Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited April 23 Posts: 14,840
    Kojak007 wrote: »
    Surprised nobody has mentioned Luke Newton (from "Bridgerton") yet. Too young, I guess. Don't know anything about his acting, haven't seen the show.

I think I might have had. I did mention a Bridgerton actor. At 31, he's not too young. At the pace things are going, he might be too old when the next Bond is cast.

I'm still advocating for my son: he's only seven, but he's British, he's very popular with girls, he's a fan (albeit he has yet to watch a full Bond movie) and he's got blue eyes. And like James Bond, he's from a mixed family.
    Luke Newton of the famous phsicist's family, or an heir to the fig cookie fortune ?
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    For me he's the least appealing of the Bridgerton candidates. I like Luke Thompson, who I felt had a certain amount of charisma in the show.
    ATJ wears two earrings on his left ear lol
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    How about Prince Albert?
    QBranch wrote: »
    How about Prince Albert?
    How did you know I have one of them.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited April 24 Posts: 2,934
    Surely, The Sun can spin that as Fiennes coming back as M in ATJ's first Bond film?
    As for Luke Newton, he sort of resembles a young Fred West...that'd be a bit of a hindrance, I feel.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Venutius wrote: »
    Surely, The Sun can spin that as Fiennes coming back as M in ATJ's first Bond film?
    As for Luke Newton, he sort of resembles a young Fred West...that'd be a bit of a hindrance, I feel.

They're working on the article now:

Since Taylor-Johnson has already been measured for the suits, shot the gun barrel, signed his contract six weeks ago, and is under a fifteen film contract to play James Bond, EoN has arranged that he will be shooting the, as yet, untitled new 007, on every odd day, while shooting 28 Days on every even day.

He will do the sequels to both films, back-to-back, say sources.

Sources also say that Mark Mylod will be directing the first of Taylor-Johnson's Bond pictures, with an eye on going "zany"...
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Can't imagine watching his performance in Godzilla and wanting it to happen again.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

Grow up.

https://decider.com/2018/07/13/harrison-ford-earring-celebration/
    echo wrote: »

Grow up.

eh ? what's that ? I can't HEAR you my ears are RINGing...
  • edited April 24 Posts: 2,952

Grow up.

Fun fact: Morgan Freeman wears gold earrings because of an old sailor tradition where if he dies on foreign land then they can be used to pay for his coffin…

Presumably he forgot he’s a famous multi millionaire, but oh well…

Grow up.

Haha feminine men. And don't insult me with cheap words.
  • For me he's the least appealing of the Bridgerton candidates. I like Luke Thompson, who I felt had a certain amount of charisma in the show.

Seems like he could be an interesting candidate.

• meshypushymeshypushy Ireland
    For anyone who has watched ‘The Gentlemen’ all the way through and fancies James as the next Bond (!), are there any specific episodes or scenes that stand out that give him a chance to demonstrate his range?
    I am not a Ritchie fan (to put it mildly), sat through the first episode but life is too short to waste another 7 hours on this twaddle.
    I’d be keen to see what James can do, outside of his White Lotus character, though.
    It’s a bit soon for any ‘best bits’ to emerge on YouTube.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Take 7 hours of your life and watch ‘The Gentleman’
    It’s worth the watch, or you can wait for another Theo James movie or show and see why people think he could be a credible and good Bond.
    Benny wrote: »
    It’s worth the watch, or you can wait for another Theo James movie or show and see why people think he could be a credible and good Bond.

Or I could avoid watching the full series, if someone pointed me to specific standout episodes / scenes / moments!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Good grief…🙄
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    meshypushy wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »

Or I could avoid watching the full series, if someone pointed me to specific standout episodes / scenes / moments!

Nothing like having an attitude when people are just trying to help. At this rate, go watch a clip or a trailer and decide for yourself.
    I don’t think I have an attitude - just a dislike for Guy Ritchie’s normal output. I was willing to park this to get a sense of Theo James’ range outside of what else I have seen him in, so I watched the first episode of ‘The Gentlemen’ (I have been excited to see the response of others to him as a potential Bond and like what I have seen of him so far).
    Having watched the first episode, I don’t have the appetite to watch the remaining seven hours and was hoping that someone (who also doesn’t have an attitude) might be able to point me to a standout episode, moments etc that they liked, in the context of James’ performance.
    I would think the above is a reasonable request, considering that I have explicitly stated that I am not a fan of Guy Ritchie.
    Being met with a ‘watch it all or wait for the next thing Theo James is in’ response is hardly what I would call a ‘positive attitude’, in response to my post.
    I was expecting someone perhaps to recall their favourite scene or something impressive that James might have done during the series, this being a thread where that has generally happened regarding other candidates.

Watch the second episode.
    I don’t think I have an attitude - just a dislike for Guy Ritchie’s normal output. I was willing to park this to get a sense of Theo James’ range outside of what else I have seen him in, so I watched the first episode of ‘The Gentlemen’ (I have been excited to see the response of others to him as a potential Bond and like what I have seen of him so far).
    Having watched the first episode, I don’t have the appetite to watch the remaining seven hours and was hoping that someone (who also doesn’t have an attitude) might be able to point me to a standout episode, moments etc that they liked, in the context of James’ performance.
    I would think the above is a reasonable request, considering that I have explicitly stated that I am not a fan of Guy Ritchie.
    Being met with a ‘watch it all or wait for the next thing Theo James is in’ response is hardly what I would call a ‘positive attitude’, in response to my post.
    I was expecting someone perhaps to recall their favourite scene or something impressive that James might have done during the series, this being a thread where that has generally happened regarding other candidates.

Do you want one of us to wipe your ass as well haha
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Trust me, you have an attitude. The suggestion to watch the series was friendly in tone and was only suggesting that while you may not like much of Ritchie's work , you may find this different; he does not direct all these episodes, only two .
    edited April 26 Posts: 38
    talos7 wrote: »

Trust me, you have an attitude. The suggestion to watch the series was friendly in tone and was only suggesting that while you may not like much of Ritchie's work , you may find this different; he does not direct all these episodes, only two .

Thank you for the additional context on what others have posted but please do not confuse my dislike of Ritchie with me having an attitude that might extend beyond that. I was attempting to get some context specifically on what others saw in James’ performance, in the form of a positive discussion.
    Barbara herself noted that she saw Craig walking in a scene in ‘Elizabeth’ as being a moment that demonstrated his Bondian qualities. I had hoped that others who had seen ‘The Gentlemen’ might have been keen to share similar experiences regarding James.
    In this thread, I previously noted that Taron Egerton would be my favoured candidate for Bond and suggested that folk watch his performance in ‘Blackbird’. If someone had asked me for specific moments or scenes that demonstrated his Bondian qualities, I would have been happy to discuss and not respond with an ‘eff off and watch the series’-type remark (again noting the previous discussion to date in this thread).
    Apologies to anyone I offended - my intent was positive.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 26 Posts: 14,986
    I couldn't get through the first episode either, it wasn't for me and there's too many other series I've enjoyed starting more to bother persevering with that one so I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to recommend any particular moments, sorry. I also wasn't struck by James in what I saw.

There was one bit that kind of annoyed me, I don't know if it was acting or direction, but James' character is shown a secret staircase in a container which he's very surprised by, and is lead down the staircase where he sees a secret drugs lab. But James plays it really casual with his eyes down until he gets to the bottom of the stairs and then looks up to see the lab, where I think most people would walk down a mystery set of stairs intrigued to see what's at the bottom and would be looking as they walked down, if you get what I mean? Just a really unnatural bit of acting (or direction of acting) which stood out to me.
    I was also less than convinced that a guy with fashionably unshaven stubble would last long in the army, but I guess that's artistic licence! :)

Thank you for the additional context on what others have posted but please do not confuse my dislike of Ritchie with me having an attitude that might extend beyond that. I was attempting to get some context specifically on what others saw in James’ performance, in the form of a positive discussion.
    Barbara herself noted that she saw Craig walking in a scene in ‘Elizabeth’ as being a moment that demonstrated his Bondian qualities. I had hoped that others who had seen ‘The Gentlemen’ might have been keen to share similar experiences regarding James.
    In this thread, I previously noted that Taron Egerton would be my favoured candidate for Bond and suggested that folk watch his performance in ‘Blackbird’. If someone had asked me for specific moments or scenes that demonstrated his Bondian qualities, I would have been happy to discuss and not respond with an ‘eff off and watch the series’-type remark (again noting the previous discussion to date in this thread).

Watched it all weeks ago. I couldn't get into The Gentlemen movie but I thought this was a decent series with good characters and story. I don't recall any moments where Theo James was demonstrating Bond qualities and I doubt you'll find anyone who can. Next Bond is way different than what can be scouted.

Watched it all weeks ago. I couldn't get into The Gentlemen movie but I thought this was a decent series with good characters and story. I don't recall any moments where Theo James was demonstrating Bond qualities and I doubt you'll find anyone who can. Next Bond is way different than what can be scouted.

That’s interesting to hear - I had noted a lot of chatter online recently about how ‘The Gentlemen’ was evidence that James would make a great casting for Bond. I never in my wildest dreams would’ve watched it otherwise.
    I think I’ll join @mtm in passing on the rest of the series…

That’s interesting to hear - I had noted a lot of chatter online recently about how ‘The Gentlemen’ was evidence that James would make a great casting for Bond. I never in my wildest dreams would’ve watched it otherwise.

He plays a cool leader character and probably would make a great casting for Bond. It's worth a watch. I watched a few episodes back-to-back so it must've had good pacing and sounds to keep me interested. Comedy was spot on too

He plays a cool leader character and probably would make a great casting for Bond. It's worth a watch. I watched a few episodes back-to-back so it must've had good pacing and sounds to keep me interested. Comedy was spot on too

Cheers - I’ll report back if I give the other episodes a spin.