Producer says Daniel Craig's tenure may end when it peaks

Comments

Risico wrote:
    NicNac wrote:
    Exactly what did MW say? The only quote is
    He could've said 'Sometimes it's better for an actor to go out on a high' which would be a whole different thing to ' We like to replace the actor when they peak'.

Good point, and that's one thing that puzzles me about the comment. Whilst it's easy to judge a 'high' to go out on, it's not so easy to judge a 'peak' until you've passed it and started to go down hill...

That's exactly what I was thinking. Personally, I think Daniel has two more films in him.

bondsum wrote:
    I do think the MGW comments are ill-timed but then he's never been my favourite spokesman for the franchise.
    MGW is often quoted when speaking at kind of management convents or the like, not from events directly related to certain films or franchises. So then he speaks frankly as a producer and talks business, because the event demands it. Sentences lifted from such occasions could easily be misunderstood when quoted out of context.

boldfinger wrote:
    bondsum wrote:
    I do think the MGW comments are ill-timed but then he's never been my favourite spokesman for the franchise.
    MGW is often quoted when speaking at kind of management convents or the like, not from events directly related to certain films or franchises. So then he speaks frankly as a producer and talks business, because the event demands it. Sentences lifted from such occasions could easily be misunderstood when quoted out of context.

I agree with this. What MGW says makes sense from a business point of view, I don't think we should take it as a hint at any creative differences or whatever. From my limited understanding, it's always been Barbara who took charge of the creative side, like someone said about, when Barbara says something like this then I'd listen, but given MGW's context in saying it and role as the 'business producer', I don't think what he said should be taken as a barometer of Craig's Bond fortunes.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Craig will do 2 more at least after SF and that's perfectly fine.
    doubleoego wrote:
    What makes you so sure?
    I think one more at the very most after SF.
    Show biz is quick to change, and very fickle. Craig isn`t aging as well as others, and I dare say they will go for a more classic looking Bond next time around.
    Anyway, lets get the most out of him while we can eh?

;;)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I think Wilson knows there's so many different factors in play here, he just has to keep everyone on edge for a little while. He was always the creative half of the team, Babs is the one looking after the numbers.

Craig is starting to look old, as many would with the regime he has himself under to keep fit in the role. He didn't look that old in TGWTDT, because he eased up on the muscle. This constant bulking up, toning down does have an affect on how your face is defined.

But, I don't want a repeat of what happened with Brosnan, who was extremely enthusiastic about making a fifth film, which I'm sure he knew would have been his final outing. Craig has given us one great, one solid, and another potentially great film. He deserves to finish off his Quantum storyline, at least. And I think Craig is smart enough to know when to stop, he won't be like Roger.
    Sounds good to me. Daniel Craig is a charachter actor in my book. Not Bond. He looks cool but I like the more sofisticated and humorous Bond. Sean had a nice approach to the role, and I liked Lazenby. Moore was my favourite because we shared the view that Bond should be entertainment as well - not just action. Dalton did a perfect first outing, as well as Brosnan. But Brosnans Bond wasn't as good as Daltons.

Well, that's my opinion anyway.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 774
    Craig is starting to look old, as many would with the regime he has himself under to keep fit in the role. He didn't look that old in TGWTDT, because he eased up on the muscle. This constant bulking up, toning down does have an affect on how your face is defined.

Completely (but respectfully) disagree, speaking from personal experience; putting on muscle, losing fat, regular, high intensity exercise can only make you look younger. Sure, if you aren't sleeping enough you can look haggard, but Craig looks really good for his age, could easily pass for 5 years younger than he actually is.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    NicNac wrote:
    "Pierce [Brosnan] was well-liked and the grosses were going up. But we knew we had to change things before they started to taper off. Bond is the star. He is bigger than any actor that portrays him."

What exactly was the question, and what exactly did he say about Craig bowing out when he peaks?

Thank you for being the first person to think exactly was I did as I first read this 'news'.

Where is Craig mentioned in this news piece? It seems more likely, that Wilson was quizzed on why Brosnan was let go.

This headline is very misleading and has caused nearly everyone else to run around like headless chickens. Did they even read it?

The last we heard on Craig, it was all good news, so I'll continue to think that is the case, until we actually do hear otherwise.
    We can't say anything at all without knowing exactly what Mr. Wilson said. But one thing is for sure: It is all about money in that business. It's about Fleming or Bond or Craig or Brosnan for the fans but it's about money for the industry. That´s why they changed direction and actor after DAD.

And leaving at the peak is allways a good advice btw.
    Yessup wrote:
    Sounds good to me. Daniel Craig is a charachter actor in my book. Not Bond. He looks cool but I like the more sofisticated and humorous Bond. Sean had a nice approach to the role, and I liked Lazenby. Moore was my favourite because we shared the view that Bond should be entertainment as well - not just action. Dalton did a perfect first outing, as well as Brosnan. But Brosnans Bond wasn't as good as Daltons.

Well, that's my opinion anyway.

That´s exactly my point too. But I would add that Bronsnans later films suffered from week scripts or stories. I don't blame the actor.

Samuel001 wrote:
    NicNac wrote:
    "Pierce [Brosnan] was well-liked and the grosses were going up. But we knew we had to change things before they started to taper off. Bond is the star. He is bigger than any actor that portrays him."

What exactly was the question, and what exactly did he say about Craig bowing out when he peaks?

Thank you for being the first person to think exactly was I did as I first read this 'news'.

Where is Craig mentioned in this news piece? It seems more likely, that Wilson was quizzed on why Brosnan was let go.

This headline is very misleading and has caused nearly everyone else to run around like headless chickens. Did they even read it?

The last we heard on Craig, it was all good news, so I'll continue to think that is the

case, until we actually do hear otherwise.

Wilson said he had no qualms about replacing Craig if Skyfall turns out to be his peak.
    There you go.....

edited August 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Where is that said? It's not.
    Read it again. The article tells us Wilson said he had no qualms replacing him if Skyfall proves to be his peak. Granted, there are no quotation marks, but this is how it reads.
    I took that was there due to the comment Wilson made about Brosnan. eg. it is being assumed this is also the case for Craig, when it's just the article writer's opinion.

We have no context to go on.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Exactly. It says Wilson said it, but only offers a quote about Brosnan. If this is specifically about the more newsworthy Craig (as he is the current Bond), then surely they would have printed the quote that was about him.
    Not only that, it would be a complete 180 degree turn on Wilson's last comments. No one would go that far in reversing what they said, I'm sure.
    It could mean that the negotiations for DC's 4th 007 have begun!!

Would SF a comercial disaster the price would come down, but nobody is expecting the movie to fail.
    NicNac wrote:

He could've said 'Sometimes it's better for an actor to go out on a high' which would be a whole different thing to ' We like to replace the actor when they peak'.

They haven't hit an artistic brick wall with Craig yet, which they admit they had with Brosnan.

I agree, this is all being blown up into a "significant story" but MGW seems to be simply
    explaining to his select audience that Bond is such an iconic character that even if Skyfall is Craig's peak, it doesn't mean they cannot or will not re-cast the role if they think the time is right. He appears to be backing up their decision to re-cast Brosnan and explaining that it wasn't anything other than wanting to move forward with a new angle on the character at the right time. And I think they were right.

I suspect Craig is a lock for Bond 24, but that may indeed be his final film after all.

• SaintMark wrote:
    It could mean that the negotiations for DC's 4th 007 have begun!!

It could be it: IF Wilson really made a comment about ending things with Craig at his peak, it might be a way to tell the actor 'I have no problem with letting you go' to get the price down.

It could be!

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Anyway, how do you know when an actor has 'peaked'. Surely you only know that when things go into decline and then you can say, 'ah, he peaked on So&So, this latest effort is a DAF!' I'm sure DC will do one, maybe two more, he'll have probably had enough then anyway.
    If they like to let go of actors after they peak, why didn't they fire Connery after FRWL, Moore after TSWLM, and Brosnan after GE.

I'm not going to make anything of this. MGW probably just lost his dog.
  • Shoreline wrote:
    He didn't have influence, he was writing the scenes as they were going along for QofS.That's the producer's fault not his.

I think they know SKYFALL is going to be huge and DC's star and salary demands are going to be on the rise. It's just EON talking a bit of sense and a lot of tutty to keep their star's demands in line.

This is a good point, you could be right there.
    Whatever happens next, Skyfall is looking good.

FMUN is right about Craig. I don't know why people don't understand that Craig assisted with the script because he HAD to, let alone blast him for the result like it was his fault. It's not part of his job description, never was nor will it ever be. He pitched in to try and complete a half finished script or the movie wasn't going to get made, and there was no option to postpone with contracts for everyone involved signed and locations reserved. You can rightfully blame the producers for hiring Bourne people to film, for hiring Marc Forster if you didn't like his direction, but what no one should be blamed for is for the damage the writer's strike inflicted, which was far and away the greatest problem with QOS. They did the best anyone could under the circumstances and I doubt any of the critics here on this board could have done any better.

As far as the comments, no one knows when Craig's "peak" will happen. It sounds like idle speculation from MGW. He doesn't have an answer for when and neither does Craig. The only thing said by Craig is that he'll keep doing them as long as he physically can and has the desire to, and EON are not fools despite the occasional moronic comment to the contrary. He only seems to be stating the obvious, something EON has learned over the years, that no one actor is bigger than the role itself, or they never would have survived Connery's leaving in 1967. Is it a message to Craig and his agent regarding money? Maybe. But as long as his movies are making half a billion a shot, that will take care of itself, EON won't have any problem paying him as they know the results will be worth it.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited August 2012 Posts: 11,139
    Shoreline wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    What makes you so sure?

image.axd?picture=2011%2F3%2Frdavi.jpg

I know things
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 6,601
    I am almost sure, the article, even though a serious paper, has been given this a meaning, that Wilson didn't say. He knows pretty well, how things can get out of hand and I don't think, negative headlines about DC are doing the film or EON or the Broccolis any good. He is no fool. Yes, money is what its all about in the end and IF they are thinking about a replacement, they wouldn't openly say so NOW. No way...if you look carefully, you will see, that there is just one quote and that is about Brosnan, the rest is what the writer made of it. So -. we don't know, WHAT he has said and if he really has even mentioned Daniel or being as clear about the current Bond as it is written. I doubt it, doesn't make sense. They are not killing their milk cow BEFORE it can give them lots of milk and I doubt, it makes the promo easier or better during the anger DC's fans will put up.

Like I said, its surely not about money. DC isn't a greedy little prick, who asks more then they are ready to pay, so there is no need to push him into shape over money.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 267
    I never pay that much attention to these sort of "quotes"- unless I hear it in context and straight form Mr.Wilson's mouth then I will take it with a pinch of salt. Regardless of whether Skyfall will be as epic as it looks in the trailer (and I think we all know that it will be), the movie will still be one of the biggest hits of the year and will make a huge turnover at the box office. My feeling is that Daniel will do one more and move on.....and rightly so in my opinion. These days, with a franchise like Bond, they have to change the lead actor after their 4th movie or else it gets stale- its not like the 70's when people didn't give a f**k. Audiences are different now and as much as I love Daniel Craig's Bond (and I was one of the smallminded naysayers when I heard he'd been cast) and the fact the he has done a magnificent job from the word go - I still think he will do one more and thats it.....I also feel it will be HIS decision rather than Broccolli's or Wilson's. Daniel Craig is one of the UK's finest actors. He was never really short of work prior to playing Bond and he is not likely to be after- He is an "actor" in the true sense of the word and in many ways I thinks Daniel's career will further flourish post-Bond. So who's your money on for 007 in Bond 25- It's gotta be Mr.Fassbender surely?

Fellow Agents,
    Great post from "The Black007", I think he nails it.
    Personally, I'd be a lot more motivated if eon spent their time talking about finding the absolutely correct story and directors for Bond movies.
    By the looks of things, I think they have struck gold with Sam Mendes but who will come next?
    As for Craig's successor - long may he continue but when the time comes Fassbender would be great.
    Regards, Bentley

• edited August 2012 Posts: 306
    I'm loving these reactions...

There are a lot of things I could say... The mythos that DAD was so bad that they 'needed' to fire Brosnan is such BS. They could have easily given him a swan song film that was more grounded. Hell, he deserved it! He never got the Bond film he really deserved. And yet he and his films were hugely successful and popular. The Broccolis are fickle, mercurial and they don't like their power usurped in any way. Maybe this is, in fact, just a shot across the bow, a negotiating tactic to keep DC from thinking he's running things. DC basically hired the director for this film and shaped the script to his liking - if it is not well received critically (like DAD, the box office will be huge no matter what) then he bears a large responsibility for it.

So.. It's also possible that MGW could be having second thoughts about the direction of the series from what he is seeing in the finished product of SF. I have said this from the start, you cannot keep making Emo Bond films that explore his personal life and history and have downbeat endings. It doesn't fulfill what audiences have come to expect and want from a 007 film. It worked as a novelty with CR, but it can't keep on like that. People want a fun, feel good Bond film. And by casting a scowling killjoy like Craig, you're locked in to this one-note downer. You have to keep bending the franchise to fit him. It lasted only two movies with Dalton, and it won't last more than one more movie with Craig. I'll take any bets.

Call it the Dark Bond trilogy - SF could be a melodramatic step too far.

Whatever happens, Craig will claim it's his choice when he goes...even though every other movie he has done has bombed and audiences show no interest in his Non-Bond work
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    At the end of it all, I personally would love to see Craig in at least another two Bond movies...
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    One thing has me wondering, Who is going to be the successors of EoN Productions when Babs and MGW are no longer able to run things?
    Whoever it is who takes over, one thing is for sure: They'll do a better job.