Producer says Daniel Craig's tenure may end when it peaks

Comments

There seems to be a lot of confusion. We ALL want a good Bond film, not AVATK or DAD. But that doesn't mean you throw away all that has made the series a phenomenon and the basic essence of our hero just to be "fresh". How come almost all of us agree on OHMSS? Think about it. Because it perfectly delivers the thrills and fun while also mixing up the formula.
    Just thinking,

Nolan comes out and says he wants to helm Bond, but only if he gets to start fresh.
    Then, the next month, the Bond producer steps out and says he's not afraid to drop the current lead and start fresh.

Interesting.
    I think Bond is ready for a gay relatonship he should be on a boat with a guy at the end.
  • tqbtqb
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Just thinking,

Nolan comes out and says he wants to helm Bond, but only if he gets to start fresh.
    Then, the next month, the Bond producer steps out and says he's not afraid to drop the current lead and start fresh.

Interesting.

I'm not sure where the source is now but Nolan said he had already met with producers awhile ago.
    VeryBond wrote:

Obviously you've paid little attention to examples of this in the prior two films, or simply didn't see enough of it for your liking. Have we already decided Skyfall won't provide that, or that Craig is incapable of it?

And how do you know he won't walk off with Eve in the end? You're an old timer, you should know better than making statements like that without seeing the film first. I think you just want to hate the guy.

I am coming to SF as hopeful as any Bond fan...but not blind to the two dozen bad omens I have seen in the trailers so far, and script, storyboards, etc. The dour tone, the personal plot, the lack of action, the big twist, the downbeat ending (knowing what we know, do you really believe this has an upbeat exhilarating ending of any kind?), and most of all, the inability of Craig to move his face or alter his line readings. That's just my take on what I've seen. It's very much the same thing we got in the last two Craigs. If I'm totally off, I'll be happy to say so.

Well, if you are looking for Moore/Brosnan feelgood cliches, let's wait and see the film. Looked to me like he was having a good time drinking, wenching, "enjoying death" as he says. Caught him smiling and winking a few times in those dreaded trailers ;)

"You must introduce me to your occulist"

Yeah, he's bags of fun. I think he smirked once alone in his car.

What does he know of fear? "All there is" - puke.

Even the resurrection line, which should be said with knowing brio comes out flat. His "banter" with Q is delivered just as monotone and devoid of life.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 3,494
    VeryBond wrote:
    There seems to be a lot of confusion. We ALL want a good Bond film, not AVATK or DAD. But that doesn't mean you throw away all that has made the series a phenomenon and the basic essence of our hero just to be "fresh". How come almost all of us agree on OHMSS? Think about it. Because it perfectly delivers the thrills and fun while also mixing up the formula.

And again, you can't say there are no thrills and fun based alone on the trailers we've seen. You are simply reacting to what little has been shown. Let's see if you are right later on. And to prove my point, think back to the torture scene in CR if you think he can't smile and laugh in the face of danger.
    craigrules wrote:
    I think Bond is ready for a gay relationship he should be on a boat with a guy at the end.

You're a strange man craigrules. I must have missed the humor in that.

• edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    @SirHenryLeeChaChing I agree there was a reason for CR and QOS, and the endings worked well (in fact for QOS, the ending was one of the only scenes I liked), but I hope there isn't a reason this time, because we haven't had an ending with Bond getting the girl for 2 films, so I'd like one for SF.
    actonsteve wrote:
    One of the most loved and acclaimed films of the lot has a very downbeat ending. His bride is killed in front of him. Do you think it would have been improved if it had finished with Laz making smart oneliners when his bride had been killed.

Erm, no. There's nothing in my post that suggests that. I love OHMSS the way it is.
    actonsteve wrote:
    And one of the best final scenes ever is CR with Craig maiming Mr White and then stalking up to say that line...

Would you have preferred him on a pedalo on Lake Como surrounded by bikinied beauties giggling away?

There is a reason for the downbeat endings. They work within the context of the film and Dan is very good at them.

Again, no. Please stop this. Just because I said I'd like a happy ending with Bond getting the girl for SF, it doesn't mean I want every film to have one. It worked for OHMSS, CR, QOS, yeah, and there were reasons in the film.

But I hope there isn't a reason for SF because we haven't had Bond getting the girl for 2 films, and it won't be fresh anymore to not have that if they do it too much. Do you see my point now?

Since SF is meant to be more of a classic, 60s themed Bond film, I think a happy ending with him getting the girl would work in the context of the film, and since we haven't had one for a while, I don't see what'd be wrong with one.
    actonsteve wrote:
    There is a reason for the downbeat endings. They work within the context of the film and Dan is very good at them.

My point exactly. That's the problem. The movies are being shaped around the surly attitude and limitations of the current actor.

But Henry is right - we will see.

VeryBond wrote:
    Think about it. Because it perfectly delivers the thrills and fun while also mixing up the formula.

But its the mixing up of the formula ie Bond marries for love is the reason the film succeeds. Its one of the reasons along with the direciton and cast that the film is so well acclaimed. For once we have an adult story with characters we care about.

If that is taken out what do we have?

bond finds Blofeld, infiltrates his hideout, sleeps with women, escapes, goes back with an army, kisses girl iin final reel.

Just like any other Bond film. But thats what you want. Cookiecutter Bond...

• VeryBond wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:

My point exactly. That's the problem. The movies are being shaped around the surly attitude and limitations of the current actor.

But Henry is right - we will see.

Wow, we agreed on something? And I agree with you and everyone who thinks he should walk off with a babe in tow this time. If we assume that Eve is with him on that rooftop as what little we know of the script is indicating, it'll be her in his arms at the end if it's going to happen. I will be disappointed myself if that doesn't happen. Unless of course (I shudder at the thought but don't exactly buy it) that M is his mother and he's grief stricken again. That would be something to legit complain about.

Sigh. No, I don't want cookie cutter Bond, I want an entertaining satisfying Bond. OHMSS works because the ending comes as such a contrast to the rest of the film, a genuine shock. DC is nothing but Emo now, so there is no contrast, no shock, just a new kind of cliche.
    Unless of course (I shudder at the thought but don't exactly buy it) that M is his mother and he's grief stricken again. That would be something to legit complain about.

If they do that, then it'll be worse than last years anniversary film, and we all know how that was.
    Henry - We agreed enough. ;)

Oh, and just remember what you said in that post
    Dear VeryBond,

If you go into the film having already made your mind up on what you want from it or unable to take it on its own accord then you are setting yourself up for disapointment.

I accept people who go in with an open mind and dont like it but have little time for those who have made their mind already because they have a narrow view of what they want and are unable to adapt.
    VeryBond wrote:
    Henry - We agreed enough. ;)

Oh, and just remember what you said in that post

I will and will duly be as disappointed as I've indicated. I want a happy ending too, I agree with TLR that the ending needs to be more upbeat this time. The clapperboard says Eve's with him. I can only hope. But that won't necessarily make or break the movie, what comes before will dictate that. I loved the happy ending in LTK even though many think it wasn't appropriate, yet many of those same people loved the rest of the film just like I did. Something like that.
    Part of the issue here is that we had decade after decade of the "fun" Bond. Dozens of lightweight, cliched films. Even when Moore was trying to be "serious Bond", there were still plenty of flipant one-liners and birds to be shagged. Dalton was a bit serious but still shagged the birds and threw off the one liners and always ended happy. Broz tried to be serious as well, but still had plenty of double entendres, magical gadgets and, of course, more birds to be shagged.

And now we have - what? - two 'serious' Bond films with no gadgets, fewer one liners and very few shagged birds - and you guys are complaining already? Gimme a break.
    Grinderman wrote:
    Dalton was a bit serious but still shagged the birds and threw off the one liners and always ended happy.

A bit? He's the most serious Bond along with Craig (LTK is probably the most serious film in the series), and like you said, he still had fun at times. Daltons films are the perfect example of a middle ground. Which I hope SF has.

Just because I want a few gadgets, Bond getting the girl and maybe a one liner or two, it doesn't mean I want a cookie cutter Bond film packed with cliches.

And there are gadgets in SF, Bond gets laid and there seems to be some funny lines/scenes. Bad luck mate ;)
    It looks like he's shagging at least two in SF, and maybe 3. My goddess, he's going to be the next Sir Roger :))

Bond only had Kara and maybe the girl on the yacht in the beginning. And TLD is brilliant and a top 5 movie IMO. It isn't everything.

@TLR- Looks like there's plenty of room for a middle ground in SF. That's what I want too.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Some of you people are deluded.

SF hasn't been released yet and some of you talk as if you've seen the film. Craig and every Ine has praised the script, the talent involved infront abd behind the camera is the best assembled for any Bond film. Craig has gone above and beyond what he should be doing without seeking recognition. If anything, Craig has shown nothing but respect, gratitude abd massive amounts of appreciation and commitment to the series and as much as Bond is bigger than Craig, Craig is an actor, a bloody good one at that and can easily live without Bond, hell it took some convincing for him to take on the role in the first place.

On top of all of that, Craig IS an extremely popular Bond, had broken new ground (Olympics anyone?) and with the recent MGM financial crisis that happened do you honestly think Craig is that motivated abd driven by a massive pay rise?? Give the man more credit. He just wants to get on with doing his job abd that's act and to put on an excellent performance as he always does.

Forget Nolan abd you can also forget about Craig leaving because he's not leaving any time soon. He's still relatively young and delivers as the main protagonist of the series.
    SF looks fantastic so far and already has a massive buzz surrounding it and I look forward to discussing wether Craig's Bond should or shouldn't have laces in his shoes when we all see on set pics of him fir Bond 25 8-|
    actonsteve wrote:
    More then a little concerned about this.

I have always liked MGW. I half penned my favourite Bond FYEO and always had a penchance for the thriller Bonds. I always thought he was the one who always gave us the different direction given by Dalton and Craig. Bond grew up during his tenure.

But "change for change sake" is a very dubious reason. We had a CEO who boasted about "shaking things up" and "stopping people getting complacent" what actually happened was that his "changes" alienated every one. If there are changes, if there are sackings then there has to be a solid reason behind them not "we will do it because we are at the top of our game"

And Bond is at the top of his game. His exposure at the Olympic ceremony was one of the highlights. No Bond, except maybe Connery has reached that heights. I suspect Dan is now commanding a scary amount of money. Pierce demanded 20 million dollars for his last film which is a hell of a lot of the budget.

I am hoping it is one of the scare tactics the Broccolis use when negotiating with their leading man (everyone knows about Cubbys games with Roger) and its a reminder to Dans people he isnt indespensible.

Because the thought of losing him after 3/4 films is unbearable.

I think to remember, that you are one of those real big fans. You should know better then suspect that. Like I said - twice, but nobody cares to listen - he would not demand a sum, that would worry the prods or drive them to any measures such as this.

I am more sure now then when I read it first, that this is just a little writers twist of what MGW has said. The context is probably right, but he wrote it to make it sound, like the axe is already over DC*'s head. That I strongly doubt. He spoke in general and maybe not even about DC.

Grinderman wrote:
    Dalton was a bit serious but still shagged the birds and threw off the one liners and always ended happy.

A bit? He's the most serious Bond along with Craig (LTK is probably the most serious film in the series), and like you said, he still had fun at times. Daltons films are the perfect example of a middle ground. Which I hope SF has.

Just because I want a few gadgets, Bond getting the girl and maybe a one liner or two, it doesn't mean I want a cookie cutter Bond film packed with cliches.

And there are gadgets in SF, Bond gets laid and there seems to be some funny lines/scenes. Bad luck mate ;)

I don't mind Bond getting laid. But the Moore style where all Bond has to do is just give some brainless chick a lounge lizard lear and it's off to the bedroom is just so outdated and cliche it's beyond stupid. That's why Mike Myers has all that cash.
    actonsteve wrote:
    Dear VeryBond,

If you go into the film having already made your mind up on what you want from it or unable to take it on its own accord then you are setting yourself up for disapointment.

I accept people who go in with an open mind and dont like it but have little time for those who have made their mind already because they have a narrow view of what they want and are unable to adapt.

Dear actonsteve,

Thank you for your very kind letter of 8/14.

I will do my best.

Hoping we'll see you at the lake this year. Love to Emma and the kids.

Sincerely,
    Your Old Friend
    VeryBond

doubleoego wrote:
    Forget Nolan

What does Nolan have to do with any of this? And why wouldn't he be able to direct in the future?
    doubleoego wrote:
    had broken new ground (Olympics anyone?)

That's not really Craig though, it's the producers and Danny Boyle. He just happened to be Bond at the time.
    doubleoego wrote:
    you can also forget about Craig leaving because he's not leaving any time soon. He's still relatively young and delivers as the main protagonist of the series.
    SF looks fantastic so far and already has a massive buzz surrounding it and I look forward to discussing wether Craig's Bond should or shouldn't have laces in his shoes when we all see on set pics of him fir Bond 25 8-|

Bond 25? Yeah I can see him doing 2 more, but it really depends on how fast they get the films out. Craig is how old, 46, 47? I don't think any Bond actor should carry on past 50. I don't think we should be predicting how many he'll do because we have no idea what will happen in the future.

SF looks good, definetly, but like you said, we can't judge it until we've seen the film. Him delivering is just your opinion (I don't disagree with it though).
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I can't believe how much people are reading into this! Get your heads cool and look again at the article. Did MGW say "If Skyfall is Daniel Craig's peak then it should be his las Bond film"? No, the only quote is "Pierce [Brosnan] was well-liked and the grosses were going up. But we knew we had to change things before they started to taper off. Bond is the star. He is bigger than any actor that portrays him." that's it, the rest is written from the (I presume) journalist's point of view. Now look at the point the discussion has reached!

And I just noticed something else. Does anybody know the "source" of this information? Where was it published? Think about it with a cold head instead of jumping right away into it.

By the way:
    Murdock wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    One thing has me wondering, Who is going to be the successors of EoN Productions when Babs and MGW are no longer able to run things?

Michael has a son, who is in the business. I think, he should take over from Michael soon. The man is not even 70 but looks very fragile and not too well. He could remain as adviser surely. Babs still has it for years to come IMO..

Ah I didn't know MGW had a son. Thanks @Germanlady. :)

Two sons involved in Bond production from what I know. Search for the following names on the title sequences of the previous 3 or 4 films: David G Wilson and Gregg Wilson.
    craigrules wrote:
    well you fun lovers can watch Austin Powers and leave Bond to lovers of kick ass entertainment.

I'm sorry, but I don't like when people say things like this, even though you have the right to express your opinion. What if I were to tell you this:
    "well you emo lovers can watch Titanic and leave Bond to lovers of kick ass entertainment".
    actonsteve wrote:
    Pierce demanded 20 million dollars for his last film which is a hell of a lot of the budget.

"Twenty million?" squeaks Brosnan with seemingly genuine surprise, before embarking on a prolonged rebuttal. "Oh no! Rubbish! Oh for God's sake! Bollocks! No way! No, it was 
a handsome round figure, of maybe £10m, or something like that. Given what the films make, it's a spit in the bucket. I wasn't being greedy. The age issue? Bollocks to that, too."

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/men-of-the-year/home/-hall-of-fame/pierce-brosnan-2005-james-bond-interview

VeryBond wrote:

So.. It's also possible that MGW could be having second thoughts about the direction of the series from what he is seeing in the finished product of SF. I have said this from the start, you cannot keep making Emo Bond films that explore his personal life and history and have downbeat endings. It doesn't fulfill what audiences have come to expect and want from a 007 film. It worked as a novelty with CR, but it can't keep on like that. People want a fun, feel good Bond film. And by casting a scowling killjoy like Craig, you're locked in to this one-note downer. You have to keep bending the franchise to fit him. It lasted only two movies with Dalton, and it won't last more than one more movie with Craig. I'll take any bets.

I agree about the emo part, which is one, if not the biggest problem I have with Craig's two first movies. I really hope that Craig gets the girl for once and that the melodrama is dropped. I do, however, disagree that Craig guarantees emo movies only. I am confident that he can do classic Bond well. He is a good actor and has convinced me in some scenes in CR, QOS and the SF trailer. If I'm wrong, and his presence automatically makes the movies similar to like CR & QOS (thus bending the franchise to fit him), I want him sacked after SF. But I really think Craig can do really well as the classic, cinematic Bond (and I think he will, SF seems to be a smash). Just please stop making emo movies and make Bond fun again! IMO the melodrama fits better in Titanic and Moulin Rouge.
  • tqbtqb
    sigh i hate these threads
    tqb wrote:

I'm enjoying it. You've got the big Craig fans going into defense mode and saying SF will be amazing, Craig will carry on for ages, etc. Then you have the Craig haters saying that they hope he does get axed, he's an emo, SF will be crap, etc. Then you have reasonable people in the middle of it all.

Fun to read.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited August 2012 Posts: 11,139
    doubleoego wrote:
    Forget Nolan

What does Nolan have to do with any of this? And why wouldn't he be able to direct in the future?

I mentioned Nolan because someone was insinuating that because Nolan had met with the producers earlier and mentioned things being a matter of timing and then linked it to Wilson's comments in the article. That is pure bs to me.
    doubleoego wrote:
    had broken new ground (Olympics anyone?)

That's not really Craig though, it's the producers and Danny Boyle. He just happened to be Bond at the time.

Do you think if Craig wasn't popular as Bond and the films didn't strive for more than silly, juvenile nonsense that this would have happened?? Of course it wouldn't.
    doubleoego wrote:
    you can also forget about Craig leaving because he's not leaving any time soon. He's still relatively young and delivers as the main protagonist of the series.

Bond 25? Yeah I can see him doing 2 more, but it really depends on how fast they get the films out. Craig is how old, 46, 47? I don't think any Bond actor should carry on past 50. I don't think we should be predicting how many he'll do because we have no idea what will happen in the future.

Um Craig is 43 or 44 and has had the same look since his late 20s. Moore was 45 when he took on the role and at 50 Tom Cruise is running around doing all types of crazy action abd Liam Neeson is 60 and still believably kicking ass. I'm not saying Craig should be in the role until he looks like a pensioner but his look isn't going to drastically change over the next 10 years and more importantly he's that good enough if an actor to sell being Bond to the audience.
    SF looks good, definetly, but like you said, we can't judge it until we've seen the film. Him delivering is just your opinion (I don't disagree with it though).

Well Craig's success, creative influence and popularity as Bond is a clear indication of him delivering but yes, SF looks awesome and we just have to wait and see the final product.
    doubleoego wrote:
    I mentioned Nolan because someone was insinuating that because Nolan had met with the producers earlier and mentioned things being a matter of timing and then linked it to Wilson's comments in the article. That is pure bs to me.

Ah, ok, I agree with you there, although I would like Nolan to direct a Bond in the future.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Do you think if Craig wasn't popular as Bond and the films didn't strive for more than silly, juvenile nonsense that this would have happened?? Of course it wouldn't.

If anyone else was Bond it still would've happened. They did it because Bond is a British icon and the Olympics were in London, and they wanted publicity for the new film.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Well Craig's success, creative influence and popularity as Bond is a clear indication of him delivering but yes, SF looks awesome and we just have to wait and see the final product.

Just because Craig is popular and successful it doesn't mean it'll be good. Not sure about his creative influence either since he was forced to write QOS scenes and that film is a mess imo. But yeah it does look like it'll be good and we just have to wait and see.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Um Craig is 43 or 44 and has had the same look since his late 20s. Moore was 45 when he took on the role and at 50 Tom Cruise is running around doing all types of crazy action abd Liam Neeson is 60 and still believably kicking ass. I'm not saying Craig should be in the role until he looks like a pensioner but his look isn't going to drastically change over the next 10 years and more importantly he's that good enough if an actor to sell being Bond to the audience.

He hasn't looked the same since his late 20s, and he's aged a fair bit since CR I think. Liam Neeson does action well, but he still looks too old to play James Bond, which is what could happen to Craig is he carries on too long. I don't think he'll be Bond for the next 10 years either. I can see him doing a 4th film, maybe a 5th and 6th if they get them out in time. Craig is smart and if he looks too old in 2016/17 or whatever, he won't stick around for the sake of it, when he knows there are younger actors who can do just as good.
  • tqbtqb
    tqb wrote:

I'm enjoying it. You've got the big Craig fans going into defense mode and saying SF will be amazing, Craig will carry on for ages, etc. Then you have the Craig haters saying that they hope he does get axed, he's an emo, SF will be crap, etc. Then you have reasonable people in the middle of it all.

Fun to read.

True just reading this stuff reminds me of politics. People have their opinions and will stick by them no matter what. And in the scheme of things we have no power- so it's just arguing for the sake of arguing.