Producer says Daniel Craig's tenure may end when it peaks

Comments

tqb wrote:

Skip to 11:20 he talks about change in the series. I'll sum it up he says "don't be afraid of change" and "actors, directors, writers, etc are replaceable", "Bond is the star."

He goes on about how Brosnan was well liked but time for change.

Well i see his words were majorly twisted then! No suggestion to me DC's time is up. It is just a case of a film by film deal. And seeing as they have inked deals for Bond's 24 and 25? To me that suggests how many Dan will do? Which i think will be a good run for him.
    There was no suggestion that DC's time was up, only some fans running rampant with it. The reports were accurate but as always the pro- and con- DC folks like to make stuff up themselves.
    fanbond123 wrote:
    As for Henry Cavill - I can't see that ever happening. If Superman: Man of Steel is a big hit, Cavill will be wanted for several sequels - there's bound to be a trilogy - and if Man of Steel is a relative flop Cavill will be seen as damaged goods. "Failed Superman actor gets second chance with Bond." I can't imagine Eon wanting those sorts of headlines.
    I refer you to my previous post (above) on why it's possible for actors to cross franchises and take on other leading roles. It's quite feasible for an actor to make 2 or more movies a year, and for a studio to work around conflicting schedules. If they can do it with Iron Man and Sherlock Holmes, to name but a few, then they can do it with others.

Your headline example could be applied to Craig himself with such flops as Cowboys & Aliens, Girl with a Dragon Tattoo, Dream House and Golden Compass. And there's no way Henry Cavill will be tied in to seven Superman sequels - two or three at a push.

It's quite reasonable to think that by the time Craig is done with Bond, maybe after Bond 24 or 25, that Henry Cavill will have also finished his run with Superman and be looking for fresher challenges. I have a feeling that this new Superman won't be a flop as you suggest and will prove to be a huge hit when it eventually comes out, but it won't run for 14 years and spawn 7 sequels!!

Also, consider the fact that Cavill already has successfully screen tested for the role of 007 but narrowly missed out due to the producers thinking he was too young at the time. There's now every possibility that they will think him more suitable and ready when Craig retires.
    1.) i hope they stay away from Qantum for future films- the Euro Trash Enviromentalist VIllians

2) i hope that Craig leaves after Skyfall (wait scratch that After Bond 24) that way he and Pierce will have 4 films and i will would feel happy, he will atleast have 2 good films and wont descend into the boredom that Connery got after Thunderball and lets face it after Bond 24 Craig is going to be rather too old for Bond

3) i really hope Michael Fassbender will play Bond even if its 1 film like Lazenby
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    People tying to champion Cavill for the role are wasting their time and energy. He'll never be Bond. He could have had the greatest screen test for Bond the world has ever seen but the fact is, he was passed over for what ever reason and now he's superman. It's like you don't understand what that means. Being cast as superman automatically removes any chance of him being cast as Bond. The producers are of the mind set and rightfully so I might add that who ever is in the lead role as Bond, needs to be seen as exactly that. As Bond. It's not rocket science. Don't let wishful thinking impair logic.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    On the other hand, Roger was SUPER-Saint and Pierce was SUPER- Remington before they were Bond. But I agree that you can only be one SUPER-Human at a time. If you ask me, Cavill is out should they continue Superman for another 2. By the way, he was at a casting for CR and runner-up after DC, but eventually he was considered too young (I read that sometime long ago on the previous forum).
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 306
    doubleoego wrote:
    timmer wrote:
    The video does clear up the context issues. MGW is not throwing Craig under the bus at all. However I do agree with @alexanderwaverly. MGW has been all over the map with his comments. He's hard to take seriously these days, but the video does provide a tidy little summary of the Bond franchise's history. But if Craig does depart after SF, I won't be crying. For many of the reasons outlined upthread by the eloquent @verybond, DC, to be kind, is shall we say, an acquired taste as Bond - a taste I have not yet acquired and never will, so as much as I would love to see DC gracefully depart the franchise and be replaced with a younger actor with the classic Bond look, MGW hasn't said anything here to indicate that a change is imminent or even likely.

What is the classic Bond look? Tall, dark hair and a face that can land a Givenchy fragrance campaign deal?? These sorts of comments are always interesting to me, particularly as they're mainly coming from a bunch of dudes. Craig imo along with Connery are the 2 most realistic-looking Bond actors who aren't "pretty boys" but ruggedly good looking who look well dressed and can portray that killer instinct but I guess actors with model-type looks, pretending to act tough and failing to convince they are tough is perfectly acceptable to some.

Yeah...and I always get a big kick out of "dudes" like you who are so in love with DC that they like to imply his critics must be gay to notice how butt-fugly he is.

You know full-well what "classic Bond" looks like. From the beginning, Bond was described as a "gentleman" and "playboy" spy and his womanizing was an integral part of his character. He was not just some thug killer, not even close. You know that. Bond is an aspirational hero, he's wish-fulfillment. Men want to BE that charming, handsome guy in a tuxedo who can have any woman in the world. That's the fantasy, get it? Again, you know this. I don't want to be DC at all, because I'm not into misery, humorlessness and extremely "gay" body-building. Nice try.

I don't believe DC's Bond enjoys or even likes women that much, let alone womanizes.

And please, Sean Connery? He was rugged yes, but he was always good-looking - hell, even if he took his toupee off, he looked better than DC.

It's a tired argument, so let it go...
  • And I must admit I get a kick out of those clinging to the ideal image set down by the CNB all these years later ;)
    VeryBond wrote:
    Yeah...and I always get a big kick out of "dudes" like you who are so in love with DC that they like to imply his critics must be gay to notice how butt-fugly he is.
    I find your comment borders on homophobia and wish you would stop gay-bashing.
    VeryBond wrote:
    I don't want to be DC at all, because I'm not into misery, humorlessness and extremely "gay" body-building. Nice try.

Never heard of gay body building. And please don't care to elaborate...
    LOL. I'm the homophobic one?? But doubleego can imply timmer is gay just because he thinks Craig is ugly? Seriously. Are you that blindly biased?

That was a nasty post he put up - not to mention the fact that he bashed FOUR other Bond actors in the process - and none of you sensitive people said a word.
    And I must admit I get a kick out of those clinging to the ideal image set down by the CNB all these years later ;)

C'mon, Henry. It wasn't set down by CNB, it was set down by the FIRST 20 FILMS. From 1962 to 2002. And again, I don't have to tell you that.

• RC7RC7
    zebrafish wrote:
    Never heard of gay body building. And please don't care to elaborate...

Don't really want to fan the flames but this comment is at odds with your request to VeryBond to stop his homophobia/gay-bashing.

• edited August 2012 Posts: 3,494
    VeryBond wrote:
    And I must admit I get a kick out of those clinging to the ideal image set down by the CNB all these years later ;)

C'mon, Henry. It wasn't set down by CNB, it was set down by the FIRST 20 FILMS. From 1962 to 2002. And again, I don't have to tell you that.

You're right, you don't have to tell me that. I was willing to be a charter member of that crew if you remember. Until I realized that I had stereotyped what Bond should look like just like they did, instead of judging the man on his portrayal. If someone doesn't like how he does the role, that's fine by me, that's fair. But judging him by his face and body, that's something a woman is better qualified to speak on than you, I, or any other guy on this board. They love the guy. Who am I to argue? The franchise is making money and I like the Craig era thus far. I'd rather judge Bond girls than resort to stereotyping, thank you very much.

SaintMark wrote:
    There was no suggestion that DC's time was up, only some fans running rampant with it. The reports were accurate but as always the pro- and con- DC folks like to make stuff up themselves.
    Well, the below words were on the MI6 main page. Of course, not all of it was a report in the technical sense, but things are not hinted at either but matter-of-factly said.
    JamesPage wrote:
    Now, producer Michael G. Wilson has told a culture industry seminar held during the London Olympic Games that Daniel Craig's tenure in the role may end when they deem it to have peaked.

Wilson said he would have no qualms about replacing the franchise’s latest star should "Skyfall" prove to be the rugged actor’s peak. He added, "Pierce [Brosnan] was well-liked and the grosses were going up. But we knew we had to change things before they started to taper off. Bond is the star. He is bigger than any actor that portrays him."
    VeryBond wrote:

You're right, you don't have to tell me that. I was willing to be a charter member of that crew if you remember. Until I realized that I had stereotyped what Bond should look like just like they did, instead of judging the man on his portrayal. If someone doesn't like how he does the role, that's fine by me, that's fair. But judging him by his face and body, that's something a woman is better qualified to speak on than you, I, or any other guy on this board. They love the guy. Who am I to argue? The franchise is making money and I like the Craig era thus far. I'd rather judge Bond girls than resort to stereotyping, thank you very much.

Well, respectfully sir, I couldn't disagree more. People judged Brosnan for being too thin or not having enough muscle, so what's the difference? Physical qualifications play a part in EVERY iconic film role. Would you be okay with an obese Indiana Jones? How about a disabled actor or the world's shortest man playing Bond? Still think it shouldn't matter? Of course not. It's ridiculous to think these things are not relevant. DC's fans are just desperately in denial about his fugliness. Some women like him, yes, but would they if he was a plumber? I don't think so. I think the fact that he's Bond makes him appealing - that, and I guess his confidence level. Only the opposite sex can comment on someone's looks? That's the same homophobic stereotype I'm talking about. Bond's ladykiller looks are a large part of his persona.

And who said anything about Bond girls? We judge them too, of course. And we "stereotype" what a Bond girl should look like...

I can't follow your logic.

Famke Jansen was kind of ugly to me, actually. Halle Berry, though woeful in her part, was hot as hell. Sophie Marceau was the sexiest and best of recent years, IMO.

I'm not turning in my straight-guy card by noticing DC has a plantain for a nose.

PS> I don't like the grim way he plays the role either.
    Actually, Gemma Arterton was probably the one I lusted after the most. She was incredibly appealing and they made a big mistake by killing her off and not bringing her back to be "Eve" or Moneypenny, or whoever.
    RC7 wrote:
    Don't really want to fan the flames but this comment is at odds with your request to VeryBond to stop his homophobia/gay-bashing.
    I am just saying that I consider it derogative to use "gay" for anything that does not fit with someone's view of the world. Therefore I am not even interested to know why a pumped-up body should be considered gay (thinking of Sylvester Stallone, the epitome of not gay, I guess).
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,944
    VeryBond wrote:
    DC's fans are just desperately in denial about his fugliness... DC has a plantain for a nose... Actually, Gemma Arterton was probably the one I lusted after the most. She was incredibly appealing and they made a big mistake by killing her off and not bringing her back to be "Eve" or Moneypenny, or whoever.
    How about if she was born with 6 digits on each hand?... Fact.

doubleoego wrote:
    People tying to champion Cavill for the role are wasting their time and energy. He'll never be Bond. He could have had the greatest screen test for Bond the world has ever seen but the fact is, he was passed over for what ever reason and now he's superman. It's like you don't understand what that means. Being cast as superman automatically removes any chance of him being cast as Bond. The producers are of the mind set and rightfully so I might add that who ever is in the lead role as Bond, needs to be seen as exactly that. As Bond. It's not rocket science. Don't let wishful thinking impair logic.
    No need to get your knickers in a twist, ego. You've proven nothing with your statement other than it's your belief that if an actor is chosen to play "Superman" subsequently he can't play Bond. It's not written in any statutory law or chiseled in stone through the marble halls of EON. I suppose if you'd been around in the late 60s you'd have said: "If an actor has played The Saint and is know worldwide for that role (which he was) he can't play Bond!" Cubby was seriously considering Adam West for James Bond at one point, the only overriding factor against him was that he was American and not that he had been known to millions as Batman. Some people here happen to think that Christian Bale might make a good Bond in future, but that can't happen as it would be crossing 2 seperate worlds and the whole universe would implode if that were to genuinely transpire.

Unless you are MGW or Babs you don't know what the producers are thinking. To actually suggest that an audience has to "believe" that the actor playing James Bond IS in fact James Bond is the "mindset" of a highly volatile individual who can't seperate fact from fiction. Audiences know that Daniel Craig is an "actor" and if they choose to go and see him act out as Mikael Blomkvist or James Bond, they know it's a performance. But I wouldn't want rational thinking to get in the way of scornful indifference, now would I?
    QBranch wrote:
    How about if she was born with 6 digits on each hand?...

Even better

;)

I love her "common" accent too. She's just wonderfully sexy without trying.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    This discussion is going out of control again. But I have to add that Daniel Craig would continue being an extraordinarily sexy man even if he was a plummer, a miner, an accountant, etc and that's not just my opinion. It's not the suit that makes the man, it's the man that makes the suit. He was sexy before Bond and will continue to be so after he leaves the role.
    Sandy wrote:
    This discussion is going out of control again. But I have to add that Daniel Craig would continue being an extraordinarily sexy man even if he was a plummer, a miner, an accountant, etc and that's not just my opinion. It's not the suit that makes the man, it's the man that makes the suit. He was sexy before Bond and will continue to be so after he leaves the role.

Just to echo Sandy's comment. For what it's worth, every woman I know lusts after Craig. Every one. Including my wife, sadly. And it was that way before Bond. So maybe us guys aren't the best judge of what man is "good looking" or not.

Grinderman wrote:
    Sandy wrote:

Just to echo Sandy's comment. For what it's worth, every woman I know lusts after Craig. Every one. Including my wife, sadly. And it was that way before Bond. So maybe us guys aren't the best judge of what man is "good looking" or not.

Well that's certainly scientific evidence.

And she thought PB was too "pretty", right? "Not her type"? Yeah...

And BS on "before" Bond - most women in the world had no idea who DC was before he was cast as Bond.

I'm sure they find him very sexy...in a fugly, rough trade, ex-boxer kind of way. Still doesn't make him the majority's vision of sophisticated suave James Bond.
    edited August 2012 Posts: 11,139
    bondsum wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    No need to get your knickers in a twist, ego. You've proven nothing with your statement other than it's your belief that if an actor is chosen to play "Superman" subsequently he can't play Bond. It's not written in any statutory law or chiseled in stone through the marble halls of EON. I suppose if you'd been around in the late 60s you'd have said: "If an actor has played The Saint and is know worldwide for that role (which he was) he can't play Bond!" Cubby was seriously considering Adam West for James Bond at one point, the only overriding factor against him was that he was American and not that he had been known to millions as Batman. Some people here happen to think that Christian Bale might make a good Bond in future, but that can't happen as it would be crossing 2 seperate worlds and the whole universe would implode if that were to genuinely transpire.

Unless you are MGW or Babs you don't know what the producers are thinking. To actually suggest that an audience has to "believe" that the actor playing James Bond IS in fact James Bond is the "mindset" of a highly volatile individual who can't seperate fact from fiction. Audiences know that Daniel Craig is an "actor" and if they choose to go and see him act out as Mikael Blomkvist or James Bond, they know it's a performance. But I wouldn't want rational thinking to get in the way of scornful indifference, now would I?

Really?? All these words and yet you've said pretty much nothing. As for what I've proved, I'm going by extrapolation. I guarantee it that Hell will freeze over first before Cavill gets cast as Bond and you can quote me on that. Admirable attempt but no.
    VeryBond wrote:
    Grinderman wrote:
    Sandy wrote:

And BS on "before" Bond - most women in the world had no idea who DC was before he was cast as Bond.

I'm sure they find him very sexy...in a fugly, rough trade, ex-boxer kind of way. Still doesn't make him the majority's vision of sophisticated suave James Bond.

Never claimed it was "scientific evidence", mate. Thus the "for what it's worth" set up. Geesh, some people have a real axe to grind.

Also, plenty of people knew Daniel Craig before he was cast as Bond. There was Layer Cake, of course. He was simply awesome in "The Jacket" after that. He first caught my eye in "Sylvia" and "Enduring Love". My wife is a big Lara Croft fan so she knew him from that back in, what?, 2000/2001?.

Just because you weren't aware of him, doesn't mean no one else was.
    edited August 2012 Posts: 11,139
    VeryBond wrote:
    Grinderman wrote:
    Sandy wrote:

I find it interesting abd somewhat telling that you persistently can't help yourself from using the word fugly to describe Craig. Do you want to be Bond or do you want to shag him? I'm a little confused but I guess we wouldn't want that now, would we.
  • My ex girlfriend said the same thing. She found Craig to be terribly sexy upon watching CR. And I had a chat with a few lady friends, all of which agreed that they felt Craig was the opposite of a pretty boy. Very masculine, very rugged, but they claimed that's what makes him sexy.

@VeryBond points out Craig's confidence as one of his few good traits, but I think that is a critical point. In my opinion, Craig oozes more confidence than just about any of them, with Connery being the exception. And that is a major, major aspect of the character of James Bond, and what makes him appealing and, frankly, sexy.

Craig deserves a lot of kudos for that alone. And he's able to pull it off so effortlessly precisely because he's a fantastic ACTOR.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    And that's partly why he'll go on to do Bond 24/25 :D
    See, one can be good looking and lack being sexy whilst also one can be lacking in the superficial, traditionally accepted as being good looking but still be regarded as sexy.

Being sexy is also like having swag. It's an attitude and how one carries themselves.
  • Agree wholeheartedly @doubleoego