery's, uhm, Conneryness that made that role sing and captured the audience's imagination.

And yeah, theyshould have ponied up and given him some of the profits.

I do agree with you, without Connery who knows where we'd be now. But, lets say they put Brosnan in Connerys films, with Terrance Young guiding him, etc. Now imagine Connery was born when Brosnan was and put him in Brosnans films. Which one do you think would be thought of overall as the best Bond?

I do think Connery has the right to be angry with EON, but I think him turning up at the premier if he's healthy enough would be a nice gift for the fans. Not for EON, for the fans.
    Well, you asked the only guy on here who wouldn't use that question as an excuse to trash Brosnan. I'm a huge fan of Brosnans and could defend his portrayal for hours, but no, Connery was unique then and was unique all the way into his 70s...when he was still getting lead roles and being chosen The Sexiest Man Alive. No, he's one of those movie stars that come along once in a blue moon I think. Cue up Red October and Untouchables...he had some magic.

Hey, I would like to see all the Bonds together myself - it would be historic and very very cool.

If anyone has a legitimate reason not to come, it's Brosnan.
    [
    I do think Connery has the right to be angry with EON, but I think him turning up at the premier if he's healthy enough would be a nice gift for the fans. Not for EON, for the fans.

I don't think it is in Connerys mentality to think of fans. In fact, when he was mobbed by them in the sixties I suspect he avoids them and retreats behind his maximum security twilight home in The Bahamas. Connery's mental processes are divided between golf, Scotland and his bank account.

I also suspect the films would have been a success whoever they cast in the sixties as the books had a big worldwide fanbase. And that is half the battle - just as Lord of the Rings and Fifty Shades of Grey.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    VeryBond wrote:
    VeryBond wrote:

???? How so? LOL.

You believe anyone who thinks Sean should make an effort to appear at the 50th celebration is "either a total fool or just not a Bond fan. Period." You are having a high and mighty lapse in judgement where you find a superiority in your own opinions and insult everyone else because you embroiled in their own high and mighty sensibility. I am such a huge Bond fan I am deeply hurt that Sean won't attend the celebrations, and it is Bond fans that care the most out of any group. He has shrugged off every EON related meet up because he is still holding a stern grudge for anything that has Broccoli's name on it. I understand that we are on the outside looking it, but it is more a testament to what a child he is being that he can't put his past behind him, considering Broccoli is long gone, and further testament can be drawn from the fact that he still doesn't appreciate everything that Cubby did for him. It's about being the bigger man, and right now Sean is the shortest of the lot.
  • That's not what I said. Go back and re-read my post. I said whoever tries to minimize Connery's impact in the 60s was a fool. And I stand by that.
  • If Connery doesn't make an appearance with the other Bonds, well, that's what photoshop is for.
    Don't forget Connery did give an interview about Bond at the time QoS was released. The documentary is on Youtube, so he's obviously not ignored Bond completely.
  • VeryBond wrote:

That's true. To be honest if I was Brosnan I don't think I'd show up.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 11,189
    VeryBond wrote:

That's true. To be honest if I was Brosnan I don't think I'd show up.

I wouldn't be all that suprised if I see a man the spitting image of Brosnan amongst the crowd at the premier with a hat, coat and (fake) moustache ;)
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 1
    Lets be perfectly honest here, Sean Connery DECIDED not to do Bond again after YOLT. Then when he was asked back in 1971 (having allegedly refused to negotiate a deal for OHMSS) he was the highest paid movie star in the world - paid by EON !. He decided to give it away to the people that want to cast Scotland adrift from the UK (having long decided himself to leave Scotland and live in the Bahamas where tax rates are very low I hear :-) - nice double standards there).

His acting ability is pretty limited, but of course he has great on screen presence, but he is not and never has been a great actor. That doesn't take anything away from him as Bond - which he did make his own. But it was not just him ! The sets of Ken Adam, the Terrence Young influence, the style and genius of the producers ALL played their part. That is the bit that HE cannot accept. He think he was it - the most important person - and must be paid a lot more. He might be right, but he was paid handsomely (for the time) and could and indeed DID get a lot from EON for DAF - a pretty crap film.

He is of course Scottish and also appears to have a chip on his shoulder the size of a small house. He came from humble beginnings and rose to stardom and great things, but contrast that with Moore, who also came from a very humble background, but struggled his way through rep, and TV, Hollywood and became an international TV and film star. And today, is as charming and debonair a man as you could come across. He has used his status to raise tens of millions of dollars for the children supported by Unicef and can recite poetry from Kipling at the age of 84 and still draw like a cartoonist (a former occupation). He even tried to get Connery and Brocolli to make up back in the 80's and Connery managed to offend Cubby and Roger at the time. I rest my case. Great Bond, and a couple of good other films (notably Marnie) but he is not really fit to stand next to Roger as a man and for that I will miss him as Bond, but will not be disappointed that he as a man is not there. It says more about him than anyone else. This is of course just opinion.
  • VeryBond wrote:
    VeryBond wrote:

???? How so? LOL.

You believe anyone who thinks Sean should make an effort to appear at the 50th celebration is "either a total fool or just not a Bond fan. Period." You are having a high and mighty lapse in judgement where you find a superiority in your own opinions and insult everyone else because you embroiled in their own high and mighty sensibility. I am such a huge Bond fan I am deeply hurt that Sean won't attend the celebrations, and it is Bond fans that care the most out of any group. He has shrugged off every EON related meet up because he is still holding a stern grudge for anything that has Broccoli's name on it. I understand that we are on the outside looking it, but it is more a testament to what a child he is being that he can't put his past behind him, considering Broccoli is long gone, and further testament can be drawn from the fact that he still doesn't appreciate everything that Cubby did for him. It's about being the bigger man, and right now Sean is the shortest of the lot.

Hahahaha lol lol lol =)) :-))
    :( It's sad that he won't be there :(
  • I worked on Outland and met Sean Connery, he was funny and very down to earth and is still one of the nicest actors I have ever met,
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Would SC be the legend he is today without 007?
    I think not.
    He should go to this event, drop the bitter old man routine for one night.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    'Connery claims he got less than one-fiftieth of the fortune they made off his six iconic films,'

What planet is he on? Harry Potter grossed 7.7 billion. A 50th of that equals 154m. Did Daniel Radcliffe get that? I dont think so and Sean is just an old Daniel Radcliffe.
    In 50 years it will be a bit out of order for him to start bleating he wasnt paid enough and hes not going to attend the anniversary.

Sean was a nobody so for DN I would expect him to be paying them for the chance quite frankly. After GF went stratospheric he would be entitled to a nice hike for TB and YOLT and of course for DAF he got the highest salary ever at the time.

But as has been proven people will watch Bond whoever is starring. If it hadnt been Sean it wouldve been Rog or Patrick Mcgoohan or whoever and theres no reason to think the series wouldnt have been succesful.

More pertinent is what did Fleming and his estate get for it all? Probably less than Sean over the years. Actually does anyone know do EON still have to pay Glidrose or IFF or whatever its called to make new Bond films or does owning the film rights mean they dont?

Mind you it would be nice if Babs and MGW were magnanimous and called him up and offered to pay say 250k or whatever to a charity of his choice. Call it an appearance fee or redressing the balance for whatever perceived injustice he thinks he suffered.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    So sad because of this. :/