Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I see what you chaps are saying. What I mean is that bond actors tend to truly make the role their own when they stop playing a role, and just portray a version of themselves onscreen. I will say that as much as I dislike Bond 25, I did think when Craig was interrogating the boris clone on the boat, that seemed like the most organic portrayal we've gotten from him. Kind of agitated and slightly grumpy, it worked.

I don't doubt Turner has been cast on his dark looks, and has played up to those roles in his career. You kinda have to sometimes, you have to work with what you have right? But if you watch interviews or behind the scenes of Turner he is always being affable and friendly and laid back, and I firmly believe that would show through in his performance from at least his second film onwards. Personality wise he's much closer to a brozza or Moore than Craig or Dalton. Whenever I see behind the scenes with Brozza he always seems to be having fun, putting everyone at ease, not taking himself too seriously. I think Turner would bring that kind of lively energy, which IMO is what Bond has been missing of late.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 13 Posts: 15,165
    No idea where you're coming from with that. It's not like Craig isn't affable and jokey when he's interviewed either. Bond actors aren't playing themselves.
    'Bond 25'? Are you making some kind of point by calling it that?
    mtm wrote: »
    Bond actors aren't playing themselves.

They sort of are, sort of aren't. That's why I said a version of themselves.

Craig is different, Craig was playing a character at least until Skyfall. That's why I tend not to connect with his portrayal.

A Bond actors main job is to make it so the audience needs no other excuse to go along on a mission. You're supposed to think "wherever this guy goes, I'm in" He's so intoxicating. For me, Brosnans bond had that quality from the card game with xenia onwards, it was never in doubt. There are chunks of Craigs run where I think I'd rather leave him drunk at the bar, and go find something more interesting going on.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    No idea where you're coming from with that. It's not like Craig isn't affable and jokey when he's interviewed either. Bond actors aren't playing themselves.

He doesn't ever call NTTD by its name. It's his comfort blanket to call it Bond 25, 😂 ...
  • edited May 13 Posts: 3,097
    Yes, I don’t quite get it either. Like, surely if you dislike it it makes more sense calling it NTTD rather than Bond 25. By calling it the latter you’re basically admitting it’s still an official Bond film/that’s how you see it rather than something that exists outside of that. But I digress…

I think it’s fair to say all actors bring something of themselves to any role, but not all actors necessarily excel at certain qualities that they have offscreen. Many actors for instance can’t do comedy particularly well (including the great Marlon Brando, who in real could be a bit mischievous and certainly funny, and yet it never quite translated into his more comedic roles).

Regardless, going from his previous roles I can’t imagine Turner doing the sort of stuff Craig did with as much confidence and style - even something like casually strutting along the roof/ledge in SP’s PTS, or verbally sparring with Vesper in CR etc. EoN may well see something in him though and an audition might allow that humour to come out with a different take, but I just don’t see it.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    peter wrote: »

He doesn't ever call NTTD by its name. It's his comfort blanket to call it Bond 25, 😂 ...

People are weird.
    edited May 13 Posts: 8,181
    When you see the villains pull up along side bond, and roger gives the smile, that's just rog being rog. When Peirce skips across the road in hamburg in TND that's Peirce being Peirce, it's effortless. When Dalton says "I got the message" with that glowering stare, that is dalton in his element. When Bond seduces Lucia, it doesn't feel like that is Craig demonstrating some magnetic effortless side of himself. It feels like a performance. Well acted, sure, but thats not really what Bond is about. Usually the mark of a good performance is that you lose the actor in the role, whereas with Bond it should be the opposite.
    All those things are literally those actors playing Bond though 😂 You may as well say ‘when Craig casually chucks the guy’s car keys and swaggers off in CR that’s Craig being Craig’.

If you mean they’re affectations/idiosyncratic looks or mannerisms, yeah, sure. But every actor has those, including Craig as Bond.
  • Informe_James_BondInforme_James_Bond Dominican Republic

He is too old and he looks old.

Is he too old?? :-O

But if he's just 40, he would be 41 or 42 by the time he plays the character (if he's cast). And he looks younger, it's like Brosnan was 41 years old for "GoldenEye".

;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    When you see the villains pull up along side bond, and roger gives the smile, that's just rog being rog. When Peirce skips across the road in hamburg in TND that's Peirce being Peirce, it's effortless. When Dalton says "I got the message" with that glowering stare, that is dalton in his element. When Bond seduces Lucia, it doesn't feel like that is Craig demonstrating some magnetic effortless side of himself. It feels like a performance. Well acted, sure, but thats not really what Bond is about. Usually the mark of a good performance is that you lose the actor in the role, whereas with Bond it should be the opposite.

Genuinely have no idea what you're talking about. You don't like Craig, got it; but they're all acting.

In the case of Brosnan in particular I really don't find it effortless- I can really feel him hitting the poses, running through his stock mannerisms.. I find his performances a touch forced and a lot of what he does rather affected. Doesn't stop him being effective, but I never feel like I'm watching a natural performance. But we all get different things from different slices of art.
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon

But if he's just 40, he would be 41 or 42 by the time he plays the character (if he's cast). And he looks younger, it's like Brosnan was 41 years old for "GoldenEye".

;)

Quite sure Turner looks a 100 times better than deke something!
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited May 13 Posts: 2,948
    Although when Bond gets exasperated with Q in SP ('Yes, I know that...get to the point!') that does sound like the sort of reputation that Dan had for being a bit grumpy and tetchy before he was Bond. ;) I do know what Mendes means about Aidan Turner himself being affable and lighthearted in interviews, but able to convey dark and brooding if the role required it. Ok, he's not as good an actor as Craig - but nor are any of the other recently suggested candidates, IMO, so that's not a deal-breaker for me. I'm torn with Turner - I do think he's the best 'Trad. Bond' option and I do think he'd be Cubby's choice if he was here, but do I actually want them to revert so closely to type? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I'm glad all over again that I don't have to make these decisions!

;)

Quite sure Turner looks a 100 times better than deke something!

I'm older than him. If that makes you happy...
    Agreed, I always got the sense Craig’s glibness (and to some even arrogance, if you can call it that) was translated through the character of Bond in his interpretation. Part of that may have been consciously in the writing but much of it is Craig channelling it for his performance…

So that’s to say he’s acting. Like all other Bonds did.
    edited May 13 Posts: 8,181
    007HallY wrote: »
    All those things are literally those actors playing Bond though 😂 You may as well say ‘when Craig casually chucks the guy’s car keys and swaggers off in CR that’s Craig being Craig’.

If you mean they’re affectations/idiosyncratic looks or mannerisms, yeah, sure. But every actor has those, including Craig as Bond.

In a normal role, you get lost in the performance so much you forget theres even an actor, whereas with bond when it's going well you forget there's even a role. It's just the actor doing what they do best with total conviction. Even during that scene where Craig moodily parks the car, I still think of him as playing a character first. Same goes for the scene with Lucia. I believe that the character of Bond is seducing a woman, but I don't believe that its coming natural to the actor, as if some innate quality true of them pouring forth, and that's how it should feel. It should feel effortless, like Brosnans seduction of the "little danish" woman at Oxford, or molly warmflash in TWINE.

So the question is, what comes effortlessly to Turner, and I think once you get down to it, he's really just an affable, lively chap. As @Venutius says, Turner would probably end up being a reversion to a much more conventional bond we're used to seeing, someone who brings the audience along for the ride, disarming in all the right ways, deadly in all the wrong ones. And in this age, when the world seems on the edge of turmoil, I can't say that's entirely a bad thing.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    So the question is, what comes effortlessly to Turner, and I think once you get down to it, he's really just an affable, lively chap. As @Venutius says, Turner would probably end up being a reversion to a much more conventional bond we're used to seeing, someone who brings the audience along for the ride, disarming in all the right ways, deadly in all the wrong ones. And in this age, when the world seems on the edge of turmoil, I can't say that's entirely a bad thing.

So when he played darkly serious Poldark for years (and most of his other roles in fact) he was really struggling? I just don't think that's what acting is.
    Also the problem with your assessment is that Craig comes across as a friendly, affable guy too. A little shy if anything. Therefore that's what his Bond should effortlessly have been too, but apparently it was awful. None of this really makes sense.
    Also the only interviews with Turner I've read, mostly when Poldark was about, he seemed a little prickly and defensive as I remember.

Picking someone based on what they're like in interviews rather than what their actual acting is like seems bonkers.

So when he played darkly serious Poldark for years (and most of his other roles in fact) he was really struggling? I just don't think that's what acting is.
    Also the problem with your assessment is that Craig comes across as a friendly, affable guy too. A little shy if anything. Therefore that's what his Bond should effortlessly have been too, but apparently it was awful. None of this really makes sense.

He wasn't struggling, just playing a part.

That's why bond is different from other roles, the objective is inverted. You aren't trying to lose yourself, but showcase your best qualities in as least self conscious way possible.

In a normal role, you get lost in the performance so much you forget theres even an actor, whereas with bond when it's going well you forget there's even a role. It's just the actor doing what they do best with total conviction. Even during that scene where Craig moodily parks the car, I still think of him as playing a character first. Same goes for the scene with Lucia. I believe that the character of Bond is seducing a woman, but I don't believe that its coming natural to the actor, as if some innate quality true of them pouring forth, and that's how it should feel. It should feel effortless, like Brosnans seduction of the "little danish" woman at Oxford, or molly warmflash in TWINE.

I think that's oversimplified. Like I said, each Bond actor brings something of themselves to a performance, but it's not so much that the audience sees them as Roger Moore or Pierce Brosnan or Daniel Craig, but Roger Moore's James Bond, Daniel Craig's James Bond etc. It's not dissimilar with what happens when a new actor becomes Dr. Who, or Batman, or indeed most other characters played by a range of different actors throughout a long period of time. They each bring something different while playing the same character. If you don't see them as James Bond on some level it falls apart.

Also, very weird way of describing that scene I mentioned in CR, and I suspect a bit purposely misleading. He parks the car, crashes it, swaggers off, and chucks the keys. It's such a typical Craig James Bond thing to do - the walk, how effortlessly he tosses the keys, the little look straight ahead and ever so slight hint of a smile beneath the steely expression. It's something people I know often cite as being Bondian and cool, very much indicative of Craig's Bond for them. No doubt Moore or Brosnan's Bond would have done it differently, perhaps given a smirk. Dalton's Bond may well have played it much more seriously etc. Again, these are different interpretations of the same character.

I personally don't see that with the Lucia example you cited. Actually I think the chemistry between Craig and Bellucci is pretty electric. If anything it's the Molly Warmflash in TWINE example I find ever so slightly contrived (the only thing that somewhat saves it is the writing and hammering home the fact that the good Doctor did indeed have a prior relationship with Bond, but otherwise I'm not sure if Brosnan's slightly smug smile and demand for a clean bill of health would be convincing for me, haha).

Hmm, I suspect you're projecting what you'd ideally like to see with a future James Bond onto an actor who seemingly isn't interested in this role, nor is it likely he'd even play the role in quite the way you're saying. But to each their own.

I think that's oversimplified. Like I said, each Bond actor brings something of themselves to a performance, but it's not so much that the audience sees them as Roger Moore or Pierce Brosnan or Daniel Craig, but Roger Moore's James Bond, Daniel Craig's James Bond etc. It's not dissimilar with what happens when a new actor becomes Dr. Who, or Batman, or indeed most other character played by a range of different actors throughout a long period of time. They each bring something different while playing the same character. If you don't see them as James Bond on some level it falls apart.

Also, very weird way of describing that scene I mentioned in CR, and I suspect a bit purposely misleading. He parks the car, crashes it, swaggers off, and chucks the keys. It's such a typical Craig James Bond thing to do - the walk, how effortlessly he tosses the keys, the little look straight ahead and ever so slight hint of a smile beneath the steely expression. It's something people I know often cite as being Bondian and cool, very much indicative of Craig's Bond for them. No doubt Moore or Brosnan's Bond would have done it differently, perhaps given a smirk. Dalton's Bond may well have played it much more seriously etc. Again, these are different interpretations of the same character.

I personally don't see that with the Lucia example you cited. Actually I think the chemistry between Craig and Bellucci is pretty electric. If anything it's the Molly Warmflash in TWINE example I find ever so slightly contrived (the only thing that somewhat saves it is the writing and hammering home the fact that the good Doctor did indeed have a prior relationship with Bond, but otherwise I'm not sure if Brosnan's slightly smug smile and demand for a clean bill of health would be convincing for me, haha).

Hmm, I suspect you're projecting what you'd ideally like to see with a future James Bond onto an actor who seemingly isn't interested in this role, nor is it likely he'd even play the role in quite the way you're saying. But to each their own.

You're still judging the performance, not the actor. That scene between Bond and Lucia, I don't doubt Craig is doing a good job selling it, but that's the difference, Moore isn't "selling" his eyebrow arching lines, it comes as natural to him in interviews as it does on screen. Same with brosnan and his natural, smooth charisma. I don't really feel like Craig reached that level until B25, ironically, where he played it a bit looser, and let his grumpy, irritable side out. Even though I don't like the film, I'd say B25 is where Craig finally let some of his personality seep in.

I think that's oversimplified. Like I said, each Bond actor brings something of themselves to a performance, but it's not so much that the audience sees them as Roger Moore or Pierce Brosnan or Daniel Craig, but Roger Moore's James Bond, Daniel Craig's James Bond etc. It's not dissimilar with what happens when a new actor becomes Dr. Who, or Batman, or indeed most other character played by a range of different actors throughout a long period of time. They each bring something different while playing the same character. If you don't see them as James Bond on some level it falls apart.

You're still judging the performance, not the actor. That scene between Bond and Lucia, I don't doubt Craig is doing a good job selling it, but that's the difference, Moore isn't "selling" his eyebrow arching lines, it comes as natural to him in interviews as it does on screen. Same with brosnan and his natural, smooth charisma. I don't really feel like Craig reached that level until B25, ironically, where he played it a bit looser, and let his grumpy, irritable side out. Even though I don't like the film, I'd say B25 is where Craig finally let some of his personality seep in.

Ok... very weird thing to say about judging the performance. This is what I have to go on, and what makes me personally feel whatever I do about these individual Bonds. Moore's eyebrow raises and Brosnan's smirks are, incidentally, very calculated and very much part of their performance. While individual to them as actors and likely built up prior to their Bond portrayal, they're just as much a part of their Bond portrayal as Connery's and Craig's natural swaggers/line deliveries and expressions were to them.

If you don't feel Craig is natural in the part, fair enough. I'm not going to argue with your individual impression of him in this role, and no one is going to change your mind on these forums. But I gave you one example of how I (and others I know) feel about his idiosyncrasies in this role, and I personally feel it's in keeping with the character/don't see anything that clashes fundamentally with Bond. I think his Bond portrayal is distinctive and yet in keeping with what I outlined.

I'll duck out of this conversation, but I will say sometimes you need to think out what you're writing in terms of your thoughts. I know we're all writing stuff off the top of our heads, and often we're wrong about certain details, and conversation can even change our perspectives about Bond, but I've noticed I and others can get a bit lost in what you're trying to say and don't quite understand your thought process. Sometimes very generalised ideas you have (while often fuelled by your dislike of Craig's Bond, which is fair enough if that's your gut feeling) get disproved with at least one example, which goes into a spiral of goalpost shifting and needless back and forth/repeating yourself without expanding further, as is the case here. You have some interesting ideas, some I really like, but you need to think them through a bit more mate and attempt to develop them in a way that's not always in the context of an argument. All the best :)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    @Mendes4Lyfe several people have asked the question, and you've ignored answering.
    Why do you refer to NTTD as B25?

Simple question.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited May 13 Posts: 8,023
    Benny wrote: »
    @Mendes4Lyfe several people have asked the question, and you've ignored answering.

Simple question.

It’s the “Lord Voldemort effect “
    “That” which must not be named.
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    talos7 wrote: »

Simple question.

It’s the “Lord Voldemort effect “
    “That” which must not be named.

Bond shalt not die!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.

Simple question.
    You think that's bad, I'm still calling GoldenEye 'B17' in hopes of a third Dalton film...
  • mattjoesmattjoes matjoevakia
    Come on, Mendes, we all imagine the answer anyway, so why don't you admit it? B25 is the Bond film that didn't deserve a proper title, isn't it? It's no big deal, everybody hates something sometime. I hate corn, or should I say, I hate C. Or perhaps by not telling, you're trying to create some kind of mystery and intrigue around your person. Perhaps it's working? I'm intrigued, then: What are you doing tonight?

QBranch wrote: »

Simple question.
    You think that's bad, I'm still calling GoldenEye 'B17' in hopes of a third Dalton film...
    Are you talking about movies... or vitamins?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Come on, Mendes, we all imagine the answer anyway, so why don't you admit it? B25 is the Bond film that didn't deserve a proper title, isn't it? It's no big deal, everybody hates something sometime. I hate corn, or should I say, I hate C. Or perhaps by not telling, you're trying to create some kind of mystery and intrigue around your person. Perhaps it's working? I'm intrigued, then: What are you doing tonight?
    No Time to Designate.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    QBranch wrote: »

Simple question.
    Are you talking about movies... or vitamins?
    Actually, I was talking about the Boeing B-17 'Flying Fortress' rescue plane from Thunderball, but then, a real Bond fan would know that. Which you are. And you do. Now.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Simple question.

It’s a way of getting attention, 🤷‍♂️?

• edited May 14 Posts: 3,097
    It's because apparently if you write NTTD three times in a single post a Daniel Craig appears and tries to steal your soul.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Because apparently if you write NTTD three times in a single post a Daniel Craig appears and tries to steal your soul.

😂 😂 😂
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    *enters thread, and sees the same members bickering for the umpteenth time*

tumblr_inline_oen7vh2gle1tae3h3_250.gifv

I'm going to need a stiffer drink.